• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
[quote="Chrimbo, post: 16564152, member: 238272"Palutena isn't well-known or demanded enough and Mewtwo is a returning character from Melee, hence why I can see them being shown at the Direct.
Err...from what I can see, Palutena is pretty much the #1 most requested character along with Mewtwo. Nonetheless, I can see them being shown at the direct.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure she and a couple of specific reptilian angry-guys easily rank up in the tops of the major US poll thingies, as I've seen it before, and I doubt it's changed. So I agree that I have no idea what they're even talking about.

The only popular character worldwide that isn't more requested over here than in Japan is...Shulk, I think? Maybe they like K. Rool more? I can't even remember.

This is why I'm kinda neutral on Snake. I love the character, but it's hard to justify him returning when Kojima is busy making excuses to not put Metal Gear Solid V on the Wii U. "I don't know what to do with the Gamepad" my ***.
Yeah it's kinda dumb considering that Ground Zeros has that smart phone/tablet integration ****. Why not just put that on the game pad?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Demos didn't have tripping, didn't have cancelled hit stun, didn't have set trajectories for pre-tumble hitstun (that's why you can't DI Dedede or Falco's down throws) and still had L cancelling.

Sakurai's decision to put more emphasis on auto cancelling aerials and allowing for an option out of hit stun weren't terrible decisions, but it definitely feel their implementation was severely rushed. Removing DI on pre-tumble hit stun seems to knee-jerked and not well thought out that it would've been obvious within a very short period of play testing.
nooooooooooo

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm hoping that it's not just Miis. If it's Miis + Someone Else, okay. But just Miis is rubbing salt on all of my butthurt wounds from February. After Little Mac, they were the one character I don't want in the game (tbh I still wouldn't main Mii even if they were the only character in the game).

Plus I can easily see Sakurai just showing off one character and then spending the rest of the time talking about stages, items, assist trophies, final smashes and the new Twitter.

...I really hope he'll blow my socks off though.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm hoping that it's not just Miis. If it's Miis + Someone Else, okay. But just Miis is rubbing salt on all of my butthurt wounds from February. After Little Mac, they were the one character I don't want in the game (tbh I still wouldn't main Mii even if they were the only character in the game).

Plus I can easily see Sakurai just showing off one character and then spending the rest of the time talking about stages, items, assist trophies, final smashes and the new Twitter.

...I really hope he'll blow my socks off though.
Wait, you didn't want Little Mac... but he's your sig?

I never know how to feel about Mii's. I think they would work in the game... but then I think, maybe they won't.

Anyway, I seriously have no idea how this Direct will pan out. I just wish it was happening now.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario is on the same level as Toon Link, and you see how well received he was.

Thousand Year Door was great, but do we really need more Mario characters?

Koops is the **** though.
As much as I support Paper Mario, I actually think Toon Link is more important to his respected series compared to Paper Mario. However, I think Paper Mario has much more potential than Toon Link. If Toon Zelda/Tetra is one of the accepted possible Zelda Newcomers(I believe she received a high "want" rating in the RTCR) than Paper Mario has his merits as well along with the many partners and badges he possesses. Thousand Year Door was indeed a great game and yes, Koops is indeed the ****. I do understand the complaint of having different versions of characters and I accept it(I like to stay civil)

Here's hoping the very unlikely Paper Mario will be revealed during the Direct!

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
This Changes Everything. D: That Smash Logo has to be huge, to fit the new character announcement for the Direct. Thank you, Gonoji~
No problemo MasterofMonster. I find it interesting it's called mark.png though. Maybe that's the official term for the logo? A Smash 'mark'? I kinda like it.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Main things I'm expecting:

A release date
A newcomer
A veteran

Anything else is icing on the cake.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, a release date would be the best possible news.

August, please?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
A lot of people have been talking about which characters they'd like to see in the Direct, but what about stages? We've seen a few so far, do you think they'll reveal more on the 8th? And what about taking a closer look at the ones we've seen? Personally I'd love it if Sakurai took us for a more in-depth look at the SMG-inspired stage (can't remember exactly what it's called at the moment), the one with the unusual gravity field. I have a feeling that could make for some very interesting fights.

Also, I've read quite a few comments about Dixie Kong as a possible newcomer. I wonder, would she mostly be a Diddy clone, and if not how would she be different? I haven't played DKCTF, but I remember (I think it's her sister Tiny?) from DK64 using her pigtails as propellors or something like that, which could definitely be useful in Smash. Does she have similar abilities?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
A lot of people have been talking about which characters they'd like to see in the Direct, but what about stages? We've seen a few so far, do you think they'll reveal more on the 8th? And what about taking a closer look at the ones we've seen? Personally I'd love it if Sakurai took us for a more in-depth look at the SMG-inspired stage (can't remember exactly what it's called at the moment), the one with the unusual gravity field. I have a feeling that could make for some very interesting fights.
I'd like to see the new Final Destination, because that's probably where I'll end up having to duke it out online anyway. . .
:dizzy:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Personally I'd love it if Sakurai took us for a more in-depth look at the SMG-inspired stage (can't remember exactly what it's called at the moment)
It's simply called "Mario Galaxy". And I'd love to see more on it too. See what exactly it's gravity mechanic has in store for us.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The only newcomer that I think would make sense would be Issac...since his game comes out on Virtual console this month.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think the newcomer reveal(s) has to make "sense" in any way - it's a Smash-dedicated Direct so they can show basically ANY character regardless of whether it ties in with game releases etc or not. I have my hopes, sure, and I don't think it'll be a total surprise like a totally obscure character, but yeah, it could be anyone really. Tuesday come faster!

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I don't think the newcomer reveal(s) has to make "sense" in any way - it's a Smash-dedicated Direct so they can show basically ANY character regardless of whether it ties in with game releases etc or not. I have my hopes, sure, and I don't think it'll be a total surprise like a totally obscure character, but yeah, it could be anyone really. Tuesday come faster!
I understand that, but the reason I have that conclusion is the majority of character reveals were based on release dates/anniversaries. Little Mac was completely out of left field, though.

Don't kill my dream :(

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
This direct makes me think that we may get Smash Bros sooner than what most people are expecting.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I understand that, but the reason I have that conclusion is the majority of character reveals were based on release dates/anniversaries. Little Mac was completely out of left field, though.

Don't kill my dream :(
Was he out of left field? I could've swore I heard that Little Mac's reveal had something to do with something Punch-Out!! related...

Shroob

Sup?
Palutena, or Chrom. That's my guess who the newcomer will be. Neither in my opinion are big enough names in the gaming world to garner hype at E3, Chrom being somewhat debatable, so a Direct would be the best place to show them imho.

Granted, it could also be the Miis and this whole Direct is to explain how they function. It could happen.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Palutena, or Chrom. That's my guess who the newcomer will be. Neither in my opinion are big enough names in the gaming world to garner hype at E3, Chrom being somewhat debatable, so a Direct would be the best place to show them imho.

Granted, it could also be the Miis and this whole Direct is to explain how they function. It could happen.
Stop it! You're fueling my paranoia!

Paluridlachromoolumarulk. Where you at!?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I feel a main contender for the coveted newcomer spot would be either:

Palutena
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Takamaru
Mii
Chrom

There are other possible characters but I feel any character in this list would generate a lot of interest and hype (positively or negatively).

As well, we also have E3 in two months so we will have yet again another newcomer or more that could be revealed.

I have a feeling that we will see 1 newcomer and 1 veteran. As well, aside from the footage, a release date and information about its presentation at E3. I am actually banking on those last two.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
No problemo MasterofMonster. I find it interesting it's called mark.png though. Maybe that's the official term for the logo? A Smash 'mark'? I kinda like it.
Mark? Neat. I don't know how things like that work, really, but let's just say, it needs a better name, haha.

Anyways, if they show one newcomer, I will be happy about the Direct. And since they will undoubtably show even more than that, it will be wonderful.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
After lurking around here for the past... hour, my hype for this direct has now increased even more! I honestly think the likely candidates for the direct are either one or two of the following

Issac (#TeamIssac)
Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo (#TeamMewtwo)
Pac-man (#TeamPacman)
Mii's

Though, im hoping we'll just get a new overall trailer in the same fashion Brawl did in where they show revealed characters mixed in with veterans and a newcomer. Honestly, i'd be happy with either of these guys and im really looking foreword to seeing new gameplay footage along with a new CG trailer. I seriously cant contain my hype much longer! Bodies will be ready!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think Palutena is a likely candidate but I think two of the hype bringers, Mewtwo and Ridley could be saved for E3 or just before the release date.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think Palutena is a likely candidate but I think two of the hype bringers, Mewtwo and Ridley could be saved for E3 or just before the release date.
I agree with you on Ridley (even though i dont want him in), but revealing Mewtwo in a direct is a great way to stir up some hype before E3 and continue on from the hype train Mario Kart 8 started with the Wii U. Plus, he is a veteran after all, so revealing him now would sorta make sense.

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
This is one of my first replies on this forum!

Really hope they show off more from the 3DS game.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mewtwo is a massive hype generator and deal breaker so Sakurai is going to use him when most advantageous. Japan is literally going nuts over getting Mewtwo (and Roy) back into the game.

R0Y

Smash Master
Warning Received
This is one of my first replies on this forum!

Really hope they show off more from the 3DS game.
Wait, Meta Knight's your main Sah?! (Native1080p here)

Mewtwo is a massive hype generator and deal breaker so Sakurai is going to use him when most advantageous. Japan is literally going nuts over getting Mewtwo (and Roy) back into the game.
Meanwhile in the west....

WE WANT RIDLEY!!! WE WANT RIDLEY!!! WE WANT RIDLEY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
You're right about how much hype Mewtwo would cause, but i still feel he has a chance of being shown in the direct even if it is a small chance. However, if they do save Mewtwo for E3 then the hype will be so damn strong. I'd be like an endless party of excitement until the release of the game. Heck, i bet a reveal of Mewtwo at E3 would make Pac-Mans reveal (speaking hypothetically, of course) less upsetting for people.

Top Bottom