• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
In my recent hype for Palutena, I changed my Avatar, let's hope I am right! Let's all change our avatars to characters we will think will be revealed, it will be fun!
If I can find a Shulk-Spinda hybrid thing, I'll do it. Or maybe a Captain Rainbow one... decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Why is it that when I googled for this, there was more fat yaoi than pictures of either of them?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And now, to upkeep a proud Smashboards tradition:

It's probably not likely but along with newcomers I would like a veteran dump of sorts. Of my favorites, Ness, the Ice Climbers, Wario, and Ike haven't been confirmed yet and I'd like it if at least one of them was confirmed.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I will say any of the following in terms of likeliness:
  1. Palutena: Most Likely. She has so much going for her right now.
  2. Mii: Decent chance of being shown, Miis are pretty likely at this point.
  3. Chrom: Why not? I just want the leak to be disproven or proven.
  4. Pac-Man and/or Snake: A third-party reveal would't shock me, but it would if that was all we got. A third party IMO won't be shown off over these four above.
  5. Mewtwo: Eh, save it for E3... still some chance since it's a Smash-based Direct I guess
Cough cough, Takamaru.

And the Chrom leak was disproven by the leaker.

Last edited:

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I cant wait for this direct. I will be at school when I watch it. Honestly since we are getting a direct this early, this leads me to think that Smash Bros may come out in August/September. This would make sense, since some one at Nintendo did say that the Wii U would see a better flow if games this year.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Out of EVERYTHING everyone wanted to see like characters/stages/gameplay/release, I want to see all of that including the cover art for the game maybe?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Here is a perfect song to listen to while waiting, I made it myself. Tell me how it is, so I can make Smash 4's cover better.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Snake was apparently asked to be included in melee, but the game was already pretty much finished and it was too late.

And the "excuse" about not including GZ on the wii u is completely valid. Sakurai Ported mgs3d to the 3ds and instead of just some watered down port, he updated EVERY model in the game, added a stunning 3d display as well as adding features from later games in the series, and also found a way to use pretty much every 3ds feature sans streetpass. The man is strange in how he goes about things, but if he makes a game for the Wii U he's going to do it right.

Sonic was the most popular character on polls, and they pretty much cut out mewtwo and roy to bring him in.
Now Mewtwo and Roy are the most popular characters on the polls.
I guess you can't please anyone.

Edit: the number one thing that would make cutting Snake okay is Shulk. I'd still be mad, but shulk would be awesome in turn.
when u said Sakurai do u mean Kojima cause i'm sure sakurai didn't port it to the 3ds?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
when u said Sakurai do u mean Kojima cause i'm sure sakurai didn't port it to the 3ds?
oops oops oops.
I always mix up developer's names. Sorry.
Edited the post.

Can't have a Smash Bros. title without everyone's heroic green dino.
I'd figure him more likely for showing off when his game comes out in japan. There are other veterans who don't really have a release date to be shown alongside that can be shown here.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
oops oops oops.
Edited the post.

I'd figure him more likely for showing off when his game comes out in japan. There are other veterans who don't really have a release date to be shown alongside that can be shown here.
No problem i was just double checking :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Looks like the veteran reveals will be dealing with a lot of competition then.

I do know that if Mewtwo is planned to return, it might be held back until E3 if it's going to represent mega evolutions as well.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
The context surrounding this direct, and the 2nd Pokemon direct are a fair bit different, but it's the closest analog that I know much about (I don't know much about specific game oriented directs sorry :p). In that Pokemon direct if I'm not mistaken we saw the following:

-A review of the history of the Pokemon games. This took up almost half of the direct.
-A new service (The Pokemon Bank)
-Some more details regarding something already talked about (MegaEvolution)
-A small detail that was still kinda nice to know (getting to choose a 1st gen starter)
-3 new mega evolutions (The starters).

If Smash follows a similar pattern we are apt to see the following:

-A review of Smash history. Likely not as long as Smash has less history to talk about, but still probably a few minutes at least.
-A new feature or game mode (new adventure mode maybe?)
-More details about "directionality" of attacks.
-3 character confirmations (1 new 2 vet? 2 new 1 vet? who knows)
-A release date? (It was mentioned in the Pokemon direct but then again for that direct we already knew what it was)

Regardless, as I already mentioned, the context is quite a bit different so who knows? At any rate, this is where my expectations are at.

Max:
-2 new
-3 vets
-Directionality explained in detail
-Adventure mode explained in detail
-1 more mode revealed or hinted at.
-Release date
-Nontrivial Gameplay Footage.
Expect:
-1 new
-2 vets
-Directionality clarified somewhat
-Some mention of a game mode
-Release date
-Nontrivial Gameplay Footage
Minimum (No disappointment):
-1 new
-Directionality or Adventure mode clarified somewhat
Absolute Minimum (That could happen):
-1 new

As for who any of the revealed character(s) will be, I won't even hazard a guess. Big Mac really surprised me with when he was revealed, so I have no idea.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ness and Captain Falcon are THE veterans to show off.
They are long overdue.
Don't forget the Puff, or you'll be Rested in your sleep :jigglypuffmelee:

So I heard the creator of Xenoblade tweeted, Shulk revealed at this direct? :0
She retweeted it yeah, but later also tweeted that she finds it a bit annoying how people jumped to conclusions, and that she's just following Smash herself.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I can see up to 3 vets revealed. I will go out on a limb and say they would be Ness/Lucas, Capain Falcon, and Pokemon Trainer. Maybe Wario at a lesser extent.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'm already in a bad mood, so I'm going to act like that jerky guy I usually refrain from being like.

If people say that the most likely newcomers include characters I don't want like Pac Man and Mii, you guys just killed my hype. That's right, I have no expectations, and am not even excited for this direct anymore.

I'm sorry guys, I just needed to vent.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They were unlockable in Brawl, so there is no reason to believe they would be revealed early.
At this point, I don't think Sakurai really cares if he reveals past unlockables early, since he has done that with Luigi, Toon Link, and Lucario. This is pretty much why I'm bringing up the statement that early character confirmations do not equal instant starters.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I'm already in a bad mood, so I'm going to act like that jerky guy I usually refrain from being like.

If people say that the most likely newcomers include characters I don't want like Pac Man and Mii, you guys just killed my hype. That's right, I have no expectations, and am not even excited for this direct anymore.

Don't worry, there's seriously no way Pac is getting in.
Even Sakurai laughed at the idea, though I can't find interview.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is evident how? (not being a smart ***, just wondering)
Chronobound and a few other users who can read Japanese and have gone to Japanese boards have been met by a ton of people who want Mewtwo and Roy to come back, more so than any other newcomer requests (their newcomer requests seem to be pretty split in general.)

The Direct will be much more than just a newcomer reveal. Sure we might get Mii, but **** that, we're also going to get tons of gameplay, details and more to boot. The newcomer reveal, while exciting, isn't why I'm pumped for this Direct. Unless it happens to be Ridley or K. Rool of course, in which case it's definitely going to be the best part of it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's directionality?

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
I'm so glad I have to deal with only one school day just to watch the Direct.

As for Mewtwo, I'm thinking it'll be left as an unlockable character, and not publicly announced. Sure, Luigi, Marth, and Toon Link have all been revealed even though they're unlockable in the previous games, but with Lucario already announced, I can imagine Mewtwo being held back.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So I heard the creator of Xenoblade tweeted, Shulk revealed at this direct? :0
to be fair Next Level did tweet about the direct, when Mac was revealed, but so did a LOT of game companies... of course that one wasnt smash specific...

Last edited:

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I have to say that if vets are being revealed (which they are without a doubt are going to be) they will reveal veterans from franchises that have not been shown off yet and have no games coming up. So for veterans I'm leaning with Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice climbers, Game & Watch, and to a lesser extent R.O.B. and Wario. I think if any number of these characters are in, they'll be shown off in one cinematic like at E3 for the first 9 veterans.

If Mewtwo and/or Snake are in I feel like they'll have their own cinematics since they seem to be special cases; Mewtwo being absent from Brawl and Snake being third party makes me view them as different from other veterans and thus deserving more attention.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
oops oops oops.
Edited the post.

unless the whisperings are true (combined with the educated guesses) and Smash is out at almost the same time, much less likely to save him til then if that's the case IMO

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
(psst... Toon Link)
He had a big release to promote though. Luigi had his year. Lucario promoted X & Y, and apparently had special significance in Brawl's development, so he was revealed on Brawl's anniversary. Marth is an odd one, I'll admit.

I'm only ASSUMING we're getting unlockable characters, though. It's possible they may ditch the idea because of the focus on online play.

There is no reason to believe Ness and Captain Falcon would be revealed before the game releases, though. VC releases are not a big enough reason.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm just saying, I will be very depressed if Issac is skipped over Shulk, or frankly, any one else. He really is the best representation of Nintendo's history as another contender. At least in my opinion. He was the most wanted newcomer on the boards to begin with when this game was revealed if I'm not mistaken...now people are wanting characters that barely represent Nintendo at all... like Shulk/Dillion.

This is not a hate post. It's just my opinion. If ANY newcomer makes it in, I'll be happy for them.

But Issac was really skipped over in Brawl, and now with Little Mac coming from an assist trophy, and Charizard originally coming from a Pokeball... I'll just be mortified if this direct doesn't reveal him. Since Golden Sun comes out on VC on the 17th, and this is most likely the only "Smash Direct" we'd be getting for awhile, I don't think he as a better chance of being revealed, at least, prior to release.

Top Bottom