• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash League - Registration Has Begun

Toby.

Smash Master
click-> The Smash League - Road to the Elite Four<-click

Registration for the event begins now people!

Just as a reminder I'll give you all a little reminder of the character limit.

**The Character Restriction**

As with any Pokemon game you will be expected to choose your "party" wisely. We have this restriction in place because character choices play a large part in Brawl, and in order to keep the difficult nature of the Smash League in tact, we have guidelines in place to prevent challengers from hard-countering every gym leader they play. The limit for the event is 3 characters, and they must be chosen before upon registering yourself in this thread as a trainer.

To clear up a common error people have made regarding these rules, you do not need to use any of your 3 choices to select a character to fit Cao's challenge. The Thunder Badge and Volcano badge challenges bypass the 3 character limit. This means your party can consist of Snake, Marth and Donkey Kong, while still giving you the freedom of choosing any character you want if you were to challenge Cao as long as it fits his special gym conditions.

Also, for you wimpy second-rate trainers, if there are any of you who wish to change a character in your party mid-league, you will have to forfeit all badges you won using the character being changed. If this were to happen during the Elite 4 challenge, you will have to gather the badges you lost AND restart the entire Elite 4 challenge.

Finally, Random can be counted as a character in your party if anyone's silly enough to choose it.

GET TO REGISTERING.

***The Challenge System***

Simply defeat a leader in an official challenge and you get a badge. Badges will be digital... we'll keep a track of what badges people have in the OP, and incorporate badges into peoples signatures if they want :3

You can only challenge a gym leader once per tournament. Challenging a leader also involves playing under certain parameters...for example if you challenge Meteor, his gym would obviously be on spear pillar, so you'd have to fight him there.

Keep in mind that there are 9 badges but you onlt need 8 to challenge the Elite four...lucky you.

***Current Challenge Rule Set***

1. Challenges can be up to a maximum of 1 best of 3 set. The minimum is a single match. The minimum match requirement may be avoided through rule 5.
  2. Leaders and Elite Four may have no more than one counterpick stage. This rule does not apply to stages that do not give clear benefits to the leaders character. Stages are made less advantageous by appropriate Gym Leader special rules are also exempt from the rule.
  3. Each Leader may choose 1 character to defend their badge with. This character will stay the same throughout all challenges.
  4. Challengers are to nominate 3 characters that they will use throughout the competition. This is to prevent challengers simply hard countering each and every leader.
  5. Every challenge must have at least one gimmick. This cannot involve giving an unfair advantage to the leader, nor does it have to be directly game related. For example, I'll give my rainbow badge to anyone that can sing me the poke' rap at a tournament :)

***Gym Leaders***

Storm Badge
Chuck Luke!
Gym Character: Snake
Match Count: 3
Time Limit: 8 minutes
Stock: 3

1st Match
Stage: Battlefield
conditions: Solid Snake (metal mode)

2nd Match
Stage: Lylat Cruise
Conditions: Stealth Camo (Invisible mode)

3rd Match
Stage: Halberd
Conditions: The Twins Snakes (gym leader has a cpu snake on their team for a 2 on 1,
but both the cpu and gym leader have the ingame handicap turned on, ratio still to be decided.)

Snake learned a valuble lesson during his fight with Psycho Mantis (see Metal Gear Solid 1)
Because of this the gym leaders snake always has the highest controller port.

Boulder Badge
Brock Cobalt!
Leader Characters: Donkey Kong/Bowser
Match Count: 2
Stock: 2
Time Limit: N/A
1st round: vs Donkey Kong in Jungle Japes
2nd round: vs Bowser in Norfair
Pitfalls set to High
Damage ratio set to 0.5
White DK and silver Bowser is reserved for gym leader. In order to obtain the Boulder Badge, trainer must be victorious in both rounds.

Cascade Badge
Misty Hotdog!
Gym Leader Character: Kirby
Stage: Jungle Japes
Stock Count: 3
Other Conditions:
- Bumpers set to High
- Constant Curry mode on
-Damage Ratio set to 0.2

Thunder Badge
Lt. Surge Caotique!
Leader Character: Peach
Stage: Final Destination
Time Limit: 7 Minutes
Other Conditions:
-Low Tier Only (Wolf/Peach or below)
-Thunder-Type Pokemon (Pikachu) allowed
-Items set to Low: Beam Sword, Bomb, Mr. Saturn, Proximity Mine, Lightning Bolt

Rainbow Badge
Erika Toby!
Leader Character: Pokemon Trainer
Stage: Pokemon Stadium 1 / PS2
Time Limit: 7 Minutes
Stock Count: 1
Other Conditions:
-Stamina Mode
-300 HP each
-No chain grabs or tilt locks (most of them become infinites in stamina mode)

Soul Badge
Koga Vyse!

