• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I am utterly flabbergasted by the amount of people who still think that Ridley is going to be playable after Sakurai very clearly hinted at his appearance on the Pyrosphere stage.

Don't get me wrong, if Ridley is playable, I'll be super happy. However, my expectations have been tempered.
If you still have issues with the stage hazard spectacle, take it over to the support thread. But to make things easier, Sakurai hinted towards Ridley in the same manner as he did with Palutena for her stage on the Wii U. He never said that "Ridley's going to attack the players on Pyrosphere", only that he made a reference to the events of Other M.

It's been nearly a year since the Pyrosphere was revealed, so I have my doubts that he would try to keep a stage element away this long.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm referring to the initial reaction.
For example, when I saw Rosalina was our Mario newcomer. I downright hated the thought of her being in.
Now granted, I do like her now. But it wasn't till much later and my anger died down. The same will happen here.
Good thing we aren't talking about you specifically. Sure there are some people who have reactions like yours, but when newcomers are revealed, the reaction tends to be an initial wave of overwhelming hype and a few very vocal detractors. But the wave of hype almost always is much greater.

I disagree. Smash would no doubt be getting attention from the convention , and what better way to close off the release of a game being covered by E3 by announcing that it will be released after the convention? If Nintendo covered all sorts of knew releases and offers a highly anticipated one right off of the bat then Nintendo would have the upper hand, as most of the other games being covered would be anticipated.

Of course this could always be negative considering that other companies could be announcing their games and incentive to purchase will drop. The way I see it's double edged sword.
Well there is a reason no companies do this, one being even with a release many people are still fawning over other games and the attention is very very much divided. Two is that the attention doted upon Smash would take away from Nintendo's own games they plan to show in addition to Smash, which would be counterproductive in the long run. Three is that even when the convention is over journalists still have more to write about and have quite a bit on their plate, not enough to devote an amount of attention Smash deserves (especially at E3 considering the week before release Smash will be one of many games being spotlighted). Four is summer is often the worst time to release major games, even if E3 takes place then. Five is people might see something at E3 they would rather spend their money on, and the week after they haven't lost their resolve to save for the other piece of software/hardware yet.

It really makes little sense to have the week leading up to such a major release be compromised by the entire gaming industry being pulled in dozens of different directions with all the news coverage.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I suppose I could list a few possible scenarios that I think could happen, while I'm here.

First off, I'm confident we'll get a newcomer. At least one. From most likely to least likely, I see the hierarchy as Chrom>Palutena>Mii>Takamaru. I wholeheartedly think it's between those four. Chrom and Takamaru have anniversaries this month, and Palutena and Mii have a ton of content in the game already. If we get two, I can see it as Chrom and Palutena, or the Mii and one of the former.

It's possible we may get a couple of veterans as well. One's I'd watch out for are some of the following: Yoshi, Wario, Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Sheik, Snake, and Mewtwo. The latter two would definitely be hype worthy. If I had to bet, I'd say Captain Falcon, Ness, and Snake have great odds.

I definitely think the release date will be revealed, likely this autumn.

Gameplay will be shown in heaps. And it will be awesome.

I expect more information about "the directionality of attacks" to be clarified, as well as Adventure Mode, if only so Serebii stops listing that forest from the first trailer as a DK stage. :p

In other words, hype/10.

D

Deleted member

Are you guys ready for Mii?

Because I'm pretty sure they will be revealed in the direct.

It's the perfect opportunity for Sakurai to sit down and explain them.
I didn't know you were joining SSB4!

Tell me, where do I sign up to fight Mario?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think we'll see some Final Smash's too. Maybe Luigi's + the three unrevealed newcomers? Or no Palutena reveal but a new FS for Pit.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Since team bomber man exists will start #teamsimonbelmont , any how will you feel if they announced master pieces will return

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd love for it to be a Lip reveal, of course, buuuuuuuut realistically speaking it's probably going to be Palutena, Chrom, Takamaru, or someone along those lines. I'm going to keep an open mind about it though.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Good thing we aren't talking about you specifically. Sure there are some people who have reactions like yours, but when newcomers are revealed, the reaction tends to be an initial wave of overwhelming hype and a few very vocal detractors. But the wave of hype almost always is much greater.
Good thing isn't it?
Now back to general reactions.

I'll I'm just saying is to expect some reaction. Whether positive or negative.
I'm just thinking it'll be the latter.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
E3 is too soon, the summer is brutal and nobody buys games then.

But if the Wii U version hits too late--like past September, the Wii U is signing up for an early grave. By then PS4 and XBone titles will start launching, and not even SSB can reach the mad hype (and loathsome machismo marketing) of the games scheduled for the holidays. Late summer/early Q3 (which I'm calling the August-September period) is my prediction for release.

D

Deleted member

Hasn't it been pretty much been proven anniversaries don't mean much to Sakurai unless its Smash Bros? I'm not doubting anyone like Chrom or Takamaru...but I just don't think its the main reason they'll get revealed in the Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hasn't it been pretty much been proven anniversaries don't mean much to Sakurai unless its Smash Bros? I'm not doubting anyone like Chrom or Takamaru...but I just don't think its the main reason they'll get revealed in the Direct.
It tends to go on and off. Look at Mac's reveal, for example. It was a Punch-Out!! anniversary month.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
E3 is too soon, the summer is brutal and nobody buys games then.

But if the Wii U version hits too late--like past September, the Wii U is signing up for an early grave. By then PS4 and XBone titles will start launching, and not even SSB can reach the mad hype (and loathsome machismo marketing) of the games scheduled for the holidays. Late summer/early Q3 (which I'm calling the August-September period) is my prediction for release.
It sucks that you don't want to rush the game development, and yet if you don't release the game early, the upcoming competition will just crush all your hopes to pieces.

One way or another, something will eventually give.

nessokman

Smash Lord
They aren't going to say:"Hey, here are a couple of new mechanics and characters, IT COMES OUT NEXT MONTH!".Mario Kart had a release date set in january (If I recall) at least 3-5 months before it's actual release, it is only logical that smash will have an announced release date 3-5 months from the direct.

Expected date:July-september

Unless sakurai wants to go with a stealth release and it comes out a week after the direct :troll:

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Words cannot express how hype I am for this Smash Direct.

With that said, my predictions are as follows:
  • At least two character reveals. One veteran, one newcomer. On the side of the veterans, I wouldn't be surprised be to see Yoshi, Wario, Falcon or Ness and, if Snake returns, I feel like this Nintendo Direct would be the time to announce it. I could also see a Mewtwo re-reveal. In terms of newcomers, there are three who I fully expect to be in the new games: Mii, Palutena and Pac Man. With that being said, I expect one of them to be revealed come Tuesday (my bets are on Mii)
  • New Final Smash reveals for veteran characters (ala the Poltergust Luigi rework). Mega Lucario FS for Lucario is the one that I most expect and with the Mega Evolution anime special going on right now in Japan, I think it's a strong possibility.
  • Release date. I'm guessing October/November but I would not be surprised by a late Summer release date.
I actually did a prediction video earlier today so you can check that out too (though I pretty much reiterate what I posted here in the video)

Off Topic for a sec, but I love your podcasts. What is the name of that intro though?

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
well think about it like this, the loner it takes for them to make it, the more time they have to work on it and make it better.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Those poor admins. Our hype is their kryptonite. They're trampled under our excitement, and are left to clean the place while we're at the after party. Good ol' hard workers.
Don't worry, we have our own fun. It's called "Raid Time *******" *gas masks* *smoke grenades* *people disappearing and never being seen again*. Your current perception of such covert operations being nonexistent is pleasing.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I want it to be as good as possible.
Delay it to 2015, just make it great.
I don't have a Wii U yet anyway.
A delay would all but kill the Wii U. It needs Mario Kart and Smash Bros this year. Bayonetta and X will be fantastic games, no doubt, but not system sellers - and I don't see Zelda U until next year. Nintendo wouldn't allow this game to be delayed.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think the newcomer will be someone expected to be in the game but not someone to be revealed right now.

It's like with Mac. Everyone was on board the "It's going to be Dixie" train but then Sakurai's like "Nope have someone almost as short tho"

I guess what I'm getting at is I'd like to see Dixie revealed on Tuesday lol

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I could easily wait till November for it. Having a family and work makes time fly by.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If Sakurai loved me we'd get Isaac, Micaiah, Ness and Captain Falcon confirmed. Also a date reveal in August.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Those poor admins. Our hype is their kryptonite. They're trampled under our excitement, and are left to clean the place while we're at the after party. Good ol' hard workers.
In case you haven't noticed, we are just as excited as anyone else. But it would be courteous if everyone tried not to get too out of control on Tuesday. Unless Bayonetta is revealed, in which case I give everyone a free pass to lose their collective mind's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom