• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking my own forum, but I'm not familiar with a social forum. What exactly is it?
you know that button up there, groups? well basically it allows you to open your own mini private forum that you have full administrative control of. that includes appointing moderators, editing and locking threads, etc etc.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
you know that button up there, groups? well basically it allows you to open your own mini private forum that you have full administrative control of. that includes appointing moderators, editing and locking threads, etc etc.
Sounds like a good step to take before making a whole new forum. Can you set it up? I don't really know how to do it

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently not a moderator of it, but as soon as I am I'll make sure things get straightened up.

Btw lot's of improvements done on the penguin. He has a whole lot of projectiles making him pretty fun :D

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the delay, had to work extra this week. I posted a possible moveset for Mr. Randoms before, so here they are again in uploaded form.

Here's Mr. Randoms neutral special. He's holding a fryer basket, because he's revving up those fryers (@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo already knows what this is based off of XD), and by that, he's somehow making random food appear everywhere from the basket. This move could work exactly like Mr. Game & Watch's neutral special, what do you think?

Also here's some food, but perhaps something else could pop up randomly?

Attachments

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the delay, had to work extra this week. I posted a possible moveset for Mr. Randoms before, so here they are again in uploaded form.

Here's Mr. Randoms neutral special. He's holding a fryer basket, because he's revving up those fryers (@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo already knows what this is based off of XD), and by that, he's somehow making random food appear everywhere from the basket. This move could work exactly like Mr. Game & Watch's neutral special, what do you think?

Also here's some food, but perhaps something else could pop up randomly?
Nicely done! I think very rarely something spiky should come out which deals lots of damage. Maybe something not food. It would be random haha

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Back~ Yes, my finals should have ended last wednesday, but I did not take into account that I would be out of the town with the relatives because of holy week. Anyway, I now have the time to work on the sprites so first up, I thought of turning LJM's Double jump sprite into a normal attack (either Down+B or Up+B) where he will slip while running then kick his opponents up by accident after which he'll fall on his bottom. For his Double jump, I decided to go with my first option of taking cues from SMW where the character will use his cape as a glider and gain some air boost. Just tell me if I need anything to add to this because I'll be working on his next sprites:

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 I'm open to a separate forum, even if I'm okay sticking to where we are. Also, how's the Link/Marth type character of your friend coming along?

@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms your character's neutral attack looks good for the most part, but I think some slight adjustments are needed. The right hand when rested looks a bit off angled in line with the arm (or is the mantis hand intentional?). The only thing I want to see improved is having the head move slightly forward as he punches, would make him look more dynamic.
As for his "Rev up" move, I like the general idea behind it but I feel a frying pan would suit better (I'm okay if you don't want to change, I know you love your references a lot). Maybe try adding some grease particles in the mix to make it more obvious that he's cooking. As for other items coming out, why not include a bomb or a mannequin's leg to further exploit your character's randomness? Hope that helps.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Glad your back. Hope finals went well. Mine will be finished in able three weeks or so.

The new version of the Link/Marth character is still yet to be seen...even by me haha. I'll post when we have something to show.

Your sprites are awesome btw. I'm a bit confused on how this attack will work though exactly. How will he be propelled? Does this fling him up really high or does he get little or no air?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
So I had two idea to help spread the game by word of mouth.

1) The idea is to reward people for playing others over local wifi battles.

For instance, you play against your friend John. After playing a round, you're rewarded 300 coins each or something. Next time you play him, you only get 20 coins for a round. But say you play a new friend James (just another random name), you would then get 300 coins each again.

So every time you play someone new, you get a bonus. This might make some people go around inviting their friends to buy the app so that they can play them in a match and earn coins.

2) In addition to the event match mode, there will be a co-op event match mode. This would require you playing with a friend on another device so this could increase the chances of someone inviting someone else.

Anyways, here's some pictures of the new characters my friend is making.

On the right is a new sage type character. He's just a concept but here he is.

And here's a picture of tne new Rozan being redone. He isn't finished yet however.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Okay, got LJM's Double jump and Landing sprites down, I'll be able to make his hit and ledge sprites tomorrow. (still have freelance ojt to do later) Just tell me what you guys think:

Bigger Sizes:
http://i.imgur.com/arpc91G.png
http://i.imgur.com/H7zlEJo.png

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 I'm actually happy and relieved everything went great, I even finished my animation short project in time for one of my majors. Never actually messed with video editing or VA work before. Maybe I'll try doing more animated shorts after doing my part for smash clash.

About LJM's kick, I was thinking it would do a small forward arc since it's just a normal attack. Still haven't finalized what he'll be doing for his specials yet. As for the redone character shown, Looks good for the most part. Not so sure about him wearing glasses for a serious character but that's just me. I just need to see more of him to have a better judgment.

Maybe I may have missed a few details but what do the coins do in multiplayer?

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice

Reimagining the character. This character is intended to be 'evil' using magic and melee attacks, maybe even with small summons. She's in her mid 40's I'd say, still a queen, but not the same queen concept we had before. Drew heavy inspiration from Maleficent. Thoughts?

EDIT:

And a lazy resize:

AAAND for the hell of it, the recolor palettes I was showing off on page 5. They'd need work now though, I'm seeing, in the contrast department.

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I really like the pink color scheme. I think the dark purple color looks a bit weird.

Also the new design looks great! Maybe model her after Zelda?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Okay, got LJM's Double jump and Landing sprites down, I'll be able to make his hit and ledge sprites tomorrow. (still have freelance ojt to do later) Just tell me what you guys think:

Bigger Sizes:
http://i.imgur.com/arpc91G.png
http://i.imgur.com/H7zlEJo.png

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 I'm actually happy and relieved everything went great, I even finished my animation short project in time for one of my majors. Never actually messed with video editing or VA work before. Maybe I'll try doing more animated shorts after doing my part for smash clash.

About LJM's kick, I was thinking it would do a small forward arc since it's just a normal attack. Still haven't finalized what he'll be doing for his specials yet. As for the redone character shown, Looks good for the most part. Not so sure about him wearing glasses for a serious character but that's just me. I just need to see more of him to have a better judgment.

Maybe I may have missed a few details but what do the coins do in multiplayer?
Looks great! I'm glad they went well too.

coins would be used to buy new stages or characters. They would also be used to unlock level packs. I was also thinking about adding in a system of one time use power ups to use during single player levels, but it you could only equip like 2

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I really like the pink color scheme. I think the dark purple color looks a bit weird.

Also the new design looks great! Maybe model her after Zelda?
Well shes an old sorceress villain so im keeping the darker theme, so your pretty princess is still in another castle lol

Im thinking a mix of Zelda and Ganondorf for moves with some new ones naturally, including small summons that appear for a few seconds maybe. How many costumes/colors per character? Just 4 or more?

Edit: more complete turning animation

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Okay, Ledge and Hit Sprites are a go-go, what do you think:

Bigger Sizes:
http://i.imgur.com/KT2Eipp.gif
http://i.imgur.com/zvxNpS1.png

If there are no objections, I'll be moving on to his normal attacks. Speaking of which, what can his slip-kick qualify as?

@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Nice, the redesign is looking ace, especially like her bottom purple palette.

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 So how many characters and levels do you have from the start? I know you only plan to have 6 fighters in the mix... Also we haven't even finalized LJM's Special attacks.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I've gotta go to work or I'd keep working today, but I did something pretty awesome:

I contacted the creator of the Legendary Frog series through an email requesting to use his character Ark.

He'd be perfect for the game if LF approves. I'd take care of animating him. It could be mutually beneficial to us and his own site if he approves :)

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Well shes an old sorceress villain so im keeping the darker theme, so your pretty princess is still in another castle lol

Im thinking a mix of Zelda and Ganondorf for moves with some new ones naturally, including small summons that appear for a few seconds maybe. How many costumes/colors per character? Just 4 or more?

Edit: more complete turning animation
Yeah you're right dark is better haha. My pretty princess I guess isn't coming :( lol I've already shown her a number of my friends (and family) and they love her. The pointiness is a nice touch :)

I think Ganondorf will be interesting to but in for her. Maybe the falcon punch equivalent (don't know what the Ganondorf version is called)? I think she should have bats come out at some point too.

