• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Wouldn't he be kinda hard to see on the screen? I think you should probably thicken his body up a bit to make him more visible.

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't he be kinda hard to see on the screen? I think you should probably thicken his body up a bit to make him more visible.
I see what you mean. I was thinking about maybe giving him some gloves and shoes or maybe socks, so he would stand out more. Here's a thickened version of the sprite (I'm no sprite artist sadly, and how that gif originally came out.....And those sprites might be to big :I).

Also, Mr. Randoms head is white on the inside, and is not transparent.

Attachments

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Welcome to the boards, and it's nice to see another familiar face. Here's some tips for your character:
  • Yes, I think Gloves and boots would suit him and give him more of a 20-30's cartoon zest. This is what I told Joe and your Undead friend when he was still part of the Smash Clash Spriting team. I also told him that your character would function similarly as Peacock from Skullgirls to get a better picture
  • As you said, your character is too big when compared to the others. When making a sprite for this game (that is if you do plan to), be sure to use an existing character as reference. All characters should be all be proportionate (except for the Big guys) and should have the same DPI. I took the liberty to take all the existing characters and line them up for visual's sake:

EDIT: I forgot to put in the Penguin character. But he's still in the game just so you know.
  • Also, If you can't buy Photoshop, you can download Gimp for free which has similar features as PS right down to the layers and animation. I'm not sure if you were the guy I talked to about that but I'm not even sure if Flipnote is a viable source from making sprites, unless off course you can send the animation file into a pc with no blur whatsoever.
  • Anyway, hope that helps. I'm not sure if I can sprite that guy since I'm already dealing with two characters. That and I still have other personal works to attend to, not to mention I'm working on a sprite for a 3rd possible Fighter (the supposed rival of Lord Jump Mad).

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Keep up the good work guys. Also @ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo do you have any updatse on Lord Jump Mad? So many of my friends want to play him haha.

Also good news, I got lag compensation working for online battles. It's to the point that you can play against someone, and actually feel like you are sort of fighting them (which is big improvement from before haha). Hopefully in the next few months online battles will be ready for alpha testers. I've been putting so much work into this multiplayer so I can't wait until it's finished!

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 sorry for the hold up but I got the Running sprite down... sorta. Finals are drawing close and again, I got preoccupied. Anyway, as for the sprite itself, I was working on a different running animation at first but it was a mess that stumped me. I'm thinking LJM here would look great running comically by doing some animation smears on the legs. Still not finalized though, I have to add his cape and am wondering if I should also animate his mouth, any thoughts?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
New character select screen in the works :) Sorry for low quality. The HD one is on my phone...

There will be four panels in the final version. The background will rotate and there might be some other background element in there. We're not sure yet. Maybe text which will go across the screen horizontally. Also there will be some buttons to go back, change settings, etc.

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
New character select screen in the works :) Sorry for low quality. The HD one is on my phone...

There will be four panels in the final version. The background will rotate and there might be some other background element in there. We're not sure yet. Maybe text which will go across the screen horizontally. Also there will be some buttons to go back, change settings, etc.
so right now were working with 4 characters(5 if youre gonna include mr.random who im not a huge fan of but could be interesting), correct?

how many are you planning on having in the first release?

(btw ive got a new character idea for the spriters; ill post it later. :D)

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
so right now were working with 4 characters(5 if youre gonna include mr.random who im not a huge fan of but could be interesting), correct?

how many are you planning on having in the first release?

(btw ive got a new character idea for the spriters; ill post it later. :D)
Don't know how many characters yet. As many as we can get before a summer release I guess.

Also here's the new menu music :D

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo I used Gimp (still gotta get used to it, and also get a new mouse) and made a test animation using gloves and shoes. I made Mr. Randoms here move in the style of Mr. Game & Watch. Also what did you mean exactly when you said he could function similarly as Peacock from Skullgirls?

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 The music is sounding swell.

And just a random thought, but perhaps there can be character bios somewhere, because I like reading those :D

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
I finally got the Running animation down. What do you guys think so far?

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 that's the title screen music right? Sounds good so far, hoping to hear more dynamic tunes.

@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms In the fighting game Skullgirls, Peacock was a bionic girl influenced by the 20-30's toons who can bend the laws of physics. Her attacks consisted of bringing out household objects and using it as her arsenal. But now that you reminded me of Mr. Game & Watch, I think he can function just the same. Either character works for him I guess.

As for your sprite, I like the general look but you could try to trim some of the rough edges a bit and maybe add in a few key frames of animation(also to his arms). Maybe loop his stance a couple of seconds then let his buck tooth grow and laugh as Mr. Random himself puts his hands on his hips... what do you think?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Ok a question about online infrastructure. This is just theoretical, so no programming knowledge needed.

So this is a trade off. Which one would you rather have?

Large input lag (about 100 to 250 ms) but virtually no visual jerks.
OR
No input lag but characters jerk around a lot.

I can do something inbetween too. Also trying to find ways to preserve the fast past nature of the game despite latency.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Hellooooo, i am the guy who is making the graphics for the menu and the interface, i also made that menu theme :3 I MIGHT make more music in the future, its pretty LIKELY that i will finish the rest of the interface too, i am really busy with university right now so it might not be a short theme work but i am compromised enough to do my part, so expect work c:

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 I already knew that ;) As for the online, the in between choice sounds the best.

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo I put some animation in it, how does it look so far?

Edit: I added more frames of animation to the first one. Much more active and ready for battle in the newer version. Still need to work on the other one if or/when possible.

@ felipe_9595 felipe_9595 Hellooooooooooo right back at ya! The music and graphics you made are looking swell :D

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 I'd go for the in between option but with an edge towards less input lag. Also no I'm not a pro, haha, still have a long way to go in terms of animation and pixel art.

@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Looking better but as for the updated pose animation, it looks weird seeing his feet move around like that. I was okay with them staying stationary from the earlier sprite but maybe you can use that sprite as an attack. With a little bit of added animation smear, it may look like your character is tossing things behind him. As for his laughing pose, try to make the head move independently a bit as he laughs(also try to add the face on the buck tooth appear when doing so).

That aside, there are still some jags noticeable, you may want to read up on the Spriters Dictionary to understand the basic terms. http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-13868.html Also, I think the boots need soles to look more interesting. Hope that helps.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
The problem is the multiplayer network I'm currently using has a 0.25 sec delay when sending a packet......not acceptable. I have to find a better one I guess. If I can find a better one I might have to keep it so it strictly uses local wifi only. So now full online battles until later. I'm going to try my best to fix this though so jump freak out haha I'm still working on online mode.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted. I actually just lost my house and have been in a transitional phase, I'll try to be more active now.

And Sheldon, I like that you shrunk your character but it still needs some tweaking, the animation is pretty choppy.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Thought I'd submit another round of character concepts that you might be interested in. Also forgive the bad Phone quality shot I'll probably scan this and refine the edges later in the week:

(From Left to Right)

Emeralds / Bad Kitty: Rival of LJM and a foil to his scheme. A hand to hand combat fighter who can deliver devastating kicks and scratches. Can work like Chun Li or Felicia.

Viro / Robot-V: Supposedly the fifth in a series of mass produced combat androids. The line was scrapped after the first model of the V line went rogue and left off due to a flaw in the unit's AI. Apparently the V-unit has a strong moral code written in his system that has given him a child-like personality and thus made him think twice about his manufacturer's Moral ethics. He has a variety of weapons stored within. Can work like Mega man.

Robot-X: Originally the the 6th unit sent to track down his predecessor, He was rebuilt after a crippling defeat from Viro. Now revived with a reinforced body and a burning vengeance, his primary function is the annihilation of Robot-V. His attacks consist of firing explosives from his arms and chest.

The Mighty Mongo: A strange Bean Character who was originally human until he stalked the wrong gal... who was a tsundere bio-engineer. He can dish out plant based attacks like a vine lasher, pumpkabombs and Stump-stomps. (Yeah, I don't know how I came up with this guy either). I also made a sprite of him years back:

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedbacks, I guess I still need more practice in making sprites. I think something went wrong when I animated his head.

Also, if you're looking for more character concepts, then I could rev up something :D

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Here's just something to show for concepts:

Thinking "Block Head" or something, a slightly taller and slower character, naturally he could have an array of moves including an axe, a sword, TNT, maybe even a mine-cart related attack that does good damage but has a downfall of not being able to stop unless you hit another player or part of a stage, idk. Shading also is only in concept stage

Then a random anime guy's head, there could be a lot done to that

and then the wolf with boxing gloves, also not done shading and not really too fond of his stance in that pose.

Jdawg, Sorry about taking so long with the Queen's assist sprites. I can work on remaking the rest, this is what I have so far at her smaller size:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The boxing dog could have a move where he cosplays as other characters (a reference to how you put it in a dress in the other concept art). Could be quite funny.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Looking great!

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo nice concept art!

Ok guys, so we need to start figuring out when we are going to get each of these characters finished. I'll be finishing up the penguin's code in about 2 weeks, and I'll update the app for testers. At that point we will have two fully functional characters. I really want a summer release for this game as I will be going off the college next year (going pre-med so I will have a busy schedule). So if you guys can give me a rough estimate of when you think your character will be complete that would be great.

My goal is to have at least 6 characters for the game's release. Our current lineup looks like this

Flare

Dr. Puffs (not sure about this name yet)

Lord Jump Mad

With a possibility of these characters

Block head (InnerMobius just threw this out there and I liked it)

Mr. Randoms (depends on if the animations are fixed up properly. I'm pretty confident he'll make it though)

Grey Alien Guy (I really want this guy put in at some point!)

Oh and I want a pretty princess character haha. Sorry ugly one gets to be an assist.

Mighty Mongo

etc.......don't feel like listing anymore.

