• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash O'Clock hosted by PSFM - Geneva, IL

ORLY

Smash Master
yeah juggleguy said that you were going to that one, so reply to my PM already, yeesh

regarding rage, i found myself getting really mad at stupid **** playing street fighter last night. it doesn't really happen to me in melee because my technical execution is much stronger than it is in SF and i don't **** up as much

and around here, it's considered super gay when you grab more than once a round but whenever i call anyone out on it, they reply with "no way chris you started this gay grab ****" which i don't believe but it might be true

anyway, all i said was "you can be super gay when you want to so no more complaining plzzz" and they were all like "**** you chris, seriously just **** you"

why people gotta be so mad all the time ;_;

p.s. - man you peach players get mad a lot and i can see why. if it's anything like what happens to me in SF, like you mess up some execution and get messed up for it, that **** is frustrating

p.p.s. - maybe i should write a paper on game rage

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
smashers are so silly:
oh no I have to play kels in the first 3 rounds at this 20 man tournament! I am genuinely suprised and this is unacceptable
oh no I messed up and got punished! I don't know who I am mad at but this is bull**** ban your character/this stage/holding the controller with 2 hands
oh no I got dashdance grabbed! Camping is so gay how could you play like that to win money?!

just get over it and accept falco into your heart

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Orrr something like a full-on integration of yourself into the game during the match and it's hard to transition back to the chill, normal world.
Thisss...can be true. Like Joe said as well, integrate or invest enough energy into something and not get the results you were looking for and accepting defeat can be hard to say the least. Just don't care as much/put in that much effort. This game is a joke. Take it as such.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Thiiiiis guuuuuy!!!!

Loved every word. @ Frank

Not caring and thinking your hobby is a joke directly correlates to lesser performances. You aren't physically expending the mental energy required to read and react. I mean if you think it's a joke, why would you play it in tournament or even at all?

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah juggleguy said that you were going to that one, so reply to my PM already, yeesh

regarding rage, i found myself getting really mad at stupid **** playing street fighter last night. it doesn't really happen to me in melee because my technical execution is much stronger than it is in SF and i don't **** up as much

and around here, it's considered super gay when you grab more than once a round but whenever i call anyone out on it, they reply with "no way chris you started this gay grab ****" which i don't believe but it might be true

anyway, all i said was "you can be super gay when you want to so no more complaining plzzz" and they were all like "**** you chris, seriously just **** you"

why people gotta be so mad all the time ;_;

p.s. - man you peach players get mad a lot and i can see why. if it's anything like what happens to me in SF, like you mess up some execution and get messed up for it, that **** is frustrating

p.p.s. - maybe i should write a paper on game rage
stop playing with scrubs who can't crouch tech

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You missed the best part. A whole bunch of old banned stages are put back on the stage list. MK2, Corneria, Onett... could be tactical and fun!

edit- i would do 4 minutes instead.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dude I played that rulesset not gonna lie **** was sooooo fun.

Most fun I had with the game in months.

Chris - I actually wanna ask a few people about doubles to see if they'd like to team with me.

Yes I'm too lazy to god damn pm you

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I feel the times I get mad the most are when I'll do good at one tourney, get an ego boost and expect to **** at the next. Biggest example was me losing to Ankoku. This was 2 weeks or so after an SMYM. Vanz had just told me my peach was amazing in the ditto or something like that. SO yeah, Igot an ego boost from that. So suddenly losing to some peach player was like.. super frustrating for me.

Its a vicious cycle, I tel lyou. I have to remember to tell myself Im not THAT good at this game.
to SOME Peach player? yoooooooo

Oro?!

Smash Hero
My only qualm is timing out, or the time out rules rather. Especially with floaty characters. Can you imagine how easy it would be for someone like Puff to get a gimp or even just % lead and float around/pond stall for 3 minutes? I mean we saw Hbox/Armada barely take off 2 stocks each in 8 minutes...

I have so many mixed feelings about it, but mostly it feels like the main reasoning is to conform to 2D communities more... So that 3D fighters seem more of an outlier than smash.

ORLY

Smash Master
it has to do with the momentum of the match

2 stocks leaves no room for comebacks

Oro?!

Smash Hero
It's still the same number of stocks per set, and it is more like the flow of a traditional fighter. The flow goes over the course of games rather than in one match.

john!

Smash Hero
jank stages are fun but should be kept out of competitive play IMO

if they made lower tier characters viable, then i would have no problem with them

but they are all just abused by fox (and sometimes falco) who are already the best characters in the game

edit: regarding 2s bo7 instead of 4s bo3

2s bo7 would take longer due to the extra time needed between matches to counterpick stages, characters, etc.

a suicide in a 2s match would always decide it, unless there was a huge skill gap between the players (in which case the ruleset doesn't matter anyway)

although there are more matches to make the 2s victory worth less than a 4s victory, the winner of a 2s match is the better player, say, 75% of the time (as opposed to 80-90% of the time in a 4s match)

one advantage i can see to 2s matches is that the first match blind pick neutral strike doesn't mean as much (because there are more matches)

i think it would be worth testing to see which format is more competitive

by having 2 players play many sets in both formats

and seeing which format allows one of the players to win a larger percentage of the time (meaning it is the more competitive format)

sanchaz

Smash Lord
my only qualm is timing out, or the time out rules rather. Especially with floaty characters. Can you imagine how easy it would be for someone like puff to get a gimp or even just % lead and float around/pond stall for 3 minutes? I mean we saw hbox/armada barely take off 2 stocks each in 8 minutes...

I have so many mixed feelings about it, but mostly it feels like the main reasoning is to conform to 2d communities more... So that 3d fighters seem more of an outlier than smash.
rofl!!!!!!!!!!! New signature!

Meneks

Smash Lord
Continuously starting matches after 2 stocks would become really annoying.

4 stocks is already fun plus more time for you to get into clutch mode.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
SD's also matter less since an SD should really cost you a game in cases where players are pretty close, but the opponent only gets 1/4 the wins they need for the set from it instead of 1/2.

alcheato

Smash Ace
smashers are so silly:
oh no I have to play kels in the first 3 rounds at this 20 man tournament! I am genuinely suprised and this is unacceptable
oh no I messed up and got punished! I don't know who I am mad at but this is bull**** ban your character/this stage/holding the controller with 2 hands
oh no I got dashdance grabbed! Camping is so gay how could you play like that to win money?!
Quoted for truth.

As for Cactuar's proposed rule set:
It seems interesting but I feel like it would really slow the momentum of a match to have players potentially choosing characters and stages 4-7 times every set. Also, Bo7 would make tournies run way longer. It's a fun idea but I don't like the thought of having it as a tournament rule set.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres a lot of stuff being talked about, but nobody has even tried it! You should at least have an open mind about trying something before passing judgement.

I have always been against CP stages because they randomize results and make sets unfair, but playing more games and having each stage matter less allows reintroduction of stages. I think a ruleset where tactically choosing stages would be a refreshing change of pace.

edit- and for time complaints, it would only add marginal amount of time to each set. Maybe a minute or less.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
me sanchaz and xeylode tried it last night. I think icicle mountain should be banned since you don't really fight the other player for the first minute and a half. Brinstar Depths and Big Blue both had problems with players falling straight through the level/main ship. I'm not sure if I want to ban hyrule temple, but sanchaz def does. All other stages were fine, even if there were a few I didn't want to play on much.

It was a lot of fun, I'm going to do it more tonight and our madison fest. Would definitely go to a tournament with this ruleset.

ORLY

Smash Master
why didn't you ****ers tell me that every stage was going to be legal except for big blue and brinstar depths?

this ruleset may be more fun than christmas

but those two stocks are like the fruitcake

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I actually like 2 stocks. It was long enough to appreciate and utilize the jank of the stage but not long enough for the stage "flaws" to make the stage annoying. Comebacks still happened except it wasn't 'I'm down a stock so if I just out play him a little teeny bit it'll add up over the match and by the end it'll be even again' it was 'I need to out play him by a lot like he just did or I'm going to get suicide spiked'. You have to play your A game from GO instead of 'I'm not warmed up so I'm going to run around and warm up and hopefully they suck and I'm only down by a little bit' or something. The whole attrition aspect was taken out of the game and built into the set which was refreshing.

There's only been a handful of 4 stock comebacks and 3 stocks comebacks are far between. It sounds like a silly reason to be against 2 stocks. Why not play 5 stock matches in case you can make a 5 stock comeback?

edit: I'm not saying it's perfect or even better, but it was fun and people should try it before declaring 2 stock to be an unholy sin.

ORLY

Smash Master
i'd be down to test out the ruleset next tournament

just not this one since it's such late notice

Top Bottom