• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Well, one thing's for sure, we're gonna get a lot of information. A Nintendo Direct usually runs somewhere between 30-40 minutes in length. Here are a few things I'm expecting:

1) A new trailer, which will likely give us 2-3 veterans. We had usually been getting vet reveals every two weeks, but the recent drought has gone from Feb 20th until April 8th (likely). That's 6 and a half weeks, pretty much, in which time we would have normally seen 2 or 3 veterans, as long as that pattern held up. So I think we'll get a few of them all at once. I'm really hoping for Yoshi, Wario, and Snake for a few reasons. Yoshi: we know he's going to be in and is the only one missing from the original 8 starters. Wario: We've seen assist trophies pointing to his inclusion, such as Ashley, so I think it would make sense to show him soon. Snake: I just want to know what the heck is going on with Snake...I hope he returns, but he's sort of in limbo right now. Maybe we'll see news on transformations as well, such as Sheik and Zero Suit Samus...?

2) A newcomer. I doubt we'll get two, but you never know. If anything, I would lean towards Palutena (assuming that infamous leak is real) or Mii. I don't really want Miis in, but a part of me thinks they're pretty much a shoe-in. Hoping for Shulk as well though...and if Ridley were going to be in the game, I don't think they'd reveal him now. Seems like an E3 sort of deal.

3) Gameplay and modes!!! To be honest, this is what I'm most excited for at this point. Perhaps we'll get to see what the single player adventure portion is like. Does All-Star mode return? How about a boss rush? I'd love to see if the Stage Builder were going to come back as well, and see what kind of improvements there were to it. I think things like this will be the most interesting aspects of the Direct. Let's face it, we haven't seen much in the way of actual gameplay and modes, and we need to see some more of that and really get a feel for the scope of this game.

4) Online functionality. I think we'll hear about the online modes, as well. Will the rules be adjustable? Will there be a variety of options such as tournaments, lobby rooms, and other such things? Will it be P2P or are there dedicated servers?

5) Interaction between the 3DS and Wii U versions. It has been stated that the two games will interact somehow, and it would be great to see just how that works.

6) This is a bit iffy, but maaaaaaaaybe a release date? I had originally thought Nintendo would tell us the release date at E3...but that was before a surprise Nintendo Direct specifically dedicated to Super Smash Bros. was announced. I'm still not sure if we'll get one just yet, and if we don't then I think we can be sure we'll get one at E3. However, with a dedicated Direct, there's this sort of weird shot that the game's closer to completion than we think...and maybe we'll get it relatively soon. I think August is the earliest Smash could arrive, and that would be great.

I am definitely excited, and cannot wait until Tuesday!

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
No one will care after November and the Wii U you will drown in a pool of its own Blood.
Indeed, though that was about as viscerally as you could have worded it :')

Though the Wii U's sales are improving dramatically, it needs MK/SSB to make a real difference. I'd personally quite like MK on May 31st, followed by Smash Mid-July. That way we get the big two close together, miss E3 and provide a real incentive to purchase the Wii U. Nintendo then can release Smash 3DS come November to capitalize on the Holiday market, which the 3DS can wait for considering it's better financial condition.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
E3 is too soon, the summer is brutal and nobody buys games then.

But if the Wii U version hits too late--like past September, the Wii U is signing up for an early grave. By then PS4 and XBone titles will start launching, and not even SSB can reach the mad hype (and loathsome machismo marketing) of the games scheduled for the holidays. Late summer/early Q3 (which I'm calling the August-September period) is my prediction for release.
The only way for you to be correct about the ps4 is if the rumor is true if sony changing there mind on making ps4 not backwards compatible (make ps1 and ps2 games work for ps4 and also HD certain ps2 games

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Have we got a time length? Usually Nintendo gives a time length estimation before the direct. That could really help us lower the hype expectations.

Or intensify them even stronger.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Have we got a time length? Usually Nintendo gives a time length estimation before the direct. That could really help us lower the hype expectations.

Or intensify them even stronger.
If past directs are anything to go on, then it is likely this direct will be approximately twenty minutes long.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
....not really. if Dr. Mario is still Mario then Paper Mario is DEFINITELY still mario.
Ehhhhh. I might get shot in the face by some fans for this but....

Paper Mario/Mario in the RPG series feels like an entirely different Mario.

For starters he has far far far far far more vibrant of a personality as Paper Mario. If Mario was more like like Paper Mario in the main franchise I'd probably have him in my top 5/10 Mario characters, which he is not even on despite it being his own franchise.

Regular Mario be boring yo.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
My reaction this morning:

OHH SO EXCITED I CAN'T EVEN...this weekend is literally going to suck.

#TeamPalutena #TeamRidley

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
HYPE HYPE HYPE

Also, if you think anyone besides the Plasm Wraith will be revealed, you're gonna be wrong! :awesome:

I think. :crying:

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
By that post I can tell you have never played PMTYD. Saying Papermario is a clone is like saying Luigi is a clone.
I think he meant that if Dr. Mario, who has his own series, was a Mario character in Melee rather than a Dr. Mario rep, then Paper Mario will be considered a Mario character.

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I think he meant that if Dr. Mario, who has his own series, was a Mario character in Melee rather than a Dr. Mario rep, then Paper Mario will be considered a Mario character.
Oh ok that makes a little more sense.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I wonder about revealing the Mii through the Direct.... I mean, this is supposed to be a 20-something minute (based on past game-exclusive Directs) info session targeted towards people who are already interested in Smash, people who check for the PotD every day. I feel like a Mii reveal, if it's in the cards, would be better suited to E3 because it could reach anyone who has a Wii U or is thinking about getting one. It'd be a great to advertise the game by saying "hey look, you can jump into this fighting game with a bunch of Nintendo characters, and still be yourself!" As for character reveals in the Direct itself, I suppose 2 newcomers is reasonable (especially considering the drought that was March).

Who knows, maybe they will show off a few veterans. Although I'm calling it now and guessing that Yoshi will not be revealed. My reasoning for this is that they would likely hold off on releasing him until they could sync it with the release of Yarn Yoshi, assuming that comes out in 2014 (plz yes). So if YY is coming out in 2014, they'd delay his reveal, if not then they might show him. Honestly, the only thing I'm really hoping for is a release date. I've suspected that "2014" was a nice way of saying "Late November 2014", but here's hoping I'm wrong and it comes out sooner.

Ooh, almost forgot, I hope they can talk about a (hopefully improved) online play experience, and character balancing a little bit. There are never any Smash tournaments in my area which makes me sad, and Brawl online was... well... yeah. Plz no return of Snake.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Anywhere between 20-40. It depends how big of a direct it will be.
Most of the title specific directs average out to about twenty minutes. While I'm sure a trailer or two might push the overall presentation to exceeding previous times, I don't see it exceeding thirty minutes.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

For starters he has far far far far far more vibrant of a personality as Paper Mario. If Mario was more like like Paper Mario in the main franchise I'd probably have him in my top 5/10 Mario characters, which he is not even on despite it being his own franchise.

Paper Mario is an alternate universe Mario. I think he deserves to be playable.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I wonder about revealing the Mii through the Direct.... I mean, this is supposed to be a 20-something minute (based on past game-exclusive Directs) info session targeted towards people who are already interested in Smash, people who check for the PotD every day. I feel like a Mii reveal, if it's in the cards, would be better suited to E3 because it could reach anyone who has a Wii U or is thinking about getting one. It'd be a great to advertise the game by saying "hey look, you can jump into this fighting game with a bunch of Nintendo characters, and still be yourself!" As for character reveals in the Direct itself, I suppose 2 newcomers is reasonable (especially considering the drought that was March).

Who knows, maybe they will show off a few veterans. Although I'm calling it now and guessing that Yoshi will not be revealed. My reasoning for this is that they would likely hold off on releasing him until they could sync it with the release of Yarn Yoshi, assuming that comes out in 2014 (plz yes). So if YY is coming out in 2014, they'd delay his reveal, if not then they might show him. Honestly, the only thing I'm really hoping for is a release date. I've suspected that "2014" was a nice way of saying "Late November 2014", but here's hoping I'm wrong and it comes out sooner.

Ooh, almost forgot, I hope they can talk about a (hopefully improved) online play experience, and character balancing a little bit. There are never any Smash tournaments in my area which makes me sad, and Brawl online was... well... yeah. Plz no return of Snake.
I agree with this reasoning
Welcome to the Boards

Zynux

Smash Lord
Hoping for mechanics/physics improvements and explanations, and to be greedy maybe a slight emphasis on the game's possible combo/tech possibilities. Keeping my expectations very low, as I have no idea what they're going to show. That said, some info on the online capabilities, one-player mode and other modes, and such would be nice.

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.
This quote is so nonsensical it isn't even funny. A bad game is a bad game, and no amount of postponement will likely be able to alter/change the direction the game took from day one.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

RPG Marios have more personality in general because they're RPGs.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This quote is so nonsensical it isn't even funny. A bad game is a bad game, and no amount of postponement will change that.
That quote has been a fantastic rule of thumb since its inception. You must realise who Shigeru Miyamoto actually is right? Is it so farfetched that a creative genius has actual standards?

A bad game is a bad game because it wasn't developed properly. Your logic here is awful.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm trying to ground my hype because I could totally see the following situation happening.

- New character confirmed (approx. 2 mins)
- In-depth analysis of Rosalina, Mac and new character (approx. 8 mins. Total: 10 mins)
- Talk more about gameplay mechanics (approx. 4 mins. Total: 14 mins)
- Explain stages like Super Mario 3D Land, Prism Tower and Rainbow Road more clearly (approx: 4 mins. Total: 18 mins)
- Talk about the official twitter (approx: 2 mins. Total: 20 mins)

and then the direct ends.

In terms of teams:
#TeamPalutena
#TeamDixie
#TeamKRool
#TeamCharacterWhoDoesntGetATeam

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
This quote is so nonsensical it isn't even funny. A bad game is a bad game, and no amount of postponement will change that.
The reasoning is that if you rush a game, it will be bad as a result, but if you take the time to make it a good game, it will indeed be a good game.
It's under the assumption that the premise isn't so inherently bad that it can't be a good game.
That quote has been a fantastic rule of thumb since its inception. You must realise who Shigeru Miyamoto actually is right? Is it so farfetched that a creative genius has actual standards?
That too.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm trying to ground my hype because I could totally see the following situation happening.

- New character confirmed (approx. 2 mins)
- In-depth analysis of Rosalina, Mac and new character (approx. 8 mins. Total: 10 mins)
- Talk more about gameplay mechanics (approx. 4 mins. Total: 14 mins)
- Explain stages like Super Mario 3D Land, Prism Tower and Rainbow Road more clearly (approx: 4 mins. Total: 18 mins)
- Talk about the official twitter (approx: 2 mins. Total: 20 mins)

and then another newcomer followed by another in-depth analysis.
fixed

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
How long before game releases do the respctive directs usually occur?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
for paper mario, I just want more rep to this serie (TTYD I'm looking at you) so it means I want a minimum of a good music the character is the best case but I'll be realist here: of all the potential mario newcomer, imo, he has the best chance now but by that I mean not likely and still possible this is due to the uniqueness of his serie I think everyone else died since rosalina.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
RPG Marios have more personality in general because they're RPGs.
I don't know about you but prior to the modern era of RPGS, protagonists were mostly silent. They could've easily just went with that.

But they didn't. They took Mario's pretty dully personality and magnified it times ten thousand.

Top Bottom