• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'm back guys! :D Just finished three AP exams!! So I'm hitting the ground running and already have the recovery move finished. Watch the new video of it in action!! Also I would like the announce that I've added several character-specific variables such as gravity, speed, weight, air-speed, friction, air friction, etc. so that each character can have a different "feel".

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'm back guys! :D Just finished three AP exams!! So I'm hitting the ground running and already have the recovery move finished. Watch the new video of it in action!! Also I would like the announce that I've added several character-specific variables such as gravity, speed, weight, air-speed, friction, air friction, etc. so that each character can have a different "feel".

MVP

Smash Ace
this is looking very promising, keep up the good work! :)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Thanks MVP! :)

Sorry no update yet! It's just not ready yet! I'm telling you guys though, this is looking better and better. I'm almost sure the next version will be ready before school is out :D Check out the new fall through platforms. Works like a charm! I also made slow motion and speed up effects! Here is the video.

Funny story about the whole slow mo deal. I was struggling with the problem for awhile because whenever it went into slow motion, the characters would jump twice as high, and whenever it speed up, the characters would jump half as high. Sounds like an easy problem to solve right? Well actually, I ended up having to talk to my Calculus teacher about it. She gave me a Calculus equation which didn't really help much because I needed code, but then some nerd came the rescue in class and translated it into code for me! Yay!! So thank God for calculus guys!!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Finally! The new update is available to download. Check the first post to see the video link and download link. This one you won't want to miss out one!! If you have any suggestions on what I should build next for the next update, PM me or post down here. Also I am in need of a new name for the game because I cannot simply call is "iSmash Bros" because of copyright issues....and we want to be able to have this game in the App Store and Play Store so yeah. Send me any idea you have for a name and it just might be used!

And one last announcement! I'm working with aniforlife from deviantart.com to create the characters for this game. He is very talented and you all will be pleased to see his work in the game.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Hope you guys liked that last update! Version 0.2 is on its way in full development speed! Expect to see it finished this month! Here are some confirmed updates it will have!

Future updates:
- Menu sound effects
- Fixed glitch where background moves away from screen
- Screen flashes
- Finalized in-game camera
- Explosion effect when character dies
- Game timer
- hit boxes (this allows you to actually hit enemies!)
- flinch and knockback
- locally save data on your phone/tablet
- Side attack
- Neutral attack
- Improved character selection screen
- On screen stats like health and lives
- Adjust size of buttons
- D Pad (joystick will remain optional in settings)
- Multiplayer that actually works
- Test projectile
- More advance attack movements
- Pan and zoom by dragging and pitching during pause
- Credit screen
- One person on a ledge at a time

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Character art made by my brother. Because characters will cost about $500-$2,000 to be done professionally, we might now to do them ourselves. If you can help out please PM me. Also tell me what you think about this "Rag Doll" character :D

Attachments

MrMax

Smash Rookie
I like the rag doll character. Also, I'm sorry that I cannot donate, I'm only 15 years old :/

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@MrMax Thanks for the feedback. It's okay I'm 17 so I know the feeling haha

The new official name is Smash Clash!

Follow us on Facebook here !

And be sure to follow the dev blog for more detailed updates and downloads here!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Version 0.2 beta is out!
Download it on the dev blog here!
Or download it directly here for Android!
Or watch the youtube video below

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Decent looking wip Smash game and it's only for phones. Why.
Guess I'll just pretend this doesn't exist.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
There's already Smash flash and Smash crusade for PC (Smash flash being generally better).]
I think Crusade is better than smash flash. But I guess it just comes down to preference.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I think Crusade is better than smash flash. But I guess it just comes down to preference.
I hate both of them without ever playing either, but from what was described by my friend as well as watching video is where I draw Flash being better.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Decent looking wip Smash game and it's only for phones. Why.
Guess I'll just pretend this doesn't exist.
There's already plenty of games like Smash for the computer. This game aims to bring that experience to you while you're out and about.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
There's already plenty of games like Smash for the computer. This game aims to bring that experience to you while you're out and about.
Then why not release it for both phone and PC?
You have to test the game on a PC in the first place right? Is it really such a drastic option?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Then why not release it for both phone and PC?
You have to test the game on a PC in the first place right? Is it really such a drastic option?
You could play it through an Android emulator if you really wanted, although I'm thinking he might have an easy export to .exe option

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@Mr Lange @SpiderMad

I'm using Corona SDK to dev the game. It comes with a simulator for the computer but I've already contacted them and they have stated there is currently no way to develop for PC/Mac. Hopefully they will change that in the future. Also, what do you guys think of a port to OUYA?

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
@Mr Lange @SpiderMad

I'm using Corona SDK to dev the game. It comes with a simulator for the computer but I've already contacted them and they have stated there is currently no way to develop for PC/Mac. Hopefully they will change that in the future. Also, what do you guys think of a port to OUYA?
I thought Android games already work on Ouya but then again I don't know much about the subject. Don't have a "smartphone", can't afford one, will probably never get one. It's really, really disheartening when great games only come out for those, which as gaming devices go should always be low on the priority list, unless of course you're just making some mediocre "casual" game.

I've heard of BlueStacks but I've also heard it's a piece of ****. Any other options then?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I actually love this so much. This is looking REALLY promising. Full speed ahead buddy, gonna throw in 5 for ya on the kickstarter.

EDIT: oh you cancelled it. anywhere else i can donate?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@Mr Lange
OUYA would require some extra changes such as the ability to use the OUYA controller. Not only that, but allow multiple players to play on one system. Also if you would like a computer version, just try to convince the Corona SDK developers to add this and I'll be happy to make it ;)

@[TSON]
Thanks for the support! I'll set up a donate system soon.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
YES YES YES! This is amazing! I played it for a half hour straight on my Kindle Fire earlier! Great job man, keep going! Just let me list a few problems and concerns.

-The AI is a bit buggy. When they get on the ledge, they don't seem to wanna get off, so you need to force them off the ledge. Also, if they are after an enemy that's on a ledge, they just crouch at the ledge forever. Other than that, the AI is great!

-The multiplayer doesn't work at all. One one screen, my coin would be on Mario, and on the other it would be slightly to the right of Mario. When I tried to start the game it said "Loading" forever and never started.

-It's kinda hard to not up tilt or down tilt. If the joystick is just the slightest bit up/down, it will do an up/down tilt attack. It's just a little annoying when I wanna f-air to spike him, but I do my u-air instead.

-The f-air is overpowered as it hits multiple times if you hit it right. I can do around 50 damage in one attack if I get the perfect timing.

-The game doesn't end. When the timer hits 0, it goes negative.

-The attacks don't seem to send them forward as much as they should, it seems like they just mostly go up, completely eliminating having to attempt to recover back onto the stage.

-On the one-way-platforms, if you jump straight into the side of the platform, you will appear to be standing inside the platform with your legs dangling underneath.

Now I know this is an early build and there's bound to be lots of problems, just giving you a heads up so you can improve them. Also, I could help out with graphics if you need. I cant really sprite (I'll practice and see what I can do), but I could definitely do menus and what not.

Again, great job on the game. Can't wait for more updates! :D

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I actually love this so much. This is looking REALLY promising. Full speed ahead buddy, gonna throw in 5 for ya on the kickstarter.

EDIT: oh you cancelled it. anywhere else i can donate?
I've created a PayPal you can donate to on the dev blog. Thanks for the support!

YES YES YES! This is amazing! I played it for a half hour straight on my Kindle Fire earlier! Great job man, keep going! Just let me list a few problems and concerns.

-The AI is a bit buggy. When they get on the ledge, they don't seem to wanna get off, so you need to force them off the ledge. Also, if they are after an enemy that's on a ledge, they just crouch at the ledge forever. Other than that, the AI is great!

-The multiplayer doesn't work at all. One one screen, my coin would be on Mario, and on the other it would be slightly to the right of Mario. When I tried to start the game it said "Loading" forever and never started.

-It's kinda hard to not up tilt or down tilt. If the joystick is just the slightest bit up/down, it will do an up/down tilt attack. It's just a little annoying when I wanna f-air to spike him, but I do my u-air instead.

-The f-air is overpowered as it hits multiple times if you hit it right. I can do around 50 damage in one attack if I get the perfect timing.

-The game doesn't end. When the timer hits 0, it goes negative.

-The attacks don't seem to send them forward as much as they should, it seems like they just mostly go up, completely eliminating having to attempt to recover back onto the stage.

-On the one-way-platforms, if you jump straight into the side of the platform, you will appear to be standing inside the platform with your legs dangling underneath.

Now I know this is an early build and there's bound to be lots of problems, just giving you a heads up so you can improve them. Also, I could help out with graphics if you need. I cant really sprite (I'll practice and see what I can do), but I could definitely do menus and what not.

Again, great job on the game. Can't wait for more updates! :D
Wow! This has been the best feedback I've gotten. Thanks dude! I've only seen about a few of the bugs myself, so some of them that you pointed out are new to me. I'll try to crank out all the bug fixes for these before the next version. Also, the multiplayer is supposed to only work for local wifi on the character select screen. It might take until version .3 before you will be about to actually fight your friends on other devices.... Also PM me if you want to help with graphics.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'm up late tonight suffering for you guys. Local wifi games are getting close to completion. I just spent the last four hours setting up the hosting and joining system and allowing them to select characters and stages together. All while being able to handle a character randomly dropping out.

So wish me luck as I now go into the dreaded waters of syncing two devices while in-game.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Version 0.2.5 is out!
Download here!!
Dev blog update here!!
Like us on Facebook!!
Follow us on Twitter!!

I've worked really hard on this one! Hopefully you guys like it! Also, if you find any bugs, please post them on here or email me at impactgamesstudio [at] gmail.com (replace [at] with @ of course).

Also watch the youtube video if you like. Note the slow frame rate is due to the video recording software, not the game. The actual game runs at 60 FPS.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Recently I've began working with aniforlife from Deviant Art, and I must say, his work has been far past spectacular. Here is a sneak peak of the new character he is making for Smash Clash.

His work is great so do him a favor and visit him at http://aniforlife.deviantart.com/ and "watch" him or whatever following is called on Deviant Art.

Also, this character has yet to be named. He will use punches, kicks and fire to fight. If you have any name suggestions comment them here, PM me or send me a message at impactgamesstudio [at] gmail.com (replace [at] with @).

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

4nace

Smash Ace
Very cool stuff man. Don't have time to play/give full feedback but hopefully i'll be able to check it out and give it some time when you get the original character in.

Keep up the great work.

-Dan

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@4nace Thanks! The next public build will contain a completely original character and Mario will be out. ( he's my profile pic btw) He is about halfway animated so far so in looking forward to seeing him finished!

@dettadeus you doubted me? Haha

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
School is starting back up soon sadly, but no worries, Smash Clash is still full steam ahead in development. There will be less time on my part for programming the game, but I'm contacting more and more artists to get more content in the game. If you would like to help out please PM me! Anything from stage, characters, backgrounds, particles, items, you name it is needed! We want Smash Clash to be the most fun as possible when it is officially released for iOS and Android!

Here's a screenshot of what you guys have to look forward to! Mario, however, will be completely removed for beta 0.3.

Also I want to announce that the final version of Smash Clash will include an online mode where you can instantly connect to random players. It will also have a ranking system that will allow you to see how you match against others in the world!

Visit the blog to read about updates and see a list of every update coming in beta 0.3!

Peace.

SMASH CLASH
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Email us at impactgamesstudio [at] gmail.com
Blog http://impactgamesstudio.blogspot.com/

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Well Smashboards is finally back, and there is a lot which has changed with Smash Clash. Particularly, the game physics. I completely erased all of the code for attack handling, that is, what happens when you get hit. I started over and it is about 10X better. I'm finding this new feel to be almost impossible to see, but you will feel it when you actually play. It also makes it easier to be more competitive in a multiplayer match (btw, please post or PM me if you have had success with it. I have, I just haven't heard of others trying it).

I'm hoping to have 0.3 out before November, but with classes this may be a struggle. Good news is the longer it takes to make, the more characters you'll have! Aniforlife is already working on character his 2nd character and Brian just finished his Ragdoll character.

Twitter has boomed over the past few weeks! We now hit over 100 followers! Give us a follow for special updates I normally don't post here or on the blog.

Peace.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@Nominate10 Thanks for notifying me. I've gotten to latest version back up and just stopped the old ones (nobody wants those anyway). Also do us a favor and start to spread this game. Share it with friends and family. Tell people at school/work. We want to have a strong base for multiplayer when it is released!

Top Bottom