• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Mewtwo is a massive hype generator and deal breaker so Sakurai is going to use him when most advantageous. Japan is literally going nuts over getting Mewtwo (and Roy) back into the game.
Lets not forget Sakurai HAS gone on record saying they are thinking about bringing Mewtwo back. So he does have a rather high chance.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I really should play a Golden Sun game one of these days...
Do it. Now.

You know what would be a good way to pass the time?

Watching all the currently available Smash trailers. :troll:
All of them! Jeez, I don't have that much time...

I hope S-Money does a developer direct type deal with Rosaluma and LM. That's almost my favourite trailer because it's longer than 5 seconds and you can actually see the game in motion without it being ripped away.

I guess that's what I'm looking most forward to, extended gameplay footage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Warning Received
This is one of my first replies on this forum!

Really hope they show off more from the 3DS game.
Welcome aboard then.

So how many teams are there?

#TeamGodess
#TeamBossReptiles
#TeamSwordGuys
#TeamNamco
#TeamKonami
#TeamFortress2

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Main things I'm expecting:

A release date
A newcomer
A veteran

Anything else is icing on the cake.
This is basically what I'm expecting. Mii, hopefully Snake, a release date, and a bunch of gameplay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Since the whole thing is about 20 minutes (I'm guessing) and on average character trailers are two minutes long I expect to see a lot of features shown off.

And I think the WiiU version will launch before the 3DS version because it looks more complete. If you notice in some of the 3DS shots, character's fingers don't move like they should.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Lets not forget Sakurai HAS gone on record saying they are thinking about bringing Mewtwo back. So he does have a rather high chance.
Oh I know he has a high chance of returning. I never suggested he would not return. I just questioned the time and place of his unveiling. I personally find it to be more advantageous to reveal him at E3 as it is closer to the actual release date.

But I can see him being revealed on Wednesday.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually don't think Mewtwo will be shown pre-release. He just feels like the type of super hype character they'll keep as a hidden character until the very end.

Tingle's Waifu

Smash Rookie
In all honesty, I predict 1-2 new characters, details of online and how the 3ds/wii U interaction works, a surprise and all the 64 veterans.

splat

Smash Lord
I've just rewatched the Pokémon Direct from September 4th, because I feel like we're going to get a Direct that'll be similar to that one.

Based on that particular direct, this is what I can see happening:
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we'd get a lot of talk about the feel of Smash 4 and the previous installments; how did the series change over time and how far it has come, etc.
  • I'm assuming we'll get some information on the single player mode and the reasoning behind it (i.e. the replacement for SSE/adventure mode), while still maintaining some sort of secrecy - they're not going to spoil it completely.
  • I'm putting money on the 'communication' options between the 3DS and Wii U installments. Possibly online functions, too?
  • I'm sure we'll get at least one newcomer, and I'm thinking we'll get a lot of discussing about that character. There will probably be some returning characters, though I doubt they'll get as much attention as the newcomer.
  • A release date sounds like a logical thing to mention in a Direct, but I can't help but feel like they're keeping that for the E3. Would be a nice surprise, though.

R0Y

Smash Master
I can see Mewtwo but I doubt I return :/

I guess Mewtwo would be revealed as a veteran?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I actually don't think Mewtwo will be shown pre-release. He just feels like the type of super hype character they'll keep as a hidden character until the very end.
Question is will Mewtwo get a reveal trailer or be treated as a returning veteran? There always seems to be a bit of a "razzed dazzle" feel with the reveal trailers. Back after the release of Brawl, while we knew of the new hidden characters, the actual update on the Dojo site wasn't too surprising. Unless you didn't know...

I would say that if Sakurai wants to hype up Ridley and Mewtwo, he's reveal them either at E3 or just prior to the release date. That when we can all be shocked when, during a Direct, they are suddenly revealed rather than us knowing due to leakers or people who unlocked the characters quickly.

If any of that makes sense...

And @ splat splat knows where's it at. I agree 100%.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I could see Mewtwo getting a short 30 to 40 second trailer, like how sonic got one. It's a major returning character so it would make sense they would give them a video to enhance the hype for 'em.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mewtwo returning would be an interesting precedent though, skipping 1 game and coming back the next. As it still has never happened before I'm not fully convinced it'll happen. But you never know.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This thread crossed 1000 replies too quickly. :laugh:

I think it's reasonable to expect two veterans and newcomers each. I'm not putting any guesses on who they might be, though I do hope for Isaac and Palutena.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
It's time again for hashtags:
#TeamDillon
#TeamKingK.Rool
#TeamTakamaru

I just had a feeling this morning and this is the list I end up with. This list has all what's needed in terms of newcomer: 1) Takamaru: Retro(and also almost expected newcomer) 2) King K.Rool: Most Wanted newcomer and 3) Dillon: a newcomer from a new series with less supporters meaning there are more people not expecting to see Dillon ;)

E3 may be too big for a newcomer such as Dillon but the Smash Direct would be perfect to give him more spotlight than in a regular Direct and still it wouldn't be an opportunity as big as E3.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I suppose that if they show more of Rosalina's gameplay, they might as well confirm the Ice Climbers because of the dual character team thing similarities?

Also:

#TeamPalutena
#TeamChrom
#TeamTakamaru
#TeamIsaac
#TeamBayonetta

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
yea, I remember Sakurai said in an interview the Ice Climbers were giving them trouble due to the double character mechanic on the 3DS. However with Rosalina, it shows they got the Double character thing on the 3DS working properly, so theirs no real reason for them not to be

#TeamPalutena
#TeamShulk
#TeamTakamaru
#TeamCaptain Rainbow
#TeamBayonetta
#TeamSimon Belmont

T

Trick or Treat

As it still has never happened before I'm not fully convinced it'll happen. But you never know.
There's only been three games, dude. You can't really judge anything based on 3 games. There are no patterns or 'precedents' yet.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Are you guys ready for Mii?

Because I'm pretty sure they will be revealed in the direct.

It's the perfect opportunity for Sakurai to sit down and explain them.
No >:(

I dot mind the character, but Miis would look so aesthetically displeasing when they're put next to other characters. It kind of even shows with WFT, but it still feels like she fits the art style.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Besides character returnign from absence is nothing new in fighting games. By the end of the Alpha series Capcom had added all the cast of Street Fighter 2 back even when it made no sense.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There's only been three games, dude. You can't really judge anything based on 3 games. There are no patterns or 'precedents' yet.
I think there are definitely some precedents, even if they're easy to manipulate/misconstrue however you'd like them to be. For example, Lucario being the "clone" of Mewtwo, postdating him yet being announced before him (but this doesn't indicate anything considering Lucas > Ness in Brawl). Mewtwo has been the pseudo flagship of a new Pokemon generation, but wasn't announced earlier.

Continue the line of logic ad infinitum =:>

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Besides the big things like release date/window, I am interested in seeing little things like the character select screen.

Still hoping to see if DK has his DKC roll instead of that slide kick too

T

Trick or Treat

I think there are definitely some precedents, even if they're easy to manipulate/misconstrue however you'd like them to be. For example, Lucario being the "clone" of Mewtwo, postdating him yet being announced before him (but this doesn't indicate anything considering Lucas > Ness in Brawl). Mewtwo has been the pseudo flagship of a new Pokemon generation, but wasn't announced earlier.

Continue the line of logic ad infinitum =:>
My point is that you said a character has yet to skip a game. With three games only, there's only been one instance when that was even possible.

Nothing means anything right now. There's too small of a sample size.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I would like to think the Ice Climbers would be revealed the 25th for NES Remix 2, but they can be revealed on Tuesday. All I know is that we will either see Miis or Palutena, I'm very confident.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Part of me wants to believe that this will be awesome and that we will get loads of new info on items, stages etc along with a new character (preferable Isaac from Golden Sun). But this is Current Nintendo we're talking about. It will probably be them talking about how you can share stuff on Miiverse and how you will get the white tanooki suit if you keep getting KO'd followed by some commercial of a stereotypical white yuppie family playing the game together.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
This is one of my first replies on this forum!

Really hope they show off more from the 3DS game.
... you don't happen to have a identical/similar avatar on SmashGAF, and is pretty much only interested in the 3DS version? I follow SmashGAF a lot, so I thought maybe you are that person. If now, my bad. D:

Ahem. On topic, Palutena would be awesome, but since I am already sure she is in the game, I would be much happier if Another of my most wanted were revealed. Like Ridley, or even Mewtwo. But of course, any newcomer is awesome~

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Part of me wants to believe that this will be awesome and that we will get loads of new info on items, stages etc along with a new character (preferable Isaac from Golden Sun). But this is Current Nintendo we're talking about. It will probably be them talking about how you can share stuff on Miiverse and how you will get the white tanooki suit if you keep getting KO'd followed by some commercial of a stereotypical white yuppie family playing the game together.
This is current Nintendo we're talking about, the same people that have Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World...the short version: SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
God, if there's a place where mindless Nintendo hate doesn't fit, it's on Smashboards, oh, and Miiverse is Nintendo's successful attempt at social gaming, something their competitors have failed to do. And I myself...I'm pretty excited about how Sakurai could utilize Miiverse with Super Smash Bros.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
This is current Nintendo we're talking about, the same people that have Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World...the short version: SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
God, if there's a place where mindless Nintendo hate doesn't fit, it's on Smashboards, oh, and Miiverse is Nintendo's successful attempt at social gaming, something their competitors have failed to do. And I myself...I'm pretty excited about how Sakurai could utilize Miiverse with Super Smash Bros.
Fair enough. But I still think a good chunk will be casual stuff.

Last edited:

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Err...from what I can see, Palutena is pretty much the #1 most requested character along with Mewtwo. Nonetheless, I can see them being shown at the direct.
I'm pretty sure she and a couple of specific reptilian angry-guys easily rank up in the tops of the major US poll thingies, as I've seen it before, and I doubt it's changed. So I agree that I have no idea what they're even talking about.

The only popular character worldwide that isn't more requested over here than in Japan is...Shulk, I think? Maybe they like K. Rool more? I can't even remember.

I tend to disagree. I concede, Palutena did have a group of supporters from the beginning (but then, so did most characters). Comparing her to the popularity of Ridley or Mewtwo is ludicrous to me, as I'm almost certain the only reason she comes up so much in conversation nowadays is because of the infamous Palutena leak, which is the only remotely convincing leak to date.

Think back to E3 2013. Everyone knew who Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer were - Mega Man is a staple of videogaming in general, and Wii Fit was one of the most casual games in the Wii era. As for the Villager - he is essentially a generic avatar, so you can see why recognition for that character wouldn't be as important.

How does Palutena stack up to these, then? Well, she is a fairly obscure character. Kid Icarus is by far one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, and even then, Palutena is not as important to the franchise as Pit himself.

Just remember, the bubble that SmashBoards and the rest of the Smash community operates in is not representative of the entire audience for Smash Bros. In fact, you could say we are the minority. Outside of this bubble, I can imagine Palutena being barely ever spoken of.

TL;DR Palutena is not well-known enough to be shown at E3, like I said earlier.

Top Bottom