• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm really hoping the direct will be longer than 5 minutes...I just can't imagine that wait for a character reveal since March being worth it if it nothing much gets said like "Oohh....heres [Newcomer]! Bye bye!"
Its gotta be longer then that, even if its just a trailer and some vids like the developer direct where he shows us some changes ill be happy.

oh and id say which team im a part of, but as the mods said its clogging things up. And my sig pretty much tells who im backing

Last edited:

Boston Sean

Smash Rookie
NNID
mason385
Words cannot express how hype I am for this Smash Direct.

With that said, my predictions are as follows:
  • At least two character reveals. One veteran, one newcomer. On the side of the veterans, I wouldn't be surprised be to see Yoshi, Wario, Falcon or Ness and, if Snake returns, I feel like this Nintendo Direct would be the time to announce it. I could also see a Mewtwo re-reveal. In terms of newcomers, there are three who I fully expect to be in the new games: Mii, Palutena and Pac Man. With that being said, I expect one of them to be revealed come Tuesday (my bets are on Mii)
  • New Final Smash reveals for veteran characters (ala the Poltergust Luigi rework). Mega Lucario FS for Lucario is the one that I most expect and with the Mega Evolution anime special going on right now in Japan, I think it's a strong possibility.
  • Release date. I'm guessing October/November but I would not be surprised by a late Summer release date.
I actually did a prediction video earlier today so you can check that out too (though I pretty much reiterate what I posted here in the video)

Love the video man! Keep it up!

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
if its going to be a newcomer, i think it'll be a more predicatable one, perhaps one that we've been anticipating (Palutena/Ridley if at all). I'm really feeling a veteran being confirmed alongside a newcomer, most likely from different series (Yoshi/Ice Climbers).

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Funny, I actually saw this video earlier today. I agreed with pretty much all of your points.

Personally, I'm Team Palutena, so I'll be looking out for her. And plus you seem smart so I think I will like you.
Thanks so much! Nice to know that people out there are watching!

And yeah, some people earlier in the thread said it but, personally, I would rather see a Palutena or Pac Man reveal over a Mii reveal on Tuesday. I just think a Mii reveal is much more likely.

Or, you know, maybe Sakurai will give us something crazy like Django from Boktai. :)

Love the video man! Keep it up!
Arigatou!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's a good way to have attention drawn away from it by all those other games getting media attention, not to mention that's pretty much the busiest time of year for gaming journalism, they won't be able to give Smash proper due if it comes out then.

Nintendo isn't gonna be doing that. No companies do that with their triple-A titles.
This is probably another reason for why I'm not expecting an early release. I know that Fall can be inconvenient for those who have to go to school, but that's probably the most logical period for Smash 4 to be all set for release.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The dislike for WFT only outweighed the hype for a few hours, and Rosalina was always more hyped than hated since her reveal. You can't base reaction to characters on their standing now, once they get revealed the majority of people end up liking them, even many who decried them before.
I'm referring to the initial reaction.
For example, when I saw Rosalina was our Mario newcomer. I downright hated the thought of her being in.
Now granted, I do like her now. But it wasn't till much later and my anger died down. The same will happen here.

It would take a hell of a hated/unwanted/poorly fitting character to retain a higher amount of dislike than support post-reveal, and I really don't see that happening.
Pichu.
Knowing how fanbases have been (and the team thing going around).
It won't be hard.

And let me say this.
I never said "This character with always be hated".
I said that if we get said character. We're bound to have another moment like Wii Fit Trainer's reveal.

Last edited:
That's a good way to have attention drawn away from it by all those other games getting media attention, not to mention that's pretty much the busiest time of year for gaming journalism, they won't be able to give Smash proper due if it comes out then.

Nintendo isn't gonna be doing that. No companies do that with their triple-A titles.
I disagree. Smash would no doubt be getting attention from the convention , and what better way to close off the release of a game being covered by E3 by announcing that it will be released after the convention? If Nintendo covered all sorts of knew releases and offers a highly anticipated one right off of the bat then Nintendo would have the upper hand, as most of the other games being covered would be anticipated.

Of course this could always be negative considering that other companies could be announcing their games and incentive to purchase will drop. The way I see it's double edged sword.

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see a fun match between Sakurai and Iwata just showing off the gameplay, with maybe some casual "trash talk" in there. It'll be hilarious.

andimidna

Smash Master
Words cannot express how hype I am for this Smash Direct.

With that said, my predictions are as follows:
  • At least two character reveals. One veteran, one newcomer. On the side of the veterans, I wouldn't be surprised be to see Yoshi, Wario, Falcon or Ness and, if Snake returns, I feel like this Nintendo Direct would be the time to announce it. I could also see a Mewtwo re-reveal. In terms of newcomers, there are three who I fully expect to be in the new games: Mii, Palutena and Pac Man. With that being said, I expect one of them to be revealed come Tuesday (my bets are on Mii)
  • New Final Smash reveals for veteran characters (ala the Poltergust Luigi rework). Mega Lucario FS for Lucario is the one that I most expect and with the Mega Evolution anime special going on right now in Japan, I think it's a strong possibility.
  • Release date. I'm guessing October/November but I would not be surprised by a late Summer release date.
I actually did a prediction video earlier today so you can check that out too (though I pretty much reiterate what I posted here in the video)

I knew I recognized your voice immediately!
(saw Japan Time in your description)

And I could see all of those things happening.
Although I'm thinking Palutena is in the lead. Rather than Mii.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I wish Toad is confirmed.... he's been deconfirmed so many times that many people stopped supporting/expecting him.... so he would be almost unexpected. :(

Oh, and Duck Hunt Dog would be epic... the perfect retro character to follow in Mr. Game & Watch's and R.O.B.'s footsteps. :colorful:
You know, I hear that when Toad joins the battle, Alfonso is in charge of Peach's dress.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
#TeamMewtwo
#TeamPalutena
#TeamWonderRed

Honestly, Ridley, Pac-Man and Mii are all E3 material. Palutena isn't well-known or demanded enough and Mewtwo is a returning character from Melee, hence why I can see them being shown at the Direct.

I threw in Wonder Red purely because of the rumour that Hideki Kamiya retweeted the announcement.

And remember, in the famous words of Walter White...

"Nothing stops this train."

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Here are my top 3 predictions (I think 1 newcomer and 1 veteran will be announced):

Newcomer
-Palutena
-Ridley
-Chrom

Veteran
-Captain Falcon
-Yoshi
-Ness

Other
-New Final Smash (shows off new veteran's FS and the newcomer's FS)
-New Stage
-Game Modes and Customization Options

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
I am utterly flabbergasted by the amount of people who still think that Ridley is going to be playable after Sakurai very clearly hinted at his appearance on the Pyrosphere stage.

Don't get me wrong, if Ridley is playable, I'll be super happy. However, my expectations have been tempered.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Mario Kart 8 needs its time to shine though, so it would probably be better if Sakurai took his time with the two Smash 4 games.
I strongly disagree. With Smash 4 and Mario Kart being the two big system sellers this year, splitting the release by several months is unlikely to provide as large an incentive to invest in the Wii U as a semi-synced release, with perhaps a month's gap. The game droughts on the Wii U put off buyers, and two big games releasing concurrently is the push the console needs, which Nintendo are more than aware of. It's for this reason I am inclined to believe the 3DS version will be delayed.

D

Deleted member

OK, I saw a Team Bomberman and a Team Bandana Dee form. So...
#TeamBomberman
#TeamBandanaDee

Now with that out of the way...
I am hoping for something like E3. I want to see a ton of veterans get confirmed. We see characters like Yoshi, Meta Knight, Wario, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, and Ganondorf join the fray. Near the end of the trailer, we see a character get confirmed (most likely Palutena... eh...).
Immediately after, we see something... odd. We see a red circle and within the circle is a blue area with a symbol on it. We zoom out to see a sword in the middle of a grassy field... someone picks it up... SHULK ENVISIONS THE BATTLE!
I also hope to see 1P Modes, like Classic Mode.

That is the scenario that I am hoping will happen... but I am going to keep my expectations low to save myself from disappointment. I am not hyping myself for that reason.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Warning Received
#TeamTharja

Because, of course.

Mod Edit: Inappropriate image. Feel free to post a more forum- friendly picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Predictions

Newcomers

Palutena
Wonder Red

Veterans

Mewtwo
Captain Falcon
Ness
Meta Knight
Ice Climbers

Other

Release Date for Wii U Version
Demonstration of Stage Builder
New Generic Trailer
2 Stage Reveals

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Kinda odd that they're doing this rather close to E3.
I think it's weird too. I hope they don't hold back in this Direct for E3's. However, if Nintendo have a lot to show at E3 which, let's face it, they really should, maybe they don't have enough time to dedicate to Smash. If Zelda U, a new Mario game and a few surprises are in there (Metroid/Starfox), Nintendo would rather hype that, reminding everyone they're still here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why is everyone thinking one vet and one newcomer?
I could totally see 2 newcomers being revealed.
In fact that's exactly what I expect.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are you guys ready for Mii?

Because I'm pretty sure they will be revealed in the direct.

It's the perfect opportunity for Sakurai to sit down and explain them.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I know why we haven't seen Yoshi. He's probably been redone to be carrying baby Mario, who would count as a newcomer.

Mario Kart 8 needs its time to shine though, so it would probably be better if Sakurai took his time with the two Smash 4 games.
Mario Kart is good, but I'm not sure if it's enough. Games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid 5, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Batman Arkham Knight and sellers like Titanfall and Dark souls II selling now I don't think people are breaking their necks to play Mario Kart.

Last edited:

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Why is no one predicting Captain Rainbow? I mean, with all of the evidence pointing towards him, he seems like a given!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why is everyone thinking one vet and one newcomer?
I could totally see 2 newcomers being revealed.
In fact that's exactly what I expect.
You could probably ask the same question for those who want an early release. Sorry if I'm being a downer about this subject, but I'd rather take my time with the game development, rather than rush things in a reckless manner.

Mario Kart is good, but I'm not sure if it's enough. Games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid 5, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Batman Arkham Knight and sellers like Titanfall and Dark souls II selling now I don't think people are breaking their necks to play Mario Kart.
That's Mature-rated games for you. Not too many people seem to care for Nintendo's child friendly stuff nowadays. Heck, I saw a kid wanting to buy a South Park game, while I was pre-ordering Mario Kart 8 the other day.

Of course, that's not to say that all of the PS4 and XBOX1 games are Mature, as there are some games that are more child friendly, such as Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Are you guys ready for Mii?

Because I'm pretty sure they will be revealed in the direct.

It's the perfect opportunity for Sakurai to sit down and explain them.
I'll just say this.

As a concept, I don't hate Miis.
As long as they're their own character, I'm fine.
There's just too many issues with customization that it just makes more sense to have one moveset with an overall look.

Last edited:

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I am utterly flabbergasted by the amount of people who still think that Ridley is going to be playable after Sakurai very clearly hinted at his appearance on the Pyrosphere stage.

Don't get me wrong, if Ridley is playable, I'll be super happy. However, my expectations have been tempered.
I remember hearing you talk about this on Japan Time, but honestly I think this makes Ridley MORE likely. Why else would Sakurai purposely not show Ridley in the picture? He's clearly trying to bait and switch us again.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm not even hoping for multiple character reveals. One newcomer will suit me fine. New gameplay, adventure mode footage and a couple of new moves... I'll be content with just that.

Top Bottom