• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Before Grinch:

Only vergeben knows anything.

2-3 other people might know a little, and they agree with vergeben.

All the game channels and Youtubers talk about every leak being possible and real from box theory to Prima to vergeben to even the stupid toenail leak.

After Grinch:

EVERYONE and their pet monkeys knows the entire roster and every character that is in it. They can say with absolute 100% authority that they know the Grinch Leak is fake and they are right. Proof? Evidence? Anything to indicate they all know? Maybe even past Smash leaks that were right? Nope. They don't have jack.

They all just magically know now after months of nothing. The complete roster of which they can not tell us, just to trust them.

Something isn't adding up. I don't blame anyone for not believing the leak (I'm still on Team 50/50, and Sakurai's words from before make me have my doubts), but you have to admit something is wrong here.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So do we think the DK series will receive another assist trophy? I think so, since they are underrepped in that area, plus Sakurai could do much more than just Klaptrap.
(Please no Dixie assist Sakurai)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The fact that there is no music post today confirms that there is at least one fighter from a previously unrepresented series, which kills the box theory and implies that CoroCoro's report of "108 stages" was a leak that they had to cover up.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No music blog post yet is promising, we're getting a new franchise minimum tomorrow. And it makes sense that we had the 3 repeat franchises before this.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Nice theory came up that Rosalina is a hint at Geno (star theme/blue fairy and pinocchio). Farfetched but nice.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Devil's advocate, but he could claim he isn't Chadndorf, he didn't post the fake banner, or other stuff I guess.
Not possible, because in one of his videos, he had a single frame of a Discord conversation between him and someone else about posting the Grinch Leak pop up, which is definitive proof he was involved with the leak.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The fact that there is no music post today confirms that there is at least one fighter from a previously unrepresented series, which kills the box theory and implies that CoroCoro's report of "108 stages" was a leak that they had to cover up.
Mystic did say that there were at least 108 Stages did he not?
and that all 5 of the new ones would be related to the Newcomers?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The Directs starts
"Hello, I'm Masahiro Sakurai. I'm here to inform you today that we have decided to cancel Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Never ask me for anything ever again..."
*The last 40 minutes are him just staring at the camera*
At some point Sakurai gets biffed by a mic on the end of a boom pole. Barely blinking, he keeps staring on for the remainder of the Direct.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bruh, you guys need to at least acknowledge that there's a good chance SOMEBODY has good information.

It's like fans just think Nintendo is sacred and doesn't let information get leaked out. This happens every game. People had inside information last time. People probably have it this time.

After Thursday, it's not going to matter who was right or wrong. If the leak is fake, and you fell for it, and the reveals aren't what you wanted, you're going to be pissed and salty.

If it turns out to be real, literally everyone is going to be excited about the characters, and I hope not actually more excited that they were right calling it real.

At this point, I believe we're going to see Incineroar, Ken, HOPEFULLY Isaac, and then a DLC pick. I'll be happily surprised at Banjo and Geno, but Chorus Kids, Mach Rider and Shadow wouldn't be entirely heartbreaking for me. Best case, we get them all. But I doubt it based on what I've seen.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
MTP isn't a bright person. He used to get riled up and flamed on Tumblr all the time by people obviously trolling him on his Tumblr account.

It's easily believable as well that someone would make a fake leak and send it to him because they know he'd be the type to brag about it and also fall for it hook line and sinker.
So... basically Chris-chan. Or the guy behind New Valver Heroes. (Look that up on DeviantART if you don't mind losing a few brain cells.)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Can't wait to see the Direct open with a Sora trailer.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If mariotehplumber is behind the Grinch Leak, real or fake, I'm fine with it, because he'd face legal repercussions either way. To put it in the words of a Tumblr post I saw:

If it’s real, he’s responsible for leaking sensitive information from Nintendo, can get sued by Nintendo AND by his friend (or friend of a friend or complete stranger) Eric who he had either tried to frame or who is also in trouble for breaking NDA.

If it’s fake, then he gets sued like hell by BOTH printing companies thought to be a part of this fiasco because it severely damages their reputations and their relationship with Nintendo.
People never seem to consider that leaking an image or video is copyright infringement. It's one thing to talk about info, that's not protected by anything but an NDA, and if you didn't sign one, you're not legally culpable for leaking it. It's another thing entirely to upload and share copyrighted material.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm worried about this direct if the Grinch Leak ends up being fake. People are so into it, I feel like the backlash is gonna be really bad if it ends up just being Incineroar and Ken.
Nothing will top what ROB got for not being Ridley.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Before Grinch:

All the game channels and Youtubers talk about every leak being possible and real from box theory to Prima to vergeben too even the stupid toenail leak.

After Grinch:

EVERYONE and their pet monkeys knows the entire roster and every character that is in it. They can say with absolute 100% authority that they know the Grinch Leak is fake and they are right. Proof? Evidence? Anything to indicate they all know? Maybe even past Smash leaks that were right? Nope. They don't have jack.

They all just magically know now after months of nothing. The complete roster of which they can not tell us, just to trust them.

Something isn't adding up. I don't blame anyone for not believing the leak (I'm still on Team 50/50, and Sakurai's words from before make me have my doubts), but you have to admit something is wrong here.
We don't know WHAT information they are privy to. Example: A lot of these people are in the Press and it's very possible Press kits have been released detailing smaller information in the direct. To use an example, SourceGaming had been sitting on the Crafted Yoshi alt for a few weeks before they officially released it getting permission from Nintendo. Same deal here. The common occurrence is that "One (or more) of the characters is an assist trophy". Perhaps they know that because said character(s) are in an assist trophy portion of a Press kit and is very likely connected to an NDA. Unless we know what they know, I don't think it's right to criticize them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
MTP: "Just show it you [censored]"

Marked out name: *gives picture*

Both messages on Sept. 28th.

Now, if what I've seen said about MTP is true, I highly doubt he faked it himself, as it seems he couldn't have put this much detail. The MS Paint brush being used to try and censor Eric's name was probably because his buddy didn't actually want Eric to get into trouble, and to him the coverup looked good enough (as I'm sure it would to the average person or child/young teen) or MTP did that himself because he actually had some feelings and didn't want to frame him, but little did he know that you could kinda make out the letters if you looked closely after zooming in or used some kind of image editing tool (if MTP didn't care, I highly doubt he would've marked the name out at all). They probably didn't use their brain and didn't think they could just crop it out.

"Just show it" could mean that someone on that discord said they saw the full Smash roster, and MTP demanded it. MTP then decided to use it to gain attention without realizing what he was doing.

Of course the discord messages could've been staged and he just paid someone to fake it, but I feel the leak just became a bit stronger (even if it is connected to some jerk).

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Before Grinch:

All the game channels and Youtubers talk about every leak being possible and real from box theory to Prima to vergeben too even the stupid toenail leak.

After Grinch:

Because the Grinch leak allows them to make vague statements for attention that can't be immediately contradicted.

"Some of these characters aren't in the game," "Some of these characters are Assist Trophies," "X was cut for DLC," etc.

If they have that kind of information, they'd be able to actually say who was an Assist Trophy or whatever. How can they know any of them are Assist Trophies if they don't know exactly who it is? Compared to Vergeben who's been very specific the entire time unless he didn't have enough sources to verify the information. It's clear that he's had a legitimate source, but these other people are all simply opportunists reacting to a leak that they get to comment on and get free attention.

It is possible that there is more information out there now that the Direct is about to go live, but then you would think the statements would be more consistent. Guess we'll find out who, if any, was actually telling any kind of truth.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not possible, because in one of his videos, he had a single frame of a Discord conversation between him and someone else about posting the Grinch Leak pop up, which is definitive proof he was involved with the leak.
Discord screens are easily faked, though.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, 'could' still be Incineroar with a Gen7 song.

We've only had a single Gen3 song on the blog so far.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I don't think you guys have processed how huge having a Tetris character in Smash would be!

Tetris:
- is widely considered to be the best video game ever sold
- was essential to the initial launch of the GameBoy due to the massive legal entanglement it was involved in ("Tetris made Game Boy")
- is a cultural icon that can be recognized by literally anyone with a brain cell
- is the best-selling video game of all time across all platforms

Amidst other reasons. Third party characters have to be iconic across the globe. There is no game more recognizable than Tetris.

This is not a joke. This would be a landmark character and would solidify Smash as "the biggest crossover in gaming history"!

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Before Grinch:

After Grinch:

That's why i am not trusting any insiders. They know nothing. They're pulling it outta their butt

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Man I've only been in this community since Smash 4 hype days but I've never seen the community this split over a leak. Has anything like this ever happened before (besides ESRB)?

Also hello 588 guests.

D

Deleted member

You know, I'm staring to think that obsessing over leaks are this fanbase's equivalent to a cocaine addiction.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I don't think you guys have processed how huge having a Tetris character in Smash would be!

Tetris:
- is widely considered to be the best video game ever sold
- was essential to the initial launch of the GameBoy due to the massive legal entanglement it was involved in ("Tetris made Game Boy")
- is a cultural icon that can be recognized by literally anyone with a brain cell
- is the best-selling video game of all time across all platforms

Amidst other reasons. Third party characters have to be iconic across the globe. There is no game more recognizable than Tetris.

This is not a joke. This would be a landmark character and would solidify Smash as "the biggest crossover in gaming history"!
Tetris has characters?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Could also just be running late but we'll wait another half an hour and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom