• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So Emily knows some of the newcomers, but doesn't know all of the roster? That's correct right?
No, it appears she knows of the roster. But she's keeping it quiet to build up hype.

Even if she does really know, it's clearly just her opinion of it, so this doesn't apply to really anyone else.

Fake or not, this could at least invite some extra hype, so it's not entirely a bad thing.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Why do people continue to put so much stock in Emily Rogers?

I swear, she throws out a new “leak” every month, and half the time it’s total BS. Why is her word gospel to so many people?
Just like you said, "half the time". She has gotten some things right before, so she at least has some credibility.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Cutting down attention on newcomers and focusing on getting back the likes of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu would be a waste of Sakurai's time. Because those characters? They're not gonna sell a new addition to the series. Sorry to their fans but it's the hard core truth.

The only cut veterans with any true clout to selling a title based on return are Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. And the first one? That's probably not gonna happen sadly.

Newcomers sell the series and always have. Even with an ''ultimate roster" I wouldn't expect anything more than three above to return. Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back on their own is unlikely.

The trainer concept while nice, would just make Charizard the most popular Pokemon of the bunch feel odd being mushed back into a concept after being alone in the last game seem weird.

Young Link is redundant because Toon Link is essentially Young Link.

And Pichu is a failed experiment in trying to make another Pikachu like success by Game Freak. Let alone the series only true joke character.
I said it would be big hitter newcomers though. The kind that can sell the game with less newcomers overall.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I said it would be big hitter newcomers though. The kind that can sell the game with less newcomers overall.
More time spent on any kind of newcomers? Good.

More time spent on unnecessary veterans? Not so good.

That's the entire point of the post.

''Heavy hitting" is subjective anyways.

Especially in a fanbase that has had difficulties understanding why people like Pac Man, Ryu, and Cloud are big deals, but turn around and get why Mega Man is for some reason.

Not to even touch that we've had the Lara Croft discussion seventy billion times now and still to this day people still don't understand she's the most iconic female video game character for some reason.

It just goes to show while Lara Croft is heavy hitting to some?

Some anime chick from an uprising Nintendo franchise is heavy hitting?

And to others? Both are.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm gonna say something crazy, I'm gonna say that there will be no cuts in this new smash roster, in fact, I'm gonna say that every character from every smash is gonna return, that means I think that all smash 4 characters + Wolf, Pichu, Snake and ice climbers...
+ new smash characters.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really doubt Sakurai would settle for few newcomer characters for a Smash sequel. Melee had 14, Brawl had 18 and Smash 4 had 17, so somewhere around 15 seems pretty reasonable.

Some anime chick from an uprising Nintendo franchise is heavy hitting?
Which character are you referring to?

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Why can't E3 be in May?

This wait is killing me.
For real. Probaby one of the slowest waits until E3 for me, just because the Switch and their games.

I swear, she throws out a new “leak” every month, and half the time it’s total BS. Why is her word gospel to so many people?
Dude because she's been right very frequently. She's not right all the time but definitely enough to pay attention to her.

Sorry for the double post, was too late to multi-quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I swear Emily gets too much heat.

And it's funny because sometimes ya'll eat up every word she says because you like what she says.

Then others? She's not to be trusted.

If she sprouted out ''Smash Switch has Ridley, Waluigi, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Isaac."

Ya'll would be all up on that like ''I really hope she's right!"

She brings forth **** like Star Fox Grand Prix, Mario X Rabbids (which ending up being a good game lol), and Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee and ya'll want to have her head served on a platter.

She's just human, as are her sources. She'll get things wrong, they'll get things wrong, they'll get things right, and sometimes things will change. It doesn't make her this malicious liar that a lot of these posts have undertones of.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It shouldn't be gospel to anyone, but it's not some 50/50 thing. Disregarding currently unconfirmed claims, she's batting at like .800. Lately, maybe even more. That's pretty good.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/switch-rumor-archive-redux-read-posting-rules-in-op.27744/
Search for Emily.

That said, this is not a claim to get hung up on, because it's little more than a slight tease. Just carry on as normal.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No, it appears she knows of the roster. But she's keeping it quiet to build up hype.

Even if she does really know, it's clearly just her opinion of it, so this doesn't apply to really anyone else.

Fake or not, this could at least invite some extra hype, so it's not entirely a bad thing.
I would say the opposite, she seems to be aware of the additions, but the full thing is not certain as she states she doesn't think there will be many or any cuts rather then knows there won't be. If she was aware of the roster, she'd likely use a more definitive statement for that, but she still leaves room for the possibility of cuts despite her doubts.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would say the opposite, she seems to be aware of the additions, but the full thing is not certain as she states she doesn't think there will be many or any cuts rather then knows there won't be. If she was aware of the roster, she'd likely use a more definitive statement for that, but she still leaves room for the possibility of cuts despite her doubts.
Well, being vague makes her harder to out in general. Though to be fair, I guess that wouldn't much matter since her information is public knowledge.

But that's a good point too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd still be very skeptical because of how many things she's gotten wrong.
That doesn't automatically make her wrong always.

Which is the feeling A LOT of you are going for.

Skepticism is fine at any time, but 80 percent of you aren't even entertaining the possibility of her being right at a one percent level, when she's been RIGHT just as many times as she was wrong.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I think looking at the link Neon posted gives a more accurate view on Emily than a post only showing the times when she's wrong. Better context. But this does show that at the VERY least she can have very outdated information and might be told incorrect things. But as a person, I believe her to generally be honest and giving the best info she can.

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, it’s never really a good idea to get hung up on leaks or take them too seriously, whether they’re true or not... but in this case of ”Smash roster will be hype” even less so, like, that gives us no information whatsoever haha.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Only posting everything she's gotten wrong or gotten right is crafting a narrative. Look at all her claims and come to a decision on your own. Even Emily herself has cautioned to maintain skepticism, but given her ratio of correct to incorrect information, you may see why people don't dismiss her.

That said, again, this one instance is not worth dwelling on, because it stirs the pot but tells... almost nothing.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think looking at the link Neon posted gives a more accurate view on Emily than a post only showing the times when she's wrong. Better context. But this does show that at the VERY least she can have very outdated information and might be told incorrect things. But as a person, I believe her to generally be honest and giving the best info she can.
Exactly this. She's an honest person. It doesn't mean she's always given honest information. While it does hurt her reputation due to that, she's not trying to pull anyone's leg.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I swear Emily gets too much heat.

And it's funny because sometimes ya'll eat up every word she says because you like what she says.

Then others? She's not to be trusted.

If she sprouted out ''Smash Switch has Ridley, Waluigi, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Isaac."

Ya'll would be all up on that like ''I really hope she's right!"

She brings forth **** like Star Fox Grand Prix, Mario X Rabbids (which ending up being a good game lol), and Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee and ya'll want to have her head served on a platter.

She's just human, as are her sources. She'll get things wrong, they'll get things wrong, they'll get things right, and sometimes things will change. It doesn't make her this malicious liar that a lot of these posts have undertones of.
Some people just like to watch the world burn

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really doubt Sakurai would settle for few newcomer characters for a Smash sequel. Melee had 14, Brawl had 18 and Smash 4 had 17, so somewhere around 15 seems pretty reasonable.

Which character are you referring to?
SSB5 could very well have 24 newcomers.

Smash 64 had 12. 2 x 6 = 12
Melee had 14. 2 x 7 = 14

Brawl had 18. 3 x 6 = 18
SSB4 had 21. 3 x 7 = 21

SSB5 could have 24. 4 x 6 = 24

See? That's the "pattern" I noticed. :awesome: :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Can I just say that i’m not at all surprised that now everybody expects a Gen 1 Pokémon. The roster was decided in 2016, which would insinuate a focus on Sun and Moon.

It’s alright to get excited. But this is literally the same thing as “ZOMG CRASH AND SPYRO IN SMISH”. No. That’s not how this works. Characters are chosen at the start of development. A game getting announced doesn’t suddenly mean a character is suddenly more likely.

Or, at the very least, speculation that isn’t based on much of anything might go along with that. Not to throw shade, but this literally happens EVERY SINGLE TIME a new game is announced/comes out.

Could some characters be chosen in accordance with a game coming out? Yes. That can happen. Sakurai also had access to Gen 1 stuff at any time, assuming that was the plan in 2016 and even Game Freak had this idea concrete in their minds.

It’s mainly probably a knee jerk reaction of hype to discount the chances of a Sun/Moon character. We should care about Pokémon representation outside of Gen 1. That doesn’t mean Gen 1 should never get anything playable ever again, but there are relevant and good choices from Gen 7 still. Decidueye and Mimikyu, or a few other choices still sound great to me.

Don’t let the hype of other games make you think that literally everything ever has Smash Bros. implications. Not everything does.

EDIT: Not to mention, i’ve heard people saying that Mimikyu is still just as likely, but Decidueye isn’t as likely. That’s probably one of the most Smashboards-selective arguments i’ve ever heard of. Mimikyu being popular gives it some cred, but if a new game harms ones chances, it harms both. When we get selective, we lose credibility.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Anyone could say the roster will make you excited, and would probably be correct... It's Smash... lol
I have zero knowledge and I could say that with like a 99% chance of appearing to have knowledge.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No leaker who puts his or her name out there consistently ever gets everything right every time, this isn't just a rule for Nintendo or even video game related matters, but also the wider world.

I'm a huge football fan (or soccer, depending on where you live), and last summer I listened to a podcast interview with someone who publishes a lot of inside knowledge of the club I support (Man City), and it really gave me a new perspective on the "job" of a leaker. The nature of the beast simply means you can't get everything right, because 99% of the time the leaker himself doesn't have a direct line to what he's leaking, but rather he has multiple sources that provide him with the information, and because of this the leaker's reliability is always at the mercy of the sources' credibility. It's up to the leaker which sources he trusts enough to actually publish the claims, and as such the job isn't so much about getting the information, but filtering what you think might be right. There are also a lot of other hurdles too, like things can change in between when you publish something and when said thing was supposed to happen, so even if the information you got was correct at the time your credibility would still take a blow in the public's eyes, and of course sometimes an otherwise reliable source might intentionally be fed false information so that the organization knows where the leak is and they can plug the gap.

There are like a million things that can go wrong for a leaker, and I imagine it's no different in the video game industry which can be very hectic and lots of last minute decisions are made, not to mention plans are sometimes changed in response to a credible leak getting out there. This post isn't meant to excuse your average GameFAQs/4chan text leak, neither is it really targeted at anyone around here in particular, but my point is basically that you can't completely discredit someone like Emily Rogers, who's been in the industry for a while and has proven to have legitimite sources in the past, entirely just because she's also gotten things wrong before, and to claim that she's actually making things up is pretty disrespectful. Obviously this leak in particular isn't really worth writing a huge defensive post about, and neither am I saying we should blindly believe everything known leakers say, I myself am of the mentality to always be skeptical any leaks, but it's really just to get that bit of perspective out there, and going forward then hopefully if someone of her status does publish something and it turns out to be wrong, people will think a bit before going bonkers at them on Twitter.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anyone could say the roster will make you excited, and would probably be correct... It's Smash... lol
I have zero knowledge and I could say that with like a 99% chance of appearing to have knowledge.
Everyone will get excited. Happy excited and salty excited.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Can I just say that i’m not at all surprised that now everybody expects a Gen 1 Pokémon. The roster was decided in 2016, which would insinuate a focus on Sun and Moon.

It’s alright to get excited. But this literally the same thing as “ZOMG CRASH AND SPYRO IN SMISH”. No. That’s not how this works. Characters are chosen at the start of development. A game getting announced doesn’t suddenly mean a character is suddenly more likely.

Or, at the very least, speculation that isn’t based on much of anything might go along with that. Not to throw shade, but this literally happens EVERY SINGLE TIME a new game is announced/comes out.

Could some characters be chosen in accordance with a game coming out? Yes. That can happen. Sakurai also had access to Gen 1 stuff at any time, assuming that was the plan in 2016 and even Game Freak had this idea concrete in their minds.

It’s mainly probably a knee jerk reaction of hype to discount the chances of a Sun/Moon character. We should care about Pokémon representation outside of Gen 1. That doesn’t mean Gen 1 should never get anything playable ever again, but there are relevant and good choices from Gen 7 still. Decidueye and Mimikyu, or a few other choices still sound great to me.

Don’t let the hype of other games make you think that literally everything ever has Smash Bros. implications. Not everything does.
inb4Gengarandeveryonelosestheir****

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I mean the roster was decided in 2016

Most likely the newcomer choices are based off how people voted

A few are based from the same ways as before

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm pretty sure characters could've been chosen later after the roster was finalized and put in for DLC. Thoughts?

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice

What Pokemon are y'all rooting to be in Smash Switch?
Aside from the obvious Pikachu, I'd be incredibly disappointed if any of Lucario, Charizard, Greninja or Mewtwo didn't make it back. Given all 4 are stupidly popular and Mewtwo was a pretty big success as DLC I can't see any leaving (I imagine Mewtwo's positive reception, and that of other DLC, will let those characters leapfrog some base roster Smash 4 characters in priority).

Currently I still think Generation 7 has a very good chance of getting playable representation in Smash, because those games did celebrate the 20th Anniversary and have been an enormous success, and work with the project plan timing extraordinarily well. I would most want to see Lycanroc and Mimikyu, but most popular Gen 7 choices would be fantastic. I can also see GO and, if Sakurai was made aware of it, Let's Go! Pikachu & Eevee bringing a new Gen 1 Pokemon into the fray. Eevee strikes me as a breakout possibility with the new leaks (being all but confirmed now), with a moveset revolving around using Helping Hand and calling its evolutions rather than the more crude evolving and devolving gimmick some suggest, and an obvious Final Smash of Extreme Evoboost.

However, this wide variety of high priority inclusions makes me feel like, if Eevee gets a big push from TPCi, Jigglypuff may get the short end of the stick this time and be bumped out for being low priority. I don't think Original 12 status actually means much in the grand scheme of things, and if Pokemon gets 2 newcomers I think her cut is a very genuine possibility.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

And obviously games currently in development. It's possible Pokemon Switch had the right timing to get a character. But it could simply be DLC too. Just for an example.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

It’s alright to get excited. But this literally the same thing as “ZOMG CRASH AND SPYRO IN SMISH”. No. That’s not how this works. Characters are chosen at the start of development. A game getting announced doesn’t suddenly mean a character is suddenly more likely.

EDIT: Not to mention, i’ve heard people saying that Mimikyu is still just as likely, but Decidueye isn’t as likely. That’s probably one of the most Smashboards-selective arguments i’ve ever heard of. Mimikyu being popular gives it some cred, but if a new game harms ones chances, it harms both. When we get selective, we lose credibility.
I think Rex and Springman are stretches tbh but expecting Pokemon based on the next game, FE16 or MP4 characters is straight up dumb as hell imo

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
However, this wide variety of high priority inclusions makes me feel like, if Eevee gets a big push from TPCi, Jigglypuff may get the short end of the stick this time and be bumped out for being low priority. I don't think Original 12 status actually means much in the grand scheme of things, and if Pokemon gets 2 newcomers I think her cut is a very genuine possibility.
Pokemon might be the Fire Emblem of this game. Everyone thinks there will be a newcomer and a cut... but no, everyoneand Pichu returns and also we get two more.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Aside from the obvious Pikachu, I'd be incredibly disappointed if any of Lucario, Charizard, Greninja or Mewtwo didn't make it back. Given all 4 are stupidly popular and Mewtwo was a pretty big success as DLC I can't see any leaving (I imagine Mewtwo's positive reception, and that of other DLC, will let those characters leapfrog some base roster Smash 4 characters in priority).

Currently I still think Generation 7 has a very good chance of getting playable representation in Smash, because those games did celebrate the 20th Anniversary and have been an enormous success, and work with the project plan timing extraordinarily well. I would most want to see Lycanroc and Mimikyu, but most popular Gen 7 choices would be fantastic. I can also see GO and, if Sakurai was made aware of it, Let's Go! Pikachu & Eevee bringing a new Gen 1 Pokemon into the fray. Eevee strikes me as a breakout possibility with the new leaks (being all but confirmed now), with a moveset revolving around using Helping Hand and calling its evolutions rather than the more crude evolving and devolving gimmick some suggest, and an obvious Final Smash of Extreme Evoboost.

The internet would lose their mind if someone like Jiggs got cut for Eevee. Wait for the riots to happen and Puff is back as DLC lol

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't believe some people actually believe that Jigglypuff is more likely to get cut than Mewtwo, a character she outprioritised in Smash 64, Brawl and Smash 4. And no, Mewtwo's popularity doesn't make him immune to getting cut again.

I feel it's going to be a mix of a few ballot choices and mostly characters active during the Wii U/3DS era.

I think Rex and Springman are stretches tbh but expecting Pokemon based on the next game, FE16 or MP4 characters is straight up dumb as hell imo
Unless they're last-minute clones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom