• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Once a Kutthroat, always a kutthroat...

But I was a Space Pirate first...

Final: Riddles

Battle for 3rd: Decidueye

Man, what a great showing. Congrats to both the finalists - both of you deserve to be in hands down.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, the final showdown! I'm guessing Ridley's going to win, but K. Rool could be a tough contender. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Championship Game: 1. King K. Rool
He feels like a better fit for Smash to me. As someone who isn't pushing for either of them, I'm just looking at who I think would be a better fit for Smash, and I believe that title goes to K. Rool!

Consolation Game: 1. Decidueye
I just like Decidueye more than Dixie Kong :p I think Decidueye would also have a more unique moveset than Dixie.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Championship: King K. Rool
Consolation: Dixie Kong

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Here we go, what a matchup!

Champion: King K. Rool

Wanted him since Melee, DK is my favorite franchise and K. Rool just oozes personality!

Consolidation: Dixie Kong

I just love the DKC games so much and Dixie is a String companion of mine ever since i was a kid.

Championship:

King K. Rool

Wouldn't mind Ridley at all, but K.Rool is one of my most wanted characters.

It would be fitting for Dixie to finish 3rd, considering she's well known as the third wheel of the franchise :p

Not a big Pokemon fan past Gen 3, but Decidueye from what I've seen has real potential and an interesting potential moveset.

I just love DKC that little bit more.

Regardless, all four are highly regarded/requested, are great characters in their own right and would bring something different to the Smash table.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Top Dog: Ridley
Both are deserving characters whom I like a lot, I just have a small preference towards Ridley.

Consolation Prize: Dixie Kong
Not even close for me. Decidueye is nice, but Dixie is a need imo.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Championship: Ridley

Both Ridley and K.Rool 999% deserve to be playable, and have been due for 20 odd years. The results will probably be in favour of K.Rool, but I will pick Ridley because I prefer him and he's more deserving.

D

Deleted member

Boy, the championship round is hard as I support both (I don't call myself a "kutthroat" though because I have a disdain for part of the K. Rool fanbase, and I'm not as supportive of Ridley so I don't call myself a "space pirate" either), so I flipped a coin.
Championship round: King K. Rool
Yeah.

Consolation round: Decidueye
My most wanted character vs a character I lowkey want but can do without. Absolutely no contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
"Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence."

I want to see how he'd do this. Apparently, it's quite complicated.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pretty much the best imaginable final we could have gotten, either character will be deserving of the crown, but I'm a Ridley man through and through.

I feel like over the long term Dixie would be a better addition, Decidueye is still a bit too much flavor of the generation for me.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's the thing. Even if K. Rool doesn't get in, he has three other relevant and somewhat iconic characters that could take his place as the next DK newcomer (Dixie, Cranky, Funky). So what consolation character does Metroid and Ridley have to fall back on? The extremely outdated Dark Samus? The mysterious Sylux who probably won't even be considered by Sakurai until Prime 4 gets an official announcement/release?

We need a Metroid newcomer, and after everything the guy's been through, Ridley definitely deserves that spot more.

I actually prefer Dixie over K. Rool. Decidueye would be cool, but the Gen VII Pokemon I REALLY want to see in Smash is Lycanroc.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ridley, Decidueye.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Pretty close so far, as expected.

Well for me,
Ridley for Championship.
He's my number one wanted since Brawl, no surprise here. I could go on about how I honestly think he deserves it more but nah.

For consolation I'm picking Decideueye.
Dixie absolutely deserves it more, more than King K. Rool as the next DK rep, but I really want a playable ghost Pokemon :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Both the DKC characters get the vote from me.

Reasoning below.

King K.Rool for Championship because? He's got genuine support, is far more realisable as a fighter, is one of the most unique concepts of a character, has ever lasting popularity despite his very last entry being in a Mario Sport game... It's not hard to see why I choose him. The Kremling Campain, the fact we got a Mii Costume out of ballot popularity, King K.Rool getting a reference in a Mario game on a street sign... It should all be clear as water that King K.Rool is the obvious choice here.

Ridley has been overhyped ever since the Melee trailer. But guess what, more characters that where not playable in Melee where in the Melee intro trailer :rolleyes: Sakurai has shot the idea down, and you've all been lucky with consistant Metroid appearances where Ridley appears in, so with all things considered... Please step aside.

Dixie Kong also gets my vote over Decidueye. And why? I feel like Decidueye support is heavily forced mostly because he's a new and recent Grass Type starter. His design doesn't stand out too much from the rest, and Incineroar boasts similar popularity whilst not being HALF as forced. Next Grass Type starter of Generation 8 is gonna make people forget about Decidueye within a second.

Dixie has been the star of the last game of the legendary DKC SNES titles. She's one of Nintendo's first playable female heroes, is from a franchise that desperately needs more playable characters. And it SHOULD get more playable characters, because the DKC cast has lots to offer with them. Dixie with her hair grabs and Helicopter Spin makes more than enough for a playable character suited for Smash Bros., and you all know it. At worst she would be a semi-clone, but guess what? Her Helicopter Spin ability alone makes her worthy for inclusion, then there's the hair grabs... She would easily be as unique as Wolf was / is to Fox without even trying much.

Yes both DKC newcomers are big enough names to warrant them being included both. Dixie Kong has recency on her side and is a much beloved main character, and King K.Rool has massive popularity to boot and is in dire need of a new appearance. Decidueye will be forgotten, and Ridley won't EVER be forgotten Smash or not, and is pretty much guranteed for a Boss style appearance anyway.

Nobody can convince me otherwise. This is what must happen.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
It looks like my choices are narrowly losing? It’s time to tip the scales!

Championship: King K. Rool

Both are very deserving and iconic, so that doesn’t play a role. What it comes down to is that I think K. Rool would play better. He’s got plenty of moveset potential to draw from to make him unique. While I don’t think Ridley is “Too Big”, I do think there is a higher risk of him not turning out very well, with the possibility of a mediocre moveset and an awkwardly scaled model. K. Rool’s personality and his kostumes also just feel more right for Smash. Don’t get me wrong, I want Ridley in for sure, but this is an easy (albeit painful) choice.

Consolation: Decidueye

Ok, this is a hard one. Really hard. Dixie Kong is definitely more iconic and deserving. I’ll probably still support her if she doesn’t get into this game, while my support for Decidueye would probably fade.
However, that might be the very reason I have to take Decidueye here. This is probably his one chance. I don’t think any Pokémon is ever going to be as deserving as Dixie or be relevant for more than one game. Does that mean we should never add Pokémon? Certainly not! When we do add them, though, I want them to be good choices, and Decidueye is a great one. Sure, maybe some people just support Decidueye because “new Grass starter.” However, I genuinely think he has a cool design and would be great to play as (probably more so than Dixie), and this is his one shot. He has some drawbacks, but I don't need Dixie that badly to overcome them. Maybe it's that I want K. Rool more, and it feels wrong to pick both DKC characters. I don't know, but he just seems like the right pick this time.

Really, though, both of these are turning out to be great matchups. I’m excited to see how it ends.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
And in the shock of the century. K. Rool and RIdley are the finalists.

Championship Game: King K. Rool vs Ridley
Baron Kaptain Krusha King K. Roolenstein

This may actually be the easiest choice in the whole entire tournament. while I am not desperate for K. Rool in smash, I am far more familiar with him than Ridley, and have many fond memories of DKC so he gets my vote easily.

Consolation Game: Dixie Kong vs Decidueye
Decidueye

I was all prepared to go Dixie Kong. She's a great and deserving choice, and possibly in my top 10 wants. but reading through the comments people have made and in particular Nimbostratus' I realized, Decidueye is a flavor of the month character. but he's one that i like. and as soon as Gen 8 comes out, he'll be forgotten as most smash fans move on to the next generation to look for potential newcomers. Decidueye is a genuinely good choice for his potential. but if he doesn't get in now. he never will. no Pokemon besides Pikachu really has the staying power to stick around on people's minds after their Generation is replaced. sure, Gen 8 might have an even more interesting Grass Starter, or just a more interesting Pokemon in general. but Decidueye is still a cool Pokemon and he deserves his shot at being a smasher.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is gonna be grueling for Nimbostratus Nimbostratus to count I am sure of it. By the looks of it so far the Kremling King and the Cunning God of Death are formidable foes.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Championship: Ridley.

I like K. Rool and would love him as a new DK rep, but, I am a Metroid fan through an through.

Runner up: I hate both of these characters, so I'll abstain.

Last edited:

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
i feel like i'm in such a minority when i say "i don't really care about either of the winners"

but i'll pick k. rool though

of course i'll pick decidueye for the losers round

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

Championship Game: K. Rool

Heavyweight, villain, and most importantly, another Donkey Kong representative. . . Been wanting this animal since Melee.

Consolation Game: Dixie Kong

Female, and most importantly. . . Another Donkey Kong representative (ha ha). The thing is, while I actually love Decidueye, I know Pokemon are going to get their licks in SSBV for a fact, whereas the Donkey Kong series. . . I really don't know, so I'm pulling for the two characters that I feel have the best shot strongly.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Consolation: Dixie

This time the reasons are simple, I just prefer those characters and the series they come from (Metroid vs DK -> Metroid; DK vs Pokèmon -> DK).

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Championship Game: King K. Rool

Said it before but I'll say it again. No contest because Ridley is literally impossible to implement as a playable character; maintaining both balance and faithful representation of Ridley(his enormous size) cannot be done by Sakurai. He is too big.

King K Rool also is near Ridley levels in terms of an interesting classic villain, despite the fact it would be pretty cool to play as Ridley.

Consolation Game: Decidueye

I want Decidueye more as a fighter and think he will be overall more interesting so I picked him. Dixie probably takes precedent over him in a sense, but is less "unique."

Shock3600

Smash Rookie
Not entirely sure if I can just jump in and vote but if I can, K. Rool and Trixie! I feel DK really needs more people in and although I feel the same about Metroid, I have too hard of a time seeing Ridley in

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Championship: Ridley (This was tough, but I feel that Ridley's absence is slightly more peculiar than K. Rool's.)

Consolation: Dixie Kong (I have no interest in the Gen VII Pokemon as fighters.)

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
K. Rool vs. Ridley is ridiculously tough
I think I'm gonna go K. Rool for that moveset potential with the blunderbuss as well as nostalgia
also Decidueye would be way more unique than Dixie
not that Dixie would be completely similar to Diddy, but there would be similarities
honestly I wish they would have just been like the Ice Climbers from the start
so
Championship: K. Rool
Consolation: Decidueye

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'd like to end the round and reveal the results soon, but...

Based on my current calculations, one of these games is a TIE, and the other is separated by ONE VOTE.

I'm going to extend this until noon tomorrow in hopes of getting more votes to break the tie. If not, I might have to make an external poll or something to get the lurkers involved. I don't know.

If you haven't done so, please vote, vote, vote!

Top Bottom