• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

VA

Smash Hero
I didn't aim my post at pushing Alpha_Dash down. I'm just saying how I see it, fact is prof and others have said the same before. Reaching the pantheon of the UK means nothing anyway. But the fact is you just took about a million things out of my post that I didn't even say, my post wasn't even aimed specifically at AD.

I've motivated and got plenty of people involved with smash thanks j3ly. I've never been open to helping you cos you're the way you are. A crazy child. I was on a really slow computer yesterday and I was mid way through saying something and you told me to **** OFF and deleted me.

Try to grow up a little bit. I may have a terrible mental game in smash, but you can't hope to insult me with anything you say. I'm way past caring what other people think about me.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
lol I knew you'd stay aaron :)

i think we should really start traveling internationally and keep improving like crazy, start placing well on a worldwide scale and **** ^_^

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I didn't aim my post at pushing Alpha_Dash down. I'm just saying how I see it, fact is prof and others have said the same before. Reaching the pantheon of the UK means nothing anyway. But the fact is you just took about a million things out of my post that I didn't even say, my post wasn't even aimed specifically at AD.

I've motivated and got plenty of people involved with smash thanks j3ly. I've never been open to helping you cos you're the way you are. A crazy child. I was on a really slow computer yesterday and I was mid way through saying something and you told me to **** OFF and deleted me.

Try to grow up a little bit. I may have a terrible mental game in smash, but you can't hope to insult me with anything you say. I'm way past caring what other people think about me.
Fair enough, but your comment about AD came across more negative then positive towards him like you basically were saying he didn't have a chance since he already doesn't think he can be the best

looool What's this arguement about????

Jolteon - lol It's actually really hard to leave when you are having genuine fun with the people in the smash community lol, people like you have made be stay baby <3
Infact i'm actually going to Wiggum's house later 2day, just getting something to eat first and plus they said they wanted some falco practice....

I actually really enjoy nearly everyones company who I played with on a regular basis, so i'm not gonna quit anytime soon.

And I agree on the travelling internationally....definitely gonna start doing that soon.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace

i think we should really start traveling internationally and keep improving like crazy, start placing well on a worldwide scale and **** ^_^
yeh i was thinking to travel aswel but most probs France seeing as its clostest. let me know which european tournaments you're planning to go to and Il probably go depending on how much money I have and what my parents say lol

VA

Smash Hero

I just don't like how the UK obsesses with who is the best in the country.

I think we all need to travel more, together. It's a lot of what makes smash fun. I hated being alone in the US. Naturally I found it incredibly difficult to stay positive over 3 days facing people like cactus. I can't tell you how frustrating he is to play against.

I've never felt much solidarity for the UK except when I was in France with Fuzzy. I really wanted him to win. I've been called so much stuff by the community here (see j3ly). So I guess I don't really appreciate the way people think they are really good in the UK when the UK is just a few players and not really representative of how the world plays the game.

Anyway I'm mildly experienced in playing international players. But still I have almost no international experience. We all need lots more.

Jolteon

Fair enough, but your comment about AD came across more negative then positive towards him like you basically were saying he didn't have a chance since he already doesn't think he can be the best

looool What's this arguement about????

Jolteon - lol It's actually really hard to leave when you are having genuine fun with the people in the smash community lol, people like you have made be stay baby <3
Infact i'm actually going to Wiggum's house later 2day, just getting something to eat first and plus they said they wanted some falco practice....

I actually really enjoy nearly everyones company who I played with on a regular basis, so i'm not gonna quit anytime soon.

And I agree on the travelling internationally....definitely gonna start doing that soon.
<3 u2 bbz, I feel the same I enjoy the company of a lot of smashers I play with which is good because we can play loads and have fun. it's a lot easier to improve when you have fun I think because you're thinking positively which helps a lot when thinking of ways to improve and get around gay stuff

also what are you gonna say to your mum about traveling internationally lol, are you gonna tell her its for tournaments or just say you're traveling europe with friends?

yeh i was thinking to travel aswel but most probs France seeing as its clostest. let me know which european tournaments you're planning to go to and Il probably go depending on how much money I have and what my parents say lol
France is a good start, if we plan and book in advance I think we could get tickets really cheaply too which helps the money problem lol. :)

I think we all need to travel more, together. It's a lot of what makes smash fun. I hated being alone in the US. Naturally I found it incredibly difficult to stay positive over 3 days facing people like cactus. I can't tell you how frustrating he is to play against.

I've never felt much solidarity for the UK except when I was in France with Fuzzy. I really wanted him to win. I've been called so much stuff by the community here (see j3ly). So I guess I don't really appreciate the way people think they are really good in the UK when the UK is just a few players and not really representative of how the world plays the game.

Anyway I'm mildly experienced in playing international players. But still I have almost no international experience. We all need lots more.
Meh I do wanna be #1, but I don't wanna just be #1 in the UK or even Europe I wanna be #1 worldwide. For this, I think international experience is the key since there's so many strange playstyles out there that I have yet to experience and understand for myself. I think UK unity is important though, if we all help each other out and travel together we can all improve quicker I think.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

There's ridiculous amounts of solidarity withing the UK community though.....and it ranged from levels of players from the whole of the UK standing behind J3ly's matches and cheering him on, from my matches and to Kone and flipping Jam5 teaming, the UK were hardddcoreeee behind each other to the point where you could just feel teamwork vibe and how it must have been affecting the other team

I think it's pretty important to aim to be one of the best in the UK and getting people to want to be the best....I mean it's the place where we are most of the time and the people who we meet the most so it's the easiest option for people to want to prove that they are the best at and it nearly always brings healthy competiton except for trashtalk on the boards which usualy just ends up being forgetten lol.

I don't think anyone thinks that UK is representative of how the rest of the world plays......it's just the UK people aiming to be top in the UK.....and if we don't aim to be the best here then what's the point.....cos travelling to other events outside of the UK happens rarely.

Jolteon - I'll prob just say it's some friends thing lol....she would moan with me going international just to play a game lol.

Jolteon

There's ridiculous amounts of solidarity withing the UK community though.....and it ranged from levels of players from the whole of the UK standing behind J3ly's matches and cheering him on, from my matches and to Kone and flipping Jam5 teaming, the UK were hardddcoreeee behind each other to the point where you could just feel teamwork vibe and how it must have been affecting the other team

I think it's pretty important to aim to be one of the best in the UK and getting people to want to be the best....I mean it's the place where we are most of the time and the people who we meet the most so it's the easiest option for people to want to prove that they are the best at and it nearly always brings healthy competiton except for trashtalk on the boards which usualy just ends up being forgetten lol.

I don't think anyone thinks that UK is representative of how the rest of the world plays......it's just the UK people aiming to be top in the UK.....and if we don't aim to be the best here then what's the point.....cos travelling to other events outside of the UK happens rarely.

Jolteon - I'll prob just say it's some friends thing lol....she would moan with me going international just to play a game lol.
lol I'm sure she'd catch on eventually though

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
That's a really weak argument. We should try to be the best in the UK cos it's the easiest thing to do? You and I are examples of how unprepared just playing the UK leaves you. My point is that if people care about being the best, which a lot of us do, we should forget about trying to be the best in the UK so much and focus on getting out there and playing in Europe and the US. You guys in London all do great stuff for helping players get better. But we need to be better prepared for Europe and eventually the US.

I know there is a lot of solidarity in the UK, I've witnessed it. Just never felt it myself. I watch Swizzy play and CG people and I feel proud. I feel actual pride watching some UK players do well. I don't think anyone has the same thing with me, I've always felt like the outsider. I'm not from London and for the longest time I've had people telling me I suck. It's only turned around recently. Throughout my time I have tried to help a lot of people get better and I've tried to involve anyone I possibly could in the game. I do want us to be good. After Paris there I desperately wanted the UK to **** Europe.

I always mangage to rub people up the wrong way, I'm not good online xD
It's not really weak though, for the majority of the time we are in the UK playing UK people, attending UK smashfests and UK tournaments....i'm not saying that being top in the UK is the ONLY aim that people should go far but to act like it should be disregarded and no-one should focus on being top in the UK when nearly every moment we are training in the UK and nearly every event we attend is in the UK it would be silly to say 'Don't aim to be top in the UK'

People do still need to go international as I want to be one of the top Europeans and need to play other people but in reality the majortiy of people cannot do this often....maybe like once every 2/3 months,...so what's the substitute to do this while we can't go international.....aim to be the top in the UK, pretty obvious imo.

If we honestly forgot about trying to be the best in the UK as a community......where would we be....where would the rivalry be withing our community.....where would the hype and the interest of who's gonna do what at the next event....it would just be boring until we go and play at an international tournament......everyone usually strives to be the best or one of the best where they are from before they start thinking of being the best in Europe and US

j3ly

Smash Champion
va you said 'you hate hearing me talk'

never speak to me ever agian. 2 faced bull****ting biaaatchhhhh wtf!! u cant talk to people like that!! ever. i dont care how close to a ****** you have, dont come to me and say 'yo' asif we are cool and then move onto 'i hate hearing you talk.'

i congratulated you on beating JD, then i mentioned I beat him, there was some confusion as to who was the best falco there. we agreed on Faab, not JD, then u said i hate hearing you talk. at this point i typed **** YOU and deleted you, because why the **** would i want someone like that on my friends list?

in seriously piassed off... i would really appreciate an apologie because in real life thats the kinda situation which would boil down to a fist fight.. its a london ting.

i dont want to hate you, but frankly we arnt communicating ever again unless you apologise for what you said. it was childish.

ps i may be a wild child lmao, at least i am not a transgender!

Retroking2000

Smash Master
people be aiming to be top of there country its the only way you would be on the way to becoming a pro player

what VA is trying to say is becoming the best and completely forgetting about the other styles out there . the euro and us style is so different and in that the uk style is different from the swedish / dutch

the benchmark for being even good is going to the US and placing high

players wanting to become the best shouldnt forget that. if you dont you will never become the best simply put as that

the uk got beat simply cause fuzzy was the only one who knew how to play reserved to their style/

we are all aggressive cause of fuzzy adopting that style on us.

the Europeans really play tourney efficient i was so surprised at armada i would have thought he would be better as in more aggressive but inst really.

i was used to play more aggressive peach play usually how fuzz plays vs me

You will naturally change your style
the more people you play
It will change to be able to deal with all the new things you learn

one thing i can say though the Uk is the most technical players from europe

Jolteon

Charles learned to play a lot more patiently at SNY, because he had experienced that campy playstyle beforehand and figured out how to beat it. All of the uk should follow suit I think.

j3ly

Smash Champion
if everyone starts being ridiculously campy thats probably the last you will see from tesco crew. tournament games are a-ok, but if every friendly lasts 6 mins i am str8 up quitting lol. the friends i made from smash have merged into my standard group of friends anyway, so i have no problem turning my back if there is no fun left to be had.

ill miss leaving the venue with a 10er in 50ps and £1s though

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
My aim was to be top10 UK by the end of the year (unrealistic I know), but I have improved A LOT since my first London tourney this year. I will be a top player by the end of next year though =]

Jolteon

if everyone starts being ridiculously campy thats probably the last you will see from tesco crew. tournament games are a-ok, but if every friendly lasts 6 mins i am str8 up quitting lol. the friends i made from smash have merged into my standard group of friends anyway, so i have no problem turning my back if there is no fun left to be had.

ill miss leaving the venue with a 10er in 50ps and £1s though
well we obviously mean tournament games. fact is in a serious situation melee is just as campy as brawl is but it's cloaked up by the punish game.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
@ retroking agreed about UK being the most aggressive and technical lol

I think UK players have more fun when they play melee
while Europeans think of it as a win or lose thing.

j3ly

Smash Champion
its not unrealistic because i did it with mario :p

switch up from c-falcon, do ur research and watch ur games. become a pillar of game faqs online falcon community or something and you'll be amazed how quickly u improve.

j3ly

Smash Champion
well we obviously mean tournament games. fact is in a serious situation melee is just as campy as brawl is but it's cloaked up by the punish game.
obviously we are discounting yourself and tamoo when u say obviously only tournament games? lol??

like when prof took our friendly for a MM. because it was like 15 mins long.

J03

Smash Master
beating campers is essential. Its actually real easy too, but its a whole aspect of the game that yall have very little exp with, level 0 obv. I got the same place as pro because i knew how to counter camp (tamoo) and how to camp (j3ly)

easy bish lads

Jolteon

obviously we are discounting yourself and tamoo when u say obviously only tournament games? lol??

like when prof took our friendly for a MM. because it was like 15 mins long.
i actually play a lot campier in tournament than that lol

@Joe: beating an effective camper is never easy. look at all the top players for their respective chars, how many of them approach?

j3ly

Smash Champion
ive never camped anybody except gantz in our first tournament games.

its annoying, but such a minor. ive used this analogy before, but i remeber when i thought edwins fair was unbeatable. turns out had i not had that practise, i wouldent have made it through pools so its all good. same applies to campy shieks - its all a learning curve that you have to face someday. fortunatly shiek is so comboable and so killable so its a matter of foacking the crap outta her off every hit (just like a fair and nair spamming marth)

i just find it annoying when people lawlessly copy other peoples tactics. its an indicator that they will never be the best.

j3ly

Smash Champion
jolt ive played you in tournament remeber lol. you even lied and pretended that you wernt aware our first set was a tournament set... despite having a whole conversation over which stages were allowed!! had i known how desperate to win you were there is no chance in hell i would have allowed you a rematch.

ive also seen you play in tournament, you are not that much campier. you just plank, thats it. you already NEVER approach ever, so all that is left to do is plank :lick:

Jolteon

ive never camped anybody except gantz in our first tournament games.

its annoying, but such a minor. ive used this analogy before, but i remeber when i thought edwins fair was unbeatable. turns out had i not had that practise, i wouldent have made it through pools so its all good. same applies to campy shieks - its all a learning curve that you have to face someday. fortunatly shiek is so comboable and so killable so its a matter of foacking the crap outta her off every hit (just like a fair and nair spamming marth)

i just find it annoying when people lawlessly copy other peoples tactics. its an indicator that they will never be the best.
i agree with you on the last point, but the top players are proof of what our current metagame is like. how can you say beating campers is "real easy" when all the top players camp and win?

jolt ive played you in tournament remeber lol. you even lied and pretended that you wernt aware our first set was a tournament set... despite having a whole conversation over which stages were allowed!! had i known how desperate to win you were there is no chance in hell i would have allowed you a rematch.

ive also seen you play in tournament, you are not that much campier. you just plank, thats it. you already NEVER approach ever, so all that is left to do is plank :lick:
i actually didnt lie but believe w/e you want, I do appreciate you believing me prior to this though since its really annoying when people don't. I thought it was weird that you were talking about stages but I didn't pay much attention to it since i've had a few "seriouslies" with prof & co before with the same format. do you think I would have ever allowed you to go to FD if I knew it was a tournament set?

i do approach more in friendlies than i do in tournament, people just think i never approach in friendlies because of how my character plays, same with tamoo.

j3ly

Smash Champion
never said those words lol

the only effective ways to beat camping are to combo them to death every chance you get (pro) or just go falco and camp MUCH MUCH more lawlessly lol (copout)

go falco and you reduce your chances of being a truly epic player down the line.
combo the crap outta them and become an amazing player down the line.

Jolteon

never said those words lol
I know, joe did. :)

read my edit lol

/e ok your edit doesn't make sense.

what if someone with a punish game just as good as yours camps? they will win, it's a fact that this is what the current metagame is like.

also falco has one of the easiest times approaching and comboing anyone camping, so he can easily fit into your pro category.

Kone

Smash Master
i agree with you on the last point, but the top players are proof of what our current metagame is like. how can you say beating campers is "real easy" when all the top players camp and win?
Saying as there is alot of activity ATM I wouldn't mind some sny feedback guys. Be tactful though it was a helluva lot of work. I shall be hosting a second though.

Uk has best euro community.

Ps France isn't cheap to travel to as it's so close. Iam 25 soon though so can hire a minibus in time for next tsl or ESA!major uk roadtrip anyone?!

Jolteon

Saying as there is alot of activity ATM I wouldn't mind some any feedback guys. Be tactful though it was a helluva lot of work. I shall be hosting a second though.

Uk has best euro community.

Ps France isn't cheap to travel to as it's so close. Iam 25 soon though so can hire a minibus in time for next tsl or ESA!major uk roadtrip anyone?!
I'm confused, did you mean to write that it is cheap to travel to or it isn't?

I would be interested in a minibus trip, we really need to step it up on an international level.

j3ly

Smash Champion
me ace and unreal would have liked to sleep on the beds that we payed for. i asked fuzzyness to fix it but in effect he said foak off lol. i didnt wanna ask you because i knew you would sort it out, but did not have the time for it. we could have atleast gotten a 5er off the tournament fee, or free teams, a request that was promptly told to foac off. it pissed me off. i have a genetically crippled back and will be in a wheelchair in later life. i had to sleep on the floor while some comfy euro hugs his toy in my bed. ps the floor & sofas WAS SOAKING WET. honestly though this is my only complaint, urmmmm pool tables would have been nice?

i would attend this international road trip for sure. joanna dark could house anyone that wanted housing, too.

a map of the local area should be laminated and stuck onto every door. thats a nice idea.
the walk was about 28 mins not 42 mins as google maps told you.

thats literally it. btw u and kate look adorable together, both legs crossed, always holding cups of tea. made me lol on several occasions.

jolt i was saying that copping out isnt good in the long run. lets say i go fox/falco/shiek every time someone tries to camp me. does that actually fix the problem? or just provide a temporary fix - the latter. i forgot why i even brought this up now, lol

AmcD

Smash Ace
beating campers is essential. Its actually real easy too, but its a whole aspect of the game that yall have very little exp with, level 0 obv. I got the same place as pro because i knew how to counter camp (tamoo) and how to camp (j3ly)

easy bish lads
and you have had to play me and will who are defensive as hell!

Jolteon

me ace and unreal would have liked to sleep on the beds that we payed for. i asked fuzzyness to fix it but in effect he said foak off lol. i didnt wanna ask you because i knew you would sort it out, but did not have the time for it. we could have atleast gotten a 5er off the tournament fee, or free teams, a request that was promptly told to foac off. it pissed me off. i have a genetically crippled back and will be in a wheelchair in later life. i had to sleep on the floor while some comfy euro hugs his toy in my bed. ps the floor & sofas WAS SOAKING WET. honestly though this is my only complaint, urmmmm pool tables would have been nice?

i would attend this international road trip for sure. joanna dark could house anyone that wanted housing, too.

a map of the local area should be laminated and stuck onto every door. thats a nice idea.
the walk was about 28 mins not 42 mins as google maps told you.

thats literally it. btw u and kate look adorable together, both legs crossed, always holding cups of tea. made me lol on several occasions.

jolt i was saying that copping out isnt good in the long run. lets say i go fox/falco/shiek every time someone tries to camp me. does that actually fix the problem? or just provide a temporary fix - the latter. i forgot why i even brought this up now, lol
that makes sense. i agree with you, but i think swapping chars to cop out regardless is dumb unless you are at a low level, it never pays off no matter what the situation (unless the matchup is something ridiculous)

Kone

Smash Master
Adam i'm gutted that you didn't get your bed. I know this won't be an issue next year as I know venue layout and will have rooms pre determined. You are right I wouldve sorted you out,next time please say! Lounge was damp as ****, next time I'll offer kilos lol!!!!

Pool rooms ceiling had collapsed so we couldn't use it.

Ps thanks for me and Kate comment if it weren't sarcasm ;)

X1-12

Smash Champion
Kone: as I already mentioned an incentive for people to bring TVs also would be good. also the sleeping plan would sort out those problems. The food was a very nice idea but maybe you should step it up to £2 which is still dirt cheap, but be able to get maybe slightly bigger or better quality portions. Stupid though it may sound I sorta suggest you get a big hat that says 'KONE' on it or something for new, or EU players that don't know you. so you can be recognised easier. I know at my first tournaments I had no idea who the person running them looked like or who to talk to with anything. Tournament running wise I think it should be mentioned before hand rule about getting DQed if you don't play your matches, meaning Fuzz doesn't have to chase everyone

Things I think that went well this year were the beds (mostly) unbelievably good organisation before the event like new thread about set-ups, posting everywhere directions to the venue etc, even offering people lifts. and generally it was a good venue and well run tournament. Also the fact you were almost always smiling helps, when I asked you for some games but you were too tired you looked like you felt so bad/guilty even though you'd just organised a massive international tourney for us. I think your attitude towards everyone was great =]

Jolteon

we should use the mage's dq rule, use a better stage list and get a PA system. those would be my suggestions

Tamoo

Smash Master
i do approach more in friendlies than i do in tournament, people just think i never approach in friendlies because of how my character plays, same with tamoo.
Soooooo true,

In fact, joe, in our set, I didn't camp at all lol, my whole game was just trying to shut out your camping game by leaving an arial out where you would try to jump to get away :/

Also prof doesn't think i can become a top player :(

j3ly

Smash Champion
but to be honest, neither do we :p

only kidding. you are both very incorrect about jiggly... she is the most campable char in the game. why? air speed.... the logical next step is for a jigglypuff to be very offensive and really really good at pressuring peoples movement and shield. this is how hungrybox and mango and fuzzyness all play their amazing jigglys. constant pressure, attack and confusion. all i am doing here is regurgitating the words of a player far superior to all of us, so dont even try saying im incorrect. btw my very very offensive and confusing jiggs is amaaaaazing lmaoroflol. i know the main thing with comboing with jiggs, and tamao ive neeeeever seen you try to do it. ur combos include mainly bair bair bair fair and nair fsmash/dash attack

bair bair bair bair bair bair bair fair fair fair fair fair and a FH hbox neutral if both hit is not a suitable method to play jiggs

no comment for shiek, when i play shiek all i do is forward momentum backwards SH. for the added confusion. seems like if ur doing nothing, you can get a fair out much quicker. same with bair. i also really like doing it with uair, cos its just sooooo **** sexy camping someone with a move with no range

j3ly

Smash Champion
no i meant like when i play the character shiek. i dont think empty backwards hopping would be much good against shiek :p

Jolteon

only kidding. you are both very incorrect about jiggly... she is the most campable char in the game. why? air speed.... the logical next step is for a jigglypuff to be very offensive and really really good at pressuring peoples movement and shield. this is how hungrybox and mango and fuzzyness all play their amazing jigglys. constant pressure, attack and confusion. all i am doing here is regurgitating the words of a player far superior to all of us, so dont even try saying im incorrect. btw my very very offensive and confusing jiggs is amaaaaazing lmaoroflol. i know the main thing with comboing with jiggs, and tamao ive neeeeever seen you try to do it. ur combos include mainly bair bair bair fair and nair fsmash/dash attack

bair bair bair bair bair bair bair fair fair fair fair fair and a FH hbox neutral if both hit is not a suitable method to play jiggs

no comment for shiek, when i play shiek all i do is forward momentum backwards SH. for the added confusion. seems like if ur doing nothing, you can get a fair out much quicker. same with bair. i also really like doing it with uair, cos its just sooooo **** sexy camping someone with a move with no range
sheik's a character that is combo'd easily, edgeguarded easily and cc'd easily, and her aerial mobility prevents her zoning from being broken, meaning if you want to go aggro you need to rely on grabs an awful lot which is risky to say the least.

Tamoo

Smash Master

I really don't get your point. What is an amazing jiggs? One that is effective or one that is flashy and easy on the eye? Cos I think we have differing opinions on this. I like the hbox tried and trusted method of arialing the **** out of the opponent.

And pleeeeeease tell me the main thing with comboing with jiggs if you know it, cos i obv don't and would like pro jiggs tips from top players like yourself.

Good luck with your offensive jiggs against ppl who are playing to win, not friendlies

Top Bottom