• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Canon Tournament! (Mario Vs. ????) - 06/14/10

Crystanium

Smash Hero
http://www.mariowiki.com/Frozen

It's quite obvious that all means all, but if you want a badge like that Feeling Fine in TTYD protects from status ailments, not just poisoness and dizzyness
"I was on the Internet all day." Actually, not really. That would mean I would have had to have started at 12:00 AM and ended at 12:00 AM. No food to eat, no bathroom breaks, no sleep. "All the people came to meet him." Not every single individual, however.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What about how long Stopwatch will last? How long in seconds SHOULD it last? How about minutes? What's Mario's average running speed? How can he cross a mile and reach Samus before all his stopwatches run out?

What if after his stopwatches run our, she randomly starts shooting Entanglers on the floor from time to time and waiting out your starmen and blockblocks? They'll eventually sun out, then Samus shoots one entangler where Mario will land from his super jumps (or at any time and anywhere near Mario, since they're homing, and if she shoots Mario the particles will make him walk all weird before solidifying and encasing him) and they'll latch onto him and solidify, holding Mario in place for a neat Darkburst.

justaway12

Smash Master
Your not going to find a video of the Stop Watch easily, Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't count, and in Super Paper Mario, the stop watch is an extremly unimportant, the other 2 are from RPGs so it's we can't really know from them, my timing sucks, so I don't think I should be the one to test it, Mario's running speed is inconsistent, so I'm not sure, normally he has things that make him go faster though.
That's why I suggested that Copy shroom to distract her in the last page, other than dealing with running speed and all that.

I think he has 99 stop watches in TTYD, really not sure though, and much less in SPM, is darkburst one of the weapons that can hurt the intangable? Because it seems like a man-made black hole (if I'm thinking of the right weapon) Mario has faced those before, he was able to just walk away.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
What about how long Stopwatch will last? How long in seconds SHOULD it last? How about minutes? What's Mario's average running speed? How can he cross a mile and reach Samus before all his stopwatches run out?
The length of a "turn" as far as this thread goes... That is an issue which is impossible to decide without a lot of bias on either side... The longer a turn is, the more useful things like Stop Watch and Pokemon's Protect are. The shorter, the more useful status conditions like Curse and Poison are...

This is an issue that wasn't even ever decided on the last thread...

EDIT: I'll test the Copy Shroom in a few minutes. Its one of their Bros Attacks, but potentially may work for Mario alone in this thread.

DOUBLE EDIT: I somehow cannot find my copy of M&L:pit.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think he has 99 stop watches in TTYD, really not sure though, and much less in SPM, is darkburst one of the weapons that can hurt the intangable? Because it seems like a man-made black hole (if I'm thinking of the right weapon) Mario has faced those before, he was able to just walk away.
Darkburst isn't supposed to hurt you. It opens a rift into another dimension and drags targets into it. Enemies resistant to Dark beam only get hurt, though. And Mario can't walk away from this one, since he's encased in the Entangler's solidified form... And doesn't he have a bag for carrying items in TTYD? Didn't it have a limit too, like 20 items or something? I'm pretty sure it did... : |

DOUBLE EDIT: I somehow cannot find my copy of M&L:pit.
*puts an eerily familiar copy of M&L:pit in his pocket and starts whistling as if nothing ever happened*

BSP

Smash Legend
copy flower isn't a bros attack, it's a bros. item. He can have 99 of those, or infinite if he uses the Ulti Free Badge. It works for Luigi too.

About Mario's item max...in the M & L games, he has a limit of 99 of everything. But in the paper games, he gets the 20 or so limit...which do we use?

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
copy flower isn't a bros attack, it's a bros. item. He can have 99 of those, or infinite if he uses the Ulti Free Badge. It works for Luigi too.
Same concept. The point I was trying to make is that in game Mario couldn't use the attack by himself (I don't think...)

That badge is amazing though.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
In terms of instant death, how does the Safety Ring work? Does it only work against "OHKO" attacks, or does it work against any attack that would be strong enough to defeat Mario in one hit? And does it completely nullify the attack or just reduce damage?

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I was bringing up Saftey Ring because I think it is an important thing in this matchup...

Technically, I don't see why Mario wouldn't be able to use Copy Shroom by himself, but it wouldn't be as effective, and it seems that he can only use it to attack.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been thinking. The more Last Stands that are used, there is an additional 50% reduction from enemy attack. Let's consider 5 HP.

5 / 2 = 2.5
2.5 / 2 = 1.25
1.25 / 2 = 0.625
0.625 / 2 = 0.3125

And it goes on, depending on how much Last Stand you have. The last one is 10/32. Now, this is great and everything, but games do not seem to work in this manner. Are you honestly going to tell me that more Last Stands will make any attack decreased by that much? In-game, let's say you have 5 HP and you have this much defense. The game is still going to read it as 1 HP taken away, correct? Also, if these are additional defenses, is Samus also allowed the same treatment with her various armors?

justaway12

Smash Master
Technically, I don't see why Mario wouldn't be able to use Copy Shroom by himself, but it wouldn't be as effective, and it seems that he can only use it to attack.
It's okay, he only needs to distract her.

@Dryn: Personally, I don't know, but it would make sense, some people say if you stack your badges, it makes you nearly untouchable and when they do hit it doesn't hurt and that it takes away some of the fun, I can't be bothered to bring up the quote again, but you get the point, I more TTYD knowledgeable person would help be able to help you better though :)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's okay, he only needs to distract her.

@Dryn: Personally, I don't know, but it would make sense, some people say if you stack your badges, it makes you nearly untouchable and when they do hit it doesn't hurt and that it takes away some of the fun, I can't be bothered to bring up the quote again, but you get the point, I more TTYD knowledgeable person would help be able to help you better though :)
I cannot accept hearsay here. I would like to see what happens if one is hit.

BSP

Smash Legend
I would assume yes Dryn, I thought samus has been getting armor protection this whole time. And yeah, the game would round the damage up.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
justaway12, what do you expect the fake Mario would do to Samus? What would this "distraction" do? Samus can probably just run straight through it, or shoot it with an ice beam first and freeze it in place (it's just a Mario copy from M&L, shouldn't have the same equipment as Paper Mario and Mario RPG's Mario, nor from M&L for that matter). : |

justaway12

Smash Master
He makes more then one, right? even if he didn't he could, hide and let her belive it's him and stop time before she gets away, he could copy himself then make himself invicible, or even freeze time, make the clone, hide and wait for her to come back. I wasn't really epecting him have any items TBH =P

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Except that Mario always joins his clones and attacks the foe when using Copy shroom. When one of them falls (when a button is not timed correctly) all the clones disappear.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
He makes more then one, right? even if he didn't he could, hide and let her belive it's him and stop time before she gets away, he could copy himself then make himself invicible, or even freeze time, make the clone, hide and wait for her to come back. I wasn't really epecting him have any items TBH =P
That stunt didn't work in MP3:C when Samus fought Dark Samus.

justaway12

Smash Master
Well, can you try not putting it into this thread? I just want to know the mechanics.

Well, if they don't have any of Mario's items, he can turn invicible and let Samus attack the clone, or just make the clone stand infront of Samus and while she's busy, Mario does something.

@Dryn: What did Dark Samus do?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, can you try not putting it into this thread? I just want to know the mechanics.

@Dryn: What did Dark Samus do?
Dark Samus split into two other parts so that there were three. And one was the true form. This could be discovered by either using the Scan Visor or the X-Ray Visor. The X-Ray Visor is preferable.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I just explained it. I guess I'll fit it into one post to the best of my memory.

Clones of Mario and Luigi and their baby counterparts appear and run towards the enemies and jump on them. You have to press the character's corresponding button when they jump on an opponent. It can last a really long time if you don't fail. Once you fail or the attack ends, all clones immediately disappear.

justaway12

Smash Master
@Dryn: Though, Mario could makes himself seem...not there, I just want to know if Mario uses Boo sheet, if his clone will.

@missing: What I'm saying is, if Mario uses his items, will his clones? Not the attacks.

justaway12

Smash Master
Sorry, I didn't get it, so they have to attack? I see...

Sorry, for all these stupid questions, but what if he clones himself under a status effect?

Unfortunatly, Mario wiki is temporarily unavalible, so I can't pull something out of my *** yet :( All I need is a super fast mode of transportation so far.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
@Dryn: Though, Mario could makes himself seem...not there, I just want to know if Mario uses Boo sheet, if his clone will.

@missing: What I'm saying is, if Mario uses his items, will his clones? Not the attacks.
Samus seems to have everything covered when it comes to opponents disguising or disappearing. I'm not sure if Boo Sheet would make Mario turn invisible.

• Thermal Visor: Allows Samus to pick up heat signatures. Anything or anyone with heat of any kind can be detected.
  • X-Ray Visor: Allows Samus to detect invisible enemies (Omega Pirate, Metroid Prime's Essence), illusions, such as walls that appear to be there, but really are not. Also detects supernatural beings (Chozo Ghosts).
  • Dark Visor: Allows Samus to see enemies or objects that are in other dimensions.
  • Echo Visor: Allows Samus to see sound.

justaway12

Smash Master
Well repel gel does, the point I was if Mario disguises himself while his clone doesn't why would she suspect there is another? Though that prediction has been debunked.

Anyway, I'll come back to this later, Super Mario Wiki broke down :'(

_clinton

Smash Master
How come no one but me has commented on the issue with a certain user in this topic thinking the game creator’s giving an interview about the game they are working on isn’t “true to their games?”

Anyway…

Dryn…about Samus’ suit…I’m aware that it is linked to Samus’ mental strength…and I’ve not talked about this until now…but how is that a good thing if she is fighting psychics that can use telepathy to cause mental harm?

Plus many of the things you talked about in post #8851 I disagree with…but I do agree on some things…for one…yeah the fusion suit before Samus absorbed that SA-X was by far weaker in defense than her old suit…so I agree with that (even though getting clawed still takes the wind out of Samus)

Of course…I could also just point out that canon wise…less than 3 minutes ago…Samus fought an SA-X…she could have been tired after that easily…so I guess that is another possibility…but whatever…I think it is agreed upon anyway by the metroid fan base that the fusion suit did have some issues with defense…

However, there are some things I disagree with…Samus still had the Viria suit and Morph Ball after the Ing robbed her because she was only in the world for a little bit…so if anything…I can just say that she got out of there in time before everything was taken…

In Zero Mission…Samus gets a new suit entirely after the Chozo event from how I see it…remember…her current suit from the start of the game couldn’t handle the space jump, gravity suit, or plasma beam components…they were unknown items…

Oh and I still disagree with Mental Strength being the only thing that can make Samus lose her power suit parts…
because she did lose the phazon suit to Metroid Prime at the end of the 1st game…which helps explain Prime 2 and her losing powers as well IMO

Mario and Luigi's differences change with most games, so nothing is really concrete.
Thank you…I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets this and how it affects characters like Peach as well…god…anyone who thinks Peach can fight needs to play more Mario games IMO (looking at M&L:SSS for example…if Mario and Luigi lose sight of her…she gets kidnapped right away)

Still…you can’t say that some things aren’t fake…Mario has been shown to be stronger than Luigi many times: SMB2, SM64DS, 2 of the M&LRPGs (I haven’t played the 3rd one so I can’t comment on it), and Luigi has been shown to be a far better jumper than Mario a good % of the time w/o question…

The first part is an opinion, and unless you can cpnvince Raizen/everyone else to see otherwise, i think items will remain legal. And if Ness and Lucas get infinite items, everyone else would too (infinite stopwatches and starmen?), and Sonic would get infinite Super Sonic as well, since the ring count is obviously there to make the game harder/interesting...(still guys, how is that a true limit?)
You didn’t get my point…so let me say it again…the reason I’m against items in the 1st place was because of that thing you just brought up there…plus…something like a sudden guts pill with Ness packing his best weapon makes it so he never dies…

Plus…going on…it’s clear that items aren’t really natural skills and are just put in to make the game play easier…

Um, ok...
So…you get my point about dimension flipping then right?

Actually, it's one BP for hammer throw. But if you don't think mario needs to actually equip it to throw the hammer, ok, more BP for something else. But maybe the badges do have some magic behind them? (look at tornado jump, fire drive, quake hammer). That was speculation though. Are you saying that the powers that the badges give mario shouldn't count here?
Ever play Yoshi’s Island DS? It actually explains why some of the Mario characters are important…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldEoeXKAbRs&feature=related
www.mariowiki.com/Star_Children
Mario is able to use “magic” because he is a star child…there are 7 star children…who put together have enough power to influence the universe in whatever way…which isn’t anything compared to what Ness/Lucas are and how they are by themselves able to do it…but whatever…it still shows why Mario is able to do some of the things that he can do…and it’s the same with Peach, Bowser, Luigi…and Wario…I have no idea why DK is a star child…he has never been shown to do anything with magic…but whatever (the 7th child is some random yoshi it seems)

Oh and I like how you felt like correcting me with hammer throw…fun fact…hammer throw is in more than one game (for the N64 it says it is 2 BP to equip…and Mario can only get 30 BPs in that game…did you know that?)

And again…the only thing I’m saying about the badges is that they are “defined” in the game…they do seem like a game mech only in several ways in paper Mario…in Mario and Luigi however...they serve a completely different role...

I think paper mario is just fine too. And shouldn't mario get all of his abilities, since there's only one mario?
And my problem with Mario and there only being one is that there are several games behind him…which don’t do much for defining his skills…

Also…I still want to know why Mario couldn’t break Kirby’s rock/metal form when in M&L:SSS his hammer is told to be able to break through anything…because of the material it is made out of and the work that went into it…

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Unless Samus is willing to, she won't lose her armor. Remember? In MP3, Samus was out cold for who knows how long, yet her armor was always on. In M:F, Samus was out cold due to the X virus infecting her, yet the armor would not come off, so they had to remove it SURGICALLY. That's not even tugging and pulling, they've got to break through it and operate on her actual body to remove those pieces.

Also…I still want to know why Mario couldn’t break Kirby’s rock/metal form when in M&L:SSS his hammer is told to be able to break through anything…because of the material it is made out of and the work that went into it…
http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Metal = doesn't say Kirby is invincible, but he's invulnerable to nearly everything (I dunno what hurts him though, but unless Mario has something that resembles what hurts him, nothing should be able to hurt him).

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Stone = Kirby is clearly invincible, period. It doesn't matter what material he's made of, he's invincible. If material DOES matter, and Mario's hammer can break through anything, shouldn't Mario's hammer break through Ike and kill him immediately? After all, skin IS weaker than stone. /sarcasm >_>

Oh, and Stone Kirby is mobile if you use the N64 version. Nothing hurts him there, either. He's completely invincible to everything, nothing can even budge him (unless it's moving walls or something).

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
How come no one but me has commented on the issue with a certain user in this topic thinking the game creator’s giving an interview about the game they are working on isn’t “true to their games?”
Because we don't feel like it. I personally don't agree with it, but don't see it as causing many problems yet.

Oh and I still disagree with Mental Strength being the only thing that can make Samus lose her power suit parts…
because she did lose the phazon suit to Metroid Prime at the end of the 1st game…which helps explain Prime 2 and her losing powers as well IMO
Yes, she lost the Phazon Suit to the most powerful Phazon entity in the universe. Big surprise... And if she didn't lose her equipment for no canon reason between games, I'm confident she could have dealt with the Ings without losing equipment.

You didn’t get my point…so let me say it again…the reason I’m against items in the 1st place was because of that thing you just brought up there…plus…something like a sudden guts pill with Ness packing his best weapon makes it so he never dies…

Plus…going on…it’s clear that items aren’t really natural skills and are just put in to make the game play easier…
Items are part of the game, and can be taken to the battlefield by characters without problems. They are allowed /discussion

And again…the only thing I’m saying about the badges is that they are “defined” in the game…they do seem like a game mech only in several ways in paper Mario…in Mario and Luigi however...they serve a completely different role...
See above response...

Because unlike you, we don't take real life over canon. Metal Kirby is specifically stated to be unable to be hurt. Mario's hammer would have to be an unstoppable force in order to hurt Metal Kirby.
~~~
I only respond to the stuff I feel like responding to/have arguments for...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well repel gel does, the point I was if Mario disguises himself while his clone doesn't why would she suspect there is another? Though that prediction has been debunked.

Anyway, I'll come back to this later, Super Mario Wiki broke down :'(
If Samus goes into the fight and immediately changes her visor to X-Ray, that's it for Mario's ways of hiding himself and have clones do his work for him.

Plus, he can't make his clones do something, then he himself do something else whenever he desires. The game makes Mario attack with them at the same time, so as soon as Mario uses the Copy flower/shroom/whatever it is, he has to attack as well... Which will be very bad for him if he does.

All I'm saying is that
Samus wins

justaway12

Smash Master
I'm not saying he attack, but you know.....does nothing, or walks behind her, if Samus enters and sees them in plain sight, why would she think to put on her visor?

I have a question, since you've played PiT, do you know what would happen he clones himself under a status effect, does the status effect remain or is it passed on to the clones or something else?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Dryn…about Samus’ suit…I’m aware that it is linked to Samus’ mental strength…and I’ve not talked about this until now…but how is that a good thing if she is fighting psychics that can use telepathy to cause mental harm?
I think this mental connection with the Power Suit is cyberpathic. For example, in Metroid Prime, when Samus switched from one beam to another, she simply changed the way her hand was. I could be wrong, of course. Also, if Samus is using considerable concentration to keep the Power Suit on, wouldn't that at least tell us that Samus may be able to put up with telepathy? Psychics and magic arts are not foreign in the Metroid series. Samus did defeat Gorea, after all.

Plus many of the things you talked about in post #8851 I disagree with…but I do agree on some things…for one…yeah the fusion suit before Samus absorbed that SA-X was by far weaker in defense than her old suit…so I agree with that (even though getting clawed still takes the wind out of Samus)
If you disagree with the Bag of Spilling trope, you'd have to convince everyone that this is not what occurs in each Metroid game. Again, Metroid 2: Return of Samus has Samus leaving planet SR388, and she has all her upgrades. She heads to Ceres Station after taking the Metroid larva, and in the cut-scene, she's wearing her Power Suit instead of her Varia Suit. This is an irrefutable example.

Of course…I could also just point out that canon wise…less than 3 minutes ago…Samus fought an SA-X…she could have been tired after that easily…so I guess that is another possibility…
I never thought of it that way. That's quite interesting.

However, there are some things I disagree with…Samus still had the Viria suit and Morph Ball after the Ing robbed her because she was only in the world for a little bit…so if anything…I can just say that she got out of there in time before everything was taken…
Samus loses her Missiles. Why is there no Missile Guardian like there are other guardians? I don't buy it.

In Zero Mission…Samus gets a new suit entirely after the Chozo event from how I see it…remember…her current suit from the start of the game couldn’t handle the space jump, gravity suit, or plasma beam components…they were unknown items…
Yoshio Sakamoto replies...

Q: In MZM there are abilities/items that Samus gets which read as analytical failures. What are these abilities and when can we use them?

A: The starting suit of Samus cannot awaken these abilities. Once the Power Suit of legend is obtained you learn and use these abilities.

The Phazon Suit isn't really a suit in and of itself like the Varia and Gravity Suit. The latter are upgrades. The former is simply pure Phazon overloading and corrupting the Power Suit. The Phazon was simply assimilated, which gave Metroid Prime's Essence a shell that represented Samus Aran. Of course, Dark Samus did possess Samus' DNA. Besides, the Power Suit was still on.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
@ justaway12: I'm pretty sure that if you have a status effect, the clones won't have it. But they're created so that you may attack the opponent in conjunction, and disappear as soon as you finish the attack, so I don't think you can use them for anything else but attacking, which is true to his game.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
@ justaway12: I'm pretty sure that if you have a status effect, the clones won't have it. But they're created so that you may attack the opponent in conjunction, and disappear as soon as you finish the attack, so I don't think you can use them for anything else but attacking, which is true to his game.
Technically the clones probably would since stat boosts/drops will apply to Mario and his clones, but as you pointed out, it doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom