• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge (Third-Party)- Game Over; Results Posted

How Often Should Each Round Last?

• 1 Day

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Whenever OP feels the votes slow down

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Don't care; how it is being handled is fine

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could people not post running results in the middle of the round?

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Game 1: King K. Rool
Game 2: Takamaru
Game 3: Decidueye
Game 4: Rex & Pyra
Game 5: Ridley
Game 6: Isaac
Game 7: Geno
Game 8: Dixie Kong

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Game 1: K.rool (I'm in the small group of people aren't screaming for another Zelda newcomer)
Game 2: Captain Toad (No experience with Takumaru or his game)
Game 3: Chibi-Robo (He desperately needs this)
Game 4: Waluigi (Unironically a better character than Rex and Pyra in every way)
Game 5: Andy (Nothing against Rids, but bringing back a dead franchise just seems more important to me)
Game 6: Isaac (No interest in ARMS, sorry)
Game 7: Bandana Dee (Been wanting him for about 5 years now)
Game 8: Dixie Kong (Not really interested in more WarioWare characters)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most Wanted Round 3.png

This is where I actively end up against the Smashboards grain for the most part...but honestly if the ones I'm voting for this round got in as newcomers into 5mash, this would probably be my favourite set of newcomers yet.

If by some miracle K. Rool, Takamaru, Ashley and Geno are all defeated my top four are going to be head to heading with one another next round which would cause some issues for me...won't happen though. RIP Impa.

Impa quickly became my favourite Legend of Zelda character in Hyrule Warriors, but she's going to get destroyed this round.
Captain Toad is my most wanted of all time, the very definition of an all star character being instantly recognised by the entire world, but everyone is very in love with Takamaru as the must have retro rep so I'm sweating bullets over here.
Chibi-Robo is my preference here. Between the 'shoo-in' Pokemon chosen for relevancy sake and to fulfill some sort of weird starter trio quota I'd far rather see Chibi-Robo's series get some love. Poor little fella has been mostly ignored.
Waluigi is still sort of going against the grain. Whilst insanely popular in his own right, between him and Rex I know which people are more likely to predict.
Andy over Ridley. Smashboards darling does actually deserve some love, but Advance Wars has gotten nothing. At least Ridley can still kill fighters with his boss stages.
Isaac before Springman. Not sure who's more popular here(probably Isaac) but there's no denying his moveset potential.
Bandana Dee. Between him and a one time party member from a Mario RPG 22 years ago, even if he wasn't in my top four I'd be voting him. I just don't 'get' the Geno hype even as a Mario fan. What makes him more special than his fellow party member Mallow or future party members Goombella, Vivian, Koops, Lady Bow, etc? Maybe if he returns to the Marioverse via spinoffs or cameos I'll soften to him, but right now...
Dixie Kong. Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm with the more vocal side of Smashboards here, but Dixie Kong starred in her own DKC game. Ashley is similar to Geno in that I don't get the hype around her over her fellow WarioWare crew.

D

Deleted member

I will never get why people vote for who they think is more "deserving" rather than who they actually want.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Game 1: Impa
Game 7: Bandana Dee

SonicMario

Smash Master
Game 2: Captain Toad
Game 4: Waluigi

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
  1. K. Rool. Hurts to lose a Zelda character, but the Kroc is King
  2. Takamaru.
  3. Decidueye.
  4. Waluigi.
  5. Ridley. No contest. Ridley is the biggest name not yet playable.
  6. Spring Man.
  7. ugh...neither. Dee if I have to, but not a huge fan of either.
  8. Ashley

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Game 3: Chibi-Robo

3 and 5 were really tough, sorry Decidueye and Andy :/

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: 1. King K. Rool
Game 2: 2. Takamaru
Game 3: 1. Decidueye
Game 4: 3. Rex & Pyra
Game 5: 4. Andy
Game 6: 2. Isaac
Game 7: 4. Geno
Game 8: 6. Ashley

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I will never get why people vote for who they think is more "deserving" rather than who they actually want.
For me, personally, it’s got to do with the fact that, as I see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo’s history, if I don’t think a character deserves to be in I don’t want them in.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Game 3: 4. Chibi-Robo
Game 7: 4. Geno
Game 8: 2. Dixie Kong

D

Deleted member

For me, personally, it’s got to do with the fact that, as I see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo’s history, if I don’t think a character deserves to be in I don’t want them in.
Eh, to each their own I suppose.
I'd much rather see a character I genuinely like than some old legacy character I wouldn't have even heard of if it wasn't for Smash. I guess we view Smash very differently.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Game 5: Andy

Man it's going to be a tough battle for Andy lol. Here's hoping he pulls through!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Same legend as last time:

Strong preference
Notable preference

Small preference
Hesitated which one to choose (none in this case)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see a lot of votes for Andy so I'm genuinely starting to get concerned for the big boi.

Man it's going to be a tough battle for Andy lol. Here's hoping he pulls through!
...And then your top 2 face each other in a duel to the death.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Eh, to each their own I suppose.
I'd much rather see a character I genuinely like than some old legacy character I wouldn't have even heard of if it wasn't for Smash. I guess we view Smash very differently.
I hate to sound biased and all (lets be honest i'm going to come across that way no matter what lol) but Andy is more than just a Legacy character in that he represents Nintendo's longest running franchise (Famicom/Advance Wars) that has yet to be playable in Smash. I wouldn't group him in with the retro's or even the modern retro's from the Gamecube/Wii era. I also view the whole "I never heard of this character" as a poor argument because I could say the same things about a lot of characters in the roster. Once a casual fan see's what a character can bring to the table, whether or not they knew about him/her beforehand is irrelevant
...And then your top 2 face each other in a duel to the death.
Yeah lol. It's going to be a tough pill to swallow if Andy and Isaac are pitted against each other.

That is of course granted he's able to put away the big purple dragon here.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Game 1: Impa (this looks like the end of the road but I'll keep fighting for ya till the end T.T)
Game 6: Spring Man

D

Deleted member

I hate to sound biased and all (lets be honest i'm going to come across that way no matter what lol) but Andy is more than just a Legacy character in that he represents Nintendo's longest running franchise (Famicom/Advance Wars) that has yet to be playable in Smash. I wouldn't group him in with the retro's or even the modern retro's from the Gamecube/Wii era. I also view the whole "I never heard of this character" as a poor argument because I could say the same things about a lot of characters in the roster. Once a casual fan see's what a character can bring to the table, whether or not they knew about him/her beforehand is irrelevant
I wasn't talking specifically about this case since most people who vote for Andy are people who genuinely want him.
The "I never heard of this character" argument is definetly a valid argument in my opinion, because personally I need to know the character personally to understand the appeal.
If the character interests me enough I might go check out their games, but if they don't I'm just gonna vote for the one I'm more familiar with.

That is of course granted he's able to put away the big purple dragon here.
Let's not forget that Isaac might not win the fight against Spring "Relevant" Man.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Game 1: 4. Impa (this one was super hard for me. I'm certain Impa will lose this one, but she is easily my most wanted LoZ character. I really want both though.)
Game 6: 2. Isaac (So help me, if Isaac loses to spring man here...)
Game 7: 1. Bandana Dee

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wasn't talking specifically about this case since most people who vote for Andy are people who genuinely want him.
The "I never heard of this character" argument is definetly a valid argument in my opinion, because personally I need to know the character personally to understand the appeal.
If the character interests me enough I might go check out their games, but if they don't I'm just gonna vote for the one I'm more familiar with.
It's not really when you have plenty of casual fans who have no idea who :4robinm:/:4shulk:were in Smash (and I guess you can count :marthmelee:/:roymelee: in Melee as well) but still liked the character inclusions regardless after seeing what they had to bring in Smash.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread. If you want to continue the convo then PM me.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
There’s no requirement to make a pick for all of the games, so don’t feel like you must flip a coin if you genuinely don’t have an opinion either way. That will probably keep the data more accurate to actual opinions, too.
Coolio.

Losing a Zelda newcomer hurts, but you just can't stop the croc.

Game 2: 3. Captain Toad
Toad has always been my go-to guy in the early Mario Kart games, so he's always had a place in my heart. I know next to nothing about Takamaru, aside from how he has a cool design. Toad has to take it here.

Big fan of Decidueye's design and what he brings to the table. He's both an archer and a bird, being character archetypes in Smash we don't have yet. (Link and Pit use bows, but they are not archery based characters. Falco is a bird, but he does not play like one. He plays like a fox.) Not very interested in the Chibi-Robo series, and I feel like one robot is good enough for now.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a phenomenal game, and I feel like these two could bring a lot to the table. Even though I like Waluigi, I want him in Smash for the sake of being able to say, "I can't believe we have goddamn Waluigi in Super Smash Brothers," not really him as a character.

Game 5: 1. Ridley
This was honestly a really tough choice, but I went with the big boy in the end.

Not a fan of ARMS.

Game 7: Neither
I don't think Geno deserves to be in Super Smash Brothers due to his lack of relevancy and his weird copyright issues, and Bandana Waddle Dee is such a dull pick for a character. Bandana Waddle Dee is going to curbstomp Geno anyway, so there's no real point in voting here.

I love me some Donkey Kong Country. K. Rool is the obvious choice, but Dixie is almost just as good. I'd really just take anything I can get: Cranky, Funky, Lanky... hell, I'd take Bluster the Benevolent at this point. His Final Smash would be Leo Luster, of course.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Game 4: 2. Waluigi
Game 6: 3. Spring Man
Game 8: 6. Ashley

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Let's not forget that Isaac might not win the fight against Spring "Relevant" Man.
If that happens I'm done with the internet. I do love Arms but if Isaac loses there is no justice in the world. In the grand scheme of things such a small sample doesn't really have much chance to accurately represent the population when it comes to whether people prefer Isaac over Springman but this isn't about logic. This about me wanting Isaac to win.

D

Deleted member

If that happens I'm done with the internet. I do love Arms but if Isaac loses there is no justice in the world. In the grand scheme of things such a small sample doesn't really have much chance to accurately represent the population when it comes to whether people prefer Isaac over Springman but this isn't about logic. This about me wanting Isaac to win.
Dude, I want Isaac to win just as much as you do and I don't even like Arms, but that's a bit of an overreaction wouldn't you say?
who am i kidding i will react that way if decidueye loses to chibirobo or if bandana dee somehow loses to pinocchio

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Dude, I want Isaac to win just as much as you do and I don't even like Arms, but that's a bit of an overreaction wouldn't you say?
who am i kidding i will react that way if decidueye loses to chibirobo or if bandana dee somehow loses to pinocchio
I mean I was joking. Sure if Isaac loses that would suck to me but I mean who cares this a game to pass the time till Smash is released and for some fun. Though I guess if that wasn't obvious then it probably wasn't a good joke.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Game 7: Geno
Game 8: Ashley

D

Deleted member

I mean I was joking. Sure if Isaac loses that would suck to me but I mean who cares this a game to pass the time till Smash is released and for some fun. Though I guess if that wasn't obvious then it probably wasn't a good joke.
I got that, mine was a joke too.
Really hoping Isaac wins tho

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Game 1: King K. Rool -He'd bring something new, not just another sword user.
Game 2: Takamaru - Oh a tough one for me, I support both these guys. However, I have been wanting to see the 4 sister series together in Smash, and we're only missing Takamaru. A bit burnt out on swordsmen, but he still edges out Toad.
Game 3: Decidueye - Have no interest in the robot.
Game 4: Waluigi - Their outfits still bother me. Waluigi would be more unique, funny enough for being the 4th Mario clone in Super Mario itself.
Game 5: Andy - Not big on either, tbh.

Game 6: Spring Man - I'm in the minority here, but I got my stance ready. I understood the Isaac hype back in the day, but the boy has missed the train. His series has been long dead. His Assist Trophy was even removed. And we're getting to the point where we have plenty of variety of swordsmen, that yet another human swordsman is just not that exciting even with the idea of elements being tagged on. Also his adult form would stand out from the cast of swordsmen better, but most people support his generic RPG look since it is the likely one. Maybe if we didn't already have generic swordsmen/women coming in armies from Fire Emblem and now Xenoblade offering yet more swordsmen/women to the very likely list I could see more hype for him. You also have LoZ supplying the blond generic swordsman. I wouldn't mind him, and I do respect his followers. But I'm starting to think the "hype" for the character built in the past has actually over taken the series or character's actual popularity in general.

Meanwhile this is Spring Man's (well, either later addition or DLC) big chance. And aesthetically he actually is brand sparkling new to the roster. We don't got no modern day stretch arm guys. The bright Colgate blue hair in the wacky spiral, the pinkish red accents to his outfit, and sheer amount of love and detail put into his design even down to the bottom of his shoes. I haven't even played the game, but I have some mad respect to the level of love and affection that went into that cast's design.

Game 7: Bandana Dee - Never understood the Geno hype.
Game 8: Ashley - Another tough one! Both little ladies would be cool, but I think Ashley would stand out and be more successful.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Game 4: Waluigi - Neither are my first choice, but Rex & Pyra don't appeal at all. I'd much prefer other characters in the series.
Game 7: Geno - Let's go ♡♪!?. You can do this. I believe in you.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
Game 1: 1. King K. Rool vs 4. Impa
Game 2: 2. Takamaru vs 3. Captain Toad
Game 3: 1. Decidueye vs 4. Chibi-Robo
Game 4: 2. Waluigi vs 3. Rex & Pyra
Game 5: 1. Ridley vs 4. Andy
Game 6: 2. Isaac vs. 3. Spring Man
Game 7: 1. Bandana Dee vs. 4. Geno
Game 8: 2. Dixie Kong vs. 6. Ashley

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Reality is one big joke.
Accurate

Honestly I'm more worried about Takamaru. I kinda expected him to dominate but I guess I overestimated his popularity.
Yeah well Toad is a popular character. Even if I can't understand why and some people just herald Captain Toad as the face of all Toads for some reason. Takamaru is mainly bandwagon popular because everybody pretty much thinks he's getting in. While you and I support Takamaru very seriously for most people it's a superficial support. Which is why it's not surprising he might lose to another popular character.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Just so that the DK reps wouldn't all be monkeys.
At least I have some familiarity with the Mario series. I can't believe Wonder Red is out.
I voted against Mimikyu the last round because Decidueye is the 7th gen rep I wanted to see.
Mario might be a little too overrepresented and I hate how Waluigi's supporters scream "WAAA!" That actually sounds like a baby crying which had irritated me at the grocery store I work at. Meanwhile, Xenoblade could use more representatives and since the Ice Climbers should be able work on the Switch, they could use other tag teams on the roster.
Ridley's not too big for the game.
It might be cool to have a Golden Sun rep, but a long reach person from a new game would be more interesting.
If the thread didn't say "First-Party" in the title and we had other third-party characters like Tails or Rayman in the bracket, I wouldn't care about Geno's inclusion so much to actively vote against him. The issue with Square Enix should disqualify him from the bracket and there are several Nintendo-owned characters that could have taken his spot. And also, Bandana Dee is the fourth player in Return to Dream Land along with the three veterans, meaning he's the perfect fourth player for a Kirby-themed match.
Game 8: Ashley
A witch vs. a girly Diddy? I'd take the witch anyday. Especially since the lyrics in her theme song that plays in the WarioWare stage make her seem interesting. She'd be a more child friendly witch than Bayonetta anyway, because she's a teenage witch like Sabrina in a Wario game. Flying like a helicopter could be used for Tails or Rayman.

D

Deleted member

I counted every vote so far because I was bored
Game 1: King K. Rool (23) vs Impa (5)
Game 2: Takamaru (17) vs Captain Toad (11)
Game 3: Decidueye (17) vs Chibi-Robo (11)
Game 4: Waluigi (15) vs Rex & Pyra (13)
Game 5: Ridley (17) vs Andy (11)
Game 6: Isaac (19) vs Spring Man (9)
Game 7: Bandana Dee (20) vs Geno (7) (1 indifferent) May actually be be 19 for Bandana Dee, 2 indifferent
Game 8: Dixie Kong (19) vs Ashley (9)
Nimbostratus Nimbostratus I don't know if this is 100% accurate since I might have messed up on a few things, but I'm sure it's at least fairly accurate.
Looks like my voted characters are the dominant ones as of now, though it's really close on some of them. Isaac vs Spring Man is much more one-sided than I thought it would be.

D

Deleted member

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm just glad Starfy and Ray 01 made it to round 2. Thanks to everyone out there still showing love to these guys.

Game 1: 1. King K. Rool (close one for me)
Game 2: 3. Captain Toad (2 characters I hardly care about)
Game 3: 4. Chibi-Robo (we're going all the way little dude)
Game 4: 2. Waluigi (Rex and Pyra might be likely, but I have no interest in them whatsoever)
Game 6: 2. Isaac (same as Rex and Pyra tbh)
Game 7: 1. Bandana Dee (beat my favorite choice, but I still love them)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Game 4: 2. Waluigi