I'm thinking about just having 4 colors per character. But an idea might be to allow users to buy new colors with coins. What are your thoughts on this?

Okay, Ledge and Hit Sprites are a go-go, what do you think:

Bigger Sizes:
http://i.imgur.com/KT2Eipp.gif
http://i.imgur.com/zvxNpS1.png

If there are no objections, I'll be moving on to his normal attacks. Speaking of which, what can his slip-kick qualify as?

@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Nice, the redesign is looking ace, especially like her bottom purple palette.

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 So how many characters and levels do you have from the start? I know you only plan to have 6 fighters in the mix... Also we haven't even finalized LJM's Special attacks.
I really like the ledge haha. I'm pretty sure everyone will get a kick out of that face.

So I'm assuming LJM needs to have large jumps. What will compensate for this? Should his attacks be weak, or will he be very light or what? I was thinking he could be slow horizontally, that way he gets a lot of height, but would have trouble moving over.

Ok onto the moveset. The kick as we had before should be his side normal attack aka side-a.
For specials I was thinking....
neutral - No idea. Just not a projectile. Every other character has a projectile so far here.
up - this needs to be a big jump, as his name is LJM haha. Maybe just a large jump with him in a starfish postion looking funny? idk. my little bros came up with that.
down - fart haha kind of like wario
side - no idea either. My brothers want him to roll on the ground haha

That's all I got though for ideas. You're creativity with him has been so good so far. Nice work :)
I've gotta go to work or I'd keep working today, but I did something pretty awesome:

I contacted the creator of the Legendary Frog series through an email requesting to use his character Ark.

He'd be perfect for the game if LF approves. I'd take care of animating him. It could be mutually beneficial to us and his own site if he approves :)
He would be a great addition :)

-------------------------------------

On a side note, I'm starting to contact 3rd party indie developers to get their characters in as assists. I'll have trophies of the characters or something which will display info about them with a link to their original game. This will give promotion to the other game developers so everyone is happy :) So no worries with creating assist characters. I've already contacted a developer from Habbo Swat (http://habboswat.com/) and we are working to create stages with them and use a UFO they created as an assist :) Exciting stuff :)

I'm hoping this will open the door to more partnerships down the road. I'd like Smash Clash to feature lots of indie games to be a source for indies to get their game promoted :)

Last but not least, I have AP exams coming in the next few weeks. After May 12th (I think) I'll be all done and I'll start wrapping this game up (programmatically that is...if that's a word).

Hopefully we get the new forum up soon too.

Great job guys, keep up the good work :)

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I think Ganondorf will be interesting to but in for her. Maybe the falcon punch equivalent (don't know what the Ganondorf version is called)? I think she should have bats come out at some point too.
That sounds good to me :D

EDIT: Actually, funny you mentioned bats, I was thinking the bats could be her way of gliding up with her up-b or something

I'm thinking about just having 4 colors per character. But an idea might be to allow users to buy new colors with coins. What are your thoughts on this?
That sounds awesome actually. Maybe even completely alternate costumes, not just colors.

I've already contacted a developer from Habbo Swat (http://habboswat.com/) and we are working to create stages with them and use a UFO they created as an assist :) Exciting stuff :)
Isn't that just a guild from Habbo Hotel though? Not sure I understand that one, but if there's no copyright worries sounds good :D

Also, I was wondering how you're planning on handling handheld weapons, like baseball bats or a bomb or whatever?

We'd probably have to come up with a handful of directional sprites for each weapon and make a seperate solid sprite for each animation of each user using the items if you're planning on doing this.

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
That sounds awesome actually. Maybe even completely alternate costumes, not just colors.
How much work is it to make those? Would it be doable by launch? I like the idea.

Isn't that just a guild from Habbo Hotel though? Not sure I understand that one, but if there's no copyright worries sounds good :D
I'm not really sure what they are to tell you the truth. I at first thought they were just a simple game company but after I posted that last post I'm a bit confused what they are. But either way they're giving me rights to use some of their assists.

Also, I was wondering how you're planning on handling handheld weapons, like baseball bats or a bomb or whatever?
I'm probably going to have to have the handheld items float over the character who's holding it. I could try to make it look like the character is holding it but I'm a bit stumped on how to do it.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
How much work is it to make those? Would it be doable by launch? I like the idea.
It wouldn't be hard at all after the sets are finished. You choose the design/accessories for the alternate costume and go in and edit each sprite to have that look :)

I'm not really sure what they are to tell you the truth. I at first thought they were just a simple game company but after I posted that last post I'm a bit confused what they are. But either way they're giving me rights to use some of their assists.
Looking into it, it seems it's just that. You may want to contact them about this issue because it seems like they're a group of fans of another game.

I'm probably going to have to have the handheld items float over the character who's holding it. I could try to make it look like the character is holding it but I'm a bit stumped on how to do it.
We the spriters would have to take the time after the baseball bat(for instance) was made and give our sprites the same bat for every character to make it look right.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'll look into the rights for the assets.

Ok here's the problem I'm seeing. Say we had 5 handheld items. Would this mean we would need to have 5 sprite sheets times 4 costume sprite sheets per character? So like 20 per character? This would take a lot of time and not to mention a lot of memory in the phone (which it can't handle).

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think the alternate costume would be great for the original design of the princess.
My pretty princess I guess isn't coming :( lol I've already shown her a number of my friends (and family) and they love her.
lol :p

Also should there be a new menu option for the coins? Like a smash shop or something where you can buy stuff with your coins?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Also should there be a new menu option for the coins? Like a smash shop or something where you can buy stuff with your coins?
A shop would be a great idea :) What to sell there is the question. Here's some I already want in there.
- Characters
- Stages
- Level packs (like singleplayer levels)
- Costumes
- Possibly have power ups to use in singleplayer. Like one could make you jump high, or run fast, or have more powerful attacks

Any other ideas?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
A shop would be a great idea :) What to sell there is the question. Here's some I already want in there.
- Characters
- Stages
- Level packs (like singleplayer levels)
- Costumes
- Possibly have power ups to use in singleplayer. Like one could make you jump high, or run fast, or have more powerful attacks

Any other ideas?
Hmm...
-Item packs
-Music
-Harder difficulty option
that's all I got.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Ok here's the problem I'm seeing. Say we had 5 handheld items. Would this mean we would need to have 5 sprite sheets times 4 costume sprite sheets per character? So like 20 per character? This would take a lot of time and not to mention a lot of memory in the phone (which it can't handle).
Actually, not necessarily. You could make the image a transparent overlay that's the size of the entire sheet per character and the bat lays over where it would rest. That way, the same image is used for one character's different costumes, but another sheet of the same weapon would be used for a different character.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
How about handheld items that don't require extra animation from the fighters? For example one of them could be an orbital sheild that just clips to a character until enough damage has been sustained, or how about a bomb or "turret" that one player can pick up and place on a specific spot?

Also, what of the Support characters, are they still in the game? How many do you plan to include?

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
How about handheld items that don't require extra animation from the fighters? For example one of them could be an orbital sheild that just clips to a character until enough damage has been sustained, or how about a bomb or "turret" that one player can pick up and place on a specific spot?

Also, what of the Support characters, are they still in the game? How many do you plan to include?
I second this, it could be really cool to have that on top of the other items.

Also, I don't have my PS3 controller anymore (I left it at a friend's house before I moved :/ ) but I plan to get it back. The last demo of Smash Clash I played worked really well with a controller. Do you think we'll be able to see controller support integrated? It would be great not only for phones and tablets, but it would translate into having this game playable on the Ouya, which could mean money. :D

EDIT: After zooming out to 66% on my Fireworks program, I found how creepy this character can really look lol...

I wonder if it'll look like that in the real game? Or do you think it won't jdawg?

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Haha I like the creepiness. Did you have to post this before bed?

Yes Ouya will be supported. I will look into Android controller support eventually....I know Corona supports some of them.

This will be a great solution. I do think we should have one or two handheld items though as those are a lot of fun. The shield I will implement first, because, well, it's a good stepping stone.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I had to reformat my tablet a month ago or so, and I just re-downloaded that January alpha release.

Some things I'm noting now that I didn't then: the area's zone or 'box' the whole stage fits into is too big. (When a character would normally get knocked out of the stage in Smash, there's too much play room right now IMO, and you should keep the brown character as an assist or something, or at least a practice dummy. Might need respriting to fit the new pixel style.

Before release if you'd like some character selection portraits, I can do these vector images relatively easy if you have nothing else.

Redid her face, will probably redo it again too lol... gotta perfect it before I do all the animations.

For $159 USD you can Trademark "Smash Clash".
- Online mode removed (it is nearly impossible to find a low latency multiplayer service for mobile games)
Is that still in effect?

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I liked the sound of a push move, like Isaac in Brawl. By the way, I really like your dark sorceress character! If Smash Clash becomes popular enough, I could make some promotional material for the game. You know, short little comic strips and stuff. One story could have the Sorceress and her army of dark creatures go up against Queenie and her army of Linguine Knights.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Will the Queenie still be a support character? As a separate character?
I believe @ InnerMobius InnerMobius and I decided she would be a full character. Is this still what the plan is?

Is that still in effect?
Yes. There was about a 0.25 second lag when sending a message to another device...the lowest I could get it to was 0.2 secs. I'm going to have to find a better solution (I was using Photon Cloud). Until then I'm going to work on local WiFi battles, which has barely any lag. :D

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I believe @ InnerMobius InnerMobius and I decided she would be a full character. Is this still what the plan is?
Well, the sorceress was kinda taking her place lol.

Yes. There was about a 0.25 second lag when sending a message to another device...the lowest I could get it to was 0.2 secs. I'm going to have to find a better solution (I was using Photon Cloud). Until then I'm going to work on local WiFi battles, which has barely any lag. :D
That sounds pretty cool actually, it'll be like the oldschool gameboy days where you have to actually be in the same room as someone to fight against them :D

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
I added a chefs hat to the Rev up those fryers move. When Mr. Randoms uses the move, it'll automatically goes on, and when the move stops, it automatically goes away. Added some grease particles to show better movement and make it look like he's cooking.

One of the items that can come out of the fryer basket is a random bomb. I'm still thinking of things that could be good to include (Though something spiky and a leg might just work well :3)

And here's Mr. Randoms hanging from the ledge. I wanted to make it something random and unique, so I made his body stretch. Does this look good, or does it need to be shorten a bit. As for his missing arm, still concepting where it would look best.

EDIT: Added his arm in

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The old Queenie design should still be a support character, while the evil sorceress character should be playable.

I also have several cool assist character ideas I want to share:

THE PROPSTER A tribute to the online modding community, a character who looks a bit like a cross between Indiana Jones and Clayton from Tarzan appears from the assist trophy, then disappears. Various random props, such as a toilet, a chair, a table and a palm tree appear on the stage, on of which is actually the Propster in disguise. If the player touches a wrong prop, it explodes on contact, but if the player touches the right prop, the Propster appears and restores that players health.

NUKEY THE NUKE
A comical looking nuclear weapon with a cartoony face, legs and arms appears on the stage, them explodes violently, killing everyone on the stage. He should be the rarest assist character to appear because of his power.

MIKE THE SOLDIER A tribute to action games of the 90s, a buff looking dude by the name of Mike appears on the screen and shoots a large minigun in a straight line for a few seconds.

BRACHIO A miniature brachiosaurus appears on the screen and stomps on the ground, causing a tremor that buries opponents into the ground. This attack acts similarly to that Pokeball that I can't remember the name of. Metagross was it? I dunno.

DonaldDuck

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I was looking around to see if this game was still alive after the kickstarter was canceled. I put in a beta request and yeah. :D

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
@ C CrossoverMan : I like the idea of Nukey being an assist, but his chances would have to be like .5% that he'd show up or something lol.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I was looking around to see if this game was still alive after the kickstarter was canceled. I put in a beta request and yeah. :D
Yep, the game's still in production, no worries. :)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms This is looking great!! I'm super excited to play as him. Keep up the awesome work :)

@ C CrossoverMan Great ideas. I like the minigun idea.

The kickstarter failed because we did not have awesome artists like we do now, so nobody could see potential in the game. Also we didn't promote it enough. But yes, the game is alive and well as InnerMobius stated. I'll add you to the alpha test soon :)

Top Bottom