So if we finish LJM's animations by June or July I can have him programmed for an August release.
Then if we have Mr. Randoms also finished a bit earlier (maybe June) because his attacks might be a bit more the program.
Then we need to step up and get two more.
So these are just my current thoughts. I'm flexible of course haha. If we can make sure we have four solid characters we will be in direct competition with Fright Fight (which as over 50,000 downloads so there is a strong market for this kind of game) so yay.

Last and final thing to be addressed: fan art. We need to get some artwork of our top characters. This could be used from promo purposes as well as loading screens or even if it's featured on app stores.

Sorry for rumbling on. It's late, and every time I go on this forum I get overly excited for the potential in this!

So quick overview for those who don't want to read.
- I want an idea when each character will be finished being animated
- 6 characters is our goal for release (tell me if you think otherwise)
- Confirmed characters are: Flare, Dr. Puffs (penguin), Lord Jump Mad (LJM)
- Most likely and hopefully Mr. Randoms will be in there
- We need two other characters to be added in for release
- Fan art

Stay classy guys.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Just a heads up, my majors are taking up a big chunk of my time for the past week so I may not update much till mid april. after that I have all the time to work since I'll be on break. Speaking of which, at best, I can get LJM down late April/early May then can move on to Dioxin. If you want Character art, I could do six of them plus a "promo art" of two battling. That is if I'm not busy with the pixel art.

Also, Is there anything that can be done for Bad Kitty/Emeralds? LJM and I expressed alot of interest in having the game have at least one pair of rivals. I just might make concept sprites for all the characters I drew after working on LJM.

@ InnerMobius InnerMobius it's a late reply but sorry to hear about what happened, hope things are looking up for you. As for your sprites, looking good especially like the Minecraft type sprite, as for the anime character, why not make him a Fire Emblem type character? Also your dog makes me think he can work like Roger Jr. from the Tekken series.

EDIT: You know what, I think I'll just share what I've been working on now before I work on my Majors projects. So far, I've polished up LJM's Jump sprite and am still trying to get his double jump animation down. I'm trying to make him boost up in a way where he uses his cape as a propeller. Past sprites have been ugly but I'll try to improve on it, any suggestions?

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Sorry I somehow misread your post awhile back. I hope everything is going okay.

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo I really like the rival idea for the Bad Kitty/Emeralds. It would really make this game seem more alive :)

If any of you know anyone who would want to help that would be great. The more characters the better (as all we Smash fans know).

Edit: @ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo and as far as the double jump goes I can't say much as I'm no good at this artwork stuff xD Maybe his legs could move upwards as it animates?

Last edited:

brian2524

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and I have been working on a character. I don't exactly want him to be an actual character in the game, but maybe something like an assist (you know, like an assist trophies in brawl).
:joyful:
Please give me feedback because i'm willing to change whatever to make him look better.

ninja001.png

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Here is a bigger picture of him. Sorry about that other one.
Looks great. It looks like he should be the right pixel ratio, but I think someone should line him up next to the other characters to see. Anyone have ideas for his attack? Maybe he could make the screen go dark and then attack the closest player?

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
I might as well also share my "Scanned" Concept art which I added in extra colored close-ups of the characters.

LordJumpMad

Smash Rookie
I must say, the game looks splendid!
And good to see that you have made me the most smartest, most clever, and most physic fit fighter out there!
I'm sure it would make everyone mad.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Looks awesome! I was just noticing that LJM's colors look really similar to Flare's. Is this going to be a problem you think?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm working on the assist item. I just made this as a placeholder for now. If anyone wants to make something better go ahead.

@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Do you know when you will have the queen finished?
@ brian2524 brian2524 Can you start animating your ninja? He would be an awesome addiction to the assist pool.

Attachments

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
You should make a disc shaped object that hovers in the air, opens up and reveals the assist character.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I'm not very good at pixel art. I would imagine that it would kind of look like a stereotypical sci-fi teleporter design, kind of like the ones in Team Fortress 2.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
InnerMobius[/USER] Do you know when you will have the queen finished?
I'll try to get her to you by Wednesday night

@ brian2524 brian2524 Your guy kinda looks like a toe, he definitely needs to be bigger and for some work to be done. Maybe some shape tweaking too. Here's what he looks like next to the others:

You should follow the manual Karakato posted earlier and pick up some pixel art tips. Good luck man!

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
EDIT: You know what, I think I'll just share what I've been working on now before I work on my Majors projects. So far, I've polished up LJM's Jump sprite and am still trying to get his double jump animation down. I'm trying to make him boost up in a way where he uses his cape as a propeller. Past sprites have been ugly but I'll try to improve on it, any suggestions?

I think the biggest problem is the fact that you need both of these to transition into the same animations, but they're extremely different poses. Both jump and doublejump transition into the same falling animation, and also into forward, back, up and down aerials. If the poses for jump/doublejump/fall are radically different like this it might look a little weird.

Top Bottom