• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input. I'll post later about this issue when I have time haha.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Oh my god InnerMobius, thank you for making that! If you could make her teeth a little bigger and give her even squintier eyes then that would be perfect! Queenie Linguine may be the next challenger...

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god InnerMobius, thank you for making that! If you could make her teeth a little bigger and give her even squintier eyes then that would be perfect! Queenie Linguine may be the next challenger...

Better? :)

EDIT:

I have to leave for a while, but I started throwing together a body for her(without arms yet).

Trying to keep it simple at least for now until all the poses are made, then extra details can be added if necessary.

I know it needs work, just a progress report.

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
So she's going to be one of those bulky fighter types I see? The head is great, though I think it would look somewhat better if the upper lip was a bit thicker. Like cut 1 pixel length off the top of the teeth. I'll save my feedback on the body till you finish everything but so far its turning out pretty well.

Also, thanks for the tidbits you gave about spriting a character, I found it to be helpful in finishing most of the unnamed Smokey character's spritesheet.

Daedra

vibing
Damn this seems pretty cool, unfortunately I have an iOS device, but i'll definitely still be checking in on what's going on. Keep up the work this is a great idea.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
That may work, but would definitely interfere with hard-button controls.

Also, another bug pertaining to those controls is Flare doesn't have the ability to move side-to-side midair with hard-mapped directional buttons

EDIT: Cabunga Toons, no offense man, really and honestly don't take personal offense to this, but those images are just horrid... they're not really sprites, just small mspaint drawings. You should look up some tutorials on spriting and try again.

This is something I was working on before I left for my road trip (which I'm currently still on) that matches the other two character's graphic style:

Crossoverman's Queenie Linguine concept was (loosely)used as the basis for this, and sure it's just one single head sprite but it's just an example for now. I think the character ideas should be submitted as single 'Wait' sprites to be judged by the fans here before a pixel artist spends too much time on making all the poses for a character just for it to be "boo'd offstage" so to speak.

Just to explain a little further how this matches the art style of the characters shown:

When placed next to Flare or Karakato's character, the pixel aspect ratio is the same. That means that the sprite will seem natural next to the others. Each pixel is the same size as the pixels on another character.

There are limited palettes. I believe I have 4 skin tones for her, and usually you use 3. 4 can work if you need it. Sprites for the most part only have 16 colors (unless it's for a newer generation game, which this is, and I'm sure this will be an exception to that rule.) Notice that Black is only used on the outline and for showing contrast for SOME features, not all. And there aren't random 2x2 squares of black, that looks very sloppy.

When your sprite is animated, as it naturally will be by turning left and right and using different moves, things need to line up. The eyes and mouth are the first thing that you can see in your sprites that don't work, automatically. They're not even relatively on the same part of the face. You may find making sprites in at least 3 directions (left, down(toward camera) and right) in walking animations and turning it into a GIF may help you with this.

Another thing to look out for is blurry sprites. Right now I've yet to see a crisp/clean version of Flare (in-game and spritesheet I was supplied with were both blurry)

This happens by resizing the sprites in photoshop or another such program with antialiasing on usually. The best way to resize a sprite, if you have to at all, is to go into paint and resize it by numbers like 200%, 300%, etc etc. That way when you need to make it smaller again, you end up with your original sprite instead of a blob of colors that somewhat resembles your pixel art.

Here's an example:

Notice Flare has boxes around him and nothing is quite as crisp as on the other two characters.

To keep this game consistently looking great, all of these things have to be taken into consideration, so long as you're using 2D sprites.

This is another great point, but not always true. For mid and small size characters, a 60x60 px box for each frame of animation is perfect, but when creating heavy characters (like Bowser for instance) you'd need to add to it, yet keep the pixel-size ratio the same as the other characters. this is especially important because of Smash Clash's dynamic camera, where you can zoom in and see the characters better.

EDIT AGAIN:

To elaborate on the pixel-aspect ratio even further, here's a diagram. This is what you DONT want to see with pixel comparisons for different characters. You want each "1PX" to be the same size on both characters at all times, allow for the dynamic camera to be the only thing that changes this.

Otherwise, Crossoverman's observation would not change.
I figured out why Flare was blurry. I had compressed a lot of the images in the game because it was over 50mg (can't upload to Google play if it's that big). This is be fixed soon. The stages were also blurred because of this.

@CabungaToons 's character isn't being animated right now. There are also issues right now with rights as he didn't specify whether he was allowed to use this character (apparently the green guy is called "Eddie" from an animated series). So CabungaToons and I would need to sort that out.

Also the picture with the grey and green character in it were made on a photoshop application on my android while I was bored. That's why the size of the pictures don't match up. It was just to get a feel of what they would look like in game. I'll work on scaling them more correctly too so the pixels line up.

awesome work btw @ InnerMobius InnerMobius

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Pretty cool that we have a crossover character already! CabungaToons is apparently an official thing, soooo....

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice

Just an update, reformed her body and face since now I'm back from my road trip and I have a little more time to be delicate. Still needs arms lol.

EDIT: The example with Peach's colors looks like the German woman in 50 First Dates lmao

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Now that I'm thinking about it, she may need to be shorter. Does this look bad, anyone? I think I may go with the shorter ones.

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
She's looking pretty good (though not in a beautiful kind of way) I was thinking what if her head was a bit lower she would look bulkier and squat something like the Bean Queen from the Mario and Luigi RPG game. I dunno, it would make her seem less dainty and girly and more of a brute. Also I think her animation needs something more. Try making her arms (and maybe head) move independently from her body as she moves up and down. Also do you think you can make her pole move at different angles, though just a bit?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Could I get a request? (I actually have this game on my phone BTW.)

Can I get a Lucario in a Goku outfit? :D

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius I don't really like how her face is ugly. Am I the only one who thinks that? Why not just have a pretty princess character in the game?

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius I don't really like how her face is ugly. Am I the only one who thinks that? Why not just have a pretty princess character in the game?
I was just going on CrossoverMan's suggestion. If I completely redesigned her she may look weird, but if you want that I'll give it a go.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
I kinda like that there's a non pretty female fighter, like a satire to the cliche of pretty princesses. There's still a slot anyway for the inevitable busty female character. One of which is a Neko girl of the handful of character concepts I plan to sprite after I finish the unnamed Smoky character.

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 did you get the dropbox link I shared to you the other day and were the files in perfect quality?

EDIT: Concerning how some are not comfy with the Queen's design. Would she look better if her Buck teeth were toned down?

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I don't really want her to be changed. The ugliness is intentional, and to parody pretty princesses like Peach. Why not include a normal pretty princess in the game as a separate character? If we just keep with all the generic gaming stereotypes thiugh, the game could lose its appeal.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
And isn't making all of the women pretty a rather bad message to people? Not every woman in videogames has to look like a model.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm not too fond of the name either honestly but the concept I am in favor of.

Original -> Smaller mouth with different upper lip -> small mouth closed.

I think the middle and right ones look better and can go together, opinions?

Last edited:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Yes, the middle sprite does look better. What if you were to lower the head a little bit similar to the post I made earlier? Would a squat/ bulkier look suit her? As for her name, I too think she needs to have it changed.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Being a parody of the Queen, I think her head being a little higher adds to her stuck-up pompousness. If the general consensus is to lower it, sure thing. :p

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Actually, I was thinking that the higher posture makes her seem majestic and prim/proper. Adding to the slouch/stubbiness only clashes to that perception of a Royal family member.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius That looks great though will her body also turn slightly sideways too? Also as for the name, I think it should reflect her purple color and ugly looks and her staff... How about, Queen Poisma or the Royal Paine? Still need to hear from the main dev if he approves though.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Those names sound alright, but I don't know if any of those names would fit on the select screen. I mean, most people are going to be playing this game on a tiny screen remember. Perhaps Queenie could have a sprite clone character with one of those names? I like the Royal Paine.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius That looks great though will her body also turn slightly sideways too?
of course, I only showed what the head looked like on a body :p

EDIT:

Here ya go, actually. :p

I realize there are black spots on that gif that shouldn't be there (mainly in the teeth) but it's just the gif, not the sprites themselves.

EDIT 2:
(Just to compare with Karakato's GIF)

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Before you animate anymore, I think we need to work on the face. I'm thinking more like the character of the fairy godmother from shrek.

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Yes I did. I haven't had time to look at them though. These next few weeks are really busy for me. I should be able to get back to work on the game after this.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Before you animate anymore, I think we need to work on the face. I'm thinking more like the character of the fairy godmother from shrek.

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Yes I did. I haven't had time to look at them though. These next few weeks are really busy for me. I should be able to get back to work on the game after this.
Can we please have a pretty fairy godmother as a separate character, because I think Queenie looks perfect at the moment, and I think most other people agree.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I still prefer the uglier one, but here's what it looks like:

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Uglier one please. That was the whole point of this design. InnerMobius, for the love of god and mary jesus, do not change her.

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 what do you hate about her face? She is meant to be an ugly character.

Top Bottom