• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Using my idea of Eevee using it's Z-Power to summon it's big bros (Eevee Thread, where this kinda talk should be happening) Eevee could summon Sylveon to use it's flesh bows to carry heavy things.
I have never heard anyone refer to Sylveon as having "flesh" bows and now you are making me sick over one of my favorite Pokemon :scared:.

Just to have a different topic:
Who are your favourite veteran and newcomer for each game?

Mine:
64: Ness
Melee: Jigglypuff/Peach
Brawl:Zelda/Olimar
For:Zero Suit Samus/Wii Fit Trainer
Brawl: Shiek(Unless Toon Link counts as Young Link which I usually do)/Metaknight
For: Mewtwo/Rosalina

I actually like almost exclusively newcomers in Smash For and saying Mewtwo felt like cheating. (Also I promise I wasn't copying you on the first two XD)

Zeox

Smash Champion
So, what new name this smash will have? Super Smash bros 5? Super Smash bros Z? Super Smash Bros: revenge of Waluigi?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have never heard anyone refer to Sylveon as having "flesh" bows and now you are making me sick over one of my favorite Pokemon :scared:.
Someone wasn't on the meme scene (*slaps self*) in the X&Y hype

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So, what new name this smash will have? Super Smash bros 5? Super Smash bros Z? Super Smash Bros: revenge of Waluigi?
I have a theory that there's a reason they haven't revealed the name yet (is it the only smash game to not have it's name revealed immediately?).
Something implying it's the last one maybe.

Also with Emily's tease I'm thinking something like Smash Ultimate. I honestly think they will stray away from Smash for Switch unless they are trying to sell it as a port/port+.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll go with simply Super Smash Bros.
Or Super Smash Brothers.
Simple is best.
Because Nintendo is late to all trends it didn't create itself, including the annoying thing of giving games the same name as the original.

So we'll be calling it Smash Bros Switch or Smash 2018 to avoid getting mixed up.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I heavily doubt it'll be just Super Smash Bros.

That would imply a reboot. Reboots traditionally only happen if the game has had a rocky recent history. Smash that is not.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does make sense if they want to make this game the be all end all of Smash. Even then I don't think it'll be the last unless it becomes a game's as a service model.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I heavily doubt it'll be just Super Smash Bros.

That would imply a reboot. Reboots traditionally only happen if the game has had a rocky recent history. Smash that is not.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does make sense if they want to make this game the be all end all of Smash. Even then I don't think it'll be the last unless it becomes a game's as a service model.
Yeah it being the last ever is super unlikely. But the whole games as a service model (if I'm thinking the same thing, a long life of continuous updates and dlc) seems like a good idea. It could be the last smash game for a decade or so, the longest break between smash games.

And I could see this being Sakurai's last especially if it's that long. I'm sure he'd still be a executive producer like Miyamoto is for his games, just not nearly as hands on as he is.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Because Nintendo is late to all trends it didn't create itself, including the annoying thing of giving games the same name as the original.

So we'll be calling it Smash Bros Switch or Smash 2018 to avoid getting mixed up.
I mean, 3DS and Wii U practically already were just named Super Smash Bros., just that they also had to specify the hardware in the title to ensure that absolutely nobody would get them mixed up, so...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
(is it the only smash game to not have it's name revealed immediately?)
Brawl and Smash 4's names weren't revealed when they were first announced, only when the first presentations for them came along at their respective E3s. Obviously this game is a little different in that we've already had a teaser trailer on top of the announcement, but I think that's just this game's equivalent of Iwata casually confirming the game, this upcoming E3 will still be considered the game's official presentation.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

Mine:
Ness
Ness/Marth
Ness/Diddy
Ness/WFT

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Brawl and Smash 4's names weren't revealed when they were first announced, only when the first presentations for them came along at their respective E3s. Obviously this game is a little different in that we've already had a teaser trailer on top of the announcement, but I think that's just this game's equivalent of Iwata casually confirming the game, this upcoming E3 will still be considered the game's official presentation.
That's the only thing I can think of. Yea the teaser really changed the flow of how smash games are announced. Earlier someone compared this info drought to the two year one from the announcement of Smash 4 to the official reveal, but this feels so much worse because we have footage. I do think it's weird that an official name wasn't announced.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Is there anyone who initially disliked a character but know loves them?
Robin

For those of you who were here during the Sm4sh phase, my sincere apologizes for the flaming I've caused because I really didn't want him in. Now, I see he's worth staying

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Trailer idea:

After the reveal of the Next Pokemon games, it looks like they're getting a CG trailer, with Pikachu and Eevee fighting against each other but then...

Darknes
Soft light
Eevee stares
Zoom in on eye

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's kinda unrelated, but it's also related to the mentality of the smash community.

Today, was datamined in the demo of Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, a game that is a crossover between Blazblue (mainly) Uniel, Persona 4 Arena and RWBY voices clip for two characters from Senran Kagura. Asuka and Yumi. (Which is a big surprise. And even if a developer on steam said that it was "junk data when the team was deciding which series to add" it feels way too convenient that they were found alongside the future DLC announcer call)

And I now realized the difference between the smash community and that game community.
In the Blazblue CTB community, we knew from the start it would be "Mainly Blazblue Cast featuring other characters from Uniel/Persona/RWBY" and everyone was mostly happy for every character that made it in because. Even if people complained that their main from their original game didn't made in. But in general they all appreciated each reveal nonetheless.

With the potential datamine of those two new guest, people where pretty happy...Some vocal hate, but that's it. Because for people that means even more potential new series or characters coming down the line.
Yet with the smash bros community- it's weird, people talk about Rep/Slot and such. And when it's comes to guest recently I saw a vocal "URHG BUT THIS IS A NINTENDO GAME! THEY SHOULD GO! OR THERE SHOULDNT BE MORE" or People arguing about X series getting Y representation and not just enjoy the party that is all those licence comming together and celebrating each new addition no matter who you support.

I dunno if Smash fans have this "elitist" behaviour on purpose or if it's just a big resonance box.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m still holding out hope for ”Super Smash Bros. Kerfuffle”, personally.

/s

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's kinda unrelated, but it's also related to the mentality of the smash community.

Today, was datamined in the demo of Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, a game that is a crossover between Blazblue (mainly) Uniel, Persona 4 Arena and RWBY voices clip for two characters from Senran Kagura. Asuka and Yumi. (Which is a big surprise. And even if a developer on steam said that it was "junk data when the team was deciding which series to add" it feels way too convenient that they were found alongside the future DLC announcer call)

And I now realized the difference between the smash community and that game community.
In the Blazblue CTB community, we knew from the start it would be "Mainly Blazblue Cast featuring other characters from Uniel/Persona/RWBY" and everyone was mostly happy for every character that made it in because. Even if people complained that their main from their original game didn't made in. But in general they all appreciated each reveal nonetheless.

With the potential datamine of those two new guest, people where pretty happy...Some vocal hate, but that's it. Because for people that means even more potential new series or characters coming down the line.
Yet with the smash bros community- it's weird, people talk about Rep/Slot and such. And when it's comes to guest recently I saw a vocal "URHG BUT THIS IS A NINTENDO GAME! THEY SHOULD GO! OR THERE SHOULDNT BE MORE" or People arguing about X series getting Y representation and not just enjoy the party that is all those licence comming together and celebrating each new addition no matter who you support.

I dunno if Smash fans have this "elitist" behaviour on purpose or if it's just a big resonance box.
I mean, in Crosstag Battle it was rather obvious: Blazblue got the most characters, UNIEL and P4A got equal and RWBY just its titular characters. I think there was some complaints about too many Blazblue/too little RWBY characters and P4 not getting all of the Investigation Team... but you are right, it was far more chill.

Smash probably wouldn't get so many salt if most franchises gets a newcomer in every game but I agree with you: People are focusing too much on what's NOT in the game, rather than appreciating in-game content.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mean, in Crosstag Battle it was rather obvious: Blazblue got the most characters, UNIEL and P4A got equal and RWBY just its titular characters. I think there was some complaints about too many Blazblue/too little RWBY characters and P4 not getting all of the Investigation Team... but you are right, it was far more chill.

Smash probably wouldn't get so many salt if most franchises gets a newcomer in every game but I agree with you: People are focusing too much on what's NOT in the game, rather than appreciating in-game content.
I only barely looked into it since I'm not familiar, but generally every series involved got a new character added correct? I agree that if smash got that treatment there would be at least a little less pessimisim. But with how many series are being represented (even just counting the main ones) that would be pretty hard to do.

Smash fans are super passionate and the lengthy speculation periods don't help. Maybe this release will be met with less salt because of the quick turnaround?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Nintendo has multiple mega hit game series spanning 30+ years. People have grown up with the characters over that time and thus feel more passionately about those characters that meant so much to them in their formative years.

Blazblue whilst pretty great hasn't had the time to resonate with people in the same way Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario, Pokémon, Zelda or Metroid has.

Alternatively if you want a more cynical view; the Sonic fandom can be toxic, the Mario fandom can be toxic, the Fire Emblem fandom can be toxic, the Pokémon fandom etc, etc can all be pretty toxic. You throw all these fans who can be brash and opinionated into the same game and only have time to add so many newcomers ea h game with usually long gaps between releases(5mash being unusually quick) and of course things are gonna get ugly as some fans feel their favourites keep getting snubbed.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The Smash fanbase is the way it is partially because it's a combination of different Nintendo fanbases all joining together, with people having their own specific wants and expectations for something as big as Smash. As not every demand will be satisfied and not every character added is in due to popularity, it is no surprise that the Smash fanbase is as bad as it is. The childish reactions to the absolutely fanservice-filled Brawl roster when it was leaked proves that, because apparently the Brawl roster wasn't good enough.:rolleyes:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I’d like to think it was named Super Smash Bros Battle Royale and they already had all of the art and marketing ready. Then the Battle Royale genre blew up and they are trying to come up with a different name.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Original names of first three games were:

Nintendo All Star! Dairantō Smash Brothers

Dairantō Smash Brothers D X
Dairantō Smash Brothers X

So I'm not expecting anything really creative.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

A better example than the BBCTB one, IMO, is Injustice 2 with its guest characters.

