• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sometimes I just go listen to the Thousand Year Door overture and theme and picture a Paper Mario reveal trailer set to it knowing damn well he won't ever make it into Smash.

It's kinda sad!

kylexv

Smash Master
Wait. What are the characters confirmed to get a voice change from Smash 4 to now?:

I know :ultganondorf::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultzelda: and maybe :ultfox::ultfalco:, but is there anyone else?

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
here's a smash related question:

What characters did you like playing in smash 4 that for whatever reason never clicked you want to give another go in ultimate? I.E: A Character you never could really grasp but always wanted to.

I've always liked playing Meta Knight, kirby, Peach, Zamus, falco, Lucario and the heavies but for some reason i just don't know how to play them. They don't click with me whatsoever, but i wanna give them a good shot in ultimate. :)

Although now that i've recently required smash 4 i have magically been able to play Peach kinda but she's still super confusing.

EDIT: Also Lucas!!! He was my main in brawl but i just can't with him in smash 4, i don't know why D:
Hmm... I did like Lucario in Brawl, but for whatever reason, he didn't gel well with me in 4. Dedede as well to a lesser extent, which was sad because he was one of my Brawl mains. Hoping to give both of them a try in Ultimate, though Lucario may end up being a secondary since I still plan to make Mewtwo one of my mains in Ultimate.

As for characters introduced in Smash 4, I'd really like to get better with Duck Hunt and Shulk, as while I found them fun to use, I couldn't quite grasp how they worked to use them effectively, especially with Duck Hunt's Smash attacks. Considering I like playing more unorthodox characters, I'd like to try to fit them in more regularly when Ultimate releases. :)

Shroob

Sup?
If news doesn't come by Wednesday night.... I'm legit thinking that they could just end up cancelling the Direct altogether.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

What characters did you like playing in smash 4 that for whatever reason never clicked you want to give another go in ultimate? I.E: A Character you never could really grasp but always wanted to.

I've always liked playing Meta Knight, kirby, Peach, Zamus, falco, Lucario and the heavies but for some reason i just don't know how to play them. They don't click with me whatsoever, but i wanna give them a good shot in ultimate. :)

Although now that i've recently required smash 4 i have magically been able to play Peach kinda but she's still super confusing.

EDIT: Also Lucas!!! He was my main in brawl but i just can't with him in smash 4, i don't know why D:
Palutena, definitley. I was a huge Palutena supporter during Smash 4 speculation and was super pumped to see her get in. And there's a lot of moves she has that I think are really fun. Bair and Dash Attack are super satisfying once you get they hang if them, Uair is a busted kill come and U-smash is cool, and...that's it. None of her other moves are fun to me. Fair is good but doesn't feel satisying to land.

I'm hoping they'll fix her in Ultimate so that more of her moveset is actually usable and feels better to land, although I'm honestly not expecting it out of fear of disappointment.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Sometimes I just go listen to the Thousand Year Door overture and theme and picture a Paper Mario reveal trailer set to it knowing damn well he won't ever make it into Smash.

It's kinda sad!
You know, as another guy who wants Paper Mario in smash, and seeing you post about him here and there I have to ask. If they chose partners for his specials, would you rather they pull from the original game, TTYD or Super Paper Mario?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, as another guy who wants Paper Mario in smash, and seeing you post about him here and there I have to ask. If they chose partners for his specials, would you rather they pull from the original game, TTYD or Super Paper Mario?
TTYD has the most charming cast, SPM would probably be the most practical. So, TTYD.
Truthfully I wouldn't mind if we don't get more than 1 partner. PM constantly summoning would be pretty awkward.

D

Deleted member

Oh, are you challenging me? You'll regret that when you see how terrible it'll be because I suck at making character threads
I wonder if I should go with the Imperial idea from before, or go with the least Smash-suitable class possible and just make a giant ****post of questionable quality and effort. :p
but I'm not doing this now, I need sleep first
Whatever it is, you'll be sure to see a moveset from me :p

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

It's kinda sad!
I'd love to see Paper Mario personally, and I was honestly shocked he didn't show up back in the Brawl days, considering how well received both Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were back in the day. At least with all of the newer games he's had over the years, I can imagine quite a unique moveset with him involving his hammer, differing jump attacks, potential partner attacks, and folding up into various paper shapes.

It would certainly make him a unique character in the roster just for the paper mechanics alone!

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Wait. What are the characters confirmed to get a voice change from Smash 4 to now?:

I know :ultganondorf::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultzelda: and maybe :ultfox::ultfalco:, but is there anyone else?
:ultganondorf::ultlink::ultzelda::ultike::ultmarth: do have new voices as you said, as does :ultsheik: and :ultpokemontrainer:. :ultfox: has the same voice actor but with new clips this time, so the same can be expected of :ultfalco:, and :ultwolf: will probably have his Star Fox Zero voice. :ultyounglink: and :ultpichu: will probably have new ones due to how long it's been since Melee. :ultroy: will most likely have an English voice this time as well, since Marth and Ike were updated.

As for anyone else, it's either reused from Brawl, Smash 4, or unknown.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I've mostly played characters I like whether or not I'm good with them. But there are a few that didn't mesh with me well...

Big one is the Trainer. Squirtle was my big one in Brawl, and I'd gotten reasonably competent with Ivysaur as well, so naturally they ended up cutting the two I was good at. I'm hoping that I can get Charizard to a playable level since I love the transformation as a spot dodge this time.

Also, Ganondorf in Brawl seemed cool enough, but he was a derpy old man and not much fun in For. I'm excited to try him and his new sword smashes out.

However, with Riddles and the Rool, I know I'm gonna be playing a lot of heavies this round.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'd love to see Paper Mario personally, and I was honestly shocked he didn't show up back in the Brawl days, considering how well received both Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were back in the day. At least with all of the newer games he's had over the years, I can imagine quite a unique moveset with him involving his hammer, differing jump attacks, potential partner attacks, and folding up into various paper shapes.

It would certainly make him a unique character in the roster just for the paper mechanics alone!
He could be one of the most unique characters in the entire roster yet people still insist he'd just be another Mario.
It hurts.

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I did like Lucario in Brawl, but for whatever reason, he didn't gel well with me in 4. Dedede as well to a lesser extent, which was sad because he was one of my Brawl mains. Hoping to give both of them a try in Ultimate, though Lucario may end up being a secondary since I still plan to make Mewtwo one of my mains in Ultimate.

As for characters introduced in Smash 4, I'd really like to get better with Duck Hunt and Shulk, as while I found them fun to use, I couldn't quite grasp how they worked to use them effectively, especially with Duck Hunt's Smash attacks. Considering I like playing more unorthodox characters, I'd like to try to fit them in more regularly when Ultimate releases. :)
I played as lucario a ton in brawl, but I can't quite put my finger on what they did to him in smash 4 that made him so bad to play as, I think they messed up his aerial attacks IIRC. They shrunk his hurtboxes like crazy and made his attacks more laggy.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There is a nice handful of them that could work as a very rare chance to appear.

Also I could see some of them being a boss.

EDIT: forgot Master balls were already back.
They'll probably be stage hazards in the new Pokemon stage and Lusamine merged with Nihilego will probably be the boss.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:ultfox: has the same voice actor
Does someone have a video with decent audio of Fox? I'd heard people say it's not cringey like it was in For, but I haven't really heard him myself. I just know I couldn't bear to do his recovery with the sound on.

Also, I've heard that the hammer has a unique sound/particle effect, but most of the videos I've seen have people avoiding items like the plague. Is there one of that too?

Oh, and I've just restarted my BotW file and it reminded me - did they give Link a wall cling now considering that's 90% of BotW gameplay?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

:ultfox: does have a voice change, so :ultfalco::ultwolf: will have to get voice changes, but :ultpit: is getting new lines, :ultsheik: has a new voice, and I guess :ultridley: has new voice clips due to it being a different form of his...:ultroy: will need to go English and :ultrobin will have atleast a few new voice clips

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Okay guys what music do you want to see in Ultimate
Obviously, we gotta have the best Butter Building remix (though Brawl's is a close second):

A few others offhand:
And finally (why was this ever removed in the first place?)

(Bonus: impossible because these are fan remixes, but these sounded amazing over Fourside and WarioWare in my Brawl modding days):

D

Deleted member

:ultlink::ultzelda: are the main ones I'll give anigher go, mainly because of the redesigns and their new Down Bs too.
:ultchrom::ultdarksamus: technically new but their movesets already existed. Not a fan of Roy as a character so hopefully Chrom will make me like the moveset more and Damus just looks so damn cool

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Obviously, we gotta have the best Butter Building remix (though Brawl's is a close second):

A few others offhand:
And finally (why was this ever removed in the first place?)

(Bonus: impossible because these are fan remixes, but these sounded amazing over Fourside and WarioWare in my Brawl modding days):
Maybe they removed Checker Knights because the Kirby anime (which it also is associated with) stopped airing years ago.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultlink::ultzelda: are the main ones I'll give anigher go, mainly because of the redesigns and their new Down Bs too.
:ultchrom::ultdarksamus: technically new but their movesets already existed. Not a fan of Roy as a character so hopefully Chrom will make me like the moveset more and Damus just looks so damn cool
Samus, Zamus, Damus...then there’s Ridley (no way in hell will he be called Ramus)

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Does someone have a video with decent audio of Fox? I'd heard people say it's not cringey like it was in For, but I haven't really heard him myself. I just know I couldn't bear to do his recovery with the sound on.

At 8:20. Here's the best one I could find. Mike West does a much better job this time around, imo.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Maybe they removed Checker Knights because the Kirby anime (which it also is associated with) stopped airing years ago.
That'd also been the case well before Brawl's release, but the fact that the tune does originate from the anime unlike the other Air Ride tracks in Smash (to my recollection) may be the reason.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I'll hold you to that. One Brouni Blade Dancer Masurao thread coming right up. Every move deals 0.1% of damage. Let's see what you do with that. :p
okay, I won't actually do that, even I'm not that cruel
YOU'RE JUST ASKING ME TO MAKE A MOVESET AROUND 999-HIT COMBOS
actually, that should be the Pugilist's moveset
Samus, Zamus, Damus...then there’s Ridley (no way in hell will he be called Ramus)
I say we need Camus

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Which pit side special is better?

Barely Electroshock since it can kill earlier on the side, but also barely Upperdash since it’s perfectly balanced (as all things should be)...so it’s a both

Untouch

Smash Master
Looking at the blog post numbers based on the filenames...

New Donk City -> 124
Peach (Memory) -> 126 (skipping 1 character)
Ike (Memory) -> 129 (skipping 2 characters)
Final Destination -> 132 (skipping 1 character and 1 song)
A. Exeggutor -> 133
Toon Link (Memory) -> 139 (skipping 2 characters)

It's very clear something was skipped over.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

New Donk City -> 124
A. Exeggutor -> 133

So what you're saying is we are getting 6 characters in the Direct
Or am I literally an idiot

Shroob

Sup?

New Donk City -> 124
A. Exeggutor -> 133

The question is, how 'much' was skipped?

Because that looks like 2 characters worth of filenames.

I've always wanted to play :ultmegaman: (i'm a huge fan of the serie) but i couldn't find ways to be consistently good and his list of 'good' moves was quite short in sm4sh (mainly f-air, up-tilt, dash attack, down and f-smash) which makes his gameplay a bit unintersting imo, also metal blade and leaf shield were all but useless. As a fan it was pretty disappointing to see that Megaman's projectiles sucked... that's supposed to be his 'thing' after all.

Tho i will absolutely give him another go in Ultimate mainly because he'll get some pretty exciting buuuuuuuuuffs!! :

Smash wiki:
Attributes
  • Like all characters, Mega Man's jumpsquat animation now takes three frames to complete.
  • Footstools can now be teched, which significantly worsens his combo game.
Ground attacks
  • The ability to use any ground attack out of a run in Ultimate benefits up tilt, as combined with its sheer knockback, it can catch landings and punishopponents much more effectively for KOs.
  • Forward smash has more range and activates faster.
  • Up smash activates faster.
  • Up smash has more endlag.
  • Dash attack deals more damage.
Special Moves
  • Metal Blade deals more damage and knockback.
  • Leaf Shield has a faster startup, its leaves spin more quickly around Mega Man and do not vanish upon hitting opponents, and the shield can be thrown much faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom