• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Demo Impressions - Negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
OK, to be objective, I'll talk about the things I didn't like, although most of these are most likely placeholders or WIPs.

- Sonic not yelling "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!" anymore with his side-taunt.
- Bowser's voice seems to be the terrible Godzilla voice, not the modern Bowser voice, if they were going to make him modern Bowser, I just can't see Sakurai keeping that unfitting, non-canon, terrible voice on the final version.
- Blast zones do seem to be a little too huge, I hope this gets fixed.
- Sonic's almost the same, I hope he either gets more significant overhauls, or he's tweaked to resemble PM Sonic, with the SA pose after his homing attack and stuff :3 I just want one of the coolest gaming icons to be GOOD!
- ZSS' Final Smash seems a little too OP
- Mario kept the Mario Finale
- DK kept the DK Conga (Although it's much better now)
- There's no signs of the Pac-Labyrinth stage on the Wii U, and that worries me...I mean, seriously? That stage was originally a console stage, Arcades aren't something like a 3DS!
- Sakurai gave priority to the notion that the Miis are just 'generic fighters', and although I'm happy for their inclusion, I just wish they had a moveset based on the actually-memorable Mii series, at least give the Swordfighter the Wii Sports Resort laser sword!
- I wish Amiibo had more relevance, like unlocking alternate costumes, I mean, the FPs are useful for me because I rarely get time to practice with real people, but I just wish they were more than 'fighting buddies'.
- There was no Ridley in sight (This is both a positive and a negative).
- I didn't get to play it :p
- Landing lag after some moves seems huge, c'mon! Just give us a faster game for EVERYONE without the need for silly exploits!

Keep this in mind, though, most voiceovers or lack of them are probably placeholders at this point, and maybe we'll get customizable Final Smashes, so many of these negatives could dissapear on the final version.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Feels like brawl HD
DK's back Air change and Final smash
Mario's Final Smash still sucks.
Limited Movement
Living at crazy percents
The Lag on movesets
No combos still...
Didn't feel like a new smash brothers game the way
n64 to melee did.

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does it seem like everything has significant hit stop on it? Maybe to make DI easier? Hit stop is also used in may fighting games to make combos easier. Not sure I feel this is a negative thing, but just an observation. It is slightly annoying in FFA since you're stuck there hitting someone, giving a third person a fair bit of time to hit you.

Signia

Smash Lord
Is it just me or does it seem like everything has significant hit stop on it? Maybe to make DI easier? Hit stop is also used in may fighting games to make combos easier. Not sure I feel this is a negative thing, but just an observation. It is slightly annoying in FFA since you're stuck there hitting someone, giving a third person a fair bit of time to hit you.
While it is true that hit pause/stop/lag whatever you call it makes it easier to hit confirm and combo, the pause is actually there to invoke a feeling of impact.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
OK, to be objective, I'll talk about the things I didn't like,
This is the second time I've seen someone use this word in this way. I do not think it means what you think it means.

One guy at best buy actually said "I think dash dancing is objectively good."

Remember, if it's an opinion, it's not objective.

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
While it is true that hit pause/stop/lag whatever you call it makes it easier to hit confirm and combo, the pause is actually there to invoke a feeling of impact.
I suppose, but it's not like hit stop didn't exist in melee or brawl. I find it odd he'd decide now to significantly increase it. Maybe it'll be different at launch.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Will be playing the demo tomorrow, but man, I am pretty unhyped about it.
The game just looks sooo slowww. Granted im sure its faster than Brawl, as everyone has seemed to say, but most games are faster than Brawl, honestly.

We had a 1v1, itemless match between 2 big named players, and the whole thing looked like Brawl casuals playing. Say what you will, but I feel that THAT is all the info I need to make my decision.

Will play Little Mac tomorrow (since Falcon is no go), and if givin a second shot, DK, just to play a familiar character. I can only assume I will look ridiculous L-cancel and waveland around platforms.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Will be playing the demo tomorrow, but man, I am pretty unhyped about it.
The game just looks sooo slowww. Granted im sure its faster than Brawl, as everyone has seemed to say, but most games are faster than Brawl, honestly.

We had a 1v1, itemless match between 2 big named players, and the whole thing looked like Brawl casuals playing. Say what you will, but I feel that THAT is all the info I need to make my decision.
Well, they were playing a game with which they had no prior experience and had only a handful of FFA matches with items on to get used to the new gameplay. Trying to use Brawl features in a game that clearly isn't Brawl will make any pro feel like a casual until he's better acquainted with the game.

I think it's a little unfair to judge an unfinished game based on what incredibly limited info we have. That said, I do see your point and hope that as the metagame develops that point is proven wrong.

Prince Longstrok

Well, they were playing a game with which they had no prior experience and had only a handful of FFA matches with items on to get used to the new gameplay. Trying to use Brawl features in a game that clearly isn't Brawl will make any pro feel like a casual until he's better acquainted with the game.

I think it's a little unfair to judge an unfinished game based on what incredibly limited info we have. That said, I do see your point and hope that as the metagame develops that point is proven wrong.
Just watched CT's 1v1 episodes.

I retract the harshness of my opinions and lower them a tad, but my view of the game is still... well negative.

If they fix the amount of landing lag on aerial and shrink the blast zones of the stages, Ill accept it as competitive worthy
I feel that is a fair opinion, as its been mentioned that they may tune up teh landing lag on aerials already, and shrinking the blast zones wouldnt be too difficult.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just watched CT's 1v1 episodes.

I retract the harshness of my opinions and lower them a tad, but my view of the game is still... well negative.

If they fix the amount of landing lag on aerial and shrink the blast zones of the stages, Ill accept it as competitive worthy
I feel that is a fair opinion, as its been mentioned that they may tune up teh landing lag on aerials already, and shrinking the blast zones wouldnt be too difficult.
Agreed. I'm by no means defending everything about the game; I just felt that your judgment based on the finals match was unfair.

In playing it for a bit at Best Buy, it more resembles Brawl than Melee, but it still feels much better than Brawl. It's just impossible to know how the changes will translate to 1v1 competitive play until we get the finished product in our hands and the metagame develops. What you've mentioned would be a great pair of changes that I would definitely support.

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
I really don't like Fox's voice from what I heard. It sounds kind of nasally, and it's a shame because I thought his Brawl voice suited him very well

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Mario and DK have the same final smash? God, its not like their Nintendo's most iconic franchises or anything....

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I really don't like Fox's voice from what I heard. It sounds kind of nasally, and it's a shame because I thought his Brawl voice suited him very well
They didn't record him in English yet clearly. Few characters don't have English yet. Little Mac for one.

D

Deleted member 245254

This is the second time I've seen someone use this word in this way. I do not think it means what you think it means.

One guy at best buy actually said "I think dash dancing is objectively good."

Remember, if it's an opinion, it's not objective.
While I agree with your ultimate point, dash dancing pretty much is objectively good, unless you're trying to assert that's it's purely an opinion that a technique that only serves to better your gameplay could be bad in any possible way.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
OK, to be objective, I'll talk about the things I didn't like, although most of these are most likely placeholders or WIPs.

- Sonic not yelling "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!" anymore with his side-taunt.
- Bowser's voice seems to be the terrible Godzilla voice, not the modern Bowser voice, if they were going to make him modern Bowser, I just can't see Sakurai keeping that unfitting, non-canon, terrible voice on the final version.
- Blast zones do seem to be a little too huge, I hope this gets fixed.
- Sonic's almost the same, I hope he either gets more significant overhauls, or he's tweaked to resemble PM Sonic, with the SA pose after his homing attack and stuff :3 I just want one of the coolest gaming icons to be GOOD!
- ZSS' Final Smash seems a little too OP
- Mario kept the Mario Finale
- DK kept the DK Conga (Although it's much better now)
- There's no signs of the Pac-Labyrinth stage on the Wii U, and that worries me...I mean, seriously? That stage was originally a console stage, Arcades aren't something like a 3DS!
- Sakurai gave priority to the notion that the Miis are just 'generic fighters', and although I'm happy for their inclusion, I just wish they had a moveset based on the actually-memorable Mii series, at least give the Swordfighter the Wii Sports Resort laser sword!
- I wish Amiibo had more relevance, like unlocking alternate costumes, I mean, the FPs are useful for me because I rarely get time to practice with real people, but I just wish they were more than 'fighting buddies'.
- There was no Ridley in sight (This is both a positive and a negative).
- I didn't get to play it :p
- Landing lag after some moves seems huge, c'mon! Just give us a faster game for EVERYONE without the need for silly exploits!

Keep this in mind, though, most voiceovers or lack of them are probably placeholders at this point, and maybe we'll get customizable Final Smashes, so many of these negatives could disappear on the final version.
*sigh* This is what I feared. Sakurai's group is focusing so much on the new content, he looks to be neglecting the old material and just leaving at their weaker, Brawl status. Just remake their models in HD, tweak their animations a bit and that's it. Compared to the 3rd party Guest, Mario really feels bland. His his voice, mannerisms, taunts, and the FLUDD Tank have all been butchered, and that's what I hate about the Mario Brothers!

*sigh* I'm never going to get my Jungle Beat powered Donkey Kong.

Mario and DK have the same final smash? God, its not like their Nintendo's most iconic franchises or anything....
Like Sakurai really gives a damn about their iconic legacy. Hell, I don't think he even gave Kirby that much respect.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
*sigh* This is what I feared. Sakurai's group is focusing so much on the new content, he looks to be neglecting the old material and just leaving at their weaker, Brawl status. Just remake their models in HD, tweak their animations a bit and that's it. Compared to the 3rd party Guest, Mario really feels bland. His his voice, mannerisms, taunts, and the FLUDD Tank have all been butchered, and that's what I hate about the Mario Brothers!

*sigh* I'm never going to get my Jungle Beat powered Donkey Kong.

Like Sakurai really gives a damn about their iconic legacy. Hell, I don't think he even gave Kirby that much respect.
To be fair, Ultra Sword's the best thing ever.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
To be fair, Ultra Sword's the best thing ever.
I probably would have liked more if it wasn't just a glorified Triforce Slash.

Give it a short time and allow the Blob to swing it once and every successful slash is equal that to DK's Giant Punch.

That, or just give him Crash or Microphone.

But, I have bigger potential problems with the Pink Blob.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I probably would have liked more if it wasn't just a glorified Triforce Slash.

Give it a short time and allow the Blob to swing it once and every successful slash is equal that to DK's Giant Punch.

That, or just give him Crash or Microphone.

But, I have bigger potential problems with the Pink Blob.
Well, you won't see me complaining, because I love entrapment FSes, just feel more cinematic, like Great Aether.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Nah, on the Treehouse stream he was clearly speaking English for his victory quote, and it sounded a lot like his Star Fox 64 3D VA.
If so, FINALLY! He was only supposed to that voice since 1999! Now all I need is an outfit for the good Fox design!

Video proof please?

Last edited:

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
People expecting for new awesome alternate costumes and different finals smashes... you just don't get it... we get pacman, villager, wii fit trainer, the game is just as dull as before and even though there's even potential for epic DLCs now, we wont get them. A few new cool characters, a few new gimmics, that's it.
There's potential for 50 + 100 DLC characters, weekly updates that balances the game, it wont happen.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Fox sounds like a muppet when he says "Landmastrrrr!!". When he gets hurt he sound ok though.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Waiting in line to play right now. Expectations are fairly low as to avoid any dissappintment.

Oh, and it reeks of basement dweller musk in here e.e

Also, the 3DS version is tied to the belts of best buy guys.
I dont like being that intimate with people when playing smash >->I

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
From what I've played I have only 2 complaints:

1. Landing lag is crazy, some moves have waaay too much (even though my girl Samus' D-Air has none :happysheep: ). Many people want L-canceling back, personally I just want landing lag reduced.
  2. Knockback is too high at lower % and too low at higher %. This is why a lot of people claim combos are impossible and that you can never get knocked off.
Other than those problems the game is fantastic :)

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
My only complaint is that it seems like the knock-off point for stages is a long way out. It feels like every stage has the same borders. EX: In TP a simple knockback at the edge of Eldin Bridge will result in a KO at low percent. Here you don't even if both are off-screen.

Prince Longstrok

Just finished. (actually I finished awhile ago, but.. eating chipotle ;D)

Played at DK, and didnt bother to fight much for the first half since I want to just feel everything out.
I dont think a single person who was launched off stage DIDNT make it back due to their recovery. They had to be forced out of the (obnoxiously large) blast zone. All the kill moves I saw seemed to launch people at too high a trajectory, to where you could recover at high percents even with just your DJ. This, in combo with the new ledge game, seems to me that the game is made for people who didnt like off stage play. You cant ledge hog, (though people are getting launched soo high they dont even NEED the ledge, honestly.)

I cant honestly say that combos are impossible, as I landed a cargohold up throw, to double up-air, to back air. (whether or not this was because the Rosalina was too stupid to air dodge between hits I am unsure. It SEEMED like she was still in hitstun, but.. maybe she wasnt and just didnt air dodge)

Better than Brawl. Much better, but that isnt saying much. Very pretty to look at, but.. with the lack of tech skills, even one as simple as SDI (the drill dozer item WILL take you off stage and kill you because you cant SDI it), and with the severe lack of off stage play, I cant see me playing this game competitive.

Oh, and got the smash ball as well. DK's final smash is the same obviously, but getting claps are easier now with the little bar. Doesnt mean much though when the attack literally pushes people OUT of it so they can chill on the other side of the stage until im done.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Just finished. (actually I finished awhile ago, but.. eating chipotle ;D)

Played at DK, and didnt bother to fight much for the first half since I want to just feel everything out.
I dont think a single person who was launched off stage DIDNT make it back due to their recovery. They had to be forced out of the (obnoxiously large) blast zone. All the kill moves I saw seemed to launch people at too high a trajectory, to where you could recover at high percents even with just your DJ. This, in combo with the new ledge game, seems to me that the game is made for people who didnt like off stage play. You cant ledge hog, (though people are getting launched soo high they dont even NEED the ledge, honestly.)

I cant honestly say that combos are impossible, as I landed a cargohold up throw, to double up-air, to back air. (whether or not this was because the Rosalina was too stupid to air dodge between hits I am unsure. It SEEMED like she was still in hitstun, but.. maybe she wasnt and just didnt air dodge)

Better than Brawl. Much better, but that isnt saying much. Very pretty to look at, but.. with the lack of tech skills, even one as simple as SDI (the drill dozer item WILL take you off stage and kill you because you cant SDI it), and with the severe lack of off stage play, I cant see me playing this game competitive.

Oh, and got the smash ball as well. DK's final smash is the same obviously, but getting claps are easier now with the little bar. Doesnt mean much though when the attack literally pushes people OUT of it so they can chill on the other side of the stage until im done.
Off-stage play has always been a terrible way to play Smash, so I'm very glad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only negative that I can think of is the lack of versatile Smash-Fest locations. I'll never figure out how one of my Best Buy locations were used for last year's E3, but not this year's E3.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and one last thing: Rosalina's final smash is probably the worst one I've seen. Nobody who used it was able to get a kill. Or come close to getting a kill, really.
I definitely think they just didn't know what they were doing, which is completely understandable

I see her final smash being used as a sort of extra help while Rosaline goes to attack (as we've seen her move while the smash is still in usage)...

What do I know though, lol

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
My only negative is being a non-American. Bloody America was the only place that was offered the demo experience.

It's a shame... I hope we're lucky enough to get a demo on eShop in future.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Almost positive you are trolling.
:/ I understand that sometimes people need to jump out and deal some hits, and do some meteor smashes, but it gets boring when half the match gets spent twitching around the stage's ledges, trying to kill someone at 30% instead of just building up damage and launching. Just as some people don't think defensive play should be encouraged, I don't think quick, dare-I-say cheap kills should be encouraged either. I'm not saying edgeguard shouldn't exist, I just think it should be a little harder and it should be done on more precise, puntual situations, rather than always. This is exactly what these ledge mechanics are for, you can guard a ledge, but you can't spend half an hour just desperately chipping people off the ledge like it's some impenetrable fortress.

Prince Longstrok

:/ I understand that sometimes people need to jump out and deal some hits, and do some meteor smashes, but it gets boring when half the match gets spent twitching around the stage's ledges, trying to kill someone at 30% instead of just building up damage and launching. Just as some people don't think defensive play should be encouraged, I don't think quick, dare-I-say cheap kills should be encouraged either. I'm not saying edgeguard shouldn't exist, I just think it should be a little harder and it should be done on more precise, puntual situations, rather than always. This is exactly what these ledge mechanics are for, you can guard a ledge, but you can't spend half an hour just desperately chipping people off the ledge like it's some impenetrable fortress.
It is always a risk when you ump out for the edgeguard.
But, thats the beauty of it. If you dont want to play like that, you dont HAVE to. Say, if you prefer building up steady damage and launching them safely, thats still a viable play style!

gamer8

Smash Lord
The biggest disappointment for me was the return of clone final smashes (Link and Toon link, Zelda and Shiek). I'm okay with Mario and DK keeping their FS, DK's seems better now and easier to use and I've heard Mario's is a little better too. But clone final smashes is just disappointing, especially considering some unique final smashes got changed like Luigi's, Kirby's and Pit's. The triple Landmaster thing became a huge joke among the community near Brawl's release and hopefully that doesn't repeat.

ItalianSheathe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
When you SHDL with fox there is lag, I just wish they would make it like melee where there is no lag. Also, I think everyone from the other smash games should be in but that's me.

Prince Longstrok

The biggest disappointment for me was the return of clone final smashes (Link and Toon link, Zelda and Shiek). I'm okay with Mario and DK keeping their FS, DK's seems better now and easier to use and I've heard Mario's is a little better too. But clone final smashes is just disappointing, especially considering some unique final smashes got changed like Luigi's, Kirby's and Pit's. The triple Landmaster thing became a huge joke among the community near Brawl's release and hopefully that doesn't repeat.
DAMNIT! Tink has a clone FS?

Cmon, Sakurai -.- Get ready for 3 landmasters again, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom