• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I tend to disagree. I concede, Palutena did have a group of supporters from the beginning (but then, so did most characters). Comparing her to the popularity of Ridley or Mewtwo is ludicrous to me, as I'm almost certain the only reason she comes up so much in conversation nowadays is because of the infamous Palutena leak, which is the only remotely convincing leak to date.

Think back to E3 2013. Everyone knew who Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer were - Mega Man is a staple of videogaming in general, and Wii Fit was one of the most casual games in the Wii era. As for the Villager - he is essentially a generic avatar, so you can see why recognition for that character wouldn't be as important.

How does Palutena stack up to these, then? Well, she is a fairly obscure character. Kid Icarus is by far one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, and even then, Palutena is not as important to the franchise as Pit himself.

Just remember, the bubble that SmashBoards and the rest of the Smash community operates in is not representative of the entire audience for Smash Bros. In fact, you could say we are the minority. Outside of this bubble, I can imagine Palutena being barely ever spoken of.

TL;DR Palutena is not well-known enough to be shown at E3, like I said earlier.
Well, Kid Icarus: Uprising and SBBB were both INMENSELY popular games, and Palutena had her first 'real' appearances on those games.

T

Trick or Treat

Current Nintendo isn't bad at all. I used to think they were, like "Omg no games the wii u sucks nintendo sucks " but that's not the case at all, once I actually started buying games and the like. Sure, they could be better, but it isn't nearly as bad as what most people make it out to be.

Just remember, the bubble that SmashBoards and the rest of the Smash community operates in is not representative of the entire audience for Smash Bros. In fact, you could say we are the minority.
Someone finally speaks the truth.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Already a day has passed and I want the direct already. D:
EDIT: I'll probably contribute to that post bout Palutena later.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I tend to disagree. I concede, Palutena did have a group of supporters from the beginning (but then, so did most characters). Comparing her to the popularity of Ridley or Mewtwo is ludicrous to me, as I'm almost certain the only reason she comes up so much in conversation nowadays is because of the infamous Palutena leak, which is the only remotely convincing leak to date.

Think back to E3 2013. Everyone knew who Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer were - Mega Man is a staple of videogaming in general, and Wii Fit was one of the most casual games in the Wii era. As for the Villager - he is essentially a generic avatar, so you can see why recognition for that character wouldn't be as important.

How does Palutena stack up to these, then? Well, she is a fairly obscure character. Kid Icarus is by far one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, and even then, Palutena is not as important to the franchise as Pit himself.

Just remember, the bubble that SmashBoards and the rest of the Smash community operates in is not representative of the entire audience for Smash Bros. In fact, you could say we are the minority. Outside of this bubble, I can imagine Palutena being barely ever spoken of.

TL;DR Palutena is not well-known enough to be shown at E3, like I said earlier.
Two things
First, Sakurai wants to have the representation spread out. From his 2008 GDC Speech
Additionally, new additions to the roster had to improve the balance of series representation -- you don't want half of the roster from the Mario series, or Zelda.
The most popular characters from Nintendo will be from the biggest series, but not all of the characters will come from there. Remember that no one knew who Lucas was outside of Japan. All of the additions will not be ones everyone knows.

Second, Palutena is the next most important character in the series besides Pit himself. She's who you rescue at the end of the first game and she is the next most important character in Uprising. She also has the next most screen time. Not to mention the series is named after her in Japan.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, maybe Palutena isn't comparable to RIDLEY in terms of popularity, but to say she ISN'T popular in the west undermines her quite a bit.

This was pre-leak too, and even pre-announcement, it got to the point where she was on almost everyone's rosters.

However, I agree that she isn't E3 material, and will most likely be shown in a direct.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
People expect Miis? Thats a surprise, even Im not expecting Miis (And theyre one of my favorite characters in any game; hence my username :p) Honestly, I expect to see Palutena, maybe Chrom or Ridley, but nothing too far out of that range. I certainly expect there to b at least 2 characters revealed.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Two things
First, Sakurai wants to have the representation spread out. From his 2008 GDC Speech
Additionally, new additions to the roster had to improve the balance of series representation -- you don't want half of the roster from the Mario series, or Zelda.
The most popular characters from Nintendo will be from the biggest series, but not all of the characters will come from there. Remember that no one knew who Lucas was outside of Japan. All of the additions will not be ones everyone knows.

Second, Palutena is the next most important character in the series besides Pit himself. She's who you rescue at the end of the first game and she is the next most important character in Uprising. She also has the next most screen time. Not to mention the series is named after her in Japan.
You seem to be missing my point. Don't get me wrong, at this point it's almost guaranteed that Palutena will be in the game (a few pages back I said bet that she'd be in the Direct). I am saying that Palutena is not well-known enough to be shown at E3 specifically.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
You seem to be missing my point. Don't get me wrong, at this point it's almost guaranteed that Palutena will be in the game (a few pages back I said bet that she'd be in the Direct). I am saying that Palutena is not well-known enough to be shown at E3 specifically.
Question: Who would be known well enough to show at E3?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So we are probably getting a veteran on Monday... Might as well predict something ridiculous... Since Sakurai is unpredictable. So that being said. We'll get one newcomer for the direct and no veterans.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In this case, you're 100% correct. This also applies to characters like Takamaru and Shulk, although Takamaru might be different based on how they want to introduce him.

E3 is K. Roodley or bust, though. Also Pac-Miis...sigh.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
So we are probably getting a veteran on Monday... Might as well predict something ridiculous... Since Sakurai is unpredictable. So that being said. We'll get one newcomer for the direct and no veterans.
Well, if anything, all well get is a pic to hype us up for the Direct

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The ironic thing is that E3 is normally the time when unexpected characters are revealed.

Unless people are suddenly forgetting Wii Fit Trainer happened. Hell, people seem to be forgetting the first Brawl trailer had Pit, Zero Suit Samus, and Snake.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Why do you think we won't see a veteran this Direct? I expect at least one newcomer and one veteran.
The ironic thing is that E3 is normally the time when unexpected characters are revealed.

Unless people are suddenly forgetting Wii Fit Trainer happened. Hell, people seem to be forgetting the first Brawl trailer had Pit, Zero Suit Samus, and Snake.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were completely expected.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's certainly true they like to have surprises there, so Takamaru (for the general audience) and Pac-Miis are good choices. But there's also a precedent for Wario, Meta Knight and Mega Man for expected hype, so K. Rool/Ridley are still great choices.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
That's certainly true they like to have surprises there, so Takamaru (for the general audience) and Pac-Miis are good choices. But there's also a precedent for Wario, Meta Knight and Mega Man for expected hype, so K. Rool/Ridley are still great choices.
Because of that Soraya Song tweet..i think Shulk might get annouced

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well.
That's what happens when you expect your wishlist and nothing else...

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Why do you think we won't see a veteran this Direct? I expect at least one newcomer and one veteran.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were completely expected.
I was joking that Sakurai is unpredictable. Everyone seems to be expecting a veteran and a newcomer. I'm saying that Sakurai is so unpredictable we will get the veteran on monday before the direct. When everyone expect stuff thats when it normally ends up being something else.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Dont know if this was discussed already here, brought up at NeoGAF

https://twitter.com/sorayasaga/status/452422712183386112

Translation: "Smash Bros is fun~" :p

She usually tweets things before a Direct that involve X. Possible reveal of Shulk/X Protagonist on the 8th?
...And below that tweet.
"Shouldn't I simply look forward to other companies' games? (the proper translation of 楽しみ is "I'm looking forward to".)"
So, there's that...

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

The Direct starts off with a battle in the original Smash Bros 64. Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Ness are battling it out. Then it shifts to Smash Bros 4, with the same characters continuing their battle.

Boom.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yea a veteran on Monday is unlikely. I don't think it will happen. But I won't be surprised if it does.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Hot damn I miss this feeling of excitement for smash. Can't believe it's been 6 years since Brawl level hype.

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if someone already posted this, but
isitafrigginsign.png
Why are pikachu's ears peeking out of his rectangle? this probably means nothing, but I didn't notice it for anyone else.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If you check the home pages of both the Wii U eShop and the Nintendo 3DS eShop, they are both advertising this Super Smash Bros. Direct.

This **** is getting super serious business now!

*breathing intensifies*

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
View attachment 11439
Why are pikachu's ears peeking out of his rectangle? this probably means nothing, but I didn't notice it for anyone else.
Pikachu is trying to invade the internet!!! (Too late.)

I'd love to hype today away, but I've got Spanish (and Captain America 2 to see).

Happy Hype day everyone! And may the speculation be ever in your favor.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Probably because Pikachu would look weird with the black parts of his ears cut off. They probably could've found another way of fixing it though.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
A direct I can finally watch as soon as I get home from school?
And it's SMASH?

yeah yeah, I'm a few 30 pages late don't judge me.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
View attachment 11439
Haha, Pikachu gives no f's. Or then it's just failed coding. Reminds me of all the times Pikachu pops out of the logo for Pokémon movies. At least I think he does.

Also, Olimar & Pikmin seem to defy gravity in their shot.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, maybe Palutena isn't comparable to RIDLEY in terms of popularity, but to say she ISN'T popular in the west undermines her quite a bit.
I may get pummeled for this, but I beg to differ.
Is she E3 material? Admittedly not. But she's probably just as popular, if not more so, than Ridley. It's just that Ridley's fanbase is obnoxiously loud about their support.
(Myself included, so I can say that)
While Palutena's fanbase isn't as vocal, it is just as large, especially considering Ridley's lacking popularity in Japan.
Palutena doesn't have too much of a hatebase, either. Ridley has a ton of detractors while Palutena seems to be one of those characters most people can agree on at this point.

Ridley is certainly E3 material due to his large popularity in the West, though.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Thought I'd do a written bingo card for fakes we'll be debunking before Tuesday... so yea I'm
waiting for the 'leaks' describing the Smash Bros Direct that lists off a combo of:
(It's also stuff that we can all see some of being shown I think... I don't see any of it as much of a stretch)
  • A release date which is due to be confirmed at start of direct for June/July
  • the return of stage builder confirmed along with a breakdown of some of the new features
  • gameplay footage shown depicting only the characters that have been confirmed but not shown yet,
  • two characters revealed new with one of them either:
  1. preceded by footage from a new game they're tied to
  2. followed by the game it was pretending to be a trailer for similar to Rosalina and MK8
(
Shulk with new X footage
Bayonetta with new footage of Bayo2
New Zelda rep or Ganondorf/(Shiek/Impa) with Hyrule Warriors footage
)
  • 1 or 2 of the characters (including vets) announced will be transform-based characters ("They haven't decided if they'll show both" = double points)
  • At least 3 veterans shown
  • Snake is back, gets short trailer
  • Mewtwo is back, gets short trailer
  • Palutena in an all-female trailer
  • Alien planet/interior themed trailer featuring Fox, another Starfox vet, Samus and Rosalina that builds to Ridley
  • Chrom(/&Lucina) or Robin
  • Takamura with new game announced
  • Adventure mode shown
  • 3DS exclusive features revealed along with cross-console connectivity
  • Villager, Mii, Robin can be altered to match your respective avatars from their games
  • at least one of Ike, Wolf, Lucas & R.O.B. shown
  • character revealed via an AT character featuring to start before actual fighter steps in and knocks them away
  • Starting selection revealed

Top Bottom