• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I question the return of Metal Mario. What a stupid waste of a slot. Seeing him killed my hype for the roster, unfortunately.
...Earlier in this thread I mentioned that they announced in a direct that all seven Koopalings as separate playable characters.
Your roster hype was killed by the shiny evil twin, not the ugly, acid-trip septuplets?
Seriously, seven slots. For Koopalings.

Personally, I like Metal Mario, but I don't care about the roster so long as Shy Guy is in (though Blooper would be cool).

_Sheik

Smash Lord
#TeamChrom

Chrom, my soooooooul! (Insert Jam Project's "Skill" chorus as background music here)

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
I'm really curious to see how Mr. Douglas Jay Falcon will look though (because you obviously can't tell by my avatar and mains, right?). I wonder if he'll have a redesign at all. Hopefully the knee caps from Brawl will come off, hinting at the almighty knee coming back.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...Earlier in this thread I mentioned that they announced in a direct that all seven Koopalings as separate playable characters.
Your roster hype was killed by the shiny evil twin, not the ugly, acid-trip septuplets?

Personally, I like Metal Mario, but I don't care about the roster so long as Shy Guy is in (though Blooper would be cool).
The Koopalings are all their own characters, with their own personalities and designs. Not to mention that they're villains, and fun, unique ones at that.

Metal Mario is literally a retexture with a stupid effect put on his sound files. One that hasn't been relevant since the ****in' Nintendo 64 days. The game is already full of stupid Baby clones. We don't need one that doesn't even have his own model and voice clips.

Yeah. That was one of the biggest letdowns of all time. Stupid useless Koopalings...

Do we actually KNOW all the unlockable characters yet? Because if there are 7 Koopalings, but DK is all alone, I'm going to flip a ****.
You people are ****ing insane. How the hell are the Koopalings a letdown? They're unique, iconic characters with tons of history in the Mario franchise. If you want to be mad at characters, be mad at **** like Baby Daisy.

---

I took the Koopalings as a sign that the roster slots were going to go to characters that mattered. Characters that actually had substance and history with the franchise. They gave me hope that the roster was going to be big enough to support characters from the Luigi's Mansion and WarioWare/Land spin-offs, too. Metal Mario's shown that they're just going the same-old "throw everything and the kitchen sink in, no matter how irrelevant or pointless it is".

Ugh.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Yeah. That was one of the biggest letdowns of all time. Stupid useless Koopalings...

Do we actually KNOW all the unlockable characters yet? Because if there are 7 Koopalings, but DK is all alone, I'm going to flip a ****.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lol, I didn't think of it like that :chuckle:, was kind of going for a 'reset' of attitude. It was all fun and stuff, and the other places I go say MUCH worse things about him that I'd get banned just for quoting. I went back and fixed the post too. Once again, I'm sorry, and this community is too mature for crap like that.
Well, I understood you were just joking around, but I can also see why some people don't like when people start making fun of Iwata's English. There are a lot of people here who don't have English as their native language (me included).

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The Koopalings are all their own characters, with their own personalities and designs. Not to mention that they're villains, and fun, unique ones at that.

Metal Mario is literally a retexture with a stupid effect put on his sound files. One that hasn't been relevant since the ****in' Nintendo 64 days. The game is already full of stupid Baby clones. We don't need one that doesn't even have his own model and voice clips.

You people are ****ing insane. How the hell are the Koopalings a letdown?
YAY people arguing opinion.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Realistically this is what I'm expecting:

• A new CGI trailer showcasing a newcomer
  • Possible veterans revealed in the trailer or later on
  • A few new stages
  • New gameplay mechanics explained
  • New items (assist trophies and pokeballs too)
  • In depth about major changes in revealed characters
  • Demonstration of some of the new items
  • Showing off a few Final Smashes in action
  • More in depth with Little Mac's moveset
  • More in depth with Roslina & Luma's moveset
  • More in depth with newcomers moveset

These are what I'm hopeful for:

• Single player mode revealed
  • Mii revealed as new character with customization features
  • More relevant for 3DS version, but Miis can be transferred over to Wii U version
  • New costumes (Male Wii Fit Trainer)
  • Online mode explained
  • Vague release date

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
The Koopalings are all their own characters, with their own personalities and designs. Not to mention that they're villains.

This so much. If you're going to complain about wasted slots on Koopalings, you may as well start with the baby characters. Baby Mario and Luigi are bad enough...but Baby Daisy and Peach? Ughhhhhh. Why can't they instill an actual mandatory license program in the Marioverse to not let characters drive until they're at least...18?

Then again, imagine teen Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy. Guess you just can't win...(actually teen Peach and Daisy could be hot :D.) ...I'm a teen, it's not wrong!

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
... you don't happen to have a identical/similar avatar on SmashGAF, and is pretty much only interested in the 3DS version? I follow SmashGAF a lot, so I thought maybe you are that person. If now, my bad. D:

Ahem. On topic, Palutena would be awesome, but since I am already sure she is in the game, I would be much happier if Another of my most wanted were revealed. Like Ridley, or even Mewtwo. But of course, any newcomer is awesome~
That's me, SuperSah.

Yeah, I only own a 3DS so my hype lays there.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Well, I understood you were just joking around, but I can also see why some people don't like when people start making fun of Iwata's English. There are a lot of people here who don't have English as their native language (me included).
Lol Nobody should actually have English as the native language. It lacks culture theres a reason why its called the language of business

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

You people are ****ing insane. How the hell are the Koopalings a letdown?
I'm not sure how to break it to you, but the Koopalings cumulatively have one character, if that. They are an inferior, cluster-**** and mutually identical version of those trick-or-treaters from Nightmare Before Christmas.
They aren't even unique amongst each other, let alone as characters in general.
Metal Mario is a villain, and his dialogue is different from Mario's (though still by the same voice actor). He also appears to have the most unique-looking vehicles.

On topic: Do we all think the game is pretty close to done? Is it really just a matter of when they want to release it?

Edit: One koopaling I can understand, maybe two (the female one), but seven...
Seven slots on a limited roster.
SEVEN
FOR NEARLY IDENTICAL MINI-BOSSES

Last edited:
Exactly.
Tired of seeing all of these 3rd party characters getting more love on this forum than Nintendo characters.
Most of these people just pick up a Nintendo console for Smash, which isn't uncommon, but boy does it grind my gears when they start putting down other people's opinions because they don't know the character or haven't played their game. Some dumb *** employee at Best Buy was trying to convince me that Master Chief is an actual possibility for this game, and claimed he had a better chance of making it in than Sonic did. I just didn't feel the need to waste my time with that conversation.

This is a Nintendo's All-Star game, can't believe people can keep forgetting that.
If there are supporters of the Duck Hunt Dog, let them support him. Aside from that being a ridiculously cool and unique addition, Duck Hunt is a HUGE Nintendo game that did wonders for the NES. I'm not knocking Xenoblade Chronicles at all, but Duck Hunt is a much more important series to Nintendo that has yet to be properly represented, and I would take that dog over Shulk anyday.
I don't think that's what he meant.

Is it really a problem that people play more than just Nintendo games?

Nintendo games aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, and believe it or not, some people don't love all of Nintendo's franchises. You should respect that difference instead of being an angry fanboy who condescendingly dismisses others desire because you choose to spend your money differently than others.

I'm getting my Wii U for smash. I love my Playstation 2 and 3 to death and they are my primary entertainment systems as I do not want all of Nintendo's games. Gamers should not be criticizing subcategories of gamers, it's dumb and makes you sound like a hipster.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings

Nintendo games aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, and believe it or not, some people don't love all of Nintendo's franchises. You should respect that difference instead of being an angry fanboy who condescendingly dismisses others desire because you choose to spend your money differently than others.

I'm getting my Wii U for smash. I love my Playstation 2 and 3 to death and they are my primary entertainment systems as I do not want all of Nintendo's games. Gamers should not be criticizing subcategories of gamers, it's dumb and makes you sound like a hipster.
Of course it's not an issue that people like their other systems more than Nintendo.
And of course it's not an issue that they personally don't like some of the franchises.
I'm not looking to ironically start an argument over franchise representation, but because you personally don't enjoy a game doesn't give you the right to lash out at people who support that franchise.

This is a Nintendo's All-Star game after all.
And if someone thinks a certain franchise means more to Nintendo than another, then let them think that.
People are arguing over opinions here. Opinions for god's sake.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

It almost like you both are talking about different arguments.. wait you are

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I'm pretty sure his point was just that Smash is about Nintendo, but there is a disproportionate amount of demand for non-Nintendo characters, which isn't the point of the game.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
This thread moves so dvmn fast. I have a term paper to finish but for some reason reading post after post on here is so much more enticing. Hurry Tuesday, for the sake of my GPA.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something I really want (but has virtually no chance of happening) is a series of trailers similar to the ones at E3. The first one would show off a ton of veterans and a newcomer, the second would show off a megaton newcomer, and the third would show a super obscure/curve ball character. Combined, the Villager, Megaman, and WFT trailers were about 5 minutes so something like this would be very easy to fit into the (at least) 20 minute time slot and still show a ton of info that's not character related. There's also the fact that there's still a ton of veterans who are almost guaranteed to come back (:falcon::falco::ganondorf::popo::jigglypuff::metaknight::gw::ness2::rob::sheik::wario::yoshi2::zerosuitsamus:) and I'd prefer if they knocked out a lot of them at once. The E3 trailer knocked out nine but, like I just showed, if one as big as that was done, there would still be a decent number left over. My basic expectation is 2-3 but I'd be ecstatic if we got 4-5 and cross eyed gitty if they were bold enough to go beyond that.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
This so much. If you're going to complain about wasted slots on Koopalings, you may as well start with the baby characters. Baby Mario and Luigi are bad enough...but Baby Daisy and Peach? Ughhhhhh. Why can't they instill an actual mandatory license program in the Marioverse to not let characters drive until they're at least...18?

Then again, imagine teen Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy. Guess you just can't win...(actually teen Peach and Daisy could be hot :D.) ...I'm a teen, it's not wrong!
Hey, at least Baby Peach has actually appeared in several canon games. Baby Daisy was literally pulled out of Nintendo's ass, much like a certain purple, mustachioed anti-hero.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

You people are ****ing insane. How the hell are the Koopalings a letdown? They're unique, iconic characters with tons of history in the Mario franchise. If you want to be mad at characters, be mad at **** like Baby Daisy.

---

I took the Koopalings as a sign that the roster slots were going to go to characters that mattered. Characters that actually had substance and history with the franchise. They gave me hope that the roster was going to be big enough to support characters from the Luigi's Mansion and WarioWare/Land spin-offs, too. Metal Mario's shown that they're just going the same-old "throw everything and the kitchen sink in, no matter how irrelevant or pointless it is".

Ugh.
Look, here's the deal. Mario Kart 7 had the worst roster in Mario Kart history, but I'm honestly not surprised to see those characters return because they're popular choices.

It's not that the Koopalings are a poor choice. They're certainly nostalgic and iconic in their own way. It's just that their designs have never interested me, and seeing them take up 7 slots for what essentially amounts to a variation on a "Bowser" character disappoints me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely livid the baby characters (other than Mario/Luigi obviously) are back, but I've sort of numbed myself to it, because they just LOVE to shove them where they don't belong.

I'm also disappointed I haven't seen King Boo and Petey. If they wanted to include the Koopalings, it should come at the expense of wastes like Baby Daisy. Diddy and Dixie ought to show up, also. I mean really.

This won't be relevant to the Tuesday direct, but I wanted to clarify my feelings on it. I'm not convinced its "insane" :shades:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Lol Nobody should actually have English as the native language. It lacks culture theres a reason why its called the language of business
Implying any language lacks culture is the most narrow-minded venture in ****ing human thought

Last edited:
Of course it's not an issue that people like their other systems more than Nintendo.
And of course it's not an issue that they personally don't like some of the franchises.
I'm not looking to ironically start an argument over franchise representation, but because you personally don't enjoy a game doesn't give you the right to lash out at people who support that franchise.

This is a Nintendo's All-Star game after all.
And if someone thinks a certain franchise means more to Nintendo than another, then let them think that.
People are arguing over opinions here. Opinions for god's sake.
Arguing over opinions is unfortunately a common theme here. And you are right that it is lame that people will criticize you because you didn't play the game a character is from, but let's not pretend that the same people are guilty of the inverse. I've seen one too many people here, for example, who have called Snake a generic call of duty soldier who apparently doesn't fit into the game despite being informed by other players the context of the game.

I really don't debate about characters because I don't care since I'll inevitably try everyone, but sometimes people say very irrational things that warrant a response.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
man your going to be eating lots of crow then
If Pac Man is revealed, I will change my avi to him (eating Mewtwo or a moped, if I can find it), change my location to "Crow Buffet" and my signature to "Waka-Waka-Waka" for a month. If any of these are unsatisfactory, feel free to give me an alternative that would be more fitting.

I trust you will do something along those lines when he isn't, though.

I'm pretty sure his point was just that Smash is about Nintendo, but there is a disproportionate amount of demand for non-Nintendo characters, which isn't the point of the game.
So what? Just because someone wants a character doesn't mean they will be in the game. Live and let die.

And beyond beating the **** out of each other with Nintendo characters and guest stars, what is this game about then?

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
I hope they don't give even a second screen-time to CGI trailer. CGI's are just unneccessary, purely aesthetic, meaningless add-on videos with no replay value.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hey, at least Baby Peach has actually appeared in several canon games. Baby Daisy was literally pulled out of Nintendo's ***, much like a certain purple, mustachioed anti-hero.
At least Waluigi has been around long enough to get some representation, even if he is just an Assist Trophy.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I'm expecting:
- one or two vets
- a newcomer
- significant amount of gameplay footage featuring some characters we've yet to see in action (Peach, Marth, Zelda, Olimar, Diddy, etc)
- newcomer's trailer
- a general trailer (if we're lucky plzplz)
- some exploration of game mechanics, single-player modes and other little bonuses but not too much info to ruin the surprise

And then obviously the gameplay footage gives us some enlightened perspective on a few stages we're all curious to see more of.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what? Just because someone wants a character doesn't mean they will be in the game. Live and let die.

And beyond beating the **** out of each other with Nintendo characters and guest stars, what is this game about then?
It is also a Nintendo encyclopedia so it is about Nintendo history.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

How can u say "beyond beating the **** out of each other" When that is the point. your not giving any options when you say this.
your just gunna get a bunch of corny answers like " its to have fun" and " to enjoy company" and other garbage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've never really tried before, but can't you just delete them and redownload them and get the amount of tries to reset?
I don't think it works that way. If anything, Nintendo most likely keeps track of your download history, via, your Nintendo Network ID.

Top Bottom