• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
hitboxes and playstyle are what we see. as comeititve players what casual (read most) of the playerbase sees is an imitation of another character.
i've had this conversation several times at parties:
"Hey man you know this game right?"
"which of the sword users is good? The fire guy?"
"not really he's a lesser version of the blue haired one.
or just pick cloud"
ascetics matter. honestly roy mechanics are off putting and do not work well. His time as a relevant fire emblem character is long past. Luigi is not in a similar situation as roy. nor is falco or any other semi-clone. Roy is a semi clone in a crowded space of a niche franchise, who's not truly relevant to that series history among fans, or historical relvance in game canon.

competitive smash has never been the focus. characters with variety in animations, weapons, and obvious play differences are the prority (look at every newcomer in 4). If this was street fighter you can have characters that have the same/similair moveset (shotos) but becuase that game is about hardcore fgc first that is seen as a good thing in smash roy doesn't get the same liberty. How those moves behave has been less important than how it looks. Lucas absorber and pk thunder LOOK and BEHAVE differently from ness. Luigi has a very different moveset to mario he can barely even be called a clone in 4.
But he was there just so that his fans who miss him from the Melee could get him back in this game. His moves are not especially different from Marth but a certain part of his fans simply didn't cared. He was always "lesser" Marth in gameplay sense. They simply like the character and had an emotional attachment to him.

I wouldn't call Fire Emblem niche really, it is still one of the oldest major IPs of Nintendo and... well, I know some people are bored to hear this but if you don't play competitively, you didn't had to buy Roy. He was just added for his fans.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinions on character buffs for the next Smash?

I know most people want Jiggs to finally get a buff, but what about other characters?

Personally, I'm hoping that Shulk, WFT, and Mr. Game & Watch get buffed.

I don't even play WFT, I just think she needs it.

Ok. Hi Crazy, I'm Blargg.
:)
I want Ness, Lucas, Falcon, Luigi, Puff, Palutena, Ganondorf, and Zelda to get buffs

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok how about a Bob-Omb Battlefield stage? I think it would probably work as a tour stage as like to call it! Like Delfino and Port Town you would fly around the stage for a while and then stop at a random location! The starting location is the beginning of the level in Mario 64! Then Mario, Luigi, Wario or Yoshi appears in the background and a platform rises from under the player's feet! The platform starts flying around the stage as one of the four characters in the background runs around collecting red coins, racing with Koopa the Quick, fighting King Bob-Omb, etc. If Mario, Luigi, Wario or Yoshi are being played as then that character won't appear in the background. If all four are fighting then a Toad will take their place in the background similar to Alfonzo on the Spirit Train when Toon Link is battling. The places where the stages stops are as follows:

Chain Chomp location where you dodge the Chain Chomp's attacks

The place where three giant balls roll back and fourth. They will roll out of, and back into, the background repeatedly.

The floating island where, if you fall in the cannon, can get shot off stage if you're not careful!

The field full of Bob-Ombs that will run at the players and try to blow them up all while water bombs fall from the sky!

The middle of the mountain has giant metal balls that occasionally roll down and damage any players in their paths. There is also another cannon!

And finally the top of the mountain where King Bob-Omb will occasionally pick up a random player and throw them!

Music:
Bob-Omb Battlefield
Rainbow Cruise
Peach's Castle
Whomp's Fortress

If you have any ideas for this idea let me know!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Besides that, I think DK, Peach, and Bowser needs buff as well. I mean minor buffs.

Shulk on the other hand... they can make his landing lag shorter than ever, and stop making him floaty...

Troykv

Smash Master
Besides that, I think DK, Peach, and Bowser needs buff as well. I mean minor buffs.

Shulk on the other hand... they can make his landing lag shorter than ever, and stop making him floaty...
I though he was floaty because of his laggy Aerials xD

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
hitboxes and playstyle are what we see. as comeititve players what casual (read most) of the playerbase sees is an imitation of another character.
i've had this conversation several times at parties:
"Hey man you know this game right?"
"which of the sword users is good? The fire guy?"
"not really he's a lesser version of the blue haired one.
or just pick cloud"
ascetics matter. honestly roy mechanics are off putting and do not work well. His time as a relevant fire emblem character is long past. Luigi is not in a similar situation as roy. nor is falco or any other semi-clone. Roy is a semi clone in a crowded space of a niche franchise, who's not truly relevant to that series history among fans, or historical relvance in game canon.

competitive smash has never been the focus. characters with variety in animations, weapons, and obvious play differences are the prority (look at every newcomer in 4). If this was street fighter you can have characters that have the same/similair moveset (shotos) but becuase that game is about hardcore fgc first that is seen as a good thing in smash roy doesn't get the same liberty. How those moves behave has been less important than how it looks. Lucas absorber and pk thunder LOOK and BEHAVE differently from ness. Luigi has a very different moveset to mario he can barely even be called a clone in 4.
Yes, because giant red trail with a large, white inner trail looks and behaves just like a blue trail with a light blue outline. I get what you're saying but I still don't agree. Most of Roy's moves look different than Marth's save a few.

His mechanic is really bad conceptually and is completely unorthodox, but it absolutely can work given the right tuning, it would just take significantly more work than making tippers function well, since good spacing is a fundamental thing already and Roy wants to do the opposite of that.

I'm not gonna argue that Roy is just as relevent as Falco or Luigi for obvious reasons. I will argue that he is unique. I can easily use your words for a fairly easy counter argument: Roy's Blazer LOOKS and BEHAVES different to Marth's Crescent Slash. Furthermore, I've had casual players argue with me at work that Lucas is only a copy of Ness.

I don't even remember why I'm arguing this. My main point for why I don't believe Roy will be cut is because he was a huge request for a return and got an exclusive rework specifically for Smash 4. From what I've looked up, his new look in Smash 4 does not exist in FE canon. Roy to me seems more like a Smash character than a FE character, stupid as I'm sure that may sound. Sakurai already released Roy as DLC after cutting him AND completely revamped him to boot, why would he cut him again after going through that? I can't see it, it could happen, but I can't see it.

I don't recall saying the competitive scene has anything to do with who comes and who goes. What I did say was that if someone took the time to actually learn about the characters, one possible way was watching a couple high level matches, one could easily see that Roy and Marth are not the same character with a new skin and sword.

Anyway, I'm sick of fanboying over Roy and why he's not Marth .5 in this thread, especially since its clear some people here really don't care, so if someone actually wants to keep arguing by all means PM me.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

How about that give his manado arts some directional inputs or something. It's too confusing in the heat of battle to shuffle through them with only a button.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
How about that give his manado arts some directional inputs or something. It's too confusing in the heat of battle to shuffle through them with only a button.
No, that just makes it a lot worse.

The way the Monado Arts are now, they're easy to scroll through and see. Plus you can still move while switching between them. Adding directional inputs would not only negate that, but also make it needlessly complicated.

Plus there's 5 of them, so that wouldn't work anyway.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why are people are so excited about cutting characters anyway? When Brawl first came out Wolf was seens as overrepresantation, a unnecessary clone and a character who has more popular choises than him... And then very little was happy to see he didn't return.

I get some characters simply won't work in some games (like Young Link or Pokemon Trainer), but why upset the fans by simply calling their character not worth the effort by simply cutting them? That doesn't seem to how Sakurai opperates, especially after working hours on them.

and it's not like cutting a few simple veterans will bring us more newcomers

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinions on character buffs for the next Smash?

I know most people want Jiggs to finally get a buff, but what about other characters?

I don't even play WFT, I just think she needs it.

Ok. Hi Crazy, I'm Blargg.
:)
i want kirby to be viable. give him something to make his approaches safer. give him more air mobility. stuff like that.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I think directional monado arts is brilliant honestly. Shulk would be able to swap on the fly without having to potentially run away a few seconds to get to smash or buster.
B+B= Smash
B+^B= Jump
B+>B= Speed
B+vB= Shield
B+<B= Buster

Boom done. It would take a few games to get used to the order and new inputs but it could be a pretty solid buff to the character depending on how fast Shulk could swap monado.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
i want kirby to be viable. give him something to make his approaches safer. give him more air mobility. stuff like that.
He needs to be able to move around in the air more like Jigglypuff. It just seems weird that there is such a difference between how much Jiggles can move about in the air in comparison to Kirby.

I don’t know a lot about how exactly Kirby plays, but he could be given some vertical movement in the air forward or back air could be replaced with a new move. Maybe he could blow out a puff of air, like he can do in his games, which pushes him in the opposite direction like ROB and Corrin.

I think directional monado arts is brilliant honestly. Shulk would be able to swap on the fly without having to potentially run away a few seconds to get to smash or buster.
B+B= Smash
B+^B= Jump
B+>B= Speed
B+vB= Shield
B+<B= Buster

Boom done. It would take a few games to get used to the order and new inputs but it could be a pretty solid buff to the character depending on how fast Shulk could swap monado.
I don’t mean any offence, but, this honestly does not make much sense and seems infinitely more complicated compared to how Shulk’s Monado Arts works now, which is intuitive and easy to grasp.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Adding directions to Monado arts sounds like an even more complicated Ryu.

I don't imagine feeling natural at all.

Especially when on the move.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I honestly think if they just gave Kirby moderate buffs to his air speed and ground speed he'd be top tier right there. His combos are solid even with crappy movement and his crouch is borderline busted in some match ups.

He's one of those characters that is hard to balance with his current kit.

EDIT: I feel like people are overthinking the directional input thing. It doesn't have to be "quarter-circle down" and stuff like that. Press B then another direction and B real fast for whatever monado you want. At max it would be confusing for a week.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
B+B= Smash
B+^B= Jump
B+>B= Speed
B+vB= Shield
B+<B= Buster

Honestly this just seems a tad tedious to me. I don;t want to have to got Mortal Kombat input mode on Smash bros. Ryu is enough.

D

Deleted member

Smash Bros. Switch is the only thing that can cheer me right now.
I want Marth to move a little faster and have a little less end lag on some moves.

He's supposed to be the fast FE character but doesn't quite feel like it outside of Melee.
Marth would be an automatic top tier then.
Marth was fun in Melee, I admit.
It's funny that 4chan is synonymous with fake leaks, meanwhile actual leaks for things like the January 2017 Switch presentation came from a 4chan text leak.
4Chan is.. "mysterious".

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Its literally less button presses than you would do normally. You don't even have to do it fast like I said in theory, I just said fast thinking about the potential of an optimized Shulk with the ability to swap his monado like that.

Anything you do in melee is more complex than that small tweak. Hell learning wavedashing has got to be more difficult.

Edit: if anyone is confused getting Jump Monado with the inputs I recommended would be an identical input to throwing out a fireball as Mario and then pressing Up special. No turning the stick in wierd ways or anything crazy. Literally B and then Up B. This isn't Mortal Kombat tier by a long shot.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Its literally less button presses than you would do normally. You don't even have to do it fast like I said in theory, I just said fast thinking about the potential of an optimized Shulk with the ability to swap his monado like that.

Anything you do in melee is more complex than that small tweak. Hell learning wavedashing has got to be more difficult.

Edit: if anyone is confused getting jump with the inputs I recommended would be an identical input to throwing out a fireball as Mario and then pressing Up special. No turning the stick in wierd ways or anything crazy. Literally B and then Up B. This isn't Mortal Kombat tier by a long shot.
But why fix what isn't technically broken?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But why fix what isn't technically broken?
Because we were discussing buffs and someone proposed that buff. I thought it sounded cool and proposed my idea of how it could work. And there are plenty of reasons to try and make things better without it being outright garbage.

This is all theoretical nonsense that won't happen anyway so I don't see why it matters.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Edit: if anyone is confused getting Jump Monado with the inputs I recommended would be an identical input to throwing out a fireball as Mario and then pressing Up special. No turning the stick in wierd ways or anything crazy. Literally B and then Up B. This isn't Mortal Kombat tier by a long shot.
Honestly, I don't have too much of a problem with Shield, Jump, and Smash's inputs, per say.
But the ideas for Speed and Buster are a bit weird. Generally, Side Bs are the same in both directions, but your proposed idea makes them different, which is somewhat confusing.

And I feel like it would also hinder movement while using Monado Arts. One of the benefits to Monado Arts being mapped to a single button is that moving and attacking is still possible while switching.This method however uses the control stick, so it would hinder movement. For example, using Shield in midair would cause Shulk to enter fastfall, which probably isn't good, since Shield makes Shulk really heavy.

Stuff like that, for example.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Honestly, I don't have too much of a problem with Shield, Jump, and Smash's inputs, per say.
But the ideas for Speed and Buster are a bit weird. Generally, Side Bs are the same in both directions, but your proposed idea makes them different, which is somewhat confusing.

And I feel like it would also hinder movement while using Monado Arts. One of the benefits to Monado Arts being mapped to a single button is that moving and attacking is still possible while switching.This method however uses the control stick, so it would hinder movement. For example, using Shield in midair would cause Shulk to enter fastfall, which probably isn't good, since Shield makes Shulk really heavy.

Stuff like that, for example.
The first part I thought about but justified because DK can kinda do that actually. He charges his big punch and then he presses B again to launch his fist. In theory, its entirely possible that you would lock-in to choosing monado and then press B plus the direction you aren't facing while locked-in and get the monado you want. It can work.

The second point kinda hurts actually. However once again, IN THEORY Shulk could run forward, jump toward an enemy, press B to lock in monado and be stationary (as in can't do anything while selecting monado) whilst moving forward in the air and in that brief moment press B again for Smash and have a nair out before hitting the ground in front of the opponent.

That all sounded way more complex than it really is but I think it would be sick. Yeah, being stationary for monado kinda sucks but once players got used to it this method would technically be faster than the current method of getting Smash with monado.

Before it happens (not talking to anyone specifically), please don't come at this post with "but most people aren't competitive and won't be able to do it that fast like in your second paragraph thing." Well, then being stationary for a sec and taking your time picking a monado will be no challenge or risk for the player then will it?

Anyway, I just thought his idea deserved some support so I rolled with it. I feel like actual ideas for changes deserve to at least be given a chance as opposed to knee-jerkingly saying "NO I DON'T LIKE IT" and then going back to talking about why Daisy would just be an alt costume for the thousandth time.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Alright, how about another question.

How many newcomers do you expect to see at E3?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Judging by the assumption that reveals for the game will be few and far between, and iirc, Sakurai isn't particularly fond of the idea of secret/locked fighters anymore, I think we'll get a large number of newcomers revealed at E3. Maybe up to half of the newcomer roster could be shown there. Imo, there's going to be about 10 newcomers total, so I would expect to see 4 unrevealed newcomers, as well as the obvious full reveal of Inklings in game. So 5 newcomers shown off if you include the Inklings, but 4 completely new reveals.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Back in the pre-Smash4 days I also thought this way, that Marth was not that important to Smash itself, but I changed my mind.
Not only Marth is quite recognizable as a "Smash character" (popular at all iterations), he is also a symbol for Fire Emblem.
While he is not THAT popular in the FE fandom/community (comparing with Ike, Hector, Lyn, Lucina, Camilla), he is a common figurehead. You can check his status in the "Fire Emblem Warriors" game, he is the character at the middle of the cover.
Lucina itself is his grand grand grand daughter and pretends to be him in her game and in Fire Emblem Warriors too.
He is considered the legendary hero ( or hero king) Marth.
Marth has a very very little chance of being removed from Smash Bros. His worst possible situation would be share the same spot as equal to Lucina, merging the characters.

I disliked him a lot back in the day, because his game is not that good and he is not that nice as a lord.
Caeda does all the Lord work, as recruiting. But nowadays I think he is a stylish diva and enjoy his playstyle at Smash.
This is fair - and all the arguments I have heard make sense as to why what I suggested will not happen.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I forgot.

Microsoft could absolutely get Bayonetta 2 and 3 on Xbox One. It would have nothing to do with Nintendo.

Nintendo merely published Bayonetta 2 (and now presumably Bayonetta 3) on Wii U/Switch. They don't own the IP in any way.

SEGA, the owner of the IP, need only publish it themselves if they want it on other platforms. Or, get somebody else to, such as Microsoft themselves.

Nintendo could even decide to publish it themselves as an unprecedented move if they really were to partner up with Microsoft in some way, but regardless, Nintendo doesn't hold any power over the IP, at least not in any official capacity.

Case in point:

Another lesser example is Sonic Lost World on Wii U, which was published by SEGA in Japan and America, but published by Nintendo in Europe and Australia. It later saw a Steam release published by SEGA.
Apples and oranges... and pears. Having publisher duty, owning the IP, and owning the license to a specific game are all different.

Nintendo may not own the rights to the Bayonetta IP, so Sega could theoretically make a Bayo 4 or include the character in games without Nintendo's oversight, but it seems readily apparent that Nintendo does own the rights to the game Bayonetta 2, and possibly 3. That one is a bit early.

One company co-owning the property of another isn't prohibited if both parties have agreed to it. And one company funding the product of another sounds like a situation that could precipitate that agreement. I believe Platinum have even said Bayo 2's releases are Nintendo's prerogative.

Kamiya said:
As I have said before, if you want Bayonetta 2 on PS4 or Xbox One, how about trying to ask Nintendo? If Nintendo doesn’t say yes, it’s not going to happen. While you’re at it, try asking for Mario and Zelda too.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
E3 is next month.

E3 is next month.

E3 IS NEXT MONTH!

E3 IS NEXT MONTH!!!! MORE SMASH NEWS THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A STICK AT!!!!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
B+B= Smash
B+^B= Jump
B+>B= Speed
B+vB= Shield
B+<B= Buster

It would would work well if it were done like the early Smash Flash 2 Megaman. Just hold B + a direction and release to be using that power. Cycling is limiting, it doesn't allow you to jump between your options freely and quickly.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

Nintendo's E3 is already looking to be potentially phenomenal (Smash Bros., Prime 4, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, Retro's new title, possibly Pokemon, Wave Race, Punch Out, Pikmin 4) but this **** right here would send me through the roof if it was somehow true.
Who is this dreamcastguy and is there any reason to especially believe him?

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Who is this dreamcastguy and is there any reason to especially believe him?
Very popular YouTuber and very nice guy to boot, no idea If that rumor is true, but I know for a fact that he knows numerous gaming industry people. He has never come across to me as dishonest, but I'm staying skeptical until I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I though he was floaty because of his laggy Aerials xD
Or at least make his Monado Arts change his stats more greater.

Not sure if that will happen...
And it's Monado btw, I aware that's just a mistype so. . Yeah....
Very popular YouTuber and very nice guy to boot, no idea If that rumor is true, but I know for a fact that he knows numerous gaming industry people. He has never come across to me as dishonest, but I'm staying skeptical until I'm proven wrong.
He often appears in Spawncast that is hosted by Spawnwave, another YouTuber I highly recommend any Switch fans to sub.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Alright, how about another question.

How many newcomers do you expect to see at E3?
I could see 4 newcomers being revealed, and somewhere around 20-25 veterans, they really have to up the pace of reveals in comparison to past games as they've at most got ~5 months to get the rest of the reveals out of the way. I imagine a trailer during the Direct revealing 3 newcomers (one being a 3rd party), and then an additional reveal at the end of the Invitational (someone highly requested like K. Rool to get a huge crowd reaction).

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been researching about Rex/Pyra because there were questions about Xenoblade newcomers that were in my mind, and I discovered this one interview that centered around Detective Pikachu:

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/08/21/pokemon-and-smash-masuda-x-sakurai/

Sakurai: Having gameplay centered around gaining stronger and stronger toys is different from the core series. In addition there’s the Mystery Dungeon series where Pokémon can talk in the game…. Ah, speaking of talking Pokémon, there’s Detective Pikachu. I was very surprised about that.

Masuda
: It was surprising. I decided myself that if Pikachu were to become a detective, he’d speak with an old man voice [laughs].Sakurai: I thought to myself, “Is this really allowed…” Because while I was working on Smash, there were very stringent restrictions on how I could design Pokémon.

Everyone: [laughs]

Masuda
: I think that’s a natural reaction to seeing Detective Pikachu [laughs].We had a lot of restrictions in place for Pikachu. For a long time.

Sakurai
: According to the character license, Pikachu couldn’t speak and he couldn’t wear any clothing.

Masuda
:That’s right. I felt that Pikachu as a character become very established and entrenched over the course of these 20 years. So I thought that it was okay to loosen up on some of those restrictions. For example, Pikachu can wear clothes now because Pikachu is so recognizable, and it’s obvious that it’s Pikachu even with clothing on.

Sakurai:
I see. So what you’re saying is that even though Pikachu is wearing clothes, most people will understand that’s not his true form, so to speak. It’s just a temporary phase.

Masuda:
That’s right. And that’s the same reason why Detective Pikachu wears a hat. So now, even if Pikachu says (in an old man voice) “Hey! Sakurai!”…

Everyone: [laughs]

Masuda:
I think people will think, “Man, Pikachu sure has changed.”

Horii:
It feels like there’s a different person inside of the Pikachu, though [laughs].

Sakurai:
But, if you think about it, there have been many individual Pikachus.

Masuda:
That’s right. I think it’s good to see differences with Pikachu. Not all of the Pikachus need to make that cute roar.

Sakurai:
Pikachu has become quite the interesting character.

Masuda:
It’s been 20 years since Pikachu was born, so I want to introduce a new style and broaden its image. However, I think keeping that balance is pretty difficult, because I need to weigh protecting the old image against staying on the offensive and creating new, fresh takes on the character.
Sakurai is definitely aware of Detective Pikachu, and if the looser Pikachu license restrictions mentioned are anything to go by, I think in the scenario that Sakurai wants to add a last-minute clone and let it Dr. Mario esque style clone of Detective Pikachu, Game Freak would allow it. I think Opossum's point about TPC being so strict would not be a major con against a last-minute decision.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have been researching about Rex/Pyra because there were questions about Xenoblade newcomers that were in my mind, and I discovered this one interview that centered around Detective Pikachu:

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/08/21/pokemon-and-smash-masuda-x-sakurai/

Sakurai is definitely aware of Detective Pikachu, and if the looser Pikachu license restrictions mentioned are anything to go by, I think in the scenario that Sakurai wants to add a last-minute clone and let it Dr. Mario esque style clone of Detective Pikachu, Game Freak would allow it. I think Opossum's point about TPC being so strict would not be a major con against a last-minute decision.
The thing is though that one of Detective Pikachu's key characteristics is his specific inability to use Pokemon attacks. Sakurai seems to like adhering closely to the traits of the characters he represents in the game, so making Detective Pikachu capable of all of the things a normal Pikachu can do defeats the purpose of Detective Pikachu as a character. Its even where much of his humour is derived from. So I doubt it would happen.

Pikachu will get Detective Pikachu's hat as a costume option, I would wager. It fits in with the established theme of Pikachu's alts being headgear and hats as is.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, Detective Pikachu would really need to be his own character because of his whole shtick of being a detective (first and foremost) and then not able to use any moves (unlike a normal Pikachu). So being a clone wouldn't really work in my eyes.

Besides, wouldn't they just bring Pichu back out if a Pikachu-clone was really needed/wanted?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I know that including content from the phone games has been discussed already but would it count as Nintendo or Third Party? Or would the mobile games not count in any form since they're, in my personal opinion, meant to get customers attracted to the Switch/3DS?

I ask because a new Nintendo IP for mobile was announced today (developed by Cygames but published by Nintendo).

Source:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/nintendos_next_mobile_game_is_a_jrpg_called_dragalia_lost

I know the game won't receive representation in this game, but it's something to discuss for post Smash Switch all the same.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know that including content from the phone games has been discussed already but would it count as Nintendo or Third Party? Or would the mobile games not count in any form since they're, in my personal opinion, meant to get customers attracted to the Switch/3DS?

I ask because a new Nintendo IP for mobile was announced today (developed by Cygames but published by Nintendo).

Source:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/nintendos_next_mobile_game_is_a_jrpg_called_dragalia_lost

I know the game won't receive representation in this game, but it's something to discuss for post Smash Switch all the same.
If Nintendo are smart, they won't segregate their mobile branches from the rest of their endeavours and won't treat them like their unwanted adopted child. Mobile is simply another platform for Nintendo games now, like Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo still owns the characters and IPs in these cases so really there is no logical reason to treat them differently.

I lowkey kinda think Fjorm from FE Heroes would be a cool idea for an FE rep since she uses a lance, which is new for Smash, but also has ice powers so that gives her more tools to work with than the average FE lance user. FE Heroes is super popular too so having a character from that game would catch the attention of more casual video game players and dedicated mobile gamers.

If Dragalia Lost becomes popular and successful then I see no reason why they wouldn't consider getting a character in Smash to represent it. I definitely wouldn't expect it to get a character in time for the launch of Smash Switch, but maybe later down the line. They are kinda starved for characters that have a larger reach for the casual market that aren't already in Smash and aren't third party, so popular characters from their mobile games would help turn some heads.

Mobile games shouldn't exclusively promote console games, both should promote each other. Mobile games are also the legitimately bigger money maker.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Shulk isn't exactly who I'd call floaty; he falls at the same speed as Mario when gravity is not taken into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom