• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
ARMS talk, eh?

Arguments could be made for almost every character, though ultimately Spring Man will be the first rep announced, being the face of the series and being in almost all promotional material. It'd be like having Pokemon representation but not having Pikachu.

Ignoring him, almost all of em could be given unique attacks and mechanics to make them different from the rest of the cast. I think our realistically best case scenario is a Ribbon Girl [semi-]clone or a Springtron alt/[semi-]clone, though it'd be cool seeing other characters like Max Brass, Dr. Coyle, Min Min, and Twintelle making it in.

Staarih

Smash Master
The main hook of ARMS is, well, the arms (attached to the characters' springy arms). So the moveset for a Smash rep is going to most likely revolve around that, and I honestly think they will keep it as basic as possible, as it's already a unique concept in Smash to begin with. So, I'm guessing whoever will make it (Spring Man imo) will not have any character-specific mechanics/gimmicks like they would in ARMS, which is why I'd accept Ribbon Girl as a Spring Man alt, seeing as she is pretty much the poster girl next to the poster boy. I'm also picturing different moves using different arms -> so going beyond a three arm limit (unlike in ARMS). Smash likes to do its own thing. But we'll see how things turn out.

...and this is assuming an ARMS character will even make it. We've discussed the "too new?" thing to death so I'm not going to take it there too much, but I personally think it could happen and would make sense. Even if it's a whole new IP, it's developed by the Mario Kart team so expectations/support we're probably set from the get go. But sure, if not base roster, then ARMS DLC is a given.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I keep trying to think of possible 3rd Party reps, and I want to know what everyone thinks of characters like Monster Hunter, Hero (Dragon Quest), Spyro, Crash, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine (Resident Evil), Lara Croft, Steve (Minecraft), Scorpion or Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat).

They are the only 3rd Parties I can think of right now. I know some don’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell, but just curious. I’ve been interested in Lara Croft lately. Ms. Adventure Game to Ryu’s Mr. Fighting Game and Cloud’s Mr. JRPG.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I keep trying to think of possible 3rd Party reps, and I want to know what everyone thinks of characters like Monster Hunter, Hero (Dragon Quest), Spyro, Crash, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine (Resident Evil), Lara Croft, Steve (Minecraft), Scorpion or Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat).

They are the only 3rd Parties I can think of right now. I know some don’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell, but just curious. I’ve been interested in Lara Croft lately. Ms. Adventure Game to Ryu’s Mr. Fighting Game and Cloud’s Mr. JRPG.
I'd argue that, of the ones listed, only Steve has a legitimate chance.

That said, don't forget Rayman or Bomberman. (I'd also say the ballot made Sora a possibility, albeit an iffy one.)

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Reading through the topic.
I knew that salt was used to keep Meat fresh before- but I wouldn't think that two year later people would still have some beef with Cloud and Bayonetta being added.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Alright. I might be a little late to this Spring Man will be an AT if ARMS is getting one talk, but I have to disagree. If Spring Man is not in the base roster he would not end up as an AT. The main reason for this is that it would completely rule him out as being a DLC fighter, like Ridley and Pyrosphere in Sm4sh.

I could see Master Mummy, or even Helix, get in as the AT if Spring Man is not in the base roster so he can jump in as DLC down the track. That being said, I do think he could make the base roster.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Banjo is there too. He apparently has the support of the Xbox head.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
That is hella a place holder.

Gamestop always does December 31st of year as a place holder when all we know is the relase year. A lot of other places too.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

osby

Smash Obsessed
That is hella a place holder.

Gamestop always does December 31st of year as a place holder when all we know is the relase year. A lot of other places too.
Yep, I thought it might be that too, thanks. It's obvious I'm not really familiar with these things.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

-Monster Hunter is pretty slept on. It's been selling between 2-4 million per entry for the past seven years in Japan, and it's been growing in the west even before World as 4U and Generation broke the million mark internationally. It's a franchise that really shouldn't be ignored when it comes to speculation as its a huge rising success.

-Dragon Quest is in the same boat, a huge franchise in Japan that while not as successful in the west, still isn't quite an unknown. It also has history on its side as it's been around even longer then Final Fantasy, which proves its longevity.

-Lara Croft is like Cloud, she breaks a couple conventions, but when you think about it she's a character that has a notable presence in culture and a lot of fame and history to her. That in addition to the success of her revival would make her a very sensible addition to the roster.

- Spyro and Crash I doubt since their revivals may've come too late to make a mark on Sakurai. Spyro also has the secondary issue of his franchise not being popular in Japan due to the poor localization of it, making it harder for him to get attention compared to other characters.

-Mortal Kombat from my understanding is very unpopular in Japan and some of its games haven't even been localized there, so I doubt either Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be added.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honest question. People keep thinking Sora is a "no-no" because of THE MOUSE-
However, as we saw recently, Disney have been "more open" with Kingdom Hearts License. By allowing Square to get Sora as a DLC for their World of Final Fantasy Games.
And in their Mobile Game Record Keeper.

Alongside that, they've been more than Aware about Fan's love for Kingdom Hearts, where it Trump ANY movie and even Star Wars announcement at their Disney Event where it's appears.
Knowing that KHIII is set to be released this year, do you think they could let Sora in for Marketing Purpose?

And if you let Sora in the choice of your Third Party list. Would he suddenly rise up in "priority" if you forget his issue with Disney?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honest question. People keep thinking Sora is a "no-no" because of THE MOUSE-
However, as we saw recently, Disney have been "more open" with Kingdom Hearts License. By allowing Square to get Sora as a DLC for their World of Final Fantasy Games.
And in their Mobile Game Record Keeper.

Alongside that, they've been more than Aware about Fan's love for Kingdom Hearts, where it Trump ANY movie and even Star Wars announcement at their Disney Event where it's appears.
Knowing that KHIII is set to be released this year, do you think they could let Sora in for Marketing Purpose?

And if you let Sora in the choice of your Third Party list. Would he suddenly rise up in "priority" if you forget his issue with Disney?
If Disney isn't a factor, only thing really going against him is Kingdom Hearts being a Final Fantasy crossover, but since guest characters are selected as characters, not game representatives, I don't see it being a big problem.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'd argue that, of the ones listed, only Steve has a legitimate chance.

That said, don't forget Rayman or Bomberman. (I'd also say the ballot made Sora a possibility, albeit an iffy one.)
It may just be me, but I don’t see Rayman and Bomberman with the same prestige in the likes of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud. Bayonetta is in a separate boat because she essentially won a popularity contest, and I love her addition and thinks she fits well into Smash. I digress.

-Monster Hunter is pretty slept on. It's been selling between 2-4 million per entry for the past seven years in Japan, and it's been growing in the west even before World as 4U and Generation broke the million mark internationally. It's a franchise that really shouldn't be ignored when it comes to speculation as its a huge rising success.

-Dragon Quest is in the same boat, a huge franchise in Japan that while not as successful in the west, still isn't quite an unknown. It also has history on its side as it's been around even longer then Final Fantasy, which proves its longevity.

-Lara Croft is like Cloud, she breaks a couple conventions, but when you think about it she's a character that has a notable presence in culture and a lot of fame and history to her. That in addition to the success of her revival would make her a very sensible addition to the roster.

- Spyro and Crash I doubt since their revivals may've come too late to make a mark on Sakurai. Spyro also has the secondary issue of his franchise not being popular in Japan due to the poor localization of it, making it harder for him to get attention compared to other characters.

-Mortal Kombat from my understanding is very unpopular in Japan and some of its games haven't even been localized there, so I doubt either Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be added.
I agree it’s time that Monster Hunter gets on the roster. I wouldn’t be surprised by the Hero from Dragon Quest either, but if they only decide to go with one, I think Monster Hunter would be it.

I’d love if Sora could make the roster, but I know he has the Square AND Disney hurdles he’d have to jump through, and it may prove too much trouble to get the licensing for him. I definitely think Sora’s proves him as a gaming icon though, and all that moveset potential. Ugh. It’d be incredible.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oh god imagine the ****storm that would go down if both Elma and Rex got in as completely unique characters in the base roster tho lmao. That's the best scenario to me but everyone would be crying lol.
"More anime swordsmen?!?"

"When will Sakurai stop adding in generic sword users from niche franchises only anime nerds care about?"

"Oh look. Sakurai bias strikes again!"

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Okay so some people have been comparing Rex v Elma to Chrom v Robin pre Smash 4. I spectulated Robin pre-Smash 4 and as a supporter of both Rex and Elma, the comparison totally falls flat.

Chrom was snubbed specifically because of his inability to be a unique fighter next to Marth and Ike, neither Rex or Elma has that issue at all: Elma has potential for an alternating weapon style and Rex has the gold mine that is Driver-Blade affinity. Rex is being compared to Chrom in this scenario, which is even more ridiculous because while Elma's gimmick is something that - though faithful to the games - could be circumvented for a solid moveset, Rex's gimmick is more immediately obvious and far more flashy. The issue that will stop either character is timing (Elma being too early and Rex being too late), because they both have more than enough potential to get in on their own merits without having to beat the other.

But honestly, I find it very unlikely that Sakurai would not intimate to Takahashi that he planned new Xenoblade content in Smash and that Xenoblade 2 would not be made known to him in some capacity. For one, the two are friends, and we know from Snake being in Brawl that Sakurai values his friends' works in Smash. Secondly people bring up the interview where Sakurai states Pokemon is his one exception in late project additions. Firstly, Xenoblade's wider series representation wasn't a consideration at this point because it was a single game, but also despite Fire Emblem being a rotating cast franchise, new representation isn't THAT important for being faithful to the series as the overall tone from game to game is pretty consistent and it doesn't have Pokemon's juggernaut advertising of new characters. Going from Brawl to Awakening as my first FE wasn't jarring by any means, while Xenoblade makes enormous radical changes to its aesthetic, themes and battle mechanics between the original, X and 2. This was abundantly clear from the first trailers for X and with the series already being pushed as Nintendo's primary JRPG franchise when Smash Switch likely started, to think Sakurai would just take Elma as a done deal without even consulting Monolith Soft about their future plans (which had been in development for 2 years at that point) is pretty ridiculous.

tl;dr 3 Xenoblade Characters for Smash Switch, the idea of timing killing Rex's chances is overrated given the nature of his franchise warranting a closer look from Sakurai.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay so some people have been comparing Rex v Elma to Chrom v Robin pre Smash 4. I spectulated Robin pre-Smash 4 and as a supporter of both Rex and Elma, the comparison totally falls flat.

Chrom was snubbed specifically because of his inability to be a unique fighter next to Marth and Ike, neither Rex or Elma has that issue at all: Elma has potential for an alternating weapon style and Rex has the gold mine that is Driver-Blade affinity. Rex is being compared to Chrom in this scenario, which is even more ridiculous because while Elma's gimmick is something that - though faithful to the games - could be circumvented for a solid moveset, Rex's gimmick is more immediately obvious and far more flashy. The issue that will stop either character is timing (Elma being too early and Rex being too late), because they both have more than enough potential to get in on their own merits without having to beat the other.

But honestly, I find it very unlikely that Sakurai would not intimate to Takahashi that he planned new Xenoblade content in Smash and that Xenoblade 2 would not be made known to him in some capacity. For one, the two are friends, and we know from Snake being in Brawl that Sakurai values his friends' works in Smash. Secondly people bring up the interview where Sakurai states Pokemon is his one exception in late project additions. Firstly, Xenoblade's wider series representation wasn't a consideration at this point because it was a single game, but also despite Fire Emblem being a rotating cast franchise, new representation isn't THAT important for being faithful to the series as the overall tone from game to game is pretty consistent and it doesn't have Pokemon's juggernaut advertising of new characters. Going from Brawl to Awakening as my first FE wasn't jarring by any means, while Xenoblade makes enormous radical changes to its aesthetic, themes and battle mechanics between the original, X and 2. This was abundantly clear from the first trailers for X and with the series already being pushed as Nintendo's primary JRPG franchise when Smash Switch likely started, to think Sakurai would just take Elma as a done deal without even consulting Monolith Soft about their future plans (which had been in development for 2 years at that point) is pretty ridiculous.

tl;dr 3 Xenoblade Characters for Smash Switch, the idea of timing killing Rex's chances is overrated given the nature of his franchise warranting a closer look from Sakurai.
I think a lot of people forget this. Xenoblade 2 had already in been in development for 2 years before Sakurai started on Smash Switch. Even if if his initial plan was to include Elma, I can't see him declining to meet up with Takahashi to at least talk about the character being in Smash and possibly discuss what projects they were currently working on.

It's not like Sakurai went online, saw that XCX was the latest Xenoblade game, then called Monolift Soft and said, "Hey, I'm adding Elma based on my own knowledge of the character, kthxbye."

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's like you're setting yourself for Disappointement on purpose

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
"More anime swordsmen?!?"

"When will Sakurai stop adding in generic sword users from niche franchises only anime nerds care about?"

"Oh look. Sakurai bias strikes again!"
I'll bet my life savings that all the people that make these complaints will be Donkey Kong fans bitter that King K. Rool got skipped over yet again.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm starting to think we'll get two Xenoblade characters, whether it's both in the base, or waiting for Rex for dlc.

I just still can't imagine Elma being playable. She just comes across really bland as a character to me but it is what it is. Also with this Robin and Chrom comparison, I'm surprised we aren't making that comparison to Elma and Cross instead lol.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Also with this Robin and Chrom comparison, I'm surprised we aren't making that comparison to Elma and Cross instead lol.
I suppose with Chrom it probably had to do with (similar) Marth/Ike already being in the game and as such opting for Robin. Otherwise it might've been Chrom in the game, who knows. Elma would be the first of her kind I guess. I dunno, I find Elma to be pretty bad-ass, but honestly whichever character(s) from Xenoblade make it, I'll be okay with it.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
It's like you're setting yourself for Disappointement on purpose
Honestly, if Rex isn't in I'll be a little disappointed. Xenoblade 2 is now tied for my favourite game of all time with the Wii original and I throroughly enjoyed Rex as both a character and party member, so I do want him in Smash a lot. But frankly I love Xenoblade X as well (in my all-time top 10) and any more Xeno representation (even KOS-MOS if Namco and Sakurai willed it) would make me happy. My point isn't that 3 characters should happen, but that it easily can and it isn't unwarranted given the fighter potential newcomers offer.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The main hook of ARMS is, well, the arms (attached to the characters' springy arms). So the moveset for a Smash rep is going to most likely revolve around that, and I honestly think they will keep it as basic as possible, as it's already a unique concept in Smash to begin with. So, I'm guessing whoever will make it (Spring Man imo) will not have any character-specific mechanics/gimmicks like they would in ARMS, which is why I'd accept Ribbon Girl as a Spring Man alt, seeing as she is pretty much the poster girl next to the poster boy. I'm also picturing different moves using different arms -> so going beyond a three arm limit (unlike in ARMS). Smash likes to do its own thing. But we'll see how things turn out.
You act as if there isn't a character behind those arms. It's just arm stretching and some bonus powers. These characters don't have there own distinct personalities or anything. *sarcasm*

But seriously. I can't picture Ribbon Girl copying every movement, stance, and animation Spring Man has. That includes idle animations, taunts, and victory poses. Ribbon Girl and Spring Man are just too different in their movement and personality. The way Ribbon girl even dodges is all twirly amd graceful while Spring Man's is spunky and bouncey. They way they walk, jump, and even stand in place is different.

Ribbon Girl needs to be graceful, twirling, blowing kisses, all that stuff. They would need to make her a clone.

See the good thing about Springtron is that every animation is the same as Spring Man. He'd be the perfect alt.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'll bet my life savings that all the people that make these complaints will be Donkey Kong fans bitter that King K. Rool got skipped over yet again.
The reactions to a hypothetical Smash Switch roster with 3 Xenoblade characters and no K.Rool or Dixie wouldn't be pretty. I still remember the reactions when Mewtwo, K.Rool and Ridley wasn't part of the leaked Smash 4 roster but Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You act as if there isn't a character behind those arms. It's just arm stretching and some bonus powers. These characters don't have there own distinct personalities or anything. *sarcasm*

But seriously. I can't picture Ribbon Girl copying every movement, stance, and animation Spring Man has. That includes idle animations, taunts, and victory poses. Ribbon Girl and Spring Man are just too different in their movement and personality. The way Ribbon girl even dodges is all twirly amd graceful while Spring Man's is spunky and bouncey. They way they walk, jump, and even stand in place is different.

Ribbon Girl needs to be graceful, twirling, blowing kisses, all that stuff. They would need to make her a clone.

See the good thing about Springtron is that every animation is the same as Spring Man. He'd be the perfect alt.
Agreed. We are talking about a game that accepts Pit and Dark Pit as two different characters with their own personalities and (really minorly differing) fighting styles.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I guess I was implying that I personally wouldn't be mad if Ribbon Girl turned out to be an alt of Spring Man, as she's kinda being portrayed as the "default girl" next to the default boy - and assuming that the first moveset for an ARMS rep would primarily focus on the arms (and personality/unique abilities would come "second", if at all). Movements/stances/etc in Smash could be altered to work for both. But if they decide to go beyond that, then yeah I agree, Ribbon Girl would have to have her own slot.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The Arms director was just trying to lower expectations, because he already knows about the inevitable Mad Jack reveal.

Also, no Dixie or K. Rool.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The Arms director was just trying to lower expectations, because he already knows about the inevitable Mad Jack reveal.

Also, no Dixie or K. Rool.
Hey I approve, why not?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Dont really understand how people can be so adamant about rex and pyra getting in, but yet also think spring man doesnt have the same chance if not more of a chance. They're in pretty much the same boat
Does anyone really think this? Almost all of the roster predictions include both.

My guess is that it depends if Sakurai got information beforehand or if Nintendo pushed either character to promote the games. The only difference between them I've seen is that ARMS is finished, but Xenoblade 2 still has a lot of DLC left, including the story DLC, although this would only affect reveal timing, if anything at all.

When did development for ARMS start? Haven't found anything about that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay. Something I realized... But like, most of Newcomers in the Smash games where marketed toward the current Nintendo Generation and Children/Teenagers or like the one thar was RIGHT before that one as in like...marketing way-
Melee:
:younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee: OoT was the hot new Zelda that marked the generation.
:falcomelee: Star Fox 64 lastest iteration
:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: The 1999 movie and New Second Pokemon Generation just coming out
:marthmelee::roymelee: They had a hot new game literally Two month later
:nessmelee: Supposed to be Mother 3 Lucas but DEVELOPMENT HELL
:gawmelee::icsmelee: Are the wild card retro pick.

Brawl:
:wario: Warioware series started this generation putting Wario back in light
:samus2::zerosuitsamus: Prime series Just happened alongside GBA games.
:ike:Hot new Lord from the GameCube FE
:olimar: Started his series previous generation.
:lucas:Finally out of Development hell
:pt:Pokemon 10th anniversary and GBA remake
:lucario:Hot new Pokemon mascot for 4G
:pit: Uprising was supposed to be a Wii game right? Though he might count as a Retro pick with :rob:
:toonlink: Wind Waker was the New ground Breaking Zelda for the GameCube

Smash 4
:4palutena::4darkpit: Kid Icarus Revival just Happened
:4robinm::4lucina: Awakenings New toys The game that saved the series.
:4villager: Animal Crossing become more famous than ever
:4shulk: Groundbreaking JRPG exclusive for Nintendo Wii.
:4littlemac:Punch-out revival on Wii
:4wiifit: Started the Wii-Fit series a grand success mixing Health and video game
:4greninja: Wild card because he was choosen beforehand- but let's be honest- there also the "new Pokemon" factor.
:4corrin: Hot new FE game just came out boiz
:4bayonetta2: Ballot Winner but Also one of Nintendo Faust Child.

Yet 95% of people's pick Beside the Pokemon/Arms/Splatoon/Xenoblades are just like... "Not marketable friendly?" I'm not sure how they could be marketable beside HARDCORE Nintendo fans or wouldn't work for the "casual crowd"

That is without counting Wild card/WTF/Retro characters of course

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yet 95% of people's pick Beside the Pokemon/Arms/Splatoon/Xenoblades are just like... "Not marketable friendly?" I'm not sure how they could be marketable beside HARDCORE Nintendo fans or wouldn't work for the "casual crowd"

That's why I don't understand when people say Smash For newcomers were only promotion. No, it's just people are getting old and Nintendo is running out of A tier characters.

Also, yeah, that's why I'm sceptical about King K.Rool or Isaac getting in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay. Something I realized... But like, most of Newcomers in the Smash games where marketed toward the current Nintendo Generation and Children/Teenagers or like the one thar was RIGHT before that one as in like...marketing way-
Melee:
:younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee: OoT was the hot new Zelda that marked the generation.
:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: The 1999 movie and New Second Pokemon Generation just coming out

Brawl:
:pit: Uprising was supposed to be a Wii game right? Though he might count as a Retro pick with :rob:

Smash 4
:4wiifit: Started the Wii-Fit series a grand success mixing Health and video game
:4greninja: Wild card because he was choosen beforehand- but let's be honest- there also the "new Pokemon" factor.

That's why I keep arguing that relevancy has a huge role in deciding which newcomers we get. Regardless of how popular certain characters are, there's just no way Nintendo could add all of the fan favorites and still be able to market them in a way that would not only attract the younger, less familiar audiences, but also convince people to purchase games relevant to the character.

Adding Issac would encourage people to go on eBay and buy an old copy of Golden Sun, a game that's long gone from store shelves. That's NOT a profit for Nintendo. Adding Spring Man would encourage people to buy ARMS, a fairly new game that you can still find in stores. That IS a profit for Nintendo.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Melee:

Brawl:

Smash 4

Are they really? The only "irrelevant" character I see that is even commonly suggested to have a decent chance around here is K. Rool. Characters like Isaac and Chibi-Robo are generally seen as unlikely.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I get the points in favor of Rex, but, seriously, don't count out Elma. Every Smash game has focused on content between the last Smash Bros. release to a couple months after planning for the next Smash begins.

Based on when we know this game started development, Rex getting in base roster would surprise me. Same with ARMS. Remember, during the Smash 4 development cycle, Awakening was lucky to receive a character. If we go by the same measure, it makes more sense for Rex and Spring Man to be DLC than base.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are they really? The only "irrelevant" character I see that is even commonly suggested to have a decent chance around here is K. Rool. Characters like Isaac and Chibi-Robo are generally seen as unlikely.
Just look at the RTC thread. Or a lot of people's rosters and most of their argument.
It's way more common than you might think.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Many of us thought the Inklings would be a shoe-in for DLC on the Wii U and we were wrong. All we got was a costume and some trophies.
I always just kind of assumed it was because Inklings would probably require more work to implement in a way that felt unique that is probably not easy to implement as DLC as the DLC was developed after the fact with a smaller group involved. Most of Smash 4 DLC featured returning characters or characters with more straight forward style systems that are easier to develop. As such it was probably was better for Inklings to be held off on until they were able to be properly developed

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Melee:

Brawl:

Smash 4

I agree expect which characters are you reffering to??? King K Rool and Issac are the only two I can think of, and well K Rool at least has the fact that the Donkey Kong series is still around, but I agree his relevancy makes him a harder sell.

Maybe Chibi-Robo to a lesser extent because at this point his last game can be bought pre-owned for under $10 (got me the game and amiibo for $8 at Toysrus. Sorry I didn't support you when you needed me most Cheebo :( )

blackghost

Smash Champion
Many of us thought the Inklings would be a shoe-in for DLC on the Wii U and we were wrong. All we got was a costume and some trophies.
the inklings didn't get in more so having to do with the fact the systems to properly do them weren't in smash 4. bayonetta had witch time already in the game. cloud already had equipment for limit. there were no water effects in 4.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
King K. Rool can't even get back into his own series. The ballot votes may make Nintendo request Retro readd him to the series since he has fan popularity but I still can't see him making it this time.

I know this is Smashboards suicide but surely I'm not the only one who thinks he's not getting in until he puts an appearance in modern DK? Nintendo is a business at the end of the day, and each iteration seems to celebrate the previous generations achievements with the token retro thrown in to celebrate 'Nintendo's history'.

It's why I doubt we'll ever see an Advance Wars character, a Golden Sun one, etc despite wanting both.

Chibi-Robo still put an appearance in last generation but this really does feel like his last chance, at least to me...I hope he makes it, that little robot deserves a second chance at success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom