• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder if Sakurai and his development team will do what MK8 did and just polish already good game to brim with detail and dedication.' MK8 evoked the inner child in me because how many amazing things it brought in and how it reminded me how I fell in love with Mario kart at first place. In fact, I never felt that in the last installments.
I question the return of Metal Mario. What a stupid waste of a slot. Seeing him killed my hype for the roster, unfortunately.

BUT, they can't really do this. Brawl is such a divisive game because of how different it is from Melee, which some people tend to treat like the god of all games. The only way to, at the very least, try to appeal to everyone is find a good balance between SSBB and SSBM. You can't just take Brawl and add more crap, because a lot of people hated Brawl. You can't just take Melee and add more crap, because a lot of people don't care for it, either.

I don't think Sakurai really knows what's best for Smash, nor do any of us. But I think the direction he's taking this game seems to be the best compromise we can hope for.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Lol, I'm just kidding. I love Iwata, I have tons of respect for him. But you have to admit, he really does talk like that. And that also sounds like one of the many disappointing ways he would end a Direct.
Oh so that was talking.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would agree with this sentiment if E3 wasn't literally just 2 months away. Haha.
E3 doesn't necessary mean anything. E3 2007 didn't show anything new for Brawl and the only thing that was revealed was the release date. As I said, I don't think they're going to pour everything into this or E3 but instead split things up which is why, for instance, I'm not expecting another new third party character (if there is one) or Miis until E3.

Think about it. Only one Wii U system, and you only get 7 minutes for one demo. Add the number of people who want to try out the demos, and it's just a major disappointment in the end. I've been to the Best Buy event, and it went very poorly.
Well, I mean if it was properly executed it would have been great. Having it playable at E3 would suck too. I've been to E3 4 times, and it's exhausting. Waiting in line for 2 hours just to play a game for 5 minutes sucks, so it's basically the same thing, except you don't get a free t-shirt or have a booth girl flirt with you while your playing as if you are desperate for attention from the opposite sex since many people in the facility are actually foreign geeks with a lot of money. Then again, I'm handsome, so it's expected lol.

Either way I think that they should make their event public to get an edge on the competition, just do it better.

Also, I'm not doing any more push ups after this. I'll just do crunches or something. **** hurts now lol

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Im pretty sure this is racist. But i literally can't comprehend what was said in this post. its literally way above me or way below....or even on such a close wave length with me that im rejecting its existence like a reflection of myself... or am i the reflection......HOLY SHI
"Finally, I'd like to end with saying Super Smash Brothers for Wii U will have a demo on the Nintendo eShop after this Direct. However, the demo will only have Mario and Mii on Battlefield. It will also only have three uses. Oh, and it is only a video. Please understand. Thank you for watching."
BAM.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
72 hours and 30 minutes before the Nintendo Direct starts...

To pass the time, I'll be reading some manga.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I remember as well. I think it was Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
Yeah Theatrhythm was unlimited. I got a lot of use out of that demo. Apparently it's totally up to the developers discretion. But you wouldn't think so because almost everyone makes them limited for some reason. I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves have never made a demo that wasn't limited.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know expectations should be low, but if there were 2 newcomers revealed, how would you guys like it?

1. The lesser hype character at the beginning and the greater hype character at the end?
2. The greater hype character at the beginning and the lesser hype character at end?
3. Two trailers side by side?
4. One big trailer revealing multiple newcomers?
5. Another option?

Personally I like option 4 the most, (even if it means less trailer goodness).
Option 1 is pretty good as well though.
I see option 1 being the most likely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
"Finally, I'd like to end with saying Super Smash Brothers for Wii U will have a demo on the Nintendo eShop after this Direct. However, the demo will only have Mario and Mii on Battlefield. It will also only have three uses. Oh, and it is only a video. Please understand. Thank you for watching."
BAM.
You know, that would be one very sick joke, and not in a good way either.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lol, I'm just kidding. I love Iwata, I have tons of respect for him. But you have to admit, he really does talk like that. And that also sounds like one of the many disappointing ways he would end a Direct.
Oh boy.

I wish I wouldn't feel dead inside everytime Iwata's english comes off as "funny" to some people.

In all seriousness, look at Iwata and what he wants to do for us. The very president of Nintendo decides to learn a language that most other higher-up would just give to some translators to say- in order to talk to us in person, and direct the announcements and things from Nintendo by himself to all of us fans. The dedication and the very effort to learn what might come out as difficult language for him (in some peoples' opinion), should be looked in much more approved light than ridiculing one.

Shortly, give the guy cheers instead of ridiculing, if you wouldn't mind. Ewrybuddeh hat tu sukc bevor becoming fluent with a foreign language, including all of us that doesn't use it as a mother tongue (i.e me.)

And I believe Iwata will become fluent with it too someday.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Though, with option 1, that means we won't get an in-depth look of the character revealed at the end until probably E3. Where we would have to rely on POTDs for information until then. (All of this assuming we are getting a deeper look at the previously revealed newcomers to begin with).

Still, would certainly be hype-worthy.
I imagine that if we're going to get reveals like that in the Direct, the first one will inevitably be Mii, and because of the nature of Miis it wouldn't feel that odd that they explain them, but not the last newcomer.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
72 hours and 30 minutes before the Nintendo Direct starts...

To pass the time, I'll be reading some manga.
1/3 of them circa will be made of sleep, so they won't hurt!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's not racist. It's just broken english. Being of Jamaican descent broken English is pretty common. Just happens to be the Asian oriented version lol. Either way it's just a joke. Laughter tends to rob offensive slurs of their power, so we should be thanking him. =P

Morbi

Scavenger
E3 doesn't necessary mean anything. E3 2007 didn't show anything new for Brawl and the only thing that was revealed was the release date. As I said, I don't think they're going to pour everything into this or E3 but instead split things up which is why, for instance, I'm not expecting another new third party character (if there is one) or Miis until E3.
Maybe you are correct; everything seems to be transitioning to Direct only. They will obviously do something for E3, but maybe I am incorrect, perhaps this will be the big character montage we are looking for. Only one way to find out.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
No, it was a hidden message that when mixed around would declare you the king of the universe. But it seems you have failed that test, my dishonorable son.
lol I failed to read the messaged but still declared king of the universe right.

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
Oh boy.

I wish I wouldn't feel dead inside everytime Iwata's english comes off as "funny" to some people.

In all seriousness, look at Iwata and what he wants to do for us. The very president of Nintendo decides to learn a language that most other higher-up would just give to some translators to say- in order to talk to us in person, and direct the announcements and things from Nintendo by himself to all of us fans. The dedication and the very effort to learn what might come out as difficult language for him (in some peoples' opinion), should be looked in much more approved light than ridiculing one.

Shortly, give the guy cheers instead of ridiculing, if you wouldn't mind. Ewrybuddeh hat tu sukc bevor becoming fluent with a foreign language, including all of us that doesn't use it as a mother tongue (i.e me.)

I'm sorry.
:GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Amusingly, the Mario Kart 8 Q&A video ended with a joke in that Mario would not be in the game. That was obviously a sarcastic answer though.
That was sarcastic? Man, I was so sure he wasn't gonna be in the game. He just seems like a waste of a slot, y'know?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
To be honest, despite Smash Bros being an Nintendo-orientated game, I get the feeling that 70% of the community in Smash Boards don't even know much about Nintendo characters.
Exactly.
Tired of seeing all of these 3rd party characters getting more love on this forum than Nintendo characters.
Most of these people just pick up a Nintendo console for Smash, which isn't uncommon, but boy does it grind my gears when they start putting down other people's opinions because they don't know the character or haven't played their game. Some dumb ass employee at Best Buy was trying to convince me that Master Chief is an actual possibility for this game, and claimed he had a better chance of making it in than Sonic did. I just didn't feel the need to waste my time with that conversation.

This is a Nintendo's All-Star game, can't believe people can keep forgetting that.
If there are supporters of the Duck Hunt Dog, let them support him. Aside from that being a ridiculously cool and unique addition, Duck Hunt is a HUGE Nintendo game that did wonders for the NES. I'm not knocking Xenoblade Chronicles at all, but Duck Hunt is a much more important series to Nintendo that has yet to be properly represented, and I would take that dog over Shulk anyday.

Last edited:
Oh boy.

Your hearts in the right place, but applauding would basically be patronizing him. He's a grown man, he knows his lane and what he is capable of.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I admit one of my main reasons to buy Nintendo consoles is Smash, but there are plenty of other good games, first party or not, on Nintendo consoles.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Exactly.
Tired of seeing all of these 3rd party characters getting more love on this forum than Nintendo characters.
Most of these people just pick up a Nintendo console for Smash, which isn't uncommon, but boy does it grind my gears when they start putting down other people's opinions because they don't know the character or it isn't third party enough.

This is a Nintendo's All-Star game, can't believe people can keep forgetting that.
If there are supporters of the Duck Hunt Dog, let them support him. Aside from that being a ridiculously cool and unique addition, Duck Hunt is a HUGE Nintendo game that did wonders for the NES. I'm not knocking Xenoblade Chronicles at all, but Duck Hunt is a much more important series to Nintendo that has yet to be properly represented, and I would take that dog over Shulk anyday.
People only love thing that actually get love from there creators, Nintendo has much to many character they forget in a ditch witch make poeple start pleading to other franchises but i get your point.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Exactly.
Most of these people just pick up a Nintendo console for Smash, which isn't uncommon, but boy does it grind my gears when they start putting down other people's opinions because they don't know the character or haven't played their game. Some dumb *** employee at Best Buy was trying to convince me that Master Chief is an actual possibility for this game, and claimed he had a better chance of making it in than Sonic did. I just didn't feel the need to waste my time with that conversation.

I'm sure you didn't mean it, but it sounded like you said Shulk was a third-party character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh boy.

As someone who learned English as a second language, I completely agree with this.

Also, not everyone has the same aptitude to learn foreign languages and from what I know, English is hard for a Japanese person to learn.

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
NO CONTEST!
Lol, I didn't think of it like that :chuckle:, was kind of going for a 'reset' of attitude. It was all fun and stuff, and the other places I go say MUCH worse things about him that I'd get banned just for quoting. I went back and fixed the post too. Once again, I'm sorry, and this community is too mature for crap like that.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I admit one of my main reasons to buy Nintendo consoles is Smash, but there are plenty of other good games, first party or not, on Nintendo consoles.
It's a shame that the Wii U has competition though, as that's the biggest reason for its sticky situation right now.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure you didn't mean it, but it sounded like you said Shulk was a third-party character.
Yeah I kind of worded it to think that, but I meant in as a comparison to Nintendo 1st party titles.
I'm not knocking Xenoblade at all, I haven't played the game, but I do understand where the support comes from.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
A demo would be amazing though, and if it has limited uses, I would just never turn off my 3ds and or Wii U

Top Bottom