• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What? Lol.
Wednesday's pic will be released like 9-10 hours after the Direct. So we're getting only two pics before it.
Remember what happened with Little Mac. We got his picture on the day of that Direct after the Peach picture and it counted for Friday's picture. The same will happen Tuesday/Wednesday.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Warning Received
I know the hash tag thing is basically over, but too bad because I'm changing teams!

#TeamDixieChromTagTeam

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Marth and Ike are pretty boys with blue hair, and only use a sword. Are they clones? ^^ Nope, they share one single attack, being their obvious Down Special. Dixie has a LOT more unique things for her than either FE swordsman has to eachother. So, no, she can extremely easily have a very unique moveset. :)
Just like how Rosalina would be the same or similar to Peach, right? :awesome:
I think the main difference between Dixie, Rosalina, Peach, Marth and Ike is that the latter four aren't terrible ideas for characters.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Smash females huh. Honestly, I'd love to see Sakurai add a bunch since it's another form of diversity that will be greatly appreciated. My sisters always wonder why there aren't more kick ass Nintendo ladies in the game and it'd be pretty cool to see that addressed. There's also a great selection to add on top of the already confirmed Rosalina and WFT:

Impa (because SS Impa was the coolest thing ever and if Mario can have 5 characters, so can Zelda)
Dixie
Palutena
Medusa
Anna or Robin (Fire Emblem)
Lip (Panel De Pon)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's my likeliness chart:

1. Palutena - Yeah, yeah, no big surprise. But there's so much going in Palutena's favor that it's almost impossible not to expect her at this point, and revealing her now would be great. With the new Kid Icarus stage, a new item, and some extra KI content in there soon before and after Mac's reveal, Sakurai has been setting up Palutena's reveal for a while now.

2. Takamaru - Nazo No Murasamejou's anniversary is around the corner, and it's about time we get to see our token retro. Takamaru is a great counter for Little Mac's pure American-ness, and I had speculated his reveal ever since Mac's.

3. Mii - I had Chrom here, but people make good points about Mii. Sakurai can finally have a good chat about them and change some opinions. Also, the reveal of Mii seems to be getting close too, we just haven't noticed because of our Palutena hype.

4. Chrom - Yeah personally the only way I saw this happening is later in the month, closer to the actual anniversary of Fire Emblem. Of course we usually get Iwata Directs every two months, and if this isn't an official Direct then we can very well see Chrom at a later date.

5. Ridley - More E3 material. Personally I don't see anyone but those four.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think expecting at least two newcomers is unrealistic at all especially when you consider how one character has been thrown into 4 of the last 5 general Directs just for the hell of it and this upcoming one is exclusively about Smash Bros. Also, have any of you taken a look at the official Direct page?

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/

It probably doesn't mean anything but I think it's cool that they crammed all the currently known character portraits at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Alright, going to cover some things I have seen discussed here so far:
On Mewtwo: The hype surrounding him is gigantic. He can/will make or break the game for some people. He is the number one most wanted character not named Megaman(already in) or Ridley. The backlash to him not being in Brawl was immense. He was asked about and Sakurai responded "We're thinking about it". He can even be used to represent the 6th generation of Pokemon with his TWO new Mega Evolutions. The ONLY reason Mewtwo would not get in is if GameFreak decided to push a newer rep instead. Which would be pretty ludicrous at this point. Jigglypuff(if returning) can represent the new Fairy type and Lucario/Mewtwo/and/or Charizard can represent the Mega-Evolution mechanic which along with stages and Pokeball Pokemon, it should be more than enough representation for the 6th generation. That being said if Mewtwo is shown off before release it WILL be at E3. Otherwise he is a secret. And he WILL be in this game. I'm more than willing to bet on it.

On third parties: Pac-Man is the most likely, hands down. Is it everyone's favorite choice here, absolutely not. Controversial to say the least. But as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, while we are the most dedicated to this series, we are certainly not in the majority, and as far as popular video game characters go, Pac-Man is easily top 5, probably number two only behind Mario himself. Almost EVERYONE knows who Pac-Man is, and whether we like it or not, he will likely be there. If not him, than Snake comes back. I don't think that both will happen, and I certainly don't think we will get more than three third parties. If neither of them get in, I would like someone with some connection to Nintendo history, like Megaman. My choice would be Simon Belmont, who I imagine would be next in line for Konami if Snake does not return and Pac-Man does not show up.

On the direct itself: We're getting at least one newcomer. Potentially two. And probably a few veterans. Who they are will depend on who the newcomer/s are and who they are saving for E3. I have a feeling E3 will show off at least Pac-Man and Mii and one of Ridley/K.Rool/Mewtwo. If they are all in they won't show them all before release. At least one of them will be a secret character. For the direct I'm guessing Palutena and the second would be Takamaru. For vets I can see any one-three of the following: Meta-Knight, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Wario, Pokemon Trainer. I think Yoshi will be shown of in the summer for the Japanese release of Yoshi's New Island/Yarn Yoshi, whichever one it is. It is possible that Captain Falcon/Ness/Falco show up, but I have a feeling they will be locked. Maybe Falco moves up to a starter, but that only happens if Wolf returns(which is likely IMO). I think ZSS will be shown off with Ridley, which I have to imagine would be at E3. Maybe I have this all wrong and we get Ridley/Mewtwo/K.Rool at this direct, but I have a feeling that they will be saved for E3. We could get one here and one of the others at E3. That would be the best case scenario. I also expect Sakurai to show some new Final Smashes, show off the newcomers(including the newly revealed one/s) more in depth, maybe a new stage or two, general gameplay footage, and a look at a new mode or two. A release date would be phenomenal. I hope for more, but I am not going to build by hype to the shy to have it come crashing down. Don't get me wrong though. This post may seem somewhat cynical/not so hype but I am more than hype for this event. I will be overflowing with joy with whatever does get shown off. And I totally hope I am wrong with my guess and Sakurai absolutely blows us away.

TLDR: Wall of text related to the direct and various sub-conversations on this thread. Mewtwo and K.Rool please.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Remember what happened with Little Mac. We got his picture on the day of that Direct after the Peach picture and it counted for Friday's picture. The same will happen Tuesday/Wednesday.
Exactly. We'll get two pics before the direct, one for Monday and Tuesday, and then we'll get a PotD after the direct is finished, most likely not just a pic but a whole site update featuring the new character(s) revealed.

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, going to cover some things I have seen discussed here so far:
On Mewtwo: The hype surrounding him is gigantic. He can/will make or break the game for some people. He is the number one most wanted character not named Megaman(already in) or Ridley. The backlash to him not being in Brawl was immense. He was asked about and Sakurai responded "We're thinking about it". He can even be used to represent the 6th generation of Pokemon with his TWO new Mega Evolutions. The ONLY reason Mewtwo would not get in is if GameFreak decided to push a newer rep instead. Which would be pretty ludicrous at this point. Jigglypuff(if returning) can represent the new Fairy type and Lucario/Mewtwo/and/or Charizard can represent the Mega-Evolution mechanic which along with stages and Pokeball Pokemon, it should be more than enough representation for the 6th generation. That being said if Mewtwo is shown off before release it WILL be at E3. Otherwise he is a secret. And he WILL be in this game. I'm more than willing to bet on it.

On third parties: Pac-Man is the most likely, hands down. Is it everyone's favorite choice here, absolutely not. Controversial to say the least. But as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, while we are the most dedicated to this series, we are certainly not in the majority, and as far as popular video game characters go, Pac-Man is easily top 5, probably number two only behind Mario himself. Almost EVERYONE knows who Pac-Man is, and whether we like it or not, he will likely be there. If not him, than Snake comes back. I don't think that both will happen, and I certainly don't think we will get more than three third parties. If neither of them get in, I would like someone with some connection to Nintendo history, like Megaman. My choice would be Simon Belmont, who I imagine would be next in line for Konami if Snake does not return and Pac-Man does not show up.

On the direct itself: We're getting at least one newcomer. Potentially two. And probably a few veterans. Who they are will depend on who the newcomer/s are and who they are saving for E3. I have a feeling E3 will show off at least Pac-Man and Mii and one of Ridley/K.Rool/Mewtwo. If they are all in they won't show them all before release. At least one of them will be a secret character. For the direct I'm guessing Palutena and the second would be Takamaru. For vets I can see any one-three of the following: Meta-Knight, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Wario, Pokemon Trainer. I think Yoshi will be shown of in the summer for the Japanese release of Yoshi's New Island/Yarn Yoshi, whichever one it is. It is possible that Captain Falcon/Ness/Falco show up, but I have a feeling they will be locked. Maybe Falco moves up to a starter, but that only happens if Wolf returns(which is likely IMO). I think ZSS will be shown off with Ridley, which I have to imagine would be at E3. Maybe I have this all wrong and we get Ridley/Mewtwo/K.Rool at this direct, but I have a feeling that they will be saved for E3. We could get one here and one of the others at E3. That would be the best case scenario. I also expect Sakurai to show some new Final Smashes, show off the newcomers(including the newly revealed one/s) more in depth, maybe a new stage or two, general gameplay footage, and a look at a new mode or two. A release date would be phenomenal. I hope for more, but I am not going to build by hype to the shy to have it come crashing down. Don't get me wrong though. This post may seem somewhat cynical/not so hype but I am more than hype for this event. I will be overflowing with joy with whatever does get shown off. And I totally hope I am wrong with my guess and Sakurai absolutely blows us away.

TLDR: Wall of text related to the direct and various sub-conversations on this thread. Mewtwo and K.Rool please.
So you believe that we are to potentially get two newcomers and "a few veterans"? That is honestly a little absurd. Information about the game in addition to a newcomer is more than sufficient. We have to remember, this is a Direct. This isn't a character reveal montage.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I think we're gonna get some veterans and one newcomer. But I seriously hope that the majority is on the gameplay, where we can see stages in action, the different modes, menus, classic, adventure, the whole sha-bang.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I foudn the perfect Hype train music. Especially if you want Ness or Lucas

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, hype train music.
Anyone want a ride on the Palutena hype train?
I really want this to play in her trailer. It's such a great track.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Here's my likeliness chart:

1. Palutena - Yeah, yeah, no big surprise. But there's so much going in Palutena's favor that it's almost impossible not to expect her at this point, and revealing her now would be great. With the new Kid Icarus stage, a new item, and some extra KI content in there soon before and after Mac's reveal, Sakurai has been setting up Palutena's reveal for a while now.

2. Takamaru - Nazo No Murasamejou's anniversary is around the corner, and it's about time we get to see our token retro. Takamaru is a great counter for Little Mac's pure American-ness, and I had speculated his reveal ever since Mac's.

3. Mii - I had Chrom here, but people make good points about Mii. Sakurai can finally have a good chat about them and change some opinions. Also, the reveal of Mii seems to be getting close too, we just haven't noticed because of our Palutena hype.

4. Chrom - Yeah personally the only way I saw this happening is later in the month, closer to the actual anniversary of Fire Emblem. Of course we usually get Iwata Directs every two months, and if this isn't an official Direct then we can very well see Chrom at a later date.

5. Ridley - More E3 material. Personally I don't see anyone but those four.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but I definitely wouldn't count out Shulk or Dixie to come from leftfield and be revealed Tuesday. Palutena is still most likely but those two shouldn't be ruled out.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
I, personally, am expecting up to 3 characters to be revealed, new or old, as well as info on the varying modes and stages, and perhaps a release date. I am hoping for it to be a huge lot of announcements ending saying it will release Wednesday. But I know better than that, don't I?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I, personally, am expecting up to 3 characters to be revealed, new or old, as well as info on the varying modes and stages, and perhaps a release date. I am hoping for it to be a huge lot of announcements ending saying it will release Wednesday. But I know better than that, don't I?
You seem cool. Stick around, please.

I'm just going to pop by every hour and say "I expect Palutena and Takamaru as newcomers, and Ness and Cap in a gameplay trailer featuring Takamaru".

Morbi

Scavenger
At this point, Sakurai needs to really show off some of the modes and innovations; obviously some more game-play wouldn't hurt. Characters are not going to promote the game much further than they already have unless they use the A-List characters. Those are better saved for E3 hype, that is the time for a character montage. Now, Sora Ltd. and Nintendo must actually market the game and reveal why the casual consumer should be interested. I expect a release date as well. I understand that characters are fun, but realistically, they aren't going to sell the game. Why waste 20-40 minutes talking about characters when they can talk about the game? Characters speak for themselves really.

Again, E3 is when he can reveal 3 or 4, maybe even more, characters. I wouldn't expect this out of an informational Direct.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyone want a ride on the Palutena hype train?
I really want this to play in her trailer. It's such a great track.
I can do ya one better, mate.
Extended version.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
So you believe that we are to potentially get two newcomers and "a few veterans"? That is honestly a little absurd. Information about the game in addition to a newcomer is more than sufficient. We have to remember, this is a Direct. This isn't a character reveal montage.
Remember that one MK direct with seven consecutive character reveals?
If you say so:
Every pair of genes is a hand-me-down...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd find it to be quite amusing if Bowser Jr. showed up, and started vandalizing everything with his brush. It'll be sweet revenge for not being accepted into Brawl.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Watched so much MK8-stuff yesterday that I suddenly forgot how hyped I was?

In anycase, I'm feeling quite calm despite being hyped. Maybe because I'm only having minds open for anything than trying expect something because that's gonna give me endless butterflies in stomach.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hey new best friend.
Why, hello there. :shades:

But seriously, can you imagine that track playing in her reveal? Or, even better, some remix of it?

Morbi

Scavenger
At this point, Sakurai needs to really show off some of the modes and innovations; obviously some more game-play wouldn't hurt. Characters are not going to promote the game much further than they already have unless they use the A-List characters. Those are better saved for E3 hype, that is the time for a character montage. Now, Sora Ltd. and Nintendo must actually market the game and reveal why the casual consumer should be interested. I expect a release date as well. I understand that characters are fun, but realistically, they aren't going to sell the game. Why waste 20-40 minutes talking about characters when they can talk about the game? Characters speak for themselves really.

Again, E3 is when he can reveal 3 or 4, maybe even more, characters. I wouldn't expect this out of an informational Direct.
Remember that one MK direct with seven consecutive character reveals?

If you say so:
Every pair of genes is a hand-me-down...
That isn't necessarily relevant precedent; I already stated why, it can be found above.

I think we're gonna get some veterans and one newcomer. But I seriously hope that the majority is on the gameplay, where we can see stages in action, the different modes, menus, classic, adventure, the whole sha-bang.
Definitely. I would be happy of we saw a 2 minute game with percentages or some visible changes to the veterans like Link, Mario, Samus etc. Maybe if we are lucky we can see how the new ledge mechanics work so we can know exactly what to expect from the game.

Top Bottom