• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget to follow @SmashClash on twitter for exclusive updates! Already went from 100 to 200 followers in a little over a week! We need a strong user base for the multiplayer launch of Smash Clash so retweet, tell your friends and get excited!

Check out twitter now to see a picture of an early version of the new menu screen!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Need for IOS
iOS doesn't allow for 3rd party installs, so I can't build for it until I'm ready to put it on the app store. I will not pursue jailbreak solutions (as not everyone has jailbreak). iOS will, however, be supported in the full game release.

Quick update btw. School's been rough lately, especially with college applications...but I have decided I'll always spend a little time on Smash Clash every night. Currently, we have a second character in the works. He's fully animated, fully coded and even has separate physics (weight, speed etc.) It just takes time to tweak things about him until its right. The new menu screen is beautiful and works perfect. I'm implementing an actual singleplayer mode and a freeplay mode. Mutliplayer is in a tough spot right now. The API I used was defective, so I'm going to have to find a new one which works better. On the bright side, this means I have to start from the beginning, which means the final product will be better (I'll probably do a better job second time around). As for stages, we have a total of three right now and if an artists out there want their stage in Smash Clash PM me. And the best addiction to the game was the new collision physics. When you are hit with an attack, you can feel it. It took forever but there is finally this oomph to it. You have to play it to see what I mean.

You guys have been awesome! Smash Clash gets about 2 downloads a day and has had over 200 downloads! Twitter is exploding as we already have about 400 followers! So much more than I thought for a simple beta! Continue to tell your friends about this and get the word out!

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
It says the Kickstarter is cancelled? But this game could have been awesome! You could have had expies of existing Smash Bros characters, like a blue cuboid fighter named Roundy, or a slow heavy badger named Chronic.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
It says the Kickstarter is cancelled? But this game could have been awesome! You could have had expies of existing Smash Bros characters, like a blue cuboid fighter named Roundy, or a slow heavy badger named Chronic.
We are planning to start another crowd-funding campaign later when we have more people behind us. Don't worry, we are still working on it and instead of working on graphics (which require money from Kickstarter) we are right now focusing on game physics, speed and the overall generally feel of the game.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Releasing beta 0.3 in early November. Get ready for some Smash Clash awesomeness!

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
This looks friggin awesome hoping for Moga support tho playing a fighter with a touch screen sounds HORRIBLE

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
This looks friggin awesome hoping for Moga support tho playing a fighter with a touch screen sounds HORRIBLE
Agreed. I'm working hard to make it as painless as possible. It takes some getting used to though. Also the program I'm using says they support OUYA, Green Throttle, GameStick, and NVIDIA SHIELD. So if anyone has one of these things, PM me and we can see if we can get it working. :D

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Smash Clash 0.3 is available for download at impactgamesstudio.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

I would seriously try this, it's like 20x better than the last version. ;)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Zach has made a great video review of Smash Clash! Check it out, give him a like and subscribe and enjoy!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Working on the singleplayer mode! It's going to be sort of like event match from Smash Brothers mixed with a stage selection layout like Angry Birds. PM or post a reply here about ideas you have. Right now I'm thinking about having break the target levels, normal battles, maybe a "king of the hill" level, a soccer level and some other ideas. You can get up to three stars per level (or something similar) and if you get 3 stars you unlock something! It would just be a really fun way to unlock stuff in the game such a new characters, stages, trophies (awards or badges or achievements, not sure yet) or maybe just coins. Now's the times to give some ideas before I start finalizing the design.

Early picture of it is attached. The icons are just there just to start. The graphics will be upped later.

Peace out.

Attachments

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
This looks great. Once you have a lot of progress on this, you should talk to other Indie devs to see if they'd like to have their characters in the game. This could lead to a lot of attention for your game, and potentially sponsors(other game devs) to help finish your game.

Also, will this be available for Ouya?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
This looks great. Once you have a lot of progress on this, you should talk to other Indie devs to see if they'd like to have their characters in the game. This could lead to a lot of attention for your game, and potentially sponsors(other game devs) to help finish your game.

Also, will this be available for Ouya?
Love that idea. Any ideas of smaller indie games I could start with? I doubt the more successful ones would care right now.

I'm planning on developing for Ouya. I don't have one myself so I'd have to buy one, which would require $$$ xD But I'm sure I'll port it to Ouya soon after the mobile release :)

Btw, there's only a few spots left in the alpha (I like like 3 or 4) so sign up for it at here!

And the next version, 0.3.1.0 will be released when I get 2,000 followers on twitter which is at twitter.com/SmashClash

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Love that idea. Any ideas of smaller indie games I could start with? I doubt the more successful ones would care right now.
I'm planning on developing for Ouya. I don't have one myself so I'd have to buy one, which would require $$$ xD But I'm sure I'll port it to Ouya soon after the mobile release :)
Yeah I don't have an ouya yet either but I want one, especially if there's a decent smash clone on it :D

As for which indie games to look at, I have no idea. I thought Super Meat Boy would be a cool character lol. Maybe after you finish enough you can show the devs from that and they can tell you what they think.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Yeah! Crossover characters is a great idea! You don't have to limit it to app characters either, you can just ring any indie media developer up and ask if you can use their characters.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
It's been attempted before and even had a ton of great sprites made. They also got permission from a lot of indie games:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=29.0

Also in terms of an indie smash game, you might have some other competition coming your way soon :p
I'll look at it. Maybe they'll let me borrow some sprites :D

Also the competition I've seen so far is pretty lame....I tested Fright Fight, and it's a far cry from any sort of fun fast paced game their audience is looking for.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Yeah! Crossover characters is a great idea! You don't have to limit it to app characters either, you can just ring any indie media developer up and ask if you can use their characters.
And stages! I bet the team at Skull Girls would like to include a character if this is cool enough :)

It's been attempted before and even had a ton of great sprites made. They also got permission from a lot of indie games:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=29.0

Also in terms of an indie smash game, you might have some other competition coming your way soon :p
That's cool and all, but it doesn't seem like they got very far. They stopped posting halfway through last year. (I know how hard it can be over time to finish making a game... I have a few skeletons in my closet personally haha)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Oh stages!!! Imagine the Impossible Game as a stage! Here's a pic of the game if you don't remember.

Or we could have levels from Gravity Guy, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, Limbo, Cut the Rope. Maybe simple ones from Bubble Ball. Or heck, even make a level that has a scabble board like from Words With Friends.

Of course, most will probably reject the rights for making such stages....

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
@ InnerMobius InnerMobius Oh stages!!! Imagine the Impossible Game as a stage! Here's a pic of the game if you don't remember.

Or we could have levels from Gravity Guy, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, Limbo, Cut the Rope. Maybe simple ones from Bubble Ball. Or heck, even make a level that has a scabble board like from Words With Friends.

Of course, most will probably reject the rights for making such stages....
Yeah, I was going to say you might be getting a little too ambitious there bud! :psycho: Perhaps you could use some cross promotion for other products and stuff if the game gets popular enough.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
That would be dope hahaha :D One dev team I'd say would be open to your game is the team from Pier Solar, a new sega genesis game that was recently made which is/was ported to Android and Ouya. It's an RPG but it's a completely original game.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was going to say you might be getting a little too ambitious there bud! :psycho: Perhaps you could use some cross promotion for other products and stuff if the game gets popular enough.
Yeah I was kinda getting carried away haha :p

@ InnerMobius InnerMobius sure I'll look into that.

Right now, I'm just going to move forward with the game. I'm going to do an update for alpha testers in the coming days which mainly just features speed improvements.

4nace

Smash Ace
I'll look at it. Maybe they'll let me borrow some sprites :D

Also the competition I've seen so far is pretty lame....I tested Fright Fight, and it's a far cry from any sort of fun fast paced game their audience is looking for.
I'd say keep it original IP for now and don't get too sucked into other games until you have something awesome in your hands. Once you have a game people have heard of, it will be easier to make those contacts anyway.

And in terms of other competition... it might be something you haven't seen yet. And it might be coming from another member of smashboards who has a sonic icon. And I intend to be FIERCE competition :). (though iOS/android is not my focus)

Then again, could be nothing. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'd say keep it original IP for now and don't get too sucked into other games until you have something awesome in your hands. Once you have a game people have heard of, it will be easier to make those contacts anyway.

And in terms of other competition... it might be something you haven't seen yet. And it might be coming from another member of smashboards who has a sonic icon. And I intend to be FIERCE competition :). (though iOS/android is not my focus)

Then again, could be nothing. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.
Haha! I mean, I could use another coder if you'd want to help. But are you shooting for mobile? Because if so, I have no idea what you would develop for if it isn't Android or iOS.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Btw, how many original characters do you already have planned? I mean, you already have that red Mario reskin guy and that other thing (What are their names again?)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
We are thinking about calling the red one Flare, and we're taking out the brown guy. The brown one may just become an enemy in some levels.

Here's the penguin we are working on. I think his name might be Mr. Puffs. If you were to hypothetically compare the penguin to a character from a Super Smash Brothers, you could say that he shares a few moves with Pikachu.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman

Smash Clash 0.3.1.0 is complete!
I've allowed space for 50 more testers too!
Download here!
Android only

Read about everything in the update here!
This updates focuses on the mechanics, speed, menus and stability of the game. So don't expect more content from it; just expect the game itself to be improved.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Signed up, came up with this:

You are a tester
You are logged in as (withheld)

Leave the test
You can leave the test at any time. After leaving the test, you need to un-install the test version and re-install the regular version from the Play Store.

Download Smash Clash from the Play Store

And when I try downloading it says it doesn't exist.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
click the
Signed up, came up with this:

You are a tester
You are logged in as (withheld)

Leave the test
You can leave the test at any time. After leaving the test, you need to un-install the test version and re-install the regular version from the Play Store.

Download Smash Clash from the Play Store

And when I try downloading it says it doesn't exist.
Yeah when I'm busy I just don't get around to adding people right away. Just click the "Download Smash Clash from the Play Store". Make sure you're logged into your google play's gmail account.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Got it working, thanks! So how would you like your input? Private messages, email, or this thread??

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Email me at impactgamesstudio [at] gmail.com please

Thanks for the feedback in advance :D

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
There's an unofficial forum for artists interested in Smash Clash. www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/attention_want_to_be_in_a_game
None of the stuff here is supported by Smash Clash, but you can go there if you're an artist who would like to talk about contributing to the game. If you would like to make a character for Smash Clash, just email me at impactgamesstudio [at] gmail.com (replace the [at] with @ of course)

Top Bottom