• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is my main now. 100% main. He's so damn fun. Especially the teleportation mindgames I can pull.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Holy ****, I hate Mewtwo so much.
Slippery little alien cat thing just moves out of everything and then hits me for a gazillion damage.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Completed World of Light today. Hades, Final Form, is the best spirit, and that makes me happy enough to overlook Sakurai's bias.

Overall the mode was okay. Some short comings for sure

The balance. Since from start to finish you'll be fighting against 1 and 2 star spirit battles and at a certain point you've got legend rank spirits with advantage (plus skills) so you just stomp through. A lot of the time I didn't even check the details of the battles because I was so strong. Didn't even bother changing from Kirby for the majority of it until I got Incineroar. Yeah you can willingly pick weaker spirits, think that gets you more currency items, but if you're so strong already you don't need that extra, and it's not like there is a shortage of battles. I've still got dozens left on the map I ignored.

The final battle was great though, not so challenging to be salt inducing but enough to where it can feel intense.

Only other thing was I wish the character battles on the map were more meaningfully placed. Sometimes you'll get one where like you play a food minigame to get King Dedede which is nice but most of the time you just kinda find them randomly in a place you wouldn't expect, like Daisy is just chilling in a Castlevania section.

Just as an aside if it isn't obvious (I didn't make the connection immediately myself), don't stress about the Challenge Board postings, literally(?) anything you see there shows up somewhere in WoL and you'll be stronger there because of skills.

OH and be sure to always check your 3 star (Ace) spirits to see if they can enhance to Legend, there's a fair amount of them. Lyn, Zelgius, Midna (should've became Twilight Princess, but Wolf Link is cool too), Camus, Shadow, Ganondorf (TP), and Paper Bowser to name a few off the top of my head.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I am curious to know what is everyone’s thoughts on world of light? Tbh I just can’t get into the mode. Some of the challenges can get frustrating and seem impossible and idk I’m just finding it to be boring tbh..the only reason I’m forcing myself to play is because I heard there are extra cut scene and I want to see them playing through the mode but idk if I could push myself to do it :/

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Smash did contact Boon about Mortal Kombat in it? He surely wouldn't be publicly speaking about it or hinting about it or even talking about Smash.

This reminds me of the Yacht Club games situation with Shovel Knight from Smash 4's DLC.

It's nothing more than Boon wanting his characters in Smash and trying to get the fan support drawn up.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am curious to know what is everyone’s thoughts on world of light? Tbh I just can’t get into the mode. Some of the challenges can get frustrating and seem impossible and idk I’m just finding it to be boring tbh..the only reason I’m forcing myself to play is because I heard there are extra cut scene and I want to see them playing through the mode but idk if I could push myself to do it :/
It sucks.
Beat it. Never want to look at it again.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Probably will never end up playing it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As cool as Scorpion maybe for Smash. It probably won't happen but won't doubt the possibility especially since Joker's inclusion.

Joker's inclusion was a huge breakthrough. At this point we really don't know what to expect from Sakurai and Nintendo with the last 4 DLC characters. We could even get Master Chief and Kratos for all we know.

Its no joke when Sakurai is already considered a Mad Man. :p

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I'm going to curse this thread again, with something worse than bubsy

This offical Sonic Movie poster

DuEQGWFVsAAMz46.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Finished WoL 100% finally.
It was alright.
Once I beat Dharkon and the third map opened up, I could feel the tedium start to set in. I enjoyed it for the most part, a lot of the battles were fun and the final boss and ending were great, but it felt like it overstayed it's welcome for a bit too long.
But at least now I can put on that sweet, sweet Melee menu theme and forget that the others exist except for the Smash 64 fighter select theme and Lifelight.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mewtwo is my main now. 100% main. He's so damn fun. Especially the teleportation mindgames I can pull.
Holy ****, I hate Mewtwo so much.
Slippery little alien cat thing just moves out of everything and then hits me for a gazillion damage.
It's funny how these comments came back to back.
---
Well, I just memed in Smash (again).

3v3 Team Smash, Red team is Robin (me), Chrom and Chröm (Chrom Mii) vs Marth, Lucina and Ike on a Fire Emblem stage (specifically Battlefield Colosseum), FS Meter on with the only items being Smash Ball and Fake Smash Ball. I used the Melee tournament rules (4 Stock, 8 Minutes), just because.

Unfortunately, Chrom was the first to die in the match, but fortunately I got the final hit with Robin's Final Smash, on Lucina.

So Chrom left the match early, then Robin called Chrom back to kill his daughter. Fun times.

The Victory Screen had Robin on the right, Chrom on the left and Chröm front and center.

*Fire Emblem theme poorly played on a piccolo intensifies*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't you hate it when someone gets mad that you wanted to buy DLC for your favorite game of all time, and goes on a preaching session about how all DLC is supposedly evil and your ruining the gaming industry by buying it even thought it's your money, your rules?

Fun people.

D

Deleted member

“Characters you wouldn’t expect to see in Smash,” as Reggie says, can (in my opinion) be interpreted multiple different ways:

1. With the Joker reveal, it can be assumed by many that this means third-party characters not originating directly from action/brawler type games.
2. One other assumption many people have alongside the Joker reveal is characters that aren’t super popular, and are only iconic in their specific niche.
3. An assumption I make is that these characters are going to be ones that haven’t really seen much daylight when it comes to crossovers, and Smash is more or less going to pop their crossover cherry.
4. Finally, a pretty far-out assumption I make is that these are going to be characters that all represent more mature/edgier games.

Here’s how I deconstruct all of these points of view using the little information we all have, aka, only knowing one of the 5 Fighters Pass fighters so far:

1. Persona is by no means an action or brawler game, it is 100% a turn-based JRPG with little real action outside of the personas that each character summons; the actual characters themselves rarely see to acting out any real violence. That said, as an avid Persona fan, I can say for sure that the only problem with putting Persona characters into action games is that it just hasn’t happened yet, aside from first-party ones such as Persona 4 Arena. These characters are definitely suited for action games, they’ve just never been given their chance when it comes to real third-parties incorporating them into their games. Me and my friend both came up with a very plausible moveset for Joker in Smash in about 5 minutes; it took very little effort and many of our veteran Smash player friends agreed that it would be a great moveset. So I think #1 can be marked off, as I believe Sakurai had no issues figuring out how to incorporate Joker into Smash.

2. While I can agree with the fact that Joker and Persona 5 as a whole aren’t super popular, and only really have status as “gaming icons” in their own little JRPG niche, one thing that can be said for certain is that Joker and Persona as a whole are VERY far from truly unknown. I feel like if Nintendo really wanted to go for 5 DLC fighters that truly REQUIRE exposure from something like Smash, Persona would be far from the first series they would go to, especially considering Sega published Persona 5 and aren’t really struggling for exposure right now. So, I do think this assumption can be considered debunked as well.

3. I think #3 is 100% valid no matter how you look at it, and definitely a possibility regardless. Persona as a whole has seen very few crossovers, the only real notable ones being BlazBlue and BanG Dream. To me, I can’t really say for sure whether this assumption holds any actual weight; maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t at all. But I don’t think it can truly be written off.

And 4. I think that, despite it being so far-fetched, this point is the one that has the highest chance of holding the most weight. Let’s face it, Nintendo has been using the Switch PLENTY to show that they’re not the family-oriented, kid-friendly gaming company that they’ve been known to be for the last 30 years anymore. And what better way to prove that then to incorporate a slew of very mature/edgy/gritty third-party characters into their biggest crossover game, which is now without a doubt the biggest gaming crossover of all time? I don’t think there really is a better way, and the first Fighters Pass DLC fighter being one from a notoriously M-rated franchise definitely shows that their goal might be to do just that. I mean sure, there’s a good chance that someone internally just so happened to be a huge Persona fan and saw this as a good opportunity, but I do think that all the stars align here and might explain EXACTLY why Nintendo is making the choices they are for the Fighters Pass DLC fighters.

So, how do I conclude this wall of text? I think nothing is certain, but if I had to bank on something, I’d likely say that 3 and 4 hold the most weight as a whole. I wouldn’t be even mildly surprised if either, or both, ended up being right.

Picks I would bank on right now if those points did end up being true:
If the Microsoft and Square Enix rumors are to be believed, I’d 100% lock in Master Chief and Lara Croft. The gritty, sub-intergalactic shooter and face of Xbox and without a doubt one of the most gritty, outlandish characters from within a Square Enix IP would fit assumptions 3 and 4 perfectly.
If those rumors are not to be believed, however? I would bank on either a Tekken or Mortal Kombat rep; likely either Kazuya or Scorpion. Outside of that, probably something outlandish like Pip Boy or Doomguy. Honestly not too sure.

I believe that, all things considered, we’ll still see two first-party reps within the Fighters Pass. Probably Waddle Dee and Skull Kid.

0% chance of Waluigi (obviously), Dixie Kong, Steve (Minecraft), and Geno. Banjo will always have a chance until he’s 100% deconfirmed.

Also, before I go, slightly contradictory to me bringing up the Square/Microsoft rumors: the “leakers” everyone follows (primarily Vergeben and Hitagi) are 100% hotheads and stopped clocks who know nothing about the DLC right now, possibly nothing about anything related to Smash leaks/future Smash content in general at this very moment. Don’t bother believing a word that comes out of their mouth, there’s a 90% chance they’ll say something to contradict it (and then complain about you for “misreporting what they say” when you point out their contradiction with proof on a YouTube video) within a week after saying what they originally said. They know nothing more than we, regular Smash players with NO insider information whatsoever, know. Mark my words.

Have a great day everyone!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
“Characters you wouldn’t expect to see in Smash,” as Reggie says, can (in my opinion) be interpreted multiple different ways:

1. With the Joker reveal, it can be assumed by many that this means third-party characters not originating directly from action/brawler type games.
2. One other assumption many people have alongside the Joker reveal is characters that aren’t super popular, and are only iconic in their specific niche.
3. An assumption I make is that these characters are going to be ones that haven’t really seen much daylight when it comes to crossovers, and Smash is more or less going to pop their crossover cherry.
4. Finally, a pretty far-out assumption I make is that these are going to be characters that all represent more mature/edgier games.

Here’s how I deconstruct all of these points of view using the little information we all have, aka, only knowing one of the 5 Fighters Pass fighters so far:

1. Persona is by no means an action or brawler game, it is 100% a turn-based JRPG with little real action outside of the personas that each character summons; the actual characters themselves rarely see to acting out any real violence. That said, as an avid Persona fan, I can say for sure that the only problem with putting Persona characters into action games is that it just hasn’t happened yet, aside from first-party ones such as Persona 4 Arena. These characters are definitely suited for action games, they’ve just never been given their chance when it comes to real third-parties incorporating them into their games. Me and my friend both came up with a very plausible moveset for Joker in Smash in about 5 minutes; it took very little effort and many of our veteran Smash player friends agreed that it would be a great moveset. So I think #1 can be marked off, as I believe Sakurai had no issues figuring out how to incorporate Joker into Smash.

2. While I can agree with the fact that Joker and Persona 5 as a whole aren’t super popular, and only really have status as “gaming icons” in their own little JRPG niche, one thing that can be said for certain is that Joker and Persona as a whole are VERY far from truly unknown. I feel like if Nintendo really wanted to go for 5 DLC fighters that truly REQUIRE exposure from something like Smash, Persona would be far from the first series they would go to, especially considering Sega published Persona 5 and aren’t really struggling for exposure right now. So, I do think this assumption can be considered debunked as well.

3. I think #3 is 100% valid no matter how you look at it, and definitely a possibility regardless. Persona as a whole has seen very few crossovers, the only real notable ones being BlazBlue and BanG Dream. To me, I can’t really say for sure whether this assumption holds any actual weight; maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t at all. But I don’t think it can truly be written off.

And 4. I think that, despite it being so far-fetched, this point is the one that has the highest chance of holding the most weight. Let’s face it, Nintendo has been using the Switch PLENTY to show that they’re not the family-oriented, kid-friendly gaming company that they’ve been known to be for the last 30 years anymore. And what better way to prove that then to incorporate a slew of very mature/edgy/gritty third-party characters into their biggest crossover game, which is now without a doubt the biggest gaming crossover of all time? I don’t think there really is a better way, and the first Fighters Pass DLC fighter being one from a notoriously M-rated franchise definitely shows that their goal might be to do just that. I mean sure, there’s a good chance that someone internally just so happened to be a huge Persona fan and saw this as a good opportunity, but I do think that all the stars align here and might explain EXACTLY why Nintendo is making the choices they are for the Fighters Pass DLC fighters.

So, how do I conclude this wall of text? I think nothing is certain, but if I had to bank on something, I’d likely say that 3 and 4 hold the most weight as a whole. I wouldn’t be even mildly surprised if either, or both, ended up being right.

If the Microsoft and Square Enix rumors are to be believed, I’d 100% lock in Master Chief and Lara Croft. The gritty, sub-intergalactic shooter and face of Xbox and without a doubt one of the most gritty, outlandish characters from within a Square Enix IP would fit assumptions 3 and 4 perfectly.
If those rumors are not to be believed, however? I would bank on either a Tekken or Mortal Kombat rep; likely either Kazuya or Scorpion. Outside of that, probably something outlandish like Pip Boy or Doomguy. Honestly not too sure.

I believe that, all things considered, we’ll still see two first-party reps within the Fighters Pass. Probably Waddle Dee and Skull Kid.

0% chance of Waluigi (obviously), Dixie Kong, Steve (Minecraft), and Geno. Banjo will always have a chance until he’s 100% deconfirmed.

Also, before I go, slightly contradictory to me bringing up the Square/Microsoft rumors: the “leakers” everyone follows (primarily Vergeben and Hitagi) are 100% hotheads and stopped clocks who know nothing about the DLC right now, possibly nothing about anything related to Smash leaks at this very moment. Don’t bother believing a word that comes out of their mouth, there’s a 90% chance they’ll say something to contradict it (and then complain about you for “misreporting what they say” when you point out their contradiction with proof on a YouTube video) within a week after saying what they originally said. They know nothing more than we, regular Smash players with NO insider information whatsoever, know. Mark my words.

The Squenix rumors have a list of characters that Lara isn't on, so if you're gonna subscribe to that you should probably subscribe to that as well too.
Also can I ask why you'd place Pip Boy over Dovahkiin?

Also, why do you count Geno and Steve out?

D

Deleted member

"characters you wouldn't expect to see in Smash" is nothing but PR talk. I refuse to read any arguments that use it as a base.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't you hate it when someone gets mad that you wanted to buy DLC for your favorite game of all time, and goes on a preaching session about how all DLC is supposedly evil and your ruining the gaming industry by buying it even thought it's your money, your rules?

Fun people.
Reminds me somewhat of my sister's boyfriend.

I think he might have loosened up in recent years, but he sure did dislike DLC when first became a thing. He was never so bold as to go so far as lecture me about buying DLC for stuff (he definitely thought buying the Dissidia DLC was a waste of money though, and let me know. :laugh:)

Also, before I go, slightly contradictory to me bringing up the Square/Microsoft rumors: the “leakers” everyone follows (primarily Vergeben and Hitagi) are 100% hotheads and stopped clocks who know nothing about the DLC right now, possibly nothing about anything related to Smash leaks at this very moment. Don’t bother believing a word that comes out of their mouth, there’s a 90% chance they’ll say something to contradict it (and then complain about you for “misreporting what they say” when you point out their contradiction with proof on a YouTube video) within a week after saying what they originally said. They know nothing more than we, regular Smash players with NO insider information whatsoever, know. Mark my words.

I want the Smash Devs to play mind games with us.

Like, the last DLC character is a character that is 100% obvious, but because all the previous DLC characters were unexpectable picks, we don't see it coming.

D

Deleted member

Reminds me somewhat of my sister's boyfriend.

I think he might have loosened up in recent years, but he sure did dislike DLC when first became a thing. He was never so bold as to go so far as lecture me about buying DLC for stuff (he definitely thought buying the Dissidia DLC was a waste of money though, and let me know. :laugh:)
Lol. Some people man. Some idiot on Discord got super pissed at the fact I wanted to buy DLC that Dante, Doomguy, and 2B for Smash Ultimate. He then went on a ramble about how all DLC is bad, because at his core, he thinks capitalism is bad, and anyone who buys DLC is ruining gaming.

In short, he's a *******.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

I know a character that can fit the definition of all four of those interpretations.

GITAROO MAN CONFIRMED!
gitaroo_man_5364.jpg

D

Deleted member

The Squenix rumors have a list of characters that Lara isn't on, so if you're gonna subscribe to that you should probably subscribe to that as well too.
Also can I ask why you'd place Pip Boy over Dovahkiin?

Also, why do you count Geno and Steve out?
I know about the list of the 7 Square reps, I just think that with Square’s history of keeping information on tight lockdown, we should all take a second to consider that maybe all 7 of the supposed potential reps are all false.

Dovahkiin is possible too, but I think that Bethesda would probably push for a Fallout rep if they were involved with Smash at all. Elder Scrolls doesn’t really need any more publicity as a whole, plus Pip Boy is hella recognizable all things considered. I’ve known dozens who don’t play games but recognize Pip Boy.

To me, Steve is out because Banjo and Master Chief would represent Microsoft and Smash way better. Geno is out because he is and always has been more of a Sakurai pick than a Nintendo pick. I still think Geno has life if there ends up being more DLC beyond the fighter’s pass, though. Just might take a couple more generations, as it did with Ridley and K. Rool.

"characters you wouldn't expect to see in Dmash" is nothing but PR talk. I refuse to read any arguments that use it as a base.
Fair point that I’d agree with 100% if we had any better information to grasp onto. Unfortunately, we don’t.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
64's a damn jam you take that back.

(On a side note how cool is it we FINALLY get the FD, Meta Crystal, menu, and Battlefield theme from Smash 64? Only took us three games!)
Don't forget the training mode song (albeit understandably heavily cut down since the original was like 15 minutes long...)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I know about the list of the 7 Square reps, I just think that with Square’s history of keeping information on tight lockdown, we should all take a second to consider that maybe all 7 of the supposed potential reps are all false.

Dovahkiin is possible too, but I think that Bethesda would probably push for a Fallout rep if they were involved with Smash at all. Elder Scrolls doesn’t really need any more publicity as a whole, plus Pip Boy is hella recognizable all things considered. I’ve known dozens who don’t play games but recognize Pip Boy.

To me, Steve is out because Banjo and Master Chief would represent Microsoft and Smash way better. Geno is out because he is and always has been more of a Sakurai pick than a Nintendo pick. I still think Geno has life if there ends up being more DLC beyond the fighter’s pass, though. Just might take a couple more generations, as it did with Ridley and K. Rool.

Fair point that I’d agree with 100% if we had any better information to grasp onto. Unfortunately, we don’t.
Except TES very much does need more publicity. It does have a game on the way, as well as a mobile game. It's not really a matter of "not needing" publicity. Also, Nintendo nor Sakurai will go for mascot picks with series from what we've seen-if they did we'd have Jack Frost. Sure Pip Boy could break this rule but having him over Dovahkiin seems silly to me-I'd wager just his helmet is as iconic as Pip Boy.
Reggie indicated Sakurai still holds a good deal of power when it comes to the DLC picks, and I don't see any evidence saying Nintendo wouldn't go for Geno. We can't really know if he is or isn't a Nintendo pick. I do appreciate how you hold him though, usually he's just dismissed with stuff like this.

LetterO

Smash Lord
So it's Doom's 25th anniversary. Bethesda is going to be "kicking off a year long celebration of all things DOOM." With that and Bethesda's buddy buddy relationship with Nintendo (especially Doom) as well as the fact that Doom is one of the old granddaddys of the FPS genre and certainly would be a big bombshell for a character...

Hey, I can hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom