• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers TCG! Pokemon Trainer Card! New Rules! Fifty Three Cards Total Now!

Frogla

Smash Ace
I like your cards but you may need a new backdrop. Ill try and make a card this week.

Frogla

Smash Ace
Was that a joke, Frogla?

Edit - It SHOULD be a brawl image...
No not a joke, he says hes gonna use charachter not exclusive to brawl. So not everyones gonna have a brawl image. So i say if not everyone is using the brawl image then neither should the ones that are in brawl.

Alan Redgown

Smash Cadet
Oh, that's a pretty nice-looking card. I've been experimenting with a program called Magic Set Editor, which can make realistic-looking Magic:The Gathering cards. I used it to make a quick sample card, which can be viewed here. The program can handle custom skins, so I thought it might be worth a shot. I know my sample card isn't exactly the same as the original, but it's just an example.

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
Great Idea I like the cards and the rules when it comes out I'll defentily play it with my friends my only complaint is that the background looks a little boring maby when brawl comes out you can make some ingame pictures of them and use them in your cards

TheAmazingMio

Smash Rookie
Wow, Rhubaro, thats a lot of work.
I've been working on something like this
(Read: Board-slash-Card game) For the lower
part of 4 years now,
But if you want any help with this, PM me or
something, I actually have a LOT of work done
(Read: I have 4 prototype decks ready to play in real life)
and we might be able to work our projects together to get this done sooner.
(Trust me, after 4 years working on the thing, you're gonna want all the help you can get.)

Here's an example of a character card + regular card so you can see how this works.

Sonic (Character)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/TheAmazingMio/SonicCharacterCard.jpg

Ike Eruption (Special)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/TheAmazingMio/Eruption.jpg

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Aren't Yugioh and Pokemon basically clones of Magic?

I like this idea, and I have a suggestion, maybe you could use characters from Melee and 64 as cards along with Brawl characters. What I mean is Melee Link would have certain attacks/health and so would Brawl Link. Just an idea.

Alan Redgown

Smash Cadet
I've thought of making an SSB Magic: The Gathering set that would include not only characters, stages, and items from Smash Bros., but also those from games featuring characters in the Smash Bros. universe. That is, one card game would feature Vanish Caps, Lon Lon Ranch, the Elite Four, Chao, and Dyna Blade.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I've thought of making an SSB Magic: The Gathering set that would include not only characters, stages, and items from Smash Bros., but also those from games featuring characters in the Smash Bros. universe. That is, one card game would feature Vanish Caps, Lon Lon Ranch, the Elite Four, Chao, and Dyna Blade.
I like that idea! But, I'm not that enthusisastic about Magic right now I guess...For those concerned the game will be a clone of Yugioh, fear not, this is BASED of Smash which has nothing to do with those other cards games!

What I'd like is that Magic Card Editor! Get it to me pronto!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Wow, Rhubaro, thats a lot of work.
I've been working on something like this
(Read: Board-slash-Card game) For the lower
part of 4 years now,
But if you want any help with this, PM me or
something, I actually have a LOT of work done
(Read: I have 4 prototype decks ready to play in real life)
and we might be able to work our projects together to get this done sooner.
(Trust me, after 4 years working on the thing, you're gonna want all the help you can get.)

Here's an example of a character card + regular card so you can see how this works.

Sonic (Character)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/TheAmazingMio/SonicCharacterCard.jpg

Ike Eruption (Special)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/TheAmazingMio/Eruption.jpg

Care to send me the rules of your game???

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I will certainly be working on the balance of the game! 80 cards is the maximum, so most decks would likely have 65-70 cards. If you include 5 characters, and 4 of each, that is 20 character cards. That makes about one third of the deck. I might edit the rules to make it a 50-70 limit though.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Just to put a spin on the idea you've got working...

Instead of drawing multiple characters, make it so that decks would have to revolve around a single character. The game starts with that character on the board, and the deck would consist of items, attacks, ATs, etc. There would be a separate "Stage Deck", which would have an environmental hazard. For example:

Whispy Woods

If your character is Fast, decrease their Attack by 1.

In this situation, Fast would be a character attribute which would apply to characters like Fox, Sonic, etc.

Each game, draw a random card from the deck. In a tournament style play, the first stage would be random, then loser picks from there.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Just to put a spin on the idea you've got working...

Instead of drawing multiple characters, make it so that decks would have to revolve around a single character. The game starts with that character on the board, and the deck would consist of items, attacks, ATs, etc. There would be a separate "Stage Deck", which would have an environmental hazard. For example:

Whispy Woods

If your character is Fast, decrease their Attack by 1.

In this situation, Fast would be a character attribute which would apply to characters like Fox, Sonic, etc.

Each game, draw a random card from the deck. In a tournament style play, the first stage would be random, then loser picks from there.
Ok, I like it! Stage Hazard will still be played like normal items would. And, characters that are quick will have that ability intergrated into their attacks and abilitites. I'm thinking of posibly keeping multiple characters, but you start the game for searching your deck and draing one.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hey Rhubarbo, I was reading this thread last night and was totally inspired to develop a Smash card game of my own. It's kinda rough (I thought about it a lot though), but would you mind if I maybe sent you the rules to see what you think about it? The gist of it is, you start with a certain character card, with its own HP and unique stats, and draw and play action cards to deal damage or recover HP.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Hey Rhubarbo, I was reading this thread last night and was totally inspired to develop a Smash card game of my own. It's kinda rough (I thought about it a lot though), but would you mind if I maybe sent you the rules to see what you think about it? The gist of it is, you start with a certain character card, with its own HP and unique stats, and draw and play action cards to deal damage or recover HP.
Cool, send me the rules whenever your ready!

antimatter

Smash Lord
umm.. because when printed these will be on white paper, shouldnt a folding back be designed so that the back can be glued to the non picture side on the front?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
umm.. because when printed these will be on white paper, shouldnt a folding back be designed so that the back can be glued to the non picture side on the front?
I'm going to use sleeves to put my card in. That is pretty effective. If you're a good cutter, there shouldn't be much problem.

I'd also like to state that I might consider making this a flash game in the future. First I'd have to get some more skill in programming these things...Well first I'd have to finish all the cards...Don't expect a flash game anytime soon though. Right now that I have 4 characters up, I will work on some Action Cards.

I'd also like to credit Frogla for imputting effort into the project. The one problem I have though is that I'm going to be making a lot of these cards, so it wouldtake a long time to just re-make them. The lack of a backdrop sucks, but I'm willing to deal with it for now.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Phew, after working a while to make these cards, they are done! Go to my Potobucket album to check them out! Let me cleat things up on the FLUDD card. It can be equipped to anyone that has a matching icon (the mushroom). No, Bowser and Peach will not be able to equip it because they will not have the mushroom icon.

The FLUDD is the first card that doesn't use Brawl images...There will be more. They won't take over the game, but there will be images from secualr games, most of those will be from Melee.

Tomorrow/later today I'm planning on making the following cards:
Sonic
Samus
Fox
Bowser
Final Smashes for Link, Mario, Pikachu and Kirby
Cape (Mario Series)
Spring (Sonic Series)
TM Skull Bash

After these, a few more cards will complete the First Eddition of the SSBTCG. I will release another expansion after Brawl comes out. You can expect to see all characters in Brawl+some more as Character Cards (which is why I'll be holding off for a bit). Make some card suggestions and I'll be willing to take them into consideration!

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I have been working on my TCG for some time now, but this thread actually motivated to putting it down on paper. so far I finished all the card types and made a very rough copy of the cards( I mean rough lol).

Alan Redgown

Smash Cadet
Here's the link to the Magic Set Editor site, if you're still interested. Custom skins don't seem that easy to create, but they are possible, and I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere. Mostly, I think Magic Set Editor would make the creation of cards much easier and faster than doing them manually. I'll also be sure to look into the process for making custom skins, because we don't want that typical MTG skin on these cards.

Frogla

Smash Ace
Yeah my way is long and overwrought, but i will indeed try to think of something else we could do. Thanks for the Street Cred Man.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Rhubarbo (I hoped I spelled it right), you are my hero. But I am unsure if it would be good. There are tons of elements, and I hope it doesn't get too complicated.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I trimmed the game down so much I thought I was making it under complicated :(.

If you learn how to play, it's really simple, I just think my rules are presented a little too roughly. I'll revise the rulebook in the future.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Rhubarbo,

I've "designed" two trading card games which were played amongst my friends and I (yeah, yeah, i know. nerdy).

If you're willing to start from scratch, I'd love to run over some ideas with you to create a simpler game with a bit more strategy involved than simply drawing items and attacks.

I'm on AIM as almightypancakej

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Rhubarbo,

I've "designed" two trading card games which were played amongst my friends and I (yeah, yeah, i know. nerdy).
Who hasn't? Anyways, if there's any way I can help using internet on Wii (maybe computer soon?), I would.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Rhubarbo,

If you're willing to start from scratch, I'd love to run over some ideas with you to create a simpler game with a bit more strategy involved than simply drawing items and attacks.

I'm on AIM as almightypancakej
Er... I don't have AIM, and I'm not really into that. I think the game will remain what it's like in it's current state with minor alterations here and there. I might be willing to re-start and re-make a new game in the future though ^_^!

Top Bottom