Naturally, there are those who are NRS purists and as such, are okay with numerous guest character additions (specifically from other NRS games such as Mortal Kombat). But there is also a large vocal part of the community that gets upset when we lose out on potential newcomers in favor of crossover additions. Perhaps the best example being Raiden from MK (and Black Lightning as a skin/palette swap for him) over the widely asked for addition of Static Shock (apparently was in consideration at some point, but ultimately didn't happen).

In comparison, the other guest additions are met with completely different tone/reception. Hellboy and the TMNT obviously had people that didn't even like/play DC or NRS games excited. Naturally there was still a vocal minority that was upset for the same reasons, but it was more or less drowned out by the star status/ridiculousness of a crossover between related franchises that weren't even considered when thinking of "Who from the DC universe could they add next?"

Smash has a lot of the same vocal minority/hivemind mentality as present in both the above and more examples. But obviously it's a case-by-case scenario, with the truth always being that the vocal minority does not speak for the vast majority. Smash in particular clings to its roots because the idea of "Nintendo only" still clings with us because of it being such a strong premise. But as many have stated here and elsewhere, it's an outdated view that shouldn't restrict things like third party characters for the same reason both guests in BBTAG/Injustice and other games like Tekken 7/Soul Calibur 6 don't. Gameplay being awesome and crossovers we otherwise would only dream of is what remains so appealing about Smash in particular.

I'm droning on at this point, but feel it needs to be said every once in a while, especially with the prevalence of those "I really hope we don't get third parties/it stays Nintendo-only this time" posts.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Original names of first three games were:

Nintendo All Star! Dairantō Smash Brothers
Dairantō Smash Brothers D X
Dairantō Smash Brothers X

So I'm not expecting anything really creative.
Smash Switch will be:

Dairantō Smash Brothers XXX

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

Mine:
64: Luigi
Melee: Luigi/Peach
Brawl: Jigglypuff/Sonic
SSB4: Dr. Mario/Duck Hunt

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I keep seeing Emily's name being thrown around. Is this Emily Rogers? Also, I just did a search, and don't see anything recent on my google results. Can someone point me to her "tease"?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The nature of the Smash fanbase is pretty much the reason why Emily Roger's statement about the roster doesn't really mean much.

On a different topic, I hope the Inklings get a gameplay trailer at E3.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I keep seeing Emily's name being thrown around. Is this Emily Rogers? Also, I just did a search, and don't see anything recent on my google results. Can someone point me to her "tease"?
She basically teased that the roster will make us happy and that it is amazing. It will make us jump out our seats and she believes there will be few to no cuts because they (Namco, Sakurai, Nintendo or whoever) said they are making the ultimate Smash roster.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Um, actually I'm a Blazblue and Under Night player and a pretty big RWBY fan. I've been watching the talk since the reveal amongst the other fandom's and player's and it got pretty bad.

Especially some Guilty Gear players. They were PISSED that Rwbyy got in but they didn't. And then more stuff about who's mains deserve to be in and how many each game should recieve which ultimately hurt the RWBY fanbase that expected "equal treatment."

I don't think its fair to say "Smash is elitist" when most other series haven't had to deal with this kind of situation before. Look at Tekken 7's scene. There are posts everyday on every form of media saying "WE WANT TEKKEN CHARACTERS NOT *blank dlc*"

We are equally terrible. One community is not any cooler or better or more chill than they other. We all have toxic people and we all have really cool people that just want to have fun with their game.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
She basically teased that the roster will make us happy and that it is amazing. It will make us jump out our seats and she believes there will be few to no cuts because they (Namco, Sakurai, Nintendo or whoever) said they are making the ultimate Smash roster.
Do you have a link to this?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why everybody ignores my boy, Bewear?

Would be a cool grappler.

It's popular, cute and appears in the anime a lot.

It even appeared during the Pokemon Switch announcement!
Bewear has to be my third favorite Alola Pokémon. #1 is Alola Meowth and #2 is Decidueye. All three getting in Smash as playable fighters would be wonderful.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Mine:
64: :yoshi64:
Melee: :yoshimelee:/:bowsermelee: + :peachmelee:
Brawl::yoshi2:/:pt: + :wario:
Sm4sh: :4yoshi:/:4pacman: + :4ludwig:

...I may be slightly bias.

Although worth noting :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser: are always close behind my namesake in playability in all the games they appear in.

I just have a Mario Bros. bias it seems. Except :rosalina:. Only Mario character I just can't gel with or seem to enjoy playing no matter what I do.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Why do people continue to put so much stock in Emily Rogers?

I swear, she throws out a new “leak” every month, and half the time it’s total BS. Why is her word gospel to so many people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom