• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't mean to be "that guy", but I don't think he'd be able to fall at all if gravity is not taken into account.
All that I'm saying is that when the gravity value is ignored, Shulk falls at the same rate as Mario. But because Shulk's gravity is slightly lower than Mario's, it takes slightly more time for him to reach his maximum falling speed.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Shulk isn't exactly who I'd call floaty; he falls at the same speed as Mario when gravity is not taken into account.
That's why I think he should have a bit of faster fall speed... and even greater when in jump Monado art.

And most importantly, less landing lag.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's why I think he should have a bit of faster fall speed... and even greater when in jump Monado art.

And most importantly, less landing lag.
Increased falling speed can be a mixed bag. While it may improve a fighter's resistance to vertical knockback, it can also make the fighter more vulnerable to combo attacks.

On a side note, I do recall that when you compare Greninja to Little Mac, the former is more vulnerable to vertical KOs, due to having a much higher gravity value than the latter. As such, for the best vertical endurance, you'd have to take a page from King Dedede, where he not only falls fast, but his gravity is only slightly higher than Mario's. Of course, Dedede's gravity is still below average when compared to all the other fighters.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Why are people are so excited about cutting characters anyway? When Brawl first came out Wolf was seens as overrepresantation, a unnecessary clone and a character who has more popular choises than him... And then very little was happy to see he didn't return.

I get some characters simply won't work in some games (like Young Link or Pokemon Trainer), but why upset the fans by simply calling their character not worth the effort by simply cutting them? That doesn't seem to how Sakurai opperates, especially after working hours on them.

and it's not like cutting a few simple veterans will bring us more newcomers
Most people aren't excited about cuts. Most people are simply accepting a reality that has happened ever since Brawl and speculates on it just like this community speculates on everything else. If this is indeed a new game priority and cuts among the veterans in one form or another is likely.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
When it comes to mobile, I'm expecting trophy representation at least, especially for FE: Heroes with it being the more popular/profitable one of their mobile ventures - and having the most original content (Super Mario Run and AC: Pocket Camp have essentially the same characters/items as their other games).

Maybe in the long run, when Nintendo manages to really find their sweet spot in the mobile market, we'll get playable reps. I'm interested to see how Dragalia Lost and Mario Kart Tour will turn out.

Honestly, I think they should try out with a puzzle game like Dr. Mario and/or Panel De Pon for mobile, those kinds just work in a mobile setting.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So I have been thinking about Pokemon and Greninja lately and connecting that to Sakurai's interview for the FE 25th anniversary and it has me asking several questions:

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Interviewer: So once that project plan is set into motion, everything is already fixed.

Sakurai: If I had to offer up one exception from this time, it would be for Pokémon. We knew there was going to be a new release soon, so we left one spot open for a new Pokémon, and everything else continued according to plan. Adding or removing during the process directly impacts production costs and people’s workloads, so it’s not that easy to add or change things, and we take that into account.
Pokemon was the only franchise to get such a treatment. Would the project plan in early 2016 account Xenoblade 2 in mid-development? Would the 6-month timespan mentioned by Sakurai for FE characters be accounted? Can such exceptions even be considered at all in the roster plan if Pokemon Sun and Moon was very near in release in 2016? And how far does Sakurai look into the future to consider Switch content for Smash Switch? Would he get more funds from Nintendo's profit of Switch sales to allow last-minute unique characters like Rex to be developed if in the situation the 6 month rule is ignored with Xenoblade getting an exception. Is it easier for Sakurai to allow such additions to happen when it could affect production costs for Smash Switch, or would faster development time allow such late unique additions to be added.

So many more questions have been wrapping up in my mind since waking up this morning thinking about Xenoblade newcomers all of a sudden, I could use some answers.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd like to see a chart of every released game in between Smashes 4 and now, with major sales noted.

I think that's where we'll find our most likely newcomers.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'd like to see a chart of every released game in between Smashes 4 and now, with major sales noted.

I think that's where we'll find our most likely newcomers.
Resetera's APC_Cipher made one with Japanese release dates about a month ago:

Also one for Brawl:

I don't remember if any with sales data are drafted up though.

Edit: Small note, Lucario debuted in the 2005 movie and Lucas' game was delayed from 2005. Thanks True Blue Warrior.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Once again. From what you know. Celica as a priestess is very different as you can see in Fire Emblem Warriors. There's not an embargo on swords and magic.
But there is the fact that there's not much she can add that robin doesn't do, they don't need to add another character, especially if they don't add that much moveset wise

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Interesting that the roster finalization took place 4 months after the proposal. I guess something like Switch games could be accounted for when Sakurai finalized the Smash Switch roster if he had that time, assuming it also took 4 months for the game's roster to be finalized.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smash Bros. always lags behind current trends by nature of its development.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Today is the final day to submit your suggestions for the Super Smash Bros. Switch Stage Poll!
Let's get as many stage ideas as possible before the end of the day!

Tonight I will be setting the google form to no longer accept responses. I will then reveal the most frequently suggested stages!
But it won't be over then - the stages which were suggested numerous times will be compiled into a larger survey for a second round of voting. By gathering all of your votes, we will determine Smashboards' collective dream stage roster!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But there is the fact that there's not much she can add that robin doesn't do, they don't need to add another character, especially if they don't add that much moveset wise
I disagree entirely. Her fighting style is nothing like his, and the thing people don't seem to realize is that, discounting his Final Smash, Robin only uses his magic in his specials and jab. Celica has a lot of untapped potential in that regard.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I disagree entirely. Her fighting style is nothing like his, and the thing people don't seem to realize is that, discounting his Final Smash, Robin only uses his magic in his specials and jab. Celica has a lot of untapped potential in that regard.
But celica literally has a sword in her official artwork, it's part of her amiibo too, it'd be weird as hell not to have her use it in smash as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But celica literally has a sword in her official artwork, it's part of her amiibo too, it'd be weird as hell not to have her use it in smash as well.
I never said she wouldn't use it at all. I just think she'd use it far less than her actual magic.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So I have been thinking about Pokemon and Greninja lately and connecting that to Sakurai's interview for the FE 25th anniversary and it has me asking several questions:

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Pokemon was the only franchise to get such a treatment. Would the project plan in early 2016 account Xenoblade 2 in mid-development? Would the 6-month timespan mentioned by Sakurai for FE characters be accounted? Can such exceptions even be considered at all in the roster plan if Pokemon Sun and Moon was very near in release in 2016? And how far does Sakurai look into the future to consider Switch content for Smash Switch? Would he get more funds from Nintendo's profit of Switch sales to allow last-minute unique characters like Rex to be developed if in the situation the 6 month rule is ignored with Xenoblade getting an exception. Is it easier for Sakurai to allow such additions to happen when it could affect production costs for Smash Switch, or would faster development time allow such late unique additions to be added.

So many more questions have been wrapping up in my mind since waking up this morning thinking about Xenoblade newcomers all of a sudden, I could use some answers.
I assume Sakurai would go about choosing a Xenoblade newcomer in a similar way he went about choosing Ike in Brawl. He'd go down to Monolith Soft some time during the pre-production phase to ask about any potential newcomer candidates and provided that Monolith Soft and Takahashi were willing to cooperate he'd be shown stuff about Xenoblade 2, Rex & Pyra, and the Blade/Driver system. Remember Sakurai he briefly considered putting Miis in Brawl so he's presumably able to get a look at upcoming games long before they go gold.

With Pokémon, Sakurai stated the Pokémon Company has a much stronger say on what newcomer gets into Smash which is why he simply asked them to give him a list of potential candidates.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash Bros. always lags behind current trends by nature of its development.
Pretty much. Newcomer rosters for the previous Smash games have always been largely more based off the year when development started than the years after. Sakurai even stated that had Awakening been released 6 months later Robin would have been less likely to be a newcomer.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if it's more profitable to fill the roster with ballot choices and have recent characters as DLC or visa versa.

I would think the former was true but I don't know anything about marketing.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Pretty much. Newcomer rosters for the previous Smash games have always been largely more based off the year when development started than the years after. Sakurai even stated that had Awakening been released 6 months later Robin would have been less likely to be a newcomer.
So we have our formula.

Anyone know when SSB5 probably started?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if it's more profitable to fill the roster with ballot choices and have recent characters as DLC or visa versa.

I would think the former was true but I don't know anything about marketing.
I know this is hypothetical but still a really bad idea.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
So we have our formula.

Given Smash 4 DLC ended in February, which was the same month of the year that Kid Icarus Uprising went gold, it makes sense to try and transpose Smash 4's development cycle as a rough guide for Smash 5, with the project likely starting in early March 2016 and the roster probably being finalised in the realms of July-September that year. Smash 5's development may have been vastly different if the enhanced port turned to a new game spectulation is true, but for early development Smash 4 is the best analogue to the current situation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have some exciting news to share with you guys. Just passed my final for my second semester of nursing school. I'm exactly halfway done with my college's nursing program, and I could be working in a hospital by this time next year.

And now that I'm officially out of school for the summer, I have more time for Smash speculation. :chuckle:

I assume Sakurai would go about choosing a Xenoblade newcomer in a similar way he went about choosing Ike in Brawl. He'd go down to Monolith Soft some time during the pre-production phase to ask about any potential newcomer candidates and provided that Monolith Soft and Takahashi were willing to cooperate he'd be shown stuff about Xenoblade 2, Rex & Pyra, and the Blade/Driver system. Remember Sakurai he briefly considered putting Miis in Brawl so he's presumably able to get a look at upcoming games long before they go gold.

With Pokémon, Sakurai stated the Pokémon Company has a much stronger say on what newcomer gets into Smash which is why he simply asked them to give him a list of potential candidates.
That's what I would assume. XC2 was definitely far along in development when Sakurai started working on Smash Switch. Monolith Soft could have easily shown off a near-finished Rex and Pyra to him if they wanted to.

So we have our formula.

Most people have settled for November 2016, but it's possible development started as far back as June/July 2016. I doubt that's the case though, since that would mean this game is taking just as long to make as Smash 3DS/Wii U (two and a half years).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So we have our formula.

The last of smash 4's dlc was in february, then sakurai took a break before the next project began, so I'm thinking the project plan was likely done around summer 2016

That's what I would assume. XC2 was definitely far along in development when Sakurai started working on Smash Switch. Monolith Soft could have easily shown off a near-finished Rex and Pyra to him if they wanted to.
I think the bigger question with rex and pyra is, would sakurai want to start work and design a moveset for a character that doesn't have a game out yet? We know robin was added after sakurai played awakening and that's where the whole moveset came from. Would he still want to include rex without actually playing the game beforehand? I feel like rex would be largely different than say greninja who's a pokemon which are essentially very simple in design and abilities, sakurai was essentially able to make up greninja's entire moveset, he couldn't really do that with rex

Last edited:

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Given Smash 4 DLC ended in February, which was the same month of the year that Kid Icarus Uprising went gold, it makes sense to try and transpose Smash 4's development cycle as a rough guide for Smash 5, with the project likely starting in early March 2016 and the roster probably being finalised in the realms of July-September that year. Smash 5's development may have been vastly different if the enhanced port turned to a new game spectulation is true, but for early development Smash 4 is the best analogue to the current situation.
Didn't Sakurai have a short vacation when he finsihed the DLC? I don't think it would be in March

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Sakurai have a short vacation when he finsihed the DLC? I don't think it would be in March
The final DLC was released on 3rd February, I'm not policing Sakurai's holiday time but a month off game development seems in-line with a short vacation to me. I do think he deserves more than that, but I'm making a rough guess.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Interesting that the roster finalization took place 4 months after the proposal. I guess something like Switch games could be accounted for when Sakurai finalized the Smash Switch roster if he had that time, assuming it also took 4 months for the game's roster to be finalized.
Wait what proposal? I'm behind in this

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The final DLC was released on 3rd February, I'm not policing Sakurai's holiday time but a month off game development seems in-line with a short vacation to me. I do think he deserves more than that, but I'm making a rough guess.
The interview where Sakurai stated he was taking a breather was released in January. I don't know how long it takes between when an interview is conducted and when it is released in Japan, but at the most development of Smash Switch likely started somewhere around February-March.

Funny enough, if this is true, this would mean it would have only have been ~2-3 months since the international release of XCX (and we know thanks to Corrin that Sakurai does think international release date matter to some extend). Could it mean something? Could it not? Just something interesting to note at any rate.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Resetera's APC_Cipher made one with Japanese release dates about a month ago:

Also one for Brawl:

I don't remember if any with sales data are drafted up though.

Edit: Small note, Lucario debuted in the 2005 movie and Lucas' game was delayed from 2005. Thanks True Blue Warrior.
Yeah, hi. That's me and my work. :p

I wasn't aware of the Mother 3 delay or that Lucario debuted in the movie. Thanks for that, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior !

Anyway, I used this data mainly to help see what kind of range we'd be looking at for characters. And what I found was that, in all likeliness, newcomers for Smash Switch would hail from Wii U / late 3DS, so right around August 2012, up to probably sometime in mid-2016 (with exceptions for Pokemon, of course). Originally I had extended it to just before Switch's launch, but now that you mention Mother 3's delay, it makes far more sense to have BotW content considering the numerous delays.

I made a roster prediction based on that, but I'll probably be changing it soon due to a bunch of other factors.

>Putting Fox's shield as a symbol for Melee.
What else could it have been? :p

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, hi. That's me and my work. :p

I wasn't aware of the Mother 3 delay or that Lucario debuted in the movie. Thanks for that, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior !

Anyway, I used this data mainly to help see what kind of range we'd be looking at for characters. And what I found was that, in all likeliness, newcomers for Smash Switch would hail from Wii U / late 3DS, so right around August 2012, up to probably sometime in mid-2016 (with exceptions for Pokemon, of course). Originally I had extended it to just before Switch's launch, but now that you mention Mother 3's delay, it makes far more sense to have BotW content considering the numerous delays.

I made a roster prediction based on that, but I'll probably be changing it soon due to a bunch of other factors.

What else could it have been? :p
The biggest question is this - why was a Pokemon X and Y newcomer given a different treatment to Robin (in light of Sakurai stating that had Awakening released 6 months later Robin would have been less likely)?

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
First Party Releases/News for Q1-Q2 of 2016:

-Breath of the Wild shown (E3)
-Hyrule Warriors Legends
-Paper Mario: Color Splash
-Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
-Twilight Princess HD
-Star Fox Zero
-Pokken Tournament
-Pokemon Sun and Moon shown
-Federation Force shown
-Mario Maker Shown

Take your picks. What sticks out to me is BotW, Star Fox, and SuMo. Paper Mario may be up for grabs.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The biggest question is this- why was a Pokemon X and Y newcomer given a different treatment to Robin (in light of Sakurai stating that had Awakening released 6 months later Robin would have been less likely)?
I'm going to guess it's because Pokemon is the world's highest-grossing media franchise and Sakurai/Nintendo viewed Pokemon X and Y as a far more important game to promote/take content from because of that.

D

Deleted member

Six weeks away from E3... oh my goodness. So excited!

E3 will help with my big emotional low self-esteem problem I have.

I think it is not going to be as showy, but Spring Man and Decidueye are very likely to be shown in E3.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Keep in mind guys that Oddysey finished development before 2017 so there is still a good chance of us getting quiet a lot of content from that game.

I'm going to guess it's because Pokemon is the world's highest-grossing media franchise and Sakurai/Nintendo viewed Pokemon X and Y as a far more important game to promote/take content from because of that.
If that is the case then I guess there is little chance of us getting Rex as a playable character in the base roster of Smash Switch especially since Xenoblade was still a very niche franchise back in 2016 and if 6 months later would have made Robin less likely, you have to wonder whether or not Sakurai would even be interested in a character from a game that wouldn't be released (assuming development started somewhere around February-March 2016) for another year and 9-10 months.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

-Hyrule Warriors Legends
-Twilight Princess HD
-Star Fox Zero
-Pokken Tournament
-Federation Force shown
-Mario Maker Shown

Take your picks. What sticks out to me is BotW, Star Fox, and SuMo. Paper Mario may be up for grabs.
Oh! Oh! I got it!

We need another Fire Emblem character! :dazwa:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

-Hyrule Warriors Legends
-Twilight Princess HD
-Star Fox Zero
-Pokken Tournament
-Federation Force shown
-Mario Maker Shown

And this is why I REALLY want characters from Switch games. That's not a very exciting list of games to choose from, and the only characters that seem somewhat plausible are a SuMo Pokémon and a Sticker Star and Color Splash-inspired Paper Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom