• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Canon Tournament! (Mario Vs. ????) - 06/14/10

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Do characters get absolutely everything from their games? Because if so, Mario gets Starman that knocks out whatever he touches.

Overall, just apply the 1st question to everybody is what I am saying, characters have lots of stuff to pull out, just saying.
Yes, characters COULD get absolutely anything from their games. But only if there's a valid way of getting it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I haven't played many Metroid games, so I was just wondering.
It's mostly due to how Samus compounds all of her powers, never really replacing any old ones, but making the sum of her abilities even higher. Each new beam usually just ends up becoming part of a bigger beam unless it specifically conflicts with another beam on the stack. So now any new conditions (Like freezing for ice, hitting multiple enemies with plasma, etc.) are added on plus a damage multiplier for each one.

So her beam is super strong. Then take into consideration that she can collect about 12 of those energy tanks in Super Metroid. That's 1200 life + the base 99. If the OP allows it, it wouldn't be hard to say that she can have all of the energy tanks from every game because it was never explained why in between games that she lost everything. So, technically, she has access to ever upgrade on every planet because hers is one big flowing universe unlike the Zelda or Mario universes (for example) that aren't as continuous and a bit more problimatic to carry stuff over from.

Lastly, the Power Suit is able to handle so many different kinds of situations. The Varia suit stops her from being hurt from extreme temperatures, frozen, and acid. The Gravity suit allows her to move freely in water and not be hurt by lava (Super Metroid, not Prime). The Phazon suit stops radioactive damage. The Light suit stops dark-based damage. And I'm sure I'm missing more. And, much like with the weapons, for each suit she had on there was a bonus to damage reduction. And, since nearly every game doesn't explain why she loses the suits between games, it would be logical to say she has access to all of them.

Not to mention all of the badass things she has like the grapple beam, speed booster, space jump, screw attack, etc. The visors are also pretty nifty for certain situations...

So, yeah, Samus is kinda broken. The only thing that I've seen that can stop her is Ganon, because he has hacks. Seriously, nothing can hurt him aside from weapons in Link's universe. So, until Samus can parallel dimension hop, then she can't beat Ganon as well as any other non-Zelda character.

---------------------------

For my last note, Samus should be over Sonic. Sonic really doesn't have a projectile move, and Samus does. If she hits him and he has no rings, she wins. If he goes Super Sonic, she can just continuously screw attack using the space jump OR speed boost until he runs out. Then, it's just a simple matter of hitting him 1 time with anything she has... and she has a lot.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Yeah, but Ganon can get stuck in a sword for hundreds of years, or become stone (WW).
Either way, neither Bowser nor Ganon ever die in their games, ever (seeing as there are a lot of Mario games, I have not played them all, but since Bowser always comes back and is never called anything more than "defeated"). You would also have to consider wether not a character is considered "dead" at the game over screen.
Ganon won't simply stand there waiting for you to press A you know.

Ganon has type 4 immortality (Protection by Godhood).

Bowser doesn't get killed because it's like One Piece or any other silly universe : It's because no one tries to kill anyone, not because everyone is invincible. Mario isn't supposed to kill Bowser, he's a hero. Link isn't supposed to kill Ganon because Ganon cannot be killed.

Jesus people that's like the third post I had to do to explain this.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Yes, characters COULD get absolutely anything from their games. But only if there's a valid way of getting it.
Just to be sure, by that you mean (as an example) for Mario to get Starman, he would have to hit it out of a block like in his games, right?

Ganon won't simply stand there waiting for you to press A you know.

Ganon has type 4 immortality (Protection by Godhood).

Bowser doesn't get killed because it's like One Piece or any other silly universe : It's because no one tries to kill anyone, not because everyone is invincible.
He falls in lava in SMB, wether or not that is trying to kill him, it shows he is at least hard to kill.
Nobody tries to kill Ganon, they trap him in the sword (which sword does vary by game). And in Zelda, I've never seen "You died, Game over". So it is like Link just getting KO'd or something. However in some games like Metroid, she actually is trying to kill things and game over is also specified as life support system going offline, not merely "defeat" (Taking this from Metroid Prime).

Corigames

Smash Hero
Why is Ganon so high if Link beats him <_<
If you were completely invincible to everyone in the cast but 1 person, I bet you would be pretty high on the tier list yourself. On top of that, Link sucks. It wouldn't be hard to imagine Ganon beating Link on top of his already brokeness of his other match-ups.

So... yeah.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
If you were completely invincible to everyone in the cast but 1 person, I bet you would be pretty high on the tier list yourself. On top of that, Link sucks. It wouldn't be hard to imagine Ganon beating Link on top of his already brokeness of his other match-ups.

So... yeah.
Link doesn't suck, he gots loads of weapons, and in most of his games he has stuff to heal damage to him done by Ganon. The Master Sword is all that Link needs to defeat Ganon (or whatever sword Link uses in the game, he gets many througout the series that can still trap Ganon). Zelda also loosely defeats Ganon in Four Swords for GC, wether that would affect if she wins or not is arguable.
I think TL should be higher, if you've played WW, you would know that TL has control over day and night, can make cyclones, and can use a Wind Waker Spell to control things (I forgot what it is called), so I think TL should get a higher place.
Edit: There are technically 3 Links on the roster with the Master Sword, OoT adult Link, TP Link, and TL

Corigames

Smash Hero
Link doesn't suck, he gots loads of weapons, and in most of his games he has stuff to heal damage to him done by Ganon.
And I don't think this time Ganon is going to let link guzzel bottles or play music while just standing there...

The Master Sword is all that Link needs to defeat Ganon (or whatever sword Link uses in the game, he gets many througout the series that can still trap Ganon).
He also had to use things like the silver arrows or light arrows, there's the hammer, and I'm sure plenty of other things. HE needs more than just the sword...

Edit: There are technically 3 Links on the roster with the Master Sword, OoT adult Link, TP Link, and TL
And thusly, you have just named the Link conundrum. Do you make them 1 person, or do you make them separate.

kr3wman

Smash Master
He falls in lava in SMB, wether or not that is trying to kill him, it shows he is at least hard to kill. Of course, never said that Bowser was a pushover.

Nobody tries to kill Ganon Because they know they can't., they trap him in the sword (which sword does vary by game).

And in Zelda, I've never seen "You died, Game over". So it is like Link just getting KO'd or something. So when you were playing the games you were like 'Ish, I've just been KO'ed by the King of Evil, I'm sure he will let me go to an infirmary and get patched up so that we can fight again tomorrow.'

However in some games like Metroid, she actually is trying to kill things and game over is also specified as life support system going offline, not merely "defeat" (Taking this from Metroid Prime). Ah! This is more ambiguous than you may think. You see, the life support system is part of the PowerSuit. Samus is able to survive without her Power Suit in many situations. However, the game doesn't let you go back to your ship to repair it, and in more situations than not, things will be trying to kill you. For example, if she's in acid on Zebes, than she may die. Being attacked by Metroid or Space Pirates? She may die. But that would mean defeating the purpose of the game. Why have the PowerSuit if Samus can survive without it? Why play Metroid?
Responses in Bold.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say you said Bowser was a pushover, he is just ranked rather low.

Yeah, the Link conundrum is weird, but since there are 3 Links (YL is still Oot Link) they should all be seperate characters.

Actually, in Zelda games, Ganon does nothing while you drink a potion or have a fairy heal you, he doesn't take it nor hit you to stop you, so IDK what you mean.

IDK, you could debate that since Link can be attacked to by Cuccoos in OoT or pigs in WW until he falls over, that also means he is dead, but if Ganon is having trouble killing a kid that got killed by an angry pig, then he kinda fails.

The only Metroid game I played was Prime, so I don't know too much about what Samus gots for weapons or anything, but in Prime when she dies the sounds I here are a scream and a beeping similar to a heart monitor showing that the person is dead while I also see "Life Support Systems Offline, Game Over". Just seems her "Game Over" screen gives more of a "you died" message. But I don't play lots of Metroid, so not going to discuss more aobut that series.

Edit: Link usually does have more than just the sword to defeat Ganon, in WW he has light arrows in FS he has Zelda make an energy ball and uses an arrow, ect.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
♥@Shadow18: This Link is only the TP link ♥

♥@Shink: No U :mad: ♥
Yeah, but this is not only counting Brawl, but also Melee, which was OoT Link. If you are not going to count him then don't count YL, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, or Mewtwo.

Roager

Smash Ace
Mario should be a little higher. If he can pick Bowser up and THROW him, he could probably do so with other things, like large rocks, or trees.

That's something you don't wanna mess with.

MetaKnight also deserves to be a bit higher. He's got some crazy extra-dimensional tricks, and that alone puts him above the Fire Emblem guys at least.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Being able to travel through dimensions < Being able to hurt people

It doesn't matter if you are the fastest or most nimble if when it comes down to hitting people and they do it better. The perfect defense is destroyed by having no offense...

Lovely

Smash Lord
Being able to travel through dimensions < Being able to hurt people

It doesn't matter if you are the fastest or most nimble if when it comes down to hitting people and they do it better. The perfect defense is destroyed by having no offense...
♣ In Kirby Super Star Ultra Meta Knight was very strong when you play as him. I wouldn't put him in a low tier but at least C or B, E tier for him is a no no. And his Tornado is more broken in the Kirby games than it was on Brawl. O_o ♥

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Marth can slay dragons in one slice with the Falchion.

SSStier
This. Marth atleast should be in S Tier because of how awesome he is. And I also think that both Mario and MK should be higher, though I resent "above the Fire Emblem guys atleast." :laugh:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Day 7: Mewtwo Vs. Ness

Ness wins!

Mewtwo is a hugely powerful Pokemon, but Ness is superior. Again, Zolga's word is flawed as Shadow Ball is not a move that needs to be charged prior to use, but Ness's PSI attacks are overwhelmingly powerful. Ness has an item that severly reduces damage he takes from certain elemental attacks (I know there's three, but I'm sick right now and can't quite remember them other than Freezing attacks). PSI Rockin Omega is a move with massive damage that hits everyone in the area. PSI Flash causes enemies suffer from uncontrolable crying (lowering their accuracy), numbness (effectively Paralyzing them (in Earthbound, Paralyzation leaves the target entirely unable to use phsycial attacks)), feeling strange (similar to the Confusion status effect) or they are instantly defeated. Ness's PSI Healing can cure a cold, sunstroke, sleep, poisonings, nausea, feeling strange, uncontrollable crying, and paralysis. Lifeup entirely restores Ness's health. Paralysis paralyzes an enemy. Shield reduces all damage by 50%. Ness's Teleport is also useful, as it causes him to run extremely fast (as seen in Melee's opening, and Ness's enterance animation in Brawl).
So long as this remains only for their games, Ness will not lose.
Now I know I completely missed this, but really, wtf were these people thinking. Mewtwo can crush people with his Psychic powers. He's a Psychic Pokemon. He can grab a rock, and drop it over his body. Ness is not stronger at Psychic powers than Mewtwo, being that Mewtwo's whole strongest Pokemon alive is canon (iirc). I read that over twice, and I still don't get how Mewtwo couldn't just stop anything that Ness could have.

Just my really really late 2cents.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Now I know I completely missed this, but really, wtf were these people thinking. Mewtwo can crush people with his Psychic powers. He's a Psychic Pokemon. He can grab a rock, and drop it over his body. Ness is not stronger at Psychic powers than Mewtwo, being that Mewtwo's whole strongest Pokemon alive is canon (iirc). I read that over twice, and I still don't get how Mewtwo couldn't just stop anything that Ness could have.

Just my really really late 2cents.
I don't think anyone ever told you, but Ness is just like Mewtwo.

Only better.

cutter

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to agree that Samus needs to be above Sonic.

Anyone who's played Metroid games knows that by the time you get to the end of the game, Samus becomes a walking tank of destruction. Especially when you can Screw Attack forever with the Space Jump.

Pretty sure beams have been covered. The ability to stack power/charge/ice/wave/plasma/wide beams together increases the overall damage of the entire beam plus give all the individual beams their combined powers. This isn't even getting into Metroid Primes 2 and 3.

Her health is also absolutely massive. She has 14-20 E-tanks (14 in Super Metroid and 20 in Fusion) as well as 4 reserve tanks. Not only do the Varia and Gravity Suits give Samus protection from extreme temperatures, acid, lava, and unhindered water movement, but they also greatly enhance her damage resistance.

Xort

Smash Rookie
Seriously. Wavebuster would kick Sonic's ***. High powered stream of auto-targeting epectricity vs. what? A fast hedgehog? Psh. Goodbye Sonic.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
Heck, Samus may not be able to kill Ganondorf but I bet she could sure as heck restrain him. Charge Ice Beam, Fire Missle, GG. I mean that thing even froze the Metroid Prime, the freakin boss of that game >.>.

(there is nothing I'm biasly omitting from that post >.>)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Kirby should probably be above even ganon on this list, because he can suck up anyone and swallow them to gain their powers, along with killing them by sucking them in.

Ness has an attack that kills anybody (although it rarely happens), and if he can use all the people that travel with him to help out also (poo transforms into an enemy, Jeff has tons of rockets to fire at enemies, Paula has teh pwn psi abilities and can kill giygas just by praying), then he is even higher than anyone else..... OH I FORGOT THE BEST PART!!! Ness can constanly heal himself before he dies as long as you are fast enough with your fingers, because the hp counter has to wind all the way down before he dies.

Ganon never dies....... Except with light/silver arrows, but if another person can't die as well, nobody wins and they are locked in an endless battle.

Sonic... If he's super sonic, he needs to keep collecting rings as he fights or else he transforms back into normal sonic... And does speed really mean much of anything if your opponent can't die... Okay maybe he should be really high up bacause he can stop time.... These top few seem to all be nearly unbeatable.

Samus... Can die... But it's really difficult to do so. And she has lots of different weapons to quickly dispatch many different enemies, some of which are huge and have tons of health.

Lucas =< ness, because they basically have all the same stuff, except lucas has a stick.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Kirby should probably be above even ganon on this list, because he can suck up anyone and swallow them to gain their powers, along with killing them by sucking them in. Everyone could one hit before he can do anything.

Ness has an attack that kills anybody (although it rarely happens), and if he can use all the people that travel with him to help out also (poo transforms into an enemy, Jeff has tons of rockets to fire at enemies, Paula has teh pwn psi abilities and can kill giygas just by praying), then he is even higher than anyone else..... OH I FORGOT THE BEST PART!!! Ness can constanly heal himself before he dies as long as you are fast enough with your fingers, because the hp counter has to wind all the way down before he dies. 1v1 Bloodlusted without game mechanics

Ganon never dies....... Except with light/silver arrows, but if another person can't die as well, nobody wins and they are locked in an endless battle Ganon can't die. GODDAMMIT PEOPLE, ITS NOT THAT HARD.

Sonic... If he's super sonic, he needs to keep collecting rings as he fights or else he transforms back into normal sonic... And does speed really mean much of anything if your opponent can't die... Okay maybe he should be really high up bacause he can stop time.... These top few seem to all be nearly unbeatable. No comment there.

Samus... Can die... But it's really difficult to do so. And she has lots of different weapons to quickly dispatch many different enemies, some of which are huge and have tons of health. Yeah.

Lucas =< ness, because they basically have all the same stuff, except lucas has a stick. You played Mother 3? When?
Responses in bold.

Yup... yup.

PT in his game has access to all the Pokemon no? Or the first&third Generation or something.

Top Bottom