• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

Groose

Smash Champion
So I just got finished judging everyone. I'm the third judge to submit scores... so, just one to go. Interesting to note: I gave two perfect scores this time around (can't say to who ;)), but neither person is doing very well overall. I'm quite a bit apart from the other judges in this one.

I also apologize... my reviews are a bit on the short side. I had a computer crash and everything was deleted... so I rated the majority of you from scratch all over again!

Wow, if Nintendo didn't shun anything related to the CD-i and burn them in rituals alongside a giant wooden King Harkinian, I'd actually... include that.
I'm all for creativity... but I think that may be going too far.

Anywho, this should tide you over until the results are annouced: Warning: This Link is Not Suitable for the Faint Hearted.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
So I just got finished judging everyone. I'm the third judge to submit scores... so, just one to go. Interesting to note: I gave two perfect scores this time around (can't say to who ;)), but neither person is doing very well overall. I'm quite a bit apart from the other judges in this one.

What do you mean? You mean they got 10/10 in one category each, but did crappy for the others?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I think Groose is saying that he gave two people 40 points this round (aka they were perfect), but the other judges opinions greatly differ, so they aren't doing too hot overall.

Groose

Smash Champion
I think Groose is saying that he gave two people 40 points this round (aka they were perfect), but the other judges opinions greatly differ, so they aren't doing too hot overall.
Exactly.

I also gave out one 39... and that person appears to be the other judge's undisputed favorite. I'd be surprised if he didn't win when the last vote comes in.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Groose. You might want to stop before you spill the beans. Next you're gonna tell them what the next stage will be.

Swamp should have his scores up today. I'm guessing the next round will be up either later today or tomorrow.

Groose

Smash Champion
Groose. You might want to stop before you spill the beans. Next you're gonna tell them what the next stage will be. Swamp should have his scores up today. I'm guessing the next round will be up either later today or tomorrow.
Don't worry, Tumblr. I know what I'm doing. I haven't revealed anything of substance. Yet...

I'm getting impatient....
Relax. It takes a good amount of time to judge these things fairly. Took me about two hours this round. Imagine how bad it must be for judges who have busy schedules...

Anyway, they'll be out in due time.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Don't worry, Tumblr. I know what I'm doing. I haven't revealed anything of substance. Yet...

Relax. It takes a good amount of time to judge these things fairly. Took me about two hours this round. Imagine how bad it must be for judges who have busy schedules...

Anyway, they'll be out in due time.
Yet.

But yeah, it took me an hour or two. Luckily I knew most of the songs. Some stages will be difficult, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That took forever!

Sorry about my grades not being as detailed as they should be. I had to finish them quickly.

[collapse="Swampasaur's Grades"]
Brawler610
Importance: 8
Popularity: 8
Variety: 8
Fit: 8
Total: 32
Notes: Some interesting past tracks... The Mario World remix certainly fits. As does Rainbow Cruise. I feel Peach's Castle is a tad too slow for a scrolling stage like this. You might have too many past tracks on here though....The rest of your themes seem to fit well. Beach theme is an interesting choice. Not sure about its popularity but it seems to be liked well enough. Overall, a a very good job.

Shinpichu
Importance: 9
Variety: 6
Total: 31
Notes: Hm... Pretty short list. You got two 3D Land tracks, two NSMB2 tracks and a 64 track. Your variety could be a tad better. Regardless, the tracks chosen are very popular and important tracks. You made some really good choices. I just wish there were more... Just have a tad more next time!

Fastblade5035
Popularity: 9
Variety: 10
Fit: 9
Total: 37
Notes: Interesting choices... I don't feel that Wario Land works well here. It's also from the virtual boy... so it's not well known or very popular. Aside from that, your list is almost perfect in my eyes. Nice variety. Nice popularity. Nice importance. Amazing list really.

APC99
Total: 36
Notes: Hm.... You have some really good picks and some... odd ones. World 4 in particular is somewhat odd. I listened to it. I don't think it fits smash very well. You have some great tracks from the RPGs and platforms though. Overall, a good job!

Ascended
Variety: 9
Notes: Blue skies is a really cool and fitting choice. All of your picks are cool and fitting really. I do think that World Map could have been different though. I don't think that particular rendition of the Mario theme works well for smash. Overall, a very nice list though.

BridgesWithTurtles
Importance: 10
Fit: 10
Notes: So many overworlds! It's a fitting theme. The medley is quite good as well. The Super Princess Peach track is interesting. It fits but... it seems kinda unknown... Regardless you chose several important and popular tracks. Great job!

Croco
Total: 34
Notes: Some real interesting themes here. The 3D World music is an odd choice. It fits... And it doesn't... It's a console game but it's so tied to the game the stage is based on, it kinda makes sense to have. Regardless, I don't think we'll see anything from 3D World in SSB4. Pi'illo Castle seems to fit. Overall, lots of good choices.

Ariand/AEM
Total: 35
Notes: Hm... Ground Theme from Brawl huh? Interesting. The Ending theme from Mario Land is kinda slow... Don't ya think? I think a better rendition of that theme would be the overworld theme. It's just more upbeat and fitting in my opinion. Overworld (Versus) is an interesting track. It fits, but its not very important or popular. Good list though.

ViolenceMan
Importance: 7
Total: 33
Notes: Hoohoo village is an interesting choice. It works. Decathlon... Not so much... It's just too obscure with no cult following that I know of. Giddy Sky is pretty unique and works well. Overall, an interesting list with some risks taken. I like it.

God Robert's Cosuin
Popularity: 10
Total: 38
Notes: Um... Wow. This list is great. Only two small gripes. One is the NSMBW music might be better suited to a WII U stage, and the other is that Dr. Mario (Melee) might fit another stage much better. I mean, if you wanted a Melee track, Rainbow Cruise might have been better. Regardless, amazing list.

Falkoopa
Fit: 7
Notes: I'll be counting the live version as the original theme, like I do for all remixes. Overall, good choices. Delfino Plaza is kinda iffy here though. I feel it would work better on a WII U stage. Still fine job though.

T-J Works
Notes: Fury Volcano? Interesting, though I suppose it fits. Star Maze is a bit of a unique choice. Not sure what to think of it. Other than that, you picked several other good tracks. Good job! You do have 9 songs though. Only allowed 8 at most. I won't dock points this time though.

Jumpman84
Popularity: 7
Fit: 6
Notes: Drawing song.... Huh. Did not expect that. At all. I understand what you're trying to do but... I don't think that will work for the stage. The entire medley is kinda....odd. Aside from that, no real problems.

legendofrob1
Variety: 7
Notes: Lots of 3D Land stuff. A tad too much for this list, I feel. That might hurt your variety. Got some great RPG tracks though. I'm surprised you're the only one the the Superstar Saga Battle Theme. It's a great and popular theme! Good work!

Kikwi-Kiwi
Notes: While I feel Yoshi's Island music should go on a Yoshi's Island stage, it seems to fit here as well. Amazing list really.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Groose's Grades"]
Bralwer610
Overall: 32
Notes: I feel as if your list caters a bit too much towards the tracks that have already been in Brawl and the tracks that are on console Mario. It would have been nice to see some old Mario Land music. Still, your selection is pretty popular and important, especially with regards to “New” Mario.

Shinpichu (you from Nintendolife?)
Overall: 33
Notes: Short and sweet, eh?Your list is certainly fitting and important to recent Mario games... but... it's short and lacks variety. Where is the music from the older Mario Land games? I think that, with a little more elaboration and variety, your list would have been among the best.

Fastblade5035
Overall: 40
Notes: Perfect. Perfect. Snow Battle is the only track on here that doesn't fit on so many levels. Seeing Wario Land was particularly great, but the Mario Land and 6 Golden Coins stuff was also pleasant. Great variety, tunes important to handheld Mario, popular stuff.

APC99
Overall: 37
Notes: Muda Kingdom was an interesting choice and I ultimately agree with it. And I liked that you dipped into the Mario RPG's... but your selection from there was rather uninspiring. How DARE you take music from Bowser’s Inside Story and not mention the ultra-popular "Dark Bowser Battle"?

Ascended
Overall: 36
Notes: You’ve got stuff from everywhere on here… but your list still doesn’t come off as varied as some of the other lists out there. It was great that you took from Mario and Luigi… but the music you took from there feels more like classical Mario music than RPG music. You took a bit of a risk… but didn’t risk quite enough.

BridgesWithTurtles
Overall: 34
Notes: The first thing I have to notice about your list? A lot of overworld themes. That’s not really a bad thing, but I feel like you could have varied that up a bit more. There are important and popular Mario songs that aren’t overworld themes, you know! Still, props for using stuff from Super Princess Peach. That caught me by surprise and works like a charm.

Croco
Overall: 35
Notes: The most interesting track on your list is the one from Dream Team. I do like that choice for some variety, but it isn’t really popular or important. What I don’t like is 3D World’s Theme… it fits on the Wii U (not the 3DS), and it sounds too similar to 3D Land’s theme. If you could swap that out for something else, I’d be ecstatic.

Ariand/AEM
Overall: 35
Notes: This is an incredibly interesting list. I didn’t like it as much the first time I rated it, but I’m giving you a boost as I read through it again. You chose some riskier songs (Versus Mode? Ending Theme?) and I think it really helps your variety. Still, I can’t really say that your list contained enough songs of importance and influence.

Violenceman
Overall: 40
Notes: Decathlon Theme? Brilliant! It adds a great amount of variety and fits. Giddy Sky? Brilliant! It’s very catchy and one of the most popular songs from Super Princess Peach. And Hohoo Village and Slider and Retro Theme? Yeah, I’m sold. You took risks and I feel like they paid off big time.

God Robert’s Cousin
Overall: 39
Notes: Victory hasn’t defeated you, Mr. Cousin. You did a pretty good job of getting the entire series in on the act (Dr. Mario for the win!). All of your songs make sense, too (bar maybe Beach Theme,which is a console track, but it does fit). The one bone I have to pick with you: Bowser’s Inside Story. You picked a popular song from that game… but there is one song in particular that is much, much more popular.

Falkoopa
Overall: 33
Notes: Delfino Plaza: I love the song, but not here. It’s never been on a handheld system before, and it seems like things will cater more towards those here. As a matter of fact, your list kind of leaves out the old Mario land games and the handheld Mario and Luigi games, too… I feel like those would be more fitting and add more variety. Still, you hit a lot of popular and important Mario tracks with this list.

T-J Works
Notes: Fury Volcano is the one that catches my eye. It’s great for variety… but I can’t help but feel like there was better and more popular music from that game. I’d say the same applies to your Bowser’s Inside Story pick. I liked your penchant for experimentation and your ability to nail all of the important tracks on top of that… but I feel like there were a few songs that didn’t fit with the handheld and a few that have more popular alternatives.

Jumpman84
Notes: I was very interested in that Drawing Song. Petty neat addition to your list. One thing I would like for you to take into account though: you pretty much forgot about the spinoffs. Something from one of the Mario and Luigi games would have sealed your list up nicely. I do understand your feelings there, but I think you could have slipped in ONE track.

LegendofRob1
Notes: Interesting including two battle themes from the spinoffs. If they didn’t have a similar feel to them, I’d be wholly in favor of the move; as is, however, I do think they do impede variety a bit. I’m not a huge fan of the 3D World theme, either… it’s just too similar to what we already have and I think it belongs on a console (maybe not a Galaxy stage, but a console nonetheless). Still, you hit a lot of important tunes and almost all of them were popular fits.

Kikwi-Kiwi
Overall: 37
Notes: Yoshi’s Island! Hello old friend! Considering I own two handheld Yoshi’s Island games, I think it fits with a handheld and a Mario stage. Your first five were all perfect picks, in my opinion… but the last three were kind of a letdown. Three main series themes, one of which is very similar to another song on your list? I could have done with a spinoff or a Six Golden Coins tune somewhere in there to give you that extra boost.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Frostwraith's Grades"]
Brawler610

Importance: 9/10
Popularity: 8/10
Variety: 9/10
Fit: 10/10
Total: 36/40

I like this list. While I think having three songs from previous Smash Bros. games is a bit unrealistic, the songs fit the stage well and are all recognizable and iconic tunes from previous Mario games, so I can't really object against those choices.

shinpichu

Variety: 7/10
Total: 34/40

While you only have five songs, you have picked good songs for the stage. Super Mario 3D Land's Athletic Theme is actually a remix of a song from SMB3 and is one of the most well-known Mario themes. I'd have given a higher score if you had replaced one of the NSMB2 songs with something else.

Fastblade5035

Fit: 9/10
Total: 35/40

Good list overall with several songs from both old and new games, catering to players of all ages. Most of the songs fit the stage and, although I'm a bit iffy on the Wario Land song, it's still part of the greater Mario series.

APC99

Importance: 8/10
Variety: 10/10

Muda Kingdom's theme is easily one of my favorite themes of Super Mario Land and it would fit nicely the water part of the stage. You have several main themes from the series, also including a remix of the classic Mario theme.
While your list is a bit lacking on more important songs, it shines when it comes to variety while having all songs fit the stage. Good job!

Ascended

Popularity: 9/10
Total: 37/40

Another fantastic list featuring well-known songs from the series. Even though titled differently due to being remixes, they are instantly recognized once heard. Your abundance of overworld themes hurts variety a little bit, but you have songs from Mario games old and new and the compositions are varied enough. Last but not least, all songs blend perfectly with the stage.

BridgesWithTurtles

Variety: 8/10

Overworld themes galore! Though you could have used boss or other kinds of music, but the fact is that Mario music is diverse, hence why I didn't grade your variety so low. The song from Super Princess Peach stands out and fits the stage quite well.

Croco

Not bad at all since you have many popular songs in your listing. The Mario & Luigi song stands out. Focusing on Athletic songs is not at all a bad idea, since this is a scrolling stage.

Ariand/AEM

Good song choices. The song that stands out most is SML's Ending theme which is a tad unfitting at the beginning, but it's actually not bad for the stage.
The beach theme from NSMBWii is a nice choice, considering the water part of the stage.

Violenceman

Importance: 7/10
Total: 33/40

You have quite the oddball choices here. This list lacks in more iconic tunes, but has a varied selection and the songs fit the stage.

God Robert's Cousin

Very good list with a lot of variety between tracks as well as origins. The previous Smash songs are good choices, considering both played in similar stages before. I agree that the beach song is fitting for the ocean part of the stage.
One of the best listings of this round.

FalKoopa

Importance: 10/10

While some Super Mario Land music wouldn't hurt, you have a varied selection of songs. Delfino Plaza fits the water part of the stage well and you have a good selection of important and iconic Mario songs.

TJ-Works

The only oddball choice is Fury Volcano from Super Princess Peach, otherwise it's not bad at all. You have songs from several different games and most of the songs are important. All songs fit the stage pretty well.

Jumpman84

With the right arrangement, the medley could be a neat song, even though it's not exactly important to the series as a whole. Including songs from old and new games is good for your variety and most songs are important and recognizable. Overall, a good list.

legendofrob1

Good choices overall and all songs fit the stage well. The battle themes are neat additions and add to the variety factor.

Kikwi-Kiwi

Importance: 10/10

Despite solely using overworld themes, you managed to score well due to the songs being very iconic and well-known. As this stage is pretty much the quintessential Mario stage, the songs all fit perfectly with the atmosphere.
Anyway, you could perhaps have given more spice by adding other songs instead of relying on overworld themes.
[/collapse]

[collapse="TumblrFamous' Grades"]
Brawler610
Total: 35
Notes: Not bad at all. I like it a lot, actually. Very important songs (I haven’t played NSMB2, though) that are popular and diverse. The only thing I see flawed is I don’t believe the Rainbow Cruise song from Melee would fit all that well and blend in with the rest of the music.

shinpichu
Notes: Hmm. Interesting songs. Well, the one thing I see is that it’s mainly from 3D Land and NSMB2. Not that it is a bad thing, as they are all very important and iconic and popular songs, but it just feels like it’s taking up all of the music slots. However, I do have to give you props for choosing only handheld songs. Just maybe some of the actual Smash songs could go in on there, as well.

Fastblade5035
Notes: You have many diverse songs from different games, and you have to be bold to put a Wario Land song on here. They’re all very different from each other, so full props. There are a few songs though that don’t seem like they belong. Like Star World, while popular, isn’t necessarily one of the more important songs in NSMB2. And I feel that Dream Battle would be more fitting on a different stage. This stage seems more hectic. While different music in the Mario franchise is good, I feel it would be best on a stage that gives off the vibe of a real Dream Battle.

APC99
Notes: Ugh, these songs. They fit perfectly in the stage! And they are all very diverse and are all from handhelds, so good job! However, some of these aren’t really the type of songs one would hear on the stage and immediately go “Oh! I know this song!” So I had to dock on importance. But very creative altogether!

Ascended
Notes: Dang, you did not make this easy for me. For one, I think you picked very popular and fitting songs that go perfectly in the stage and bring a sense of nostalgia into the game. And the sheer variety of the songs you picked gives the player a wide selection of choices. But, while I love the Mario spinoff music, you could’ve picked more important songs from said games.

BridgesWithTurtles
Notes: I like your choices. While the majority are the Overworld Themes, they are different enough that they bring players back into the fond memories of their childhood playing Mario on the NES. And props for including SMB2 Overworld. However, there are some songs, like Ladida Plains, that don’t really seem to be that iconic. If any song were to get in, it would be the main theme. And The Athletic 3D Land Theme and the Overworld 3 being there together seem rather redundant.

Croco
Notes: The only reason I gave you the 9s were because of Dreamy Castle, which to me isn’t as important, popular, or fits as well. Everything else is superb. Well done.

Ariand/AEM
Notes: Pretty nice and well-designed. Great variety that don’t seem to be similar. However, some tracks are not as important or iconic as others, and I’m not too sure on the Ending Theme, it doesn’t really fit that well for me. But, other than that, very well done, and props for the boss theme in Bowser’s Inside Story.

Violenceman
Notes: There were a few obscure choices. While it gives the tracks variety, they weren’t as popular and iconic as some of us would have wanted to see. Primarily I am talking about Giddy Sky (Though I love SPP), HooHoo Village, and Decathlon Time. So next time, keep it different as you did, but pick more iconic tunes people would love to nostalgically battle to.

God Robert’s Cousin
Notes: Damn, son. You go. I only gave you minus 2 for one reason, and one reason only: I will never give a perfect 40 score, as there is always room for improvement. That being said, the beach theme, while fitting, isn’t too important to the Mario franchise as a whole, or that one game in general. But so far one of the best. Well done.

Falkoopa
Notes: You should be proud of yourself. The more I do, the more I think to myself: “Wow. These are great. But I don’t want to give a perfect score, as I am ethically against that.” You should be so happy for yourself. I believe that the SMW LIVE! Music track, while fitting, does not totally go into my mind when I think of Mario, but a great choice nonetheless.

TJ-Works
Notes: Some of the tracks are pretty obscure and a bit unnecessary, so I docked a bit off of you. However, putting Fury Volcano in was a bold, interesting, and fitting move. Well done.

Jumpman84
Notes: I’m sorry. I understood what you were going for, but I had to dock points for the Drawing Song. Just… meh. And, to me, on two or so tracks, it sounded almost similar to another song on your list. So yeah… just keep that in mind.

legendofrob1
Notes: Well, off the bat, a bit too much 3D Land. I would limit myself to one or two tracks. And to me, neither of the battle themes are important enough nor do they fit well onto the stage. So it could use some improvement.

Kikwi-Kiwi
Notes: Very well done. There’s great music for any fan of any one of these games. My own nitpick is the Yoshi’s Island theme. I simply cannot see it on that stage. But everything else was top notch. Good luck!
[/collapse]

[collapse="Final Grades"]
Brawler610: 135
Shinpichu: 130
Fastblade5035: 145
APC99: 143
Ascended: 145
BridgesWithTurtles: 140
Croco: 141
Ariand/AEM: 140
ViolenceMan: 137
God Robert's Cousin: 152
Falkoopa: 141
T-J Works: 141
Jumpman84: 137
legendofrob1:136
Kikwi-Kiwi: 148
[/collapse]

The winner of this round is....

again....

GOD ROBERT'S COUSIN!!!

Twice in a row. Wow.

As usual, you have about a day to mull over results. If you have a question about your grades, please ask!

Groose

Smash Champion
Really solid competition this time around. You guys inspired me to plug in my old Game Boy color and pick up Six Golden Coins again... BRAVO!

As I said, I had two perfect scores, yet neither placed in the top three. Chances are that at least one judge loved your list this time around.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well. what gave me good scores for some got me lower scores for others.

Man, glad we are doing a console stage next, I didn't know much handheld games and was pretty much restricted to 3D land and the RPGs. I guess I could have put princess' secret slide or something instead

EDIT: prolly being too hard on myself... again :p

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah. We had some really good lists this time.

Scores were at an all time high! Everyone did great!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
An average of 36/40... not bad... And Groose, I ultimately forgot about Dark Bowser Battle, but thinking about it, it'd be better on a Bowser's Castle stage, in my opinion. Also, I'm glad to see my songs "fit" the stage well. 5th place for a newcomer isn't so bad...

EDIT: I have a few questions for the judges:

Swampasaur, which songs were the odd ones, exactly, besides World 4?

What would you guys suggest I add or remove to that list?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I am... Surprised, wow. I was helping AEM make his list when he and I reached a disagreement of Dr. Mario, so he dared me to enter the contest with that track and do better than him. I never expected to be the winner a second time in a row. I didn't think I had that type of luck! Retweeted by #HumbleBrags

In all seriousness, I'm really glad I won. Like Zelda, Mario is a fun series to work with in terms of what's available to use, so it's only natural that everyone else had a great variety of entries. Great job to you all! Now I just wonder if this means I'm SOL for next round...

By the way AEM, told ya.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Congratulations to God Robert's Cousin for winning. His list was easily one of my favorites, tied with a few others.

As we've stated before, we alternate between console and handheld version stages, so expect something from the Wii U version on the next round!

D

Deleted member

I was considering doing the Slide Theme from Mario 64 alone, but I chose Rainbow Cruise instead since it had the Slide Theme in it already. So... I guess I should have chose the Slide Theme alone. I also should have chosen a song from the Mario RPG games... probably the battle theme from Dream Team or Sticker Star. I... guess I rushed a bit with my list. :p

I can't wait to do the music for the next stage!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually think the Rainbow Ride theme from Melee is one of the best choices for this stage since it would probably match the first half (SM64 Slide Theme) with the grassy hills area with Peach's Castle and the second half of the song (SMB Underwater Theme) with the water area. This is, of course, my opinion.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I guess I have a habit of trying to add catchier songs over the ones that are more generally popular. It's even more harder trying to add songs that already came up on other people's list, when you thought you came up with it first.

Glad I did better than last time.

Congrats GRC.

P.S. The reason I had 9 songs in my choices was because I forgot about the Athletic theme from 3D Land, but I didn't want to replace any of my other choices. :[

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
An average of 36/40... not bad... And Groose, I ultimately forgot about Dark Bowser Battle, but thinking about it, it'd be better on a Bowser's Castle stage, in my opinion. Also, I'm glad to see my songs "fit" the stage well. 5th place for a newcomer isn't so bad...

EDIT: I have a few questions for the judges:

Swampasaur, which songs were the odd ones, exactly, besides World 4?

What would you guys suggest I add or remove to that list?
I suppose "odd" was a bad way of putting it.

I only found two tracks "odd" and they were World 4 and Star Maze. Everything else was great.