• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Demo Impressions - Negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is reserved for discussing criticisms that one may have with the current Demos of Super Smash Bros. For 3DS & Wii U and suggestions for improvement.

Please remember that the games are still in development and are subject to change. For those with suggestions, seeking out the Nintendo Representative at each participating Best Buy may be a proper way to let your opinions be heard.

Rules:

1. Stay respectful of other peoples opinions.
2. Be constructive with your opinions. Needlessly ranting will potentially be subjected to trolling/flaming infractions.
3. Discussing Characters who are not confirmed shall be considered Off-Topic spam.
4. Each confirmed Character has their own Demo Impression thread within their respective Forum, so if you wish to discuss them at length we ask that you do so there.
5. The Report option is always there if you feel a fellow user is or could potentially cause trouble. Report them and then promptly ignore them.
6. If you have suggestions for the SWF Staff please use Forum Support.
7. There is a separate Positive Impression thread, so please separate your opinions based on the respective thread.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Seems like this would go along with the "Unpopular Opinions Thread."

I was kinda mad at the lack of characters. Especially the new characters revealed.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The lack of a C-stick alternative on the 3DS was jarring. I've become so used to using all my aerials with a C-stick that having to actually use the circle pad + A to use them made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing. I wish Sakurai would tell us whether the CPPro will be usable or not.

Also, the unimaginative color swaps (most of which seemed to be the exact same color choices as Brawl) were disappointing. I hope that they'll be replaced in the final release, but I don't see why they would create the textures and use them in a demo only to be replaced later.

Oh, and one last thing: Rosalina's final smash is probably the worst one I've seen. Nobody who used it was able to get a kill. Or come close to getting a kill, really.

Last edited:

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
What is the purpose of separating the negative and positive opinions?

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
What is the purpose of separating the negative and positive opinions?
Keeping them both in one will just turn into an argumental thread. Keeping both threads separate will give refuge to those who want to vent their anger towards the game, and a thread for those who want to talk positively about the game in another.

There'll probably come a moment where someone will ignore this.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
A friend played the game at best buy, apparently Pikachu STILL doesnt have the tail spike back :(
im probably one of the only people that considers that a negative, but it really separated it from the other aerial moves
afaik thunder is the meteor, when hit with the cloud? kind of strange considering that used to be the best way to hit people upwards when they were far above you

I really do think they need to differentiate the A moves as much as possible
every smash thus far has a few that were not very useful

Last edited:

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
Most likely because of flame wars.
There were no flame wars on the previous thread, nor were there any on the other closed threads. All differences in opinion are being treated as flaming. People are stating what they think giving evidence for why they think that. How is this flaming?

Keeping them both in one will just turn into an argumental thread. Keeping both threads separate will give refuge to those who want to vent their anger towards the game, and a thread for those who want to talk positively about the game in another.

There'll probably come a moment where someone will ignore this.
I can't understand why they would not want to see opposing opinions, but I guess these threads are good for them...

Last edited:

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
That way of splitting the thread sounds like a good idea.

(Note that I haven't played the Demo myself, so I can only comment on what I have seen)
After my initial depression and reading through all the kinds of debates, I still have faith.

When Melee came out, it's a whole new game compared to Smash64, and the same must be sad to Brawl when compared to Melee. Smash 4 on the other way ... at the moment it resembels Brawl way too much for my taste. Yes it is faster than brawl and no tripping, but the ability to combo and for Advanced Techs still seems very low.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
3DS version will be hard to get used to controlling. When I was there, almost every player at one point accidentally pressed A trying to jump (since that's where the X button is on a Gamecube controller). This particular issue will be solved with custom control schemes, but the button layout for the rest of the face buttons will be different no matter what. Personally I use L for shields and Z for grab and never press R, so I'm all set for switching the shoulder buttons, but people who use both R and Z are going to have some problems playing this.

And of course as mentioned, lack of C-stick is the biggest thing.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There were no flame wars on the previous thread, nor were there any on the other closed threads. All differences in opinion are being treated as flaming. People are stating what they think giving evidence for why they think that. How is this flaming?
The threads were made because the entire SWF staff was stressing out over the lack of organization, endless duplicate threads, and constant inflow of reports in threads that were easier to lock than hand out infractions to 30+ people.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The lack of a C-stick alternative on the 3DS was jarring. I've become so used to using all my aerials with a C-stick that having to actually use the circle pad + A to use them made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing. I wish Sakurai would tell us whether the CPPro will be usable or not.
Definitely agree. I played Melee 1Player mode again not too long ago and you can't use the Cstick there. I felt like I'm unable to do anything. Damn, it's really bad if you're used to do aerials with the Cstick (which you should be, since you can move in one direction and attack in the other, so it's better, faster, more comfortable, ...).

TJ-Works

Smash Hero

I can't understand why they would not want to see opposing opinions, but I guess these threads are good for them...
I'm not saying people here don't like accepting or contemplating other people's opinions (I'm all for opinions personally.) Sometimes, they end up going out of control that people begin to spite each other, especially on a forum website like Smashboards (one example being the Melee vs Brawl debacle).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
(Note that I haven't played the Demo myself, so I can only comment on what I have seen)
After my initial depression and reading through all the kinds of debates, I still have faith.

When Melee came out, it's a whole new game compared to Smash64, and the same must be sad to Brawl when compared to Melee. Smash 4 on the other way ... at the moment it resembels Brawl way too much for my taste. Yes it is faster than brawl and no tripping, but the ability to combo and for Advanced Techs still seems very low.
I had the opportunity to play/watch Smash4 at Best Buy, and I will say that it looks/feels very different from Brawl in-person. The screenshots don't do the differences justice. It's hard to explain.

That said, the lack of character design variation is lame. Fox doesn't look any different, Link/Zelda still have their Twilight Princess designs, etc. But again, in-person and in-motion it looks and feels like a very different game. Don't worry too much.

Manty

Smash Rookie
It's unfortunate that people ended up needing to be separated like this, I was hoping to see some rational discussion here, not for it to turn into GameFAQS.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Constructive criticism is the best thing that could happen to for game right now. Improvements and changes NEED to be made. (take this from someone who played it both on Wii U and 3DS) Making nintendo think it's perfect and that they don't need to change anything is detrimental. It needs to be made clear that movement is too restricted, grabs and aerials have too much lag, and it's still too floaty. These things need to be fixed, but no one will know to change it unless we speak up!

things that are not present that should be added: slightly higher gravity and faster fall speeds more for some characters over others. Dash dancing, dash cancels, momentum carrying over from dash to jump. Reducing lag on aerials when they connect, and reducing the landing lag from aerials and reducing the lag after throws. Making sure you can't cancel hitstun like you could in brawl.

These are important things missing which should be added. I fear for the future of competitive smash 4 wii U unless we see these kinds of fixes when it is released.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
Constructive criticism is the best thing that could happen to for game right now. Improvements and changes NEED to be made. (take this from someone who played it both on Wii U and 3DS) Making nintendo think it's perfect and that they don't need to change anything is detrimental. It needs to be made clear that movement is too restricted, grabs and aerials have too much lag, and it's still too floaty. These things need to be fixed, but no one will know to change it unless we speak up!

things that are not present that should be added: slightly higher gravity and faster fall speeds more for some characters over others. Dash dancing, dash cancels, momentum carrying over from dash to jump. Reducing lag on aerials when they connect, and reducing the landing lag from aerials and reducing the lag after throws. Making sure you can't cancel hitstun like you could in brawl.

These are important things missing which should be added. I fear for the future of competitive smash 4 wii U unless we see these kinds of fixes when it is released.
while I agree on the movement options, using esoteric smash lingo like 'dash dancing' (let alone the many abreviations and nonsense sounding moves) would probably just confuse Sakurai :laugh:

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
there is a gif of pewpew landing an uptilt then 3 up airs, then whiffing and eventually not killing the character, i got hype for it my friend got hyped for it... but looking back its kind of sad that i am excited you can hit someone more then once in the air

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
there is a gif of pewpew landing an uptilt then 3 up airs, then whiffing and eventually not killing the character, i got hype for it my friend got hyped for it... but looking back its kind of sad that i am excited you can hit someone more then once in the air
thats incorrect. wft recovered after EVERY up air he only combo'd up tilt to one upair so he just linked 2 moves.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
It seems as though the ceilings are a bit too high.

It seems hard to kill people at around 100%.

It looks way too similar to Brawl for my liking.

Characters seem to be able to recover after getting knocked off the stage no matter what. (Unless of course they are killed.)

Lack of combos is upsetting.

Croco

Smash Lord
3DS - Played as Yoshi vs 3 others on the NintenDogs stage..
We had some severe lag.. (might be due to everyone around us with their 3ds) and the 'play building blocks' falling without warning knocked me out.
Confusion with hitting a and then hitting start to start on the 3ds version..
Hoping we get more colors and skins.. it was very lacking in the demo.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I really can't believe that the thread about the game titles ("For Wii U" and "For 3DS") got closed, and people were told to come talk in this thread. Are you kidding me? So apparently ANY little topic that can be construed as "positive" or "negative" is immediately closed? What if people want to actually have a discussion about a topic with someone of an opposing view, and hash out their differences? I ask the mods to please lighten this restriction a little bit -- after all, most people won't even NOTICE these stickied threads, so few people will actually get to participate in the conversations...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I hate to say this but the separation of "positive & negative" is just not intuitive.

It is another example of discussion being heavily stifled by over-moderation.

While I do understand that sometimes folks get out of hand, I don't think it's an excuse to just not do the job you signed up for by being a moderator here. If people flame (IE personal insults and purposeful aggravation) then slap 'em with ban hammers but not having a thread where we can actually *discuss* the positives AND negatives is a bit absurd for a forum.

Maybe a third thread called positives and negatives? That way those who wish not to see an opposing view point have the option to simply keep to one thread, and those who seek to have their minds possibly changed can participate in actual discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
My only negative impression is I didn't get to play it after standing in line for three hours :(

Weak.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I hate to say this but the separation of "positive & negative" is just not intuitive.

It is another example of discussion being heavily stifled by over-moderation.

While I do understand that sometimes folks get out of hand, I don't think it's an excuse to just not do the job you signed up for by being a moderator here. If people flame (IE personal insults and purposeful aggravation) then slap 'em with ban hammers but not having a thread where we can actually *discuss* the positives AND negatives is a bit absurd for a forum.

Maybe a third thread called positives and negatives? That way those who wish not to see an opposing view point have the option to simply keep to one thread, and those who seek to have their minds possibly changed can participate in actual discussion.
Moderation is not as simple as banning people (which is an action rarely taken). These threads were created for organizational purposes, as to put an end to the influx of Like/Dislike Opinion threads, nearly all of which were or became flame bait and to where handing out infractions wouldn't solve the problem.

We still highly encourage discussion within these threads, and the guidelines within each are there to keep people making constructive posts rather than ranting/trolling/flaming. People are welcome to discuss suggestions for improvement based on what they like/dislike.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
The only major complaint I have was the 3DS version is definitely still buggy in its demo form. I was playing Smash run and the demo encountered an error and closed (and then I didn't get another turn). I'm sure this will be fixed by launch, but it makes me a bit worried about issues when trying to play against other people, since I was just playing against 3 computers and encountered an error like that.

Since I only got to try the Wii U version for two minutes, nothing immediately jumped out to me as a major issue, other than a few annoyingly long Final Smash animations for a timed match. That said, I pretty much never play time (other than by mistake), and don't usually have the Smash Ball on either.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I think the negative I noticed the most is that blast zones seem WAY too far away. I feel characters are surviving to really high percents not because of anything physics-related, but because they just never hit the blast zone.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Re: stages, it does seem like the stages show so far have been unusually large. At first I thought maybe it was just how the camera zoomed out during FFAs, but even in the grand finals match Battlefield seemed roomier than usual. Kinda reminds me of how empty New Super Mario Bros Wii felt when playing in single player.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
The characters mostly. I'm getting seriously irked that we aren't seeing any Ness of C.Falcon. To me, smash bros was one of my first games. But also during the 64 era I saw most of the characters in some sort of game. But I never actually played a F-Zero or Mother game until much later. Because of this, these two have always felt like they are from smash bros to me. Also, the reveals were obvious and not exciting. To watch E3 and see literally not a single interesting character reveal was nearly depressing, it makes me feel like we are reaching full roster.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
In general it felt like attacks were just weaker. Not that moves were actually weak, but they didn't have that "oomph" to them.

The Wii U also seemed to have input lag, but I'm hoping thats just wireless interference from the 3ds's, phones, and other wireless devices that just happened to be on in the store. Also after using the U Pro controller for Smash, I don't like where that right stick is placed at all. I actually totally forgot it was there and when I tried to use it felt really uncomfortable. This could just be me not being used to it for Smash though.

On the 3DS version, when I played a multiplayer match with two other humans and a computer, There was tremendous amount of lag. There was both input lag and frame drops. It was like Brawl wifi but worse. I don't think we were supposed to be able to play this mode though. When I tried to select that mode the game told me it was disconnected or something and returned me back to the mode select. Other players got it running somehow though. Again this could definitely have been caused by ton's of wireless interference. Last complaint about it, is that even though it looked fine and I could tell where everything was on the XL demo unit, i still fear that on my regular 3DS is will be too small to tell whats going on.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
3DS version will be hard to get used to controlling. When I was there, almost every player at one point accidentally pressed A trying to jump (since that's where the X button is on a Gamecube controller). This particular issue will be solved with custom control schemes, but the button layout for the rest of the face buttons will be different no matter what. Personally I use L for shields and Z for grab and never press R, so I'm all set for switching the shoulder buttons, but people who use both R and Z are going to have some problems playing this.

And of course as mentioned, lack of C-stick is the biggest thing.
This. I'm hoping for some customizable controls, because pressing X to jump just feels awkward.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I did talk to a Nintendo rep about how far out the blast line was. However, I will accept it if the justification is that it keeps players in the game longer.

Senario

Smash Ace
It looks like recovery is stupid broken in this game with very far blast zones and "kill moves" not really killing at all. Dashing mechanics and retention of momentum when jumping isn't helpful. And landing lag is still way too long.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
DK's final smash is....................... the same. :(

It now has a horizontal rolling track with dots that you need to press a button to match up, similar to Guitar Hero, to be made easier now, etc. but still.

I still want to believe that Final Smashes are also customizable for local play, because I don't know why they'd go through the work of putting a bunch of similar Final Smashes in just to take them out.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Although it can very well be called it's own Smash game with it's own playstyle, I still feel it relied heavily on Brawl. Not in the way it plays, but in the way it's presented.

When you compare N64 to Melee to Brawl, you can tell they are 3 completely different games with their own unique playstyle and personality. It's based on preference on which Smash you like best cause they're so different.

But in Smash 4, it felt like developers just took the same code from Brawl and modified it to make it faster, heavier, and smoother. A few other elements from games preceding Brawl are found, but Brawl is still mainly the source. I can totally see why this is the case since development time is so short, but I was hoping this Smash was going to be more unique with its own personality. The most personality we have out of this game are the little touches like colorful attack streaks, menu designs, and moveset/posture changes (Bowser and Yoshi are upright). Outside of that though, it's just a hacked brawl with more characters, stages, and customization.

It hurts even more when you realize almost all of the veterans reuse voice clips and animations straight from Brawl. Only reason they would add new voices clips or animations is if the voice actor changed or if there was a new move. The only veteran with new voice clips from the same voice actor is Kirby. Heck, even with the new announcer, you can tell he clearly tried to mimic the Brawl announcer more than anything. It's not just the deep voice that makes him similar to the Brawl announcer, it's the tone and way he says the characters' name (when he says "Luigi", it's in a distinct light and soft tone that is very similar to how the Brawl guy said it). When I play this game I'm heavily reminded of Brawl, and it's obvious why.

I probably just wanted this game to have a complete makeover with everything made from scratch like in the previous 3 games. But with only 2 years of development, that would be impossible. I dunno, I just have a gripe with people sticking too much on the past instead of making something completely new. It's one of the reasons why I don't support Project M.

I have absolutely no problems with the way it plays however. Again, although visually it's like Brawl, it plays uniquely enough to be its own game. And perhaps this might be the most user-friendly Smash ever because it plays very smoothly in terms of control.

Last edited:

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I have high hopes.. I am sure debugging will fix a few issues, thus the release date of the 3ds being pushed till october and the "holiday season" release of wii u's version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom