• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Canon Tournament! (Mario Vs. ????) - 06/14/10

Samochan

Smash Master
Pokedex is seperate from the story.

Also, there is no Pokemon world because my Dusclops just absorbed it.
Storyline =/= pokedex, but pokedex = story.

Pokemon doesn't rely on pokedex on storyline but basically expands it and supports it. It's part of it, just like Samus item descriptions and log books are part of Prime storyline but separate from the uh, happenings in the game (like cut-scenes).

Dusclops couldn't live in nothingness. =)

REL38, gaaammmeee mechaniiiccssss yauhz.

Missignomaster, nope.
"A Tyranitar is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest."
"In just one of its mighty hands, it has the power to make the ground shake and mountains crumble. "

And things, it never says Tyranitar can level a mountain with one hand in ONE PUNCH. But it's saying Tyranitar can level/bring down a mountain by using one hand. And it never says how much time it takes to bring down a mountain to make it's nest or just how big are the mountains Tyranitar demolishes.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
You said Satoshi, and that's the Japanese name of Ash or something. Sorry.

Protect blocks Machamp's "unblockable" punches.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter if it would kill Dusclops. It can absorb the entire world since it was said that there's no limit.

I'm out of ideas right now though. Powerbomb can continue this.

Samochan

Smash Master
Doesn't matter if it would kill Dusclops. It can absorb the entire world since it was said that there's no limit.

I'm out of ideas right now though. Powerbomb can continue this.
Correction: It's said it can absorb ANYTHING, but not EVERYTHING, least on that entry. =) Besides, nothing tells about this black hole range.

"It is said that its body is like a black hole. This Pokémon will absorb anything into its body, but nothing will ever come back out. "

Besides, wouldn't dusclops then absorb himself if he were to absorb everything? <_>

"Its body is entirely hollow. When it opens its mouth, it sucks everything in as if it were a black hole. " A plausible retcon, in any case. Everything is not very definite however, as if Dusclops were indeed to absorb everything, that would mean Dusclops itself as well. On the pokedex entries, this everything and anything refers to movable objects.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Eh, look at these Pokedex enteries.

Raichu's FireRed Dex entry: "Its Electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian Elephant to faint."

Gastly's FireRed Dex entry: "A being that exists as a thin gas. It can topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds."

Venonat Silver Pkdex entry: Poison oozes from all over its body. It catches and eats small bugs at night that are attracted by light.

Do animals exist in the Pokemon world?

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Anything = Everything

What's really the difference? Everything is like... more anythings...

EDIT: LOL ELEPHANTS

100,000 Volts is enough to fry stuff.

EDIT2: Shoot, I confused myself with the everything and anything part.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I change my mind on the Pokedex now.

Pokedex = source of misinformation and collected folklore and other heresy.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that I'll keep my soul even if I look into the crack in Shedinja's back.

And the Pokedex can't decide whether a singular Entei was born from a singular volcano, or multiple Entei from multiple volcanoes, or if Entei creates volcanoes when it barks. None of which, by the way, mesh with the whole "Ho-oh's flames killed three beasts, which were reborn as Entei, Suicune, and Raikou"

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Raikou's Roar is supposed to send shock waves through the air and ground. How come his Roar doesn't cause damage like EQ?

EDIT: Why the hell isn't there two Entei?

Cinnabar Volcano and Mt. Ember...

Samochan

Smash Master
Eh, look at these Pokedex enteries.

Raichu's FireRed Dex entry: "Its Electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian Elephant to faint."

Gastly's FireRed Dex entry: "A being that exists as a thin gas. It can topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds."

Venonat Silver Pkdex entry: Poison oozes from all over its body. It catches and eats small bugs at night that are attracted by light.

Do animals exist in the Pokemon world?
They do exist in our world, but it's there for players benefit really, to make comparison to the real world.

But I'd imagine there are normal animals on the pokemon world too. Pokemon eat bugs and other pokes too and humans sometimes eat pokemon apparently but uh...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Food

Ray, pokedex usually mentions when something is a possible rumour and things like that cannot be proven, but not really disproven either. Shedinja's entry specifically says "It is believed".

Human's weren't able to witness this Ho-Oh reincarnation thing. :/

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Something else, one Pokedex entry says something about humans evolving from 'primape' (that ape type Pokemon).

But, if humans evolved from Primapes, and Primapes are Pokemon, doesn't that make humans Pokemon?

The Pokemon storyline is ridiculous, so any conjecture of its meaning is as absurd as Pokemon.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Correction: It's said it can absorb ANYTHING, but not EVERYTHING, least on that entry. =) Besides, nothing tells about this black hole range.

"It is said that its body is like a black hole. This Pokémon will absorb anything into its body, but nothing will ever come back out. "

Besides, wouldn't dusclops then absorb himself if he were to absorb everything? <_>

"Its body is entirely hollow. When it opens its mouth, it sucks everything in as if it were a black hole. " A plausible retcon, in any case. Everything is not very definite however, as if Dusclops were indeed to absorb everything, that would mean Dusclops itself as well. On the pokedex entries, this everything and anything refers to movable objects.
It would be a retcon if the entries contradicted each other. But they don't, so they just compliment each other. The pokemon world is an object of definite size, it can therefore be absorbed by Dusclops.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
What? Comparisons? How would the Dex know what an African Elephant is?

If African Elephants existed, they'd be shown. Otherwise, how would the Dex know what they are?

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
Something else, one Pokedex entry says something about humans evolving from 'primape' (that ape type Pokemon).

But, if humans evolved from Primapes, and Primapes are Pokemon, doesn't that make humans Pokemon?

The Pokemon storyline is ridiculous, so any conjecture of its meaning is as absurd as Pokemon.

The fallacy lies in thinking that Pokemon are something other than the natural animals of the Pokemon world, though not necessarily the only animals of the Pokemon world. If we view Pokemon as simply animals which have evolved wierd and unusual defense mechanisms, then it's no different from saying that humans evolved from ordinary apes.

Samochan

Smash Master

I'm not reading anything of the such in primeape's dex entry. <_>

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_World

Indian elephants do not naturally exist in Japan, where pokemon games take place.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_world
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/8/89/Locations.PNG/175px-Locations.PNG

Powerbomb, again game mechanic limitations, same as when Gyara only cannot ohko everything with hyper beam. :/ I wouldn't wanna play a broken game like that lol.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
But, Samochan, what do the Pokedex entries actually mean in your view?

You believe all of it to be true? o_0

Seems like non-canon to me..

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I don't know how to respond to that. Spamming 'game mechanic' over and over again has made my thoughts vanish.

Dex contradicts itself. Not to mention that some things in the Dex contradict the game itself. Why isn't there more than one Entei if more than one volcano exists in the Pokemon World?

I'm gone.

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
As much as I hate to say this, Pokedex does contradict itself, thus it's not canon.

Samochan

Smash Master
But, Samochan, what do the Pokedex entries actually mean in your view?

You believe all of it to be true? o_0

Seems like non-canon to me..
A very extensive library to the pokemon in pokemon world.

But as proven, many of the pokedex entires are true in the pokemon world. Such as Arceus, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mewtwo... all those have been shown or told in the gameplay.

And lol there has been multiple enteis on the games thus far, but only 1 is obtainable per game without trading. >_> Or did you forget LeafGreen and FireRed?

Enteis are said to be born when a New Volcano appears. Just how often New volcanos appear? The playable region solely consists of Japan, so it couldn't really know how many enteis roam around the pokemon world.

And pokedex contradictions usually only happen when generations are compared to each other in very literal sense, but retcons are possible and usually plausible.

And ditto that UncleSam, Samus grapple beam example is one of those happenings where the games contradict themselves, yet are canon.

--

Btw, I really love this official artwork by ken Sugimori for pokemon HGSS of Arceus event. <3

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Arceus_ruins_art.png

UncleSam

Smash Master

Samochan

Smash Master
They do, but not as much as Pokedex(s).
Doesn't real life literacy also contradict itself? Especially when you take many sources and then start comparing.

But still much what you can find in literature is factual information. (liek written information)

In comparison, pokedex has both proved facts, believed rumours and mythology that's not proven nor disproven. But contradictions (usually small too) don't make it less factual information.

UncleSam

Smash Master
one of PT's pokemon could just use Twave or glare to stop Mario.
one of his pokes could use odor sleuth for invisibility.
IDK

justaway12

Smash Master
REALLY!? We are going to allow a pokedex that says a a Pokemon can eat anything! That Charizards fire can melt anything, yet we were talking about a pokemon earliear that's rock was unmeltable or some **** like that!? What about Areceus, he was the god of Pokemon, gods are noramally described as OMNIPOTENT! It may have got somethings right, but it's got sooooo many more things wrong!

There is something wrong with this thread >_>

Raizen, weren't you supposed to add REALISM so we don't fall victim to no-limit fallacy =/
This is soo uncanon it's not even funny =/

@Raizen: Answer my rebuttal! Mario summons the star spirits just like Meta-knight, I thought in-game abilities were lgit =/

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Or if the Pokedex is allowed, Lugia's Whirlwind would put Mario a safe distance from Red, allowing him time to set up a strategy.

This needs to be settled.

UncleSam

Smash Master
embargo also prevents held items for 5 turns
I think we've established that.
@just - we just said it was canon, disallowing it from this thread, is the OP's choice.

justaway12

Smash Master
As I said, I don't think it is, it's completely stupid to think it is =/
It makes no sense =/

Mario goes off screen for Ultra Jump
And just because a pokemon is invisible doens't mean it stops Mario (this was to your last post).

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
If Lugia used Protect, and Red was right next to Lugia, the shield made by Protect would be large enough to keep Red safe for a turn's worth of time.

justaway12

Smash Master
Mario's ultra jump doesn't go on one person, it goes to everyone, it is completely random

For example, first it goes to Luigia, then Red, then Pokemon no2, then back to Pokemon no2, then Red again etc.

And since when was it a shield?

UncleSam

Smash Master
Mario goes off screen for Ultra Jump
so does fly, and that makes thunders accuracy 100%
And just because a pokemon is invisible doens't mean it stops Mario (this was to your last post).
embargo, and if mario does something silly (ultrajump) encore repeats that, and thunder just adds insult to injury.

Top Bottom