• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think we will get unlockable characters, just no secret characters.
At this rate, and if Smash releases Holiday 2014 like I expect, we should have all the characters by release.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Honestly could care less about Shulk. Doesn't seem that innovative IMO. Kinda tired of blade wielding characters in general. Plus I prefer characters w/ a richer history w/ Nintendo.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Honestly could care less about Shulk. Doesn't seem that innovative IMO. Kinda tired of blade wielding characters in general. Plus I prefer characters w/ a richer history w/ Nintendo.
The X protagonist would be much more interesting, I agree. Shulk is just another sword wielder.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Shulk starred in arguably the best JRPG of the last 5 (if not 10) years in many people's books, Xenoblade was one of the last BIG Wii exclusives, was a new IP published by Nintendo (in Europe and Japan at least) and of course had the whole OpRainfall thing. On top of that there's Nintendo's purchase of Monolith Soft (the developer) and X on the horizon, which looks to have Shulk back going by the teaser. He may not currently have a long history with Nintendo but it's certainly been eventful and seems to be set to continue.

Regarding his character's innovation I can get the hesitation in terms of him wielding a sword but with the Monado being notable for it's extra functions and ability to vary in size I doubt he'd just be a simple Link clone, not like Marth plays overly similar to Link right?
The X protagonist would be much more interesting, I agree. Shulk is just another sword wielder.
Also as I suggested what's to stop Shulk in fact being the X protagonist, that'd certainly open up the moveset and anyway who doesn't want a Mech(/Doll) Final Smash needs looked at :p

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT.
WE DON'T EVEN KNOW **** ABOUT X PROTAGONIST.
Just play Xenoblade Chronicles before saying bull**** like "Eh he just uses a sword wow...".
Jesus Christ.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
^^^This. Though he'd be cool I just don't care too much for him.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Don't worry, there's seriously no way Pac is getting in.
Even Sakurai laughed at the idea, though I can't find interview.
Sakuari never said anything about Pac-Man not getting in. The closest I could find was the "Namco characters get no special priority", which even then, doesn't really decrease his chances, it just says Namco would be treated the same as other third parties, if they get rep.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash

Can't have a Smash Bros. title without everyone's heroic green dino.
This is very likely, unless Yarn Yoshi is being released before Sm4sh, in which case they'd save his reveal until then. Personally, I hope they'll show the return of the Ice Climbers or Captain Falcon. Ooh, a re-worked Ganondorf could be pretty nifty too (if he's the same that's fine too, I'll just be sad about it).

Oh, and Assist Trophy Nabbit? YES PLEASE. Make my dreams come true Sakurai.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
The ignorance to Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk's character and the Monado is painful. . . Xenoblade Chronicles is definitely relevant to Nintendo's recent history, and history to J-RPG's of the last 10 years in general. The impact it made in the game of itself, along with the whole Operation Rainfall movement is immense, and if you've actually played Xenoblade Chronicles, you'd know that Shulk has the potential to be anything but generic, what with the Monado's abilities, upgrades, and the ability to see into the future. You don't have to want Shulk, or even like him, but to say he lacks potential as a character and anything to Nintendo's history is simply incorrect (as a fan of Golden Sun as well, Xenoblade Chronicles is historically more relevant already than it).

Edit: The fact that he (from what we can assume) has more-or-less been teased for Monolith Soft's upcoming "X" is just icing on the cake, showing that his character (or series) may not necessarily be a "one-and-done".

Last edited:

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
Here's my whislist!
1. 2 newcomers
2. 2-3 veterans
3. explanation of customization
4. gamplay
5. anything else

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait for the direct! Praying for a release date!!

The thing I want most from this is to learn more about the characters we've already been shown. We know so little about any changes that have been made and the majority of the cast haven't even been shown in action yet.

I'd love to hear more about how Rosalina and Luma function together and how Little Mac's Power Meter works. It'd also be great to see a few of the multi-hit jab finishers and finally get clarification on the Zelda-Phantom mystery.

Adding 3-4 more characters with little detailed information about them wouldn't be the best decision, imo

However, I'll be really happy to see any newcomers or returning veterans revealed because I enjoy witnessing how hyped everyone else gets. Haha. <3

I predict 1 newcomer, followed by a look at said newcomer, Rosalina and Little Mac's mechanics and maybe some more details about other characters, similar to what we had with Bowser in the Developer's Direct. We might also see things like Trophy collections and Stage Builder. We'll most definitely get a comparison between the two versions again.

I can't imagine any items, assist trophies or stages being shown, because they'd have to spend about 10 seconds on those before moving on. Then again, we've never had a Smash Direct before, so who knows how it will play out?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
This is the worst community to discuss newcomers. Everyone else's opinions are wrong and yours are right.

I don't give a **** who gets in because they haven't made a bad choice yet. And if you all stopped complaining so much about stuff that hasn't happened and just go with the flow, you'd be able to enjoy yourself more.

We have 0 say in who gets in, so what's the point bashing others for their opinions?

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I generally favor history in regards to characters getting in Smash, but I think it's fine if a lead character from a major new IP gets in even without much of a legacy. Shulk would be interesting as the only JRPG protagonist in Smash. Well, I guess Mother is a JRPG series but Shulk would be interesting as a character. I haven't played Xenoblade (I want to eventually, just can't find a copy that's affordable), but I'd imagine he has more attacks than swinging a sword around.

Anyways, I'm rooting for a character to be revealed that people have wanted for a long time. There's nothing wrong with characters that gained popularity after Brawl (like Palutena) getting in. But we still have some characters that people wanted for MELEE. I'm rooting for Ridley, and I don't even like the Metroid series.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm rooting for Layton myself (which is why I'm trying to get a good avatar...the site keeps messing with the ones I upload even after I change the dimensions). I feel like this is one of the best times they could possibly reveal him. It'd be an awesome birthday present for myself (and Kikwi-Kiwi)!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This is the worst community to discuss newcomers. Everyone else's opinions are wrong and yours are right.

I don't give a **** who gets in because they haven't made a bad choice yet. And if you all stopped complaining so much about stuff that hasn't happened and just go with the flow, you'd be able to enjoy yourself more.

We have 0 say in who gets in, so what's the point bashing others for their opinions?
It's **** like "This character doesn't fit because reasons and also because I don't know anything about him.".
The usual Layton no-sayers, or Shulk no-sayers, don't want them just because they don't know them. It's ****ing annoying.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Just saying, but I Think this is a Direct Thread, not a Shulk History thread. ^^

Ahem. Anyways, is Shulk is in this game, I can honestly see him being announced here. But I expect two Newcomers, tbh. I hope one is Ridley, and the other one can be whoever, really. I'm not that picky when it comes to characters. :)

@ Vintage Creep Vintage Creep
Pretty much how it is being a big Ridley supporter. People Always gives you crap for that. It's sad when a person's wish for playable character in a video game makes others damn you to hell. :/

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I could say what I'm expecting from this direct, but since such things usually result in zero satisfaction afterwards I'll just make a list of things I hope this direct will clear up (but probably won't):

- Mii's, yes or no?
- Ridley, yes or no?
- Palutena, yes or no?
- Mewtwo, yes or no?
- Singleplayer, what will replace SSE this time?
- Version differences, what will be exclusive to WiiU or 3DS?
- Customization, what was this mysterious feature that was teased some time ago?

Those are the questions I want answered the most. The first four I mostly want answered to get rid of the unnecessary discussions that keep popping up on this forum, the other three question I'm really interested in because it's probably gonna play a big part in my enjoyment of the game.
Other things I would like to see during this direct:

- Newcomer, 1 or 2 will do for me.
- Veterans, I'm hoping for a whole batch of veterans.
- Full match, at least 3 minutes of unedited gameplay.
- Menu, a preview of it with maybe a preview of all the available modes.
- Singleplayer, a small showcase of one of the modes.
- Online Multiplayer, a rundown of the online functionalities.
- Trailer, either the game's intro trailer or a trailer showcasing the new stuff.
- Release date, as long it's in 2014 I'm fine.

It's really hard to say how much they are willing to show in this direct, especially since they didn't say how long it's going to last. My actual expectation of the direct is quite a bit lower though, I'll be happy with the show already if they only tackle 3 or 4 of the points I made. Above all, I just want to see enough gameplay footage that will enable me to have a real feel of how the game's going to play. Then I'll just play in my mind till it actually releases, lol.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think a Shulk reveal would be better off coming in a Direct that features lots of new info on X. Or better yet, as a secret character that doesn't get announced before release, as people would go crazy.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Someone explain what a "generic sword user" is in Smash, when in Brawl the only one that played CLOSE to similar to another was the only actual clone? (Toon Link)

If they were to make Shulk a "generic sword user" (whatever that is), they'd also have to ignore everything ABOUT the sword he wields.

And if you don't want Shulk, you have to still want Xenoblade content, for the locales and music. If you don't want the music, that's not an opinion, you're just a monster.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh, hey, I just thought of something. If we get a full match at this Direct, it'll be the second bit of unedited gameplay we've gotten, and the first that won't be offscreen.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT.
WE DON'T EVEN KNOW **** ABOUT X PROTAGONIST.
Just play Xenoblade Chronicles before saying bull**** like "Eh he just uses a sword wow...".
Jesus Christ.
I'll take the dude that can wield a sword, bazookas, heavy machine guns and pilot a mech over modular energy sword guy, thank you very much.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I really doubt we'll get a full match. I expect stuff like the developer's direct back during E3. I don't imagine we'll get match videos up until the press gets a hands-on experience, in the same way they got a hands-on on Mario Kart.

Also, I fully expect, if not a demo, for us to be able to play Smash somehow during E3. Hopefully in a more organized way than the demos last summer.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
"Greetings. Welcome to the Supar Smash Bruthers Nintendo Direct... streaming (arm gesture) directly to you. We have much exciting information to share with you today on our upcoming tietle. First... we are now going to show 5 newcomers, but these newcomers are all locked in-game. If you do not want to spoil anything, come back in a few minutes, and go ahead and close your browser.... now (hand gesture)"

YRI this is the opening line.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I really hope the single player isn't just classic, allstar, and event. That is my #1 worry about this game

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
"Greetings. Welcome to the Supar Smash Bruthers Nintendo Direct... streaming (arm gesture) directly to you. We have much exciting information to share with you today on our upcoming tietle. First... we are now going to show 5 newcomers, but these newcomers are all locked in-game. If you do not want to spoil anything, come back in a few minutes, and go ahead and close your browser.... now (hand gesture)"

Well time to stay off the internet until release...

Seriously. If they pulled another 3d-world... making a trailer of spoilers... the internet would just need to be non existent for me if that happened.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'll take the dude that can wield a sword, bazookas, heavy machine guns and pilot a mech over modular energy sword guy, thank you very much.
So you basically want character based on how they look, not who they actually are.
Little Mac? Uh, so generic, he's just a boxer. I'd take Brooklyn of the Gargoyles ten times more, he can fly and use a motorcycle and ****!!!!1

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'm gonna spoil myself anyways, so that'd be a pure win situation for me.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Character wise? I don't believe in spoilers. If I know them all, I don't care. There's a ton of other stuff I can discover on my own--my top priority is getting a feel for the newcomers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I really hope the single player isn't just classic, allstar, and event. That is my #1 worry about this game
Same here.

I also hope that if there is an Adventure Mode, it isn't just Melee Adventure Mode #2. At the very least, if it is gonna be that, then I want a more substantial reward than character trophies (such as ending scenes like in Tekken).

Last edited:

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
As I read some replies on here I can't help but feel like certain people are getting ahead of themselves with expectations for this thing. People thinking there will be 2 vets AND two newcomers plus other bonus stuff are setting themselves up for disappointment. No doubt this will be a big event, the biggest for Smash 4 since E3, and I personally would love 2 vets + 2 newcomers, but people should ground their expectations so come Tuesday we're not all upset. (people are bound to be upset regardless but whatever)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Character wise? I don't believe in spoilers. If I know them all, I don't care. There's a ton of other stuff I can discover on my own--my top priority is getting a feel for the newcomers.
And plus, if you know the newcomers, but they're unlockable, the fact that you know them gives you incentive to play the game more to try and unlock them.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is I would love to know all the characters in Smash 4.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Saying that you're not interested in a certain character doesn't = character bashing or thinking your opinion is better than someone else's. People's favorite go to argument is "you don't know the character / series". Son, that means nothing to the person who's not interested in the character itself. I can list plenty of characters 1st or 3rd party that could have interesting movesets and unique charactecritics. Chrono and Isaac being two that come to mind from games I enjoyed.. That doesn't mean I necessarily want them in smash bros.

I won't bother w/ predictions cause I really don't know who'll make the cut. And I plan on buying it anyway. I just prefer the colorful WTF characters from throughout Nintendo's history that you wouldn't always imagine in smash bros game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People who claim they want to avoid spoilers but still regularly show up here are pretty funny.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't want them to show a full match. I'd rather them devote the entire 20 minute slot to as much new information as possible. I can wait until E3 for a match because its likely there will be a demo there too.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I don't mind much of they show "Spoiler characters". I just hope the unlockable characters this time will be VERY hard to unlock. To each his own, but I love it when you have to struggle to get a character you really want. It was a pain, but I remember unlocking Falco in Melee the hard way, and it felt so good when I did. XD

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
People who claim they want to avoid spoilers but still regularly show up here are pretty funny.
Thats me.... I just.... I can't help myself.... lol. I just don't want spoilers "forced" on me like in the 3d world trailer. Sure I saw it on the direct. then I thought. man I wish they didn't reveal all that stuff. Sure its my decision to see spoilers in the game just.... then I'd have to sacrifice all of the internet in order to avoid spoilers.

Top Bottom