Leader Character: Diddy Kong
Stock: 3
Time Limite: N/A
1st round: Jungle Japes
2nd round: Rumble Falls
3rd round: 75m
Bananas set to High

Marsh Badge
Sabrina Meteor!

Participation in this gym battle requires that the challenger gives a soda pop to the guard of saffron city. The guard also happens to be the gym leader, which should keep things convenient for you all ^_^

Gym Leader Characters: Ness/Lucas
Stage: Spear Pillar
Other Conditions:
-Items set to High
-All items set to Mr Saturn
-Spear Pillar stage speed increased by 5x

Volcano Badge
Blaine Accelerate =D
Stage: Final Destination
Special Rules:
Captain Falcon Only
Pink is reserved for gym leader.
Landing a Falcon punch results in loss of stock.
Sudden Death is Awarded to the Gym Leader.

Earth Badge
Giovanni Tedeth!?
Gym Leader Character: Wolf
Stages: Lylat, Corneria, Yoshis Island
Other Conditions:
-Items set to low
-Pitfall turned on

***The Elite Four***

Lorelei-- Tibs

Bruno -- Attila

Agatha -- Amaterasu

Lance -- Shaya

Registered Trainers

Afropony
1. Pit
2. Metaknight
3. Snake

Gold
1.Jigglypuff
2.Marth
3.Sheik

Code:
The trainer who famously slept through half of the very first western Sydney tournament, single handedly disrupting the flow of the competition. Waking him was impossible...without a pokeflute we were at his mercy.Surely such a diabolic scheme could only be crafted by the mind of a Rocket Director.
Z/ Swordsaint
1. Snake
2. Metaknight
3. Falco
Code:
One of the promising rookies of the new age, this trainer has blazed his own trail since leaving Pallet Town, leaving numerous talented trainers in his wake. On his journey he has already collected an assortment of powerful pokemon, and he intends to use them.

Elite Four Member Bruno / a'
1.Snake
2.Marth
3.Lucas

Code:
His up front and direct manner is indicative of his approach in battle. He won't hesitate to crush his opponents as quickly and brutally as possible. His pride continues to move him forward, elevating him to Elite status. Recently his battle for supremacy has led him to distant lands. His verdict? "We're world's apart". Good luck beating this force of nature.

aK
1. Snake
2. Marth
3. DK

Code:
aK remains an enigma. Despite rarely appearing at public events, sightings would indicate that he spends much of his time quietly relaxing in Viridian City. Following his recent annihilation of the crew and passengers aboard the popular cruise ship S.S Anne, some are speculating that he grows tired of the quiet life. Perhaps his journey will begin again soon.

Chuck (Norris) / Luke
1.Snake
2.Luigi
3.Ganondorf

Code:
Chuck is the Gym Leader of Cianwood City's Gym, officially known as the Cianwood Gym. His specialty is Fighting-type Pokémon. Chuck gives out the Storm Badge to Trainers who beat him. Even though he is the fighting master he gets tired easily, a condition which he treats by drinking a special energy drink rich in Adaptogenic Herbs. His special training method involves fighting his own pokemon to improve their concentration, which just goes to show how epic he is.
Other Badges:

Bjay
1.Wario
2.Wolf
3.Random

Code:
Take it Slow, bro... Bjay is known for his easy going nature and tendency to use random pokemon and still win. As far as anyone is aware he never practiced and never will, which is further evidence of a life lived by the edict that laziness is the true path of contentment. Coincidentally his sheer laziness has also allowed him to develop a style disctinctly seperate from the norm, which makes him an unusual and difficult opponent. Truly a Slowbro at heart.
Gym Leader Tedovanni
1.Wolf
2.Wario
3.ICs

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'
Uggh
What?
Uggh

Hahahaha <3

Turtle
1.captain falcon
2.jigglypuff
3.ike
Code:
Turtle is pretty tired of the new generation of pokemon trainers and wishes he could just spend more time chilling with professor oak and reminiscing about the days when there were only 150 pokemon, not this 493 bull****. Nowadays all the pokemon live forever and are so ****ing slow that he has to carry a pokeflute to stop himself from falling asleep whenever he battles. After his recent attempt to push his 3rd generation pokemon off a cliff failed (he forgot the sweet spot on the ledge was so huge) he has locked them in a cupboard and now spends all his time polishing the skills of his earlier pokemon. He registered for the lols.
Zero
1.Zero Suit Samus
2.Zelda/Shiek (if only one allowed, Zelda)
3.Peach

Gary Oak
1.Pit
2.Peach
3.Diddy Kong

Badges:

BrockRockMyCensorDodging
1.Captain falcon
2.Snake
3.Dk

Sypher
1.Fox
2.Falco
3.Peach

Splice
1.GaW
2.Wolf
3.Olimar

Nixernator
1.Sonic
2.Zero Suit
3.Snake

Sieg
1.Captain Falcon
2.Captain Falcon
3.Game and Watch.

Ant
1.Pink Captain Falcon
2.Oldmanandorf
3.Martin Luther Kong

Tanman
1.Sonic
2.G&W
3.Olimar

HADES
1.Wolf.
2.Metaknight.
3.Olimar.

Hotdog
1.Kirby
2.Olimar
3.Meta-Knight

tibs
Diddy kong
ROB
Pit

STEREO
1.Snake
2.Marth
3.Wario

Rocket Director Vermysaur
1.Squirtle
2.Ivysaur
3.Charizard

Edgegames
1.Sheik
2.Sheik
3.Sheik

FTS
1.DK
2.Snake
3.Pikachu

Tak
1.Fox (Shine Type)
2.Marth (Gay Type)
3.Shiek (Manly Type)

Silfa
1.Mario
2.DK
3.Kirby

Toshi
1.Mankey (Diddy)
2.Jigglypuff (Jigglypuff)
3.Missingno (Random)

Sylvan
1.ROY (Jigglypuff)
2.ROY (Jigglypuff)
3.ROY (Jigglypuff)

Ledge
1.Olimar
2.Lucario
3.Marth

fake scar~
1. mk

I-tripp'd DropdyurFlootpipe
1.Marth
2.Snake
3.Mr Saturn

Atlasmist
1. Dedede
2.Mario
3.Mr Game and Watch

Bugs
1.Sheik
2.Ike
3.Sonic

***Above all this is For The Lols, and is purely meant to foster another dimension of competition in a nostalgic format.***

Hopefully it'll give a tiny bit more character to our smash scene =D

Nova

Banned via Warnings
This sounds like an awesome idea, I agree with keeping it to the eastern states though.

It's a great concept. ^_^

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Before anyone says 'WTF ARE YOU GUYS SMOKING' this is already something that happens both in the PT forums and there's another league for Smashboards itself.

I think this'd be pretty cool. Something else for people to play for, and something not as unattainable as simply trying to win a tournament.

Also: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOLOL @ Rickrina/Sabicky

EDIT: Also for my motif, Koga talks about locking down his opponents with his pokemon's nasty array of status inducing attacks (in silver at least where he's an Elite). Diddy does the same with Bananas.

Also Diddy's got plenty of soul B)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
who is hotdogs
who is toby

if you beat the elite four, you then vs cobalt, there's always the 'rival' at the end, remember

assuming the gym leaders are the next 8 best in australia, that would be like all vic except for maybe 1 nsw lol

Toby.

Smash Master
Continuing on from what Vyse said...

***Above all this is For The Lols, and is purely meant to foster another dimension of competition in a nostalgic format.***
It's definitely not serious business. Just something to laugh about during / in between tournaments.

EDIT: Dekar, hotdogs is a QLD player. I'm toby. And yeah we were tossing around the idea of Cobalt being Red, the dude who barely ever speaks or shows up anywhere, except at the end where he owns you.

Eagle: No SA love because it would be too hard for the states to play you, since you guys generally don't move outside your state much. Thats the only reason.

I LAG

Smash Lord
I MUST BE THE THUNDER BADGE GYM LEADER!!!
with one condition you must beat me on wifi :)
think about it. wifi could be my spear pillar.

EDIT: toby so when you said you were busy with loads of uni work you meant this?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
This is a great idea! There is however, one tiny problem you might want to address....

If the Leaders and Elite four consist of the twelve best Brawlers in Australia, how many people are you expecting to be able to defeat the Smash League in its entirety? They are supposed to be the best, so by that logic, the only ones skilled enough to defeat them all are already included in the League.

Good in theory, certainly an entertaining idea, but one that is inherently flawed. =/

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
its gonna be hard to collect them all esspecially if some gym leaders dont go on tour XP
so i think 4/6 is good or 5/6

when youre hot ya hot XP if i ever become good enough to be a gym leader it would be fire XP falcon suits it and snake..

and the burning question is who is team rocket. league of extraordinary falcons.. (because team rocket always use bottom tier pokemon)

also rofl at lame idea

Afropony

Smash Lord
So would leaders have there own special stages? Like would Jei's "Battle Arena" be on Skyworld?
And Cobalt could be Final Destination.

Also Condog I reckon I could make i to the Elite four ;)

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I think it'd be personally for the newcomers (and possibly out of staters). If I ever get my act together and attend a tourney in a state other than SA, I'd definitely try for it.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
If the Leaders and Elite four consist of the twelve best Brawlers in Australia, how many people are you expecting to be able to defeat the Smash League in its entirety? They are supposed to be the best, so by that logic, the only ones skilled enough to defeat them all are already included in the League.
You raise a good point, but isn't that part of the incentive to get better? Besides you can take the challenges at your own pace, and you may find some of the different conditions to your liking.

its gonna be hard to collect them all esspecially if some gym leaders dont go on tour XP
Actually a majority if not all of these people are those that would travel interstate on occasion.

EDIT: Wow, how epic are my bewbs? Must come with the psychic powers. =/

I LAG

Smash Lord
here's my opinion.
each state (NSW, VIC, QLD) has 4 gym leaders. 3 offline gym leaders with special home stages like meteors spear pillar. and 1 online gym leader (with the home stage being wifi) so it makes it easier for other states to win other states badges. and the elite 4 should be shaya, amaterasu, and 2 good vic players.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Sorry I lag, keeping it traditional, 8 gym leaders. And we all know wifi opens up all kinds of flaws.

ALSO, to the potential Gym Leaders, if you take up the role there is nothing stopping you from participating in the other challenges yourself.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
You raise a good point, but isn't that part of the incentive to get better? Besides you can take the challenges at your own pace, and you may find some of the different conditions to your liking.
Sure, its an incentive to get better, but that requires me to advance at such a rate that i can go from being an average competitive brawler to one of epic skill that can defeat the collective zenith of Australian Brawl. And this doesnt even take into account the fact that League members will also be increasing their skills.

This isnt like pokemon. You can't just grind until you are >20 levels higher than your opponents and blitz them with the one pokemon without even breaking a sweat =/

@afro - cool, you made it to the elite four. now beat the four best people in australia! =D should be easy!

I LAG

Smash Lord
Sorry I lag, keeping it traditional, 8 gym leaders. And we all know wifi opens up all kinds of flaws.

ALSO, to the potential Gym Leaders, if you take up the role there is nothing stopping you from participating in the other challenges yourself.
i was originally thinking of 3regions with 8 badges each but that is way to many.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Sure, its an incentive to get better, but that requires me to advance at such a rate that i can go from being an average competitive brawler to one of epic skill that can defeat the collective zenith of Australian Brawl. And this doesnt even take into account the fact that League members will also be increasing their skills.

This isnt like pokemon. You can't just grind until you are >20 levels higher than your opponents and blitz them with the one pokemon without even breaking a sweat =/
That's odd, I usually beat gym leaders when my levels are lower than theirs. =/

But on a serious note, look at it from our perspective. We planned to make this a big a challenge as possible. We don't want to be giving away badges and prizes left and right. And not using the better players would cause a fuss because there are too many people at the same skill level, and we didn't want mass arguments over who should be repping their state in such an event. The people selected were chosen because they are all of a very competent level of skill, attend various tourneys regularly, and people from their respective states acknowledge that.

Even if you lose challenge after challenge, its all part of the process of learning from your mistakes and becoming a better Brawler. The amount of success people will have beating the leaders will be proportional to how much effort they put into practicing. That "effort" is something we hope will improve the quality of our Brawl scene in general.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Weird wacky idea, I wonder how it would pan out if by some remote chance it happens =o

BUT one huge disagreement -

Cobalt for Champion!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
It would be by far... the most difficult badge to obtain...

*poses*

Dekar289

Smash Hero

just like in pokemon, you only have to beat them once. if you lose, you reload your save and try again. If you versed jei 10 times, you'd prob win at least once, and that's all it takes.

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
aww snap....im the only member of 4 F**king metas (or elysium whatsit) not there

lol Ricky...worst picture EVER

Hotdog

Smash Lord
LOL @ Vyse's pic, Pick the 2 who you think is the best in QLD ;)
What bout Amaterasu? or is he in the Elite Four?

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
i think Luke can go thunder badge i mean..
Lt. surge ... snake (both hardcore).. hmm.. some characteristics the same.. a voltorb + eletrode which can explode... hmmmmmmmm........................................... wheres a pikachu or capt falcon when u need one =o

o which game was it that u can fight ash? (i forgot) =o

o btw..

*uses rare candy x99*

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You fight Red at the end of Silver/Gold/Crystal

I think Luke and his Snake would make a good fit for Surge as well.
Remember in the anime, Raichu lost because he was slow, as is the case with Snake.

Slow but powerful.

(A complete contrast to my justification for Cao)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Great idea guys, be interesting to see how it works.

Although Ryan/Accelerate as a Gym Leader...
People would not want to play the game because they can't win. ;)

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
there should be 1 or 2 guys you have to beat before you get to the gym leader...you know...like you did in the games

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
if im in the elite four, does that mean i cant get badges? cause i seriously want some :p kick *** idea...

i think luke should be surge. notice when snake appears on screen some electric sparks shoot out? that and snakes a manly man. makes sense

Top Bottom