• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers TCG! Pokemon Trainer Card! New Rules! Fifty Three Cards Total Now!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Thought I disappeared eh? Well, nope, I have still been working hard at the SSBTCG despite the excitement revolving around Brawl and it being released in Japan and the like! Well, I'd like to state that the game is moving along, card production is going at a steady pace, the rules are being fine tuned, and the play mat is still in the works!

I got my own webpage on freewebs now! I will be updating it daily with new cards to show off! It's not the most appealing site in terms of presentation, but it does it's job. I'll be thinking about moving, and if anyone has suggestions for other FREE websites to host the game on, please tell!

Here is the link: http://www.freewebs.com/rhubarbo/

Most Recent Cards:

I'll make it more attractive soon enough don't worry <_<!

Here are the rules to the game:

Game Play arena layout: Recovery Zone-P1 Play Zone-Neutral Zone-P2 Play Zone-Recovery Zone

SSBTCG rule refinement:

I have refined the rules to the SSBTCG and made them clearer. This is the V2 version of the rules and will probably be updated again. Please bare with me as this takes a lot of time and effort to complete. Enjoy!

The Super Smash Brothers Trading Card Game, the SSBTCG does it’s best at trying to capture the essence of the Smash Bros videogames in the form of a card battler! Certain aspects of the game had to be cut out to make it less complicated and easier to grasp. Many things that aren’t part of the core game will appear as other cards.

Deck construction: Building a deck in the SSBTCG will require some thinking time. You’ll need to choose cards that best suit your play style and strategy. Your deck MUST have a minimum of 40 cards, and a maximum of 70. Every deck needs one character card to be playable. You pretty much can’t do anything in the SSBTCG without Action Cards. These are the only way you can transverse the zones of play, attack, defend, recover, and use items. You can normally only have 4 of each card, but you can have as many of each type of Action Card. Certain cards will specify that they are limited. Certain Action Cards may specify that they are limited, you may only have 4 of these.

Summary of Deck construction:

-Card cap=40-70 cards

-Every deck needs character cards and Action Cards

-You can only have for of each card

-You can have any amount of Action Cards (unless they specify otherwise).

Delegation of Initiative: Flip a coin, to decide which player will play first.

Starting the game: To start the game, search your deck for a character card and place it faced down in your Play Zone. Your opponent does this at the same times as you. After you have completed this process, both you and your opponent shuffle your decks and draw 10 cards. If you really dislike your hand, you may re-shuffle it into your deck, but this time, you may only draw a maximum of 5 cards.

Phases of play: The SSBTCG is divided into four phases. These phases flow in the following order:

Prep Phase One-Prep Phase Two-Battle Round-Post Duel

I’ll walk you through each phase as well as I possibly can! Shall we start off with the Prep Phase?

The player that won Initiative decides prior to the game which player is P1. P1 is the player that has their Prep Phase first. Whether this is viewed as an advantage or disadvantage is all reliant on the cards you play with. Generally, it provides no advantage or disadvantage.

Start your Prep Phase by drawing one card from your deck.

In the Prep Phase you may play any of the following cards:

-One Stage Card) There can only be one stage in play at a time. How this is handled is described in the cards effect box.

One Augmentation Card per character) Each character can have one move augmented to them at a time. How this is handled is specified on the cards effect box.

As many Action Cards) Your Action Card Zone can hold up to 7 Action Cards. As long there are empty spaces, you may place an Action Card there.

After the player with Initiative completes his Prep Phase, the other player does the same. There are no differences.

The Battle Round is pretty much the game at it’s core. Here you and your opponent take turns activating your faced down Action Cards and exchanging attacks and defences. The Battle Round lasts for 5 exchanges. Here are some examples of how the Battle Round may flow:

Player One: Uses Movement card to progress one zone forwards. Exchange done.

Player Two: Activates 2 Attack 2 cards to pay for attack and launches it to foe. The attack can reach one zone away and is going to hit player one.

Player One: Player one jumps to avoid the attack.

Player Two: Player two moves a zone forwards.

Player One: Uses attack that hits after jump.

Player Two: Uses shield, blocks damage.

Player One: Pays 2 POINTS and uses attack.

Player Two: Can not guard attack, so he gets damaged. Player two uses an attack that increases in damage after being struck.

Player One: Player one uses a reflector.

Player Two: Player two can not guard the attack, and ends up doing double damage to himself!

If there are any attacks that are in the middle of being used and the Battle Round, they end immediately. Effects carry over (Super Sonic as an example).

Be careful, once your dmg meter is high, you can be sent “flying” by a KO move. Each character card has a stat on the top of it that indicates when it can be sent “flying”. Mario for example has this stat:

70>100<130

70=How much dmg he can sustain without going flying by KO moves in his Play Zone.

100=How much dmg he can sustain without going flying in the Neutral Zone.

130=How much dmg he can sustain without going flying in the opponents Play Zone.

When sent flying, you may pull of a recovery move. May attacks have a recovery stat. Mario’s Super Jump Punch has a stat of 150. That means that up to that much dmg, Mario may recover after being sent flying. To recover, simply pay POINTS to use the attack.

After recovering, you are in the Recovery Zone for one full exchange. Normally, you CAN NOT move into this zone. While here, your opponent may play certain cards that allow them to move into the zone and perform an attack on you. However, there are certainly methods to counter this. Look through the cards!

This does it for the Battle Round!

The Post Duel: The Post Duel is very simple actually. All it is really is deciding which Action Cards you wish to keep in your Action Card Zone for the next Battle Round. In the next round, the P1 position changes to the other player.

Winning conditions: Winning a game of the SSBTCG can be done via two methods.

1) If your deck runs out of cards, you lose.

2) If your stock count is reduced to zero, you lose as well.

3) No character cards can be played

How do you reduce the stock count? Well, when the game starts, you should each have a pre-determined amount of stocks (handicaps are suggested if necessary). Every time a character gets “defeated” you lose a stock. A character is KO ed when they can not recover and come into their Play Zone as if they were freshly played. However, a KO ed character loses a stock. The stock count for each character is found next to their names. If a character loses all three stocks they are defeated, thus, you lose a stock.

After a character is defeated, the Battle Round ends immediately. The player that was defeated must search their deck for another character card and play it in their Play Zone. If a player can not do this they instantly lose.

NOTE: The standard stock count for a game is three. This may be changed by the players at the start.

Game play variants: The SSBTCG can be played in multiple ways. Sure there is the standard variant, but just like Special Brawl, the game is also available for customization. Normally, only ONE character card may be in play. However, there are variants where there can be more. Here are some to name a few.

“Epic Brawl”-Victory here can not be achieved by running out of cards. After your deck runs out, shuffle all your discarded Action Cards into your deck and continue play.

“Timed Match”-The victor is decided after a pre-determined amount of Battle Rounds. The player with the lowest stock count loses. If that is tied, priority shifts to the character with that most stocks lost. If that is tied, priority shifts to the character with the most dmg. If that is tied, you play another Battle Round.

“Cherish your Soldiers”-If you do not have a character card in play, you may not search your deck for one, you have to play one from your hand.

“Battle Royal”-This mode is the MOST fun and encouraged for everyone to play. The limit of a two player game is lifted, and three, even four players may participate. Players will have to share a Play Zone and Recovery Zone in this case, however, that doesn’t mean you can’t attack them in that zone.

Prep Phases would obviously be larger. There will always be P1 and P2. P3, the player in the same zone as P1, goes after P2, and P4, the player in P2’s Play Zone goes after P3. This exchange continues even into the Battle Round. Alter who goes first as usual.

Attacks must always target one foe unless specified otherwise.

“Team Battle”- Like Battle Royal, this mode is encouraged to be played as well. Here you can control up to two cards. Each card has their own separate Action Card Zone. Both of your cards share the same Play and Recovery Zone. The game works just like Battle Royal.

If a character is KO ed, yet another is still fine and dandy, you do not have to play another one. The only time you can replenish your character count back to 2 is during your Prep Phase.

ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS YOU DESIRE TO ASK? If so, post on the forums or email me at smash@hotmail.com

---
Credits go to:
-My pal Bobo who has been constantly helping me out on the project!
-Team Sora/HAL for making such a spectacular series!
-Youtube for being so awesome and letting me convey this game's existance!
-Smash Boards for being the coolest place to discuss Smash related things!
-The Noob Legend for making some kick @$$ cards!
-Frogla for putting in effort to make some cards!
-The Mightypancake for making a game that is a great alternative to mine
-Everybody else that is supporting my concept!

JohnnyInThePants

Smash Apprentice
Okay another SSBB fan project...

Well I'll just say I like that fact that this actually seems well thought out. Though I would prefer you give something to show so it doesn't seem like just another topic to get every 9 year old on this forum excited over nothing. =P

M.K

Level 55
I very much enjoy it! One question, how would we obtain the cards? It's probably answered in your post, but I have to read the rest of it.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Super Rare Action Card = Ken Combo. d(' 'd)

Sounds pretty good to me. If you can explain rules a little more (# of chars out at time, # of Items per turn) ect. It'll be better.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
What's going on with all these Brawl fan projects there (to me) not all that mandatory but the computer fighting game.Well I hope this turns out good,good luck.

Otori Warrior

Smash Cadet
This is a pretty interesting idea. And it sounds well thought out. I do have one question.
My question: Why would a Smash player want to play this card game? Obviously, the target audience of this card game is the Smash community. What would make someone want to play a Smash card game over playing Smash?

In regards to the question above about distribution. I think allowing users to download and print cards would be the easiest way to allow people to get the cards.

antimatter

Smash Lord
question, what's stopping you from putting in characters from other games and adding them into the fight? if you are willing to try that and be inventive, sylux is a thought. there are plenty of images of him on google. i understand this will take you awhile and i appreciate the effort, just a suggestion.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I lol'd at the 2008 part! Anyways, I'm thinkink of uploading the Mario card (the prototype I guess). I have some things to work out (coverting formats and the like). Please be patient.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Let's have the project finished first, then I will worry about distribution.

antimatter

Smash Lord
does using other characters sound interesting, or does that just sound stupid to you?

Frogla

Smash Ace
I suggest you make this sort of a fan game, make it have its own program and you start with a basic deck either Mario Deck or Kirby Deck. As you face other oppenets over the net in this computer program you get card packs of course adding more to the deck. If your interested we could discuss it and kind of make it like the pokemon trading gba game.

antimatter

Smash Lord
what about people who cant download things? for those people, the cards should be printable. (i.e. me.)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I suggest you make this sort of a fan game, make it have its own program and you start with a basic deck either Mario Deck or Kirby Deck. As you face other oppenets over the net in this computer program you get card packs of course adding more to the deck. If your interested we could discuss it and kind of make it like the pokemon trading gba game.
Er..I'm really poor at the programming thing...I can create concepts pretty well thoug...

I have to take a break for now, I;ll be back tomorrow.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I actually was planning on doing something like this but it's was more of a Nintendo TCG rather then just SSB TCG that way you are not limited to the charcters in the game. Maybe we can work the project together and when finished try to maybe convince Nintendo to put the game in action( unlikey but why not try). pm on the site and maybe we can talk.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
I support it, I hope it works out, I hope it gets going, I hope a contact of mine can help, but I can't gaurantee it, and I can't help but think that this will not get off the ground.

FallenAngelPit

Smash Apprentice
will you be adding extra characters that arn't in ssbb eg. ness? will you be creating "special" cards with different costumes & backgrounds? will you be transfering some ATs to character status eg. saki?

anyways, great idea, looks like a ssbb pokemon TGC. I hope you finish it soon. don't finish it before brawl, or at least jan. 24 when we know all the char.

farewell :cool:

edit: HaPpY nEw YeArS!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!iiiiiii!!!!!!!lllllllll!!!!!!!!!

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
like every1 else is asking, how do we get the cards? you need to get like a patent for the TCG and talk to upperdeck about printing the cards and rule book when you're done. Get the patent first (idk if u can do that with other ppls characters though) before talking to UDE because you don't want them to steal your idea and have you do all the work with no restitution

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
will you be adding extra characters that arn't in ssbb eg. ness? will you be creating "special" cards with different costumes & backgrounds? will you be transfering some ATs to character status eg. saki?

anyways, great idea, looks like a ssbb pokemon TGC. I hope you finish it soon. don't finish it before brawl, or at least jan. 24 when we know all the char.

farewell :cool:

edit: HaPpY nEw YeArS!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!iiiiiii!!!!!!!lllllllll!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I'm planning on adding Fire Mario, Blastoise, Venasaur, Olimar, Isaac, Y.Link, AC Villager, and some more characters too that. I will limit it to characters in Smash and those that are from Nintendo. If this ever gets into the hands of an executive at Nintendo, I don't want to infringe on any rights.

I'll be thinking on a way to distribute the cards soon (most likely downloadable and printable). The rulebook will be up on the thread soon, I just need to alter some parts of it to make it more clear for the readers. After the rules are posted, suggest ways to alter them.

ATs will be added later on, they will be characters with no health and only actve for one round of battle. Use them wisely! There will be AT versions of cards, and playable versions. Some ATs I have considered are Samurai Goroh, Saki (yes, he is bad a$$), Lyn and Little Mac.

BTW, 2008 is upon us, 24 days till we Brawl (well, Japan)!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Will there still be Bowser's F-smash and will it close topics?
Bowser's and Fox's FSes will only activate if you have the corresponding FS card (like the ajority of FSes). Samus could use her Zero Laser, but she takes damage to herself if you do not play the ZSS card from your deck or hand after the FS.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A nice way to disribute this:
You make all the Cards, then upload them.
Someone with good game skills makes a PC game out of it =P With Online Play and all
Problem Solved

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Alrighty, I think my idea got a decent amount of attention, so I have decided to put up the rule book for the SSBTCG. This rulebook has the rues present in the beta stages of the game, which means by the time the final version is released, some numbers (such as deck size) will change. Enjoy!:

Intro: The SSBTCG is a card game that revolves around the ever so popular Smash universe. Most charaters will be based off their SSBB counterparts which is the most recent rendition of the series. The game is rather easy to learn (for the most part), and stays true to it's videogame counterpart (un-like Pokemon lol).

Well, if you want a little history behind it, here it is. Skip through this part if you want to:

I was intrigued when I heard of Brawl! Ideas of what could be done with the game were flowing through my mind. One of the main ideas was that each character should have there own level which would play like their gaming counterparts. (Dungeon for Link, sidescroller for Mario, stealth level for Snake e.c.t. I thought that didn't fit, so I was just thinking of more ideas. That idea evolved into another idea, Story Adventure Mode (SSE happened...YES!), then another idea struck me...

Strategy mode was one thing I thought of. It was turn based, meaning each player selected what to do seperately from the other. I thought that the concept was bland, so I has it work through building a deck of cards you used by getting them throughout the game (trophy replacements).

I was hoping for this to have been implemented into Brawl...sadly it was not. So I took matters into my own hands and made a TCG based of the games. At first you played the game by playing with Melee on. The decks consisted of movement attack, recovery, and cards akin to those. That wasn't as accessible, and wasn't as enjoyable. In the next game, characters did not move, recover, jump, or shield. It was strictly attacking the other foe and reducing their HP to zero. That was even worse than the original design, so I scrapped that one. After months of making, tweeking, and fine tuning the rules, the game in it's current state was born!

-The tale of Rhubarbo

Basics of the game:
To play the game, you should have a deck consisting of Action Cards, Character Cards, Item Cards (sorry tourney goers), and Stage Hazard Cards. A good deck would balance the types of cards it includes. You can have 4 of each card in your deck (currently there are no limited cards, but if there were, the card it's self would mention it). An acception to the "4 of each" rule are Action Cards. You can use as many of each Action Cards except for "Special Action Cards". (I took this que from Pokemon and Energy Card honestly lol). Currently, the listed deck limit is 40-60 cards. For now alter that to your content, but I am hoping of eventually reaching a conlusive number.

REMEMBER THIS RULE ALWAYS!: A CARDS EFFECT ALWAY OVER RIDES THE GAMES RULES!

Victory Condidtions:
It's pretty simple...To achieve a victory, you have to reduce your opponents Stock Count to zero. The standard game uses 3 stocks per a player, however, you can alter this pre-game to fit your playing style (just like Life Points in Yugioh). To do this though, you will have to KO a card. This is done by reducing it's stock count to zero. Most cards will have a Stock Count of 3, but to balance the game, certain cards will have less/more.

Another way to win a Brawl is if you opponent's deck runs out of cards. (There is another way to play, just check the Gameplay Variations section for more details.)

If an opponent does not have a Character Card in play, they lose a Player's Stock each turn. (See Gamplay Variations for another version).

Turn Structure:
To begin the game, each player draws 7 cards. If none of those cards are Character Cards, the pleyer show their hand to the opponent, then the player shuffles their hand into their deck and draws 6 cards. If their are still no character cards, this process is repeated, and the player without the character cards draws one less card each time. The least a player can have on their initial hand is 1 card. This is why a balanced deck is encouraged.

After both players have a valid hand, they play one Character Card facedown on the gameplay area. Both cards are revealed simulataneously (don't worry, this game isn't a Pokemon clone <_<). Now decide who will play first (I recommend a coin as certain effects use one). Now enter the prep phase.

Field Anatomy:
Before I move on, I'd like to explain what the field of battle is like. Imagine it as if it were Final Destination. There are no platforms (which I was initially planning but they got too coplicated). There are 5 Zones of play. The Zones are placed like this:

Recovery1-Play1-Neutral-Play2-Recovery2

Each Zone serves a purpose. When a Character Card is played, it starts the game off in the player's respective Play Zone. The Nutral Zone is there there as a center point, and the Recovery Zones are where characters recover after being knocked off the field. Cards can of course move through these Zones, but more on that later.

Turn Structure Continued:
After the starting player is decided, they enter their Prep Phase. At the start of each Prep Phase. Here you start by drawing a card from your deck, have any special effects needed to happen occur, play Iems and/or Augmentations (which will be later described in detail), and play Stage Hazards. You can also play up to 7 Action Cards which will be described later. Your opponent enter their Prep Phase after you are finished and does the same. After wards, you enter the Brawl Phase.

The Brawl Phase works like this. The starting player will activate one action card and that cards effect will activate. Then the opponent may activate an Action Card. This "Exchange" occurs 5 times. These are some of the Action Cards that can be played:

Attack: Each of these cards allows you to activate an attack. Each attack requires a certain amount of POINTS to be used. Each Attack Action card has a POINTS value on it. A Standard card would have 2-3 points. Some Special Cards might have 7 points, but they will definitely have side effects...If an attack costs less than the number on the Attack Card, you may store that extra POINT/POINTS for later this round. However, those/that POINT(S) is not carried over into a new round. If an attack costs more than the amount of POINTS on a specific card, you may activate another Attack Card. Manage how you do this wisely.

Shield: Shields block a certain amount of damage from happening to your character. If a sheild is broken, the Character that used it will be stunned during the your opponents next exchange, and your next exchange.

Jump: Jumping allows you to avoid certain attacks. It is seperate from the shield in that it blocks all damage. But, certain attack can target a jumping Character.

Advance: Move a Zone forwards

Retreat: Move a Zone backwards

Edgeguard: Block an opponent from recovering...more on this later

Tag: This card can be played in the Action Zone, but can only be used during the Prep Phase. It allows you to discard the Character currently in play for you, and play a new character. Any amount of stock loss and damage is transfered to the new character. A character can not be played if it will immediately be KOed if played.

Throw: Throw an item

Climb Back: More on this later....

There are more to come! But basically, this is what you do. After 5 Exchanges are done, the starting player role rotates for the next Prep Phase. You may choose to "store" un-used Action Cards for the next Round, but remember, there is a limit of 7. The used cards are all sent to the Discard Pile.

Now, how can you KO a character. Well, this is done by achieving a certain amount of damage on them, then pulling off a KO move. Each card has a stat which indicates how much damage they can sustain. If that damage meter is reached/surpassed they will be sent flying. Where the card is also effercts this. If it is in the card holder's Play Zone, it is eassier to KO because it is closer to the ledge. If it is in the other player's Play Zone, it is far harder to KO. It will also have a stat for the Neutral Zone. (It is as though the cards are always facing the same direction).

A character can try to recover by using an attack card, then using their recove move. This move has a specified amount of damage that it will allow the card to recover up to. Certain recovery moves have effects. If a character does not complete a reocvery, they are KOed, lose a Character Stock and "re-spawn" in the player's Play Zone. Edgeguard cards can be actiated if you are next to a Recovery Zone, where characters stay for one of their Exchanges after a recovery is complete. Nromally, you can not move into this Zone. When in their, the Edge Guard card allows you to pull of a KO move, but it will deal double the damage than usual...but it can be stopped. If a recovering player has a climb back card, they nullimy the Edgeguard!

Turn Order Tree:
Prep Phase Player1-Prep Phase Player2-Battle Exchange-Prep Phase Player2-Prep Phase Player 1-Battle Exchage-Prep Phase Player1...

This is pretty sloppy right now, but I will post a Card Anatomy soon, then do a demo using printed decks in the future. Please bear with this for now...

Gameplay Variations:
-"Epic Brawl"
After one player runs out of cards in their deck, shuffl their Action Cards (not the special ones) from the Discard Pile into the Deck.

-"Time Match"
The winner is decided by whom has the least damage/stock loss after a pre-determined amount of rounds.

-"Open Assault"
If an opponent does not have a Character Card in play, you can attack them "directly". Your attack's damage (rounded up) and divided by ten will be how many cards will be directly removed from your opponent's deck.

-"I've Had it With You!"
If you opponent does not have a Character Card in their initial hand, and is only drawing one card, you may declare, "I've had it with you" and searh their deck and choose a Character Card for them.

-"Free 4 All"
This is the Gameplay Variation I encourage everyone to play. It allows you to play with 4 players! Two players may share one Play Zone (doesn't mean they can't attack each other in it...). This is still being worked on, but it shall be up!

-"Duo Duel"
Player's control 2 Characters intead of one. This is also encouraged!

COPY THIS AND YOU WILL GET SUEEEEEEEEEEEED LOLZ!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I'm glad someone saw this...I hope the long rules don't turn anyone off...I have a lot of cards that have yet to be made, so just be patient if you want to play!

Card

Smash Lord
Great concept and ideas you guys.

Now take what you have in words, and create some images depicting the play field, and cards. Your concept will reach even more people if you do that.

Frogla

Smash Ace
I think you should definitley include some non smash charachters if you only make it smash. You only have 40-45 charachter cards.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/Rhubarbo/

Well, I got three more cards up! I'm going to finish the first edition of the game, then I will add more cards. Surely I will add characters not present in the SSBB universe. For one, I will be adding any "cut" Melee characters. That's right, I plan on making a Pichu, and I'll be sure to make it BROKEN!!! The game is based off Smash so it can include ANY Nintendo character (and Snake and Sonic).

Top Bottom