• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I just need them to say the release date so I know the amount of time to set on my cryo-tube. Gonna pass the time as a popsicle until the game comes out.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
As I read some replies on here I can't help but feel like certain people are getting ahead of themselves with expectations for this thing. People thinking there will be 2 vets AND two newcomers plus other bonus stuff are setting themselves up for disappointment. No doubt this will be a big event, the biggest for Smash 4 since E3, and I personally would love 2 vets + 2 newcomers, but people should ground their expectations so come Tuesday we're not all upset. (people are bound to be upset regardless but whatever)
so...10 veterans + 10 newcomers + a release date in May and an announcement that everyone watching the Direct will receive a free copy of both versions of this game along with a Wii U and 3DS? Hype hype hype!!!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Realistic expectation: Newcomer, developer-like video with sakurai talking about Rosalina, Mac and Palutena new newcomer, clarification on 3DS and Wii U version differences, release window

A bit more on the hopeful side: third party character/important veteran reveal (Snake/Mewtwo) ALONG with a newcomer reveal, release date

Very hopeful: more than one newcomer, demo, release date between June and August.

Also, I think Classic/All-Star/Event/Melee Adventure 2.0 is just fine in terms of single player for me when it comes to the Wii U, and instead they focus on a solid online experience, better spectator mode, communities, etc.
It's for the 3DS that I want them to go all out when it comes to single player. How? I'm not exactly sure, but it's much more necessary since that's the version that requires more single player experience.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If we somehow get a demo.
I'd die happy.
But if you die, you won't be able to play the demo! D:

Also, if we get a demo, be prepared for lots and lots of gameplay of it on YouTube. :laugh:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Personally I think Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing, innovative game. The potential for a Smash Bros. stage considering Xenoblade's art direction along with its music is immense. Given the game's popularity in Japan, I think Shulk's inclusion is not unlikely.

Having said that, I absolutely hate Shulk as a character. First, his outfit looks like something a wealthy heiress from 19th century London would wear. Secondly, and also not unlike a woman, Shulk is INCREDIBLELY annoying; he talks way too much. And he's always talking to his sword. Always. Why don't you marry the Mondao already?! Jesus.

Have you ever heard the expression a weapon doesn't make the man? In Shulk's case, this is not true. The Monado is badass. Shulk sucks. And he's worthless without it.

It's funny how torn I am. I want Shulk in Smash Bros. because Xenoblade deserves to be represented. But lord almighty do I hate Shulk. As far as new sword wielders go, I'd much rather have Isaac.

But I digress. If we're talking what newcomers to expect at the Direct, somehow I'm thinking we're going to get a third party newcomer or a new playable villain. We haven't had any new villains yet, and a third party rep would seem appropriate for a big Smash Bros. specific direct.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Ridley and/or Simon Belmont.

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
When it comes to "spoilers", I know earlier I said I wanted to go in blind, but that's one of those things that's easier said than done. :p

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
so...10 veterans + 10 newcomers + a release date in May and an announcement that everyone watching the Direct will receive a free copy of both versions of this game along with a Wii U and 3DS? Hype hype hype!!!
I'll have one, please. With extra hype.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also, if we get a demo, be prepared for lots and lots of gameplay of it on YouTube. :laugh:
At this rate, I could care less.
Sure, we'll probably have countless videos with scarecams (or facecams) taking up 90% of the screen.
But at least I can enjoy Smash myself.

Maybe it'll help me find my main.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have no doubt that we'll see a newcomer, possibly a veteran as well.

I think expecting two newcomers is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I'm not sure if we'll see Mewtwo just yet, but I'd be happy to eat my words. I also can't really see Pac-man getting revealed until E3.

I think we'll see either Ridley or Palutena in this Direct.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot of things are pointing to Palutena's reveal. Sakurai has been teasing us with several provocative KI updates for a while now, pretty much ever since the almighty leak, and kind of like how Rosalina's stage got revealed and then followed Rosalina, I think Tuesday has a high possibility of being much the same case for Palutena. I'm still trying to follow my own advice and keep my hype contained, though a newcomer is inevitable and Palutena is the most likely.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Apparently one of the notes we, at least I did, missed yesterday was Sakurai intentionally announced the direct early so he could give people time to prepare. Heard someone mention it on GAF and went to check myself; yep, that's what he said. What could he possibly be wanting people to prepare for? We'll find out in three days.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Besides a release date I'm interested in seeing some gameplay if only just a single match w/ skilled players.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Apparently one of the notes we, at least I did, missed yesterday was Sakurai intentionally announced the direct early so he could give people time to prepare. Heard someone mention it on GAF and went to check myself; yep, that's what he said. What could he possibly be wanting people to prepare for? We'll find out in three days.
He wants us to get our bodies ready for the most epic of announcements.

Or he's trolling, and the Direct is nothing special. Who knows?

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I think that there will be one newcomer reveal alongside one of those dev diaries where he explains new characters and changes to veterans more in detail. Also maybe some clarification on things like 3ds/Wii u connectivity, customization, and story/adventure mode.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I have no doubt that we'll see a newcomer, possibly a veteran as well.

I think expecting two newcomers is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I'm not sure if we'll see Mewtwo just yet, but I'd be happy to eat my words. I also can't really see Pac-man getting revealed until E3.

I think we'll see either Ridley or Palutena in this Direct.
I think the whole "two newcomers" thing, while wishful thinking, also stems from the way Villager and Mega Man were revealed in the same clip when Sm4sh was first announced.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai says "prepare" but he obv announced it so early so he could revel in watching people lose their minds.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think the whole "two newcomers" thing, while wishful thinking, also stems from the way Villager and Mega Man were revealed in the same clip when Sm4sh was first announced.
They were technically two different videos, just back to back.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Maybe he wants us to prepare our wallets because the game will be released soon.
Maybe he wants us to prepare our consoles because of a demo coming soon.
Or maybe he just wants us to know ahead of time because the usual direct warning isn't enough for some people.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I still think Medusa is just as likely as Palutena.

One thing this series does not have yet is a female villain.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
My guess is the translations (and maybe the server loads)

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
As I read some replies on here I can't help but feel like certain people are getting ahead of themselves with expectations for this thing. People thinking there will be 2 vets AND two newcomers plus other bonus stuff are setting themselves up for disappointment. No doubt this will be a big event, the biggest for Smash 4 since E3, and I personally would love 2 vets + 2 newcomers, but people should ground their expectations so come Tuesday we're not all upset. (people are bound to be upset regardless but whatever)
This 100%

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Sakurai says "prepare" but he obv announced it so early so he could revel in watching people lose their minds.
...what happened to the old Harley Quinn avatar? This makes me upset.

Even more upset than when I set my expectations too high and get disappointed Tuesday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think Medusa is just as likely as Palutena.

One thing this series does not have yet is a female villain.
Being a female villain won't actually increase her chances. One character has been elevated to undebatable deuteragonist of the series (by the person making this game) and has the series named after her in Japan (basically making her the Zelda of the series) - not to mention is the overwhelmingly most popular candidate from the series (worldwide), while the other was given the Zant treatment, again by the person making this game.

They're not exactly on equal footing here.

...what happened to the old Harley Quinn avatar? This makes me upset.

Even more upset than when I set my expectations too high and get disappointed Tuesday.
I'm getting ready to crash into everybody and kill you all in three days time.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Yes, I am aware of how significant Palutena is. All the same, somehow, I feel like Sakurai could throw us a curve ball with Medusa.

Call it a hunch.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
We all know that this Monday Sakurai is going to reveal a veteran.
Why? Because absolutely no one is expecting that.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think Palutena is definitely more likely, she's just been so hyped up about for so long and teased about.

I really hope she's revealed on Tuesday. Probably not because it'd be too easy, but I just want to see her. Like now.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
We all know that this Monday Sakurai is going to reveal a veteran.
Why? Because absolutely no one is expecting that.
I think its just going to be a pic to hype us up
Yes, I am aware of how significant Palutena is. All the same, somehow, I feel like Sakurai could throw us a curve ball with Medusa.

Call it a hunch.
Ok, come on. Theres no way we would get Medusa before Palutena

Lozjam

Smash Champion
He wants us to get our bodies ready for the most epic of announcements.

Or he's trolling, and the Direct is nothing special. Who knows?
My body is definitely ready for Sakurai to ravage it with this Nintendo Direct.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think Palutena is definitely more likely, she's just been so hyped up about for so long and teased about.

I really hope she's revealed on Tuesday. Probably not because it'd be too easy, but I just want to see her. Like now.
After dealing with that leak of her for so long, I just need to see Lady Palutena. I need closure, man.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
So you basically want character based on how they look, not who they actually are.
Little Mac? Uh, so generic, he's just a boxer. I'd take Brooklyn of the Gargoyles ten times more, he can fly and use a motorcycle and ****!!!!1
I tend to favor characters based on their moveset potential. Little Mac is anything but generic as we've yet to see Sakurai's take on a boxer type character.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
More random tidbits:

I'd only want Bayonetta in this game EXCLUSIVELY for the music.

I just noticed how similar Villager looks compared to a generic Mii. So I really, really don't want Miis. But again, I think they are super inevitable. I need to build myself up for that disappointment when they are revealed.

The direct time works out perfectly, right after my driving lesson!

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
This is the worst community to discuss newcomers. Everyone else's opinions are wrong and yours are right.

I don't give a **** who gets in because they haven't made a bad choice yet. And if you all stopped complaining so much about stuff that hasn't happened and just go with the flow, you'd be able to enjoy yourself more.

We have 0 say in who gets in, so what's the point bashing others for their opinions?
To be honest, despite Smash Bros being an Nintendo-orientated game, I get the feeling that 70% of the community in Smash Boards don't even know much about Nintendo characters.

Top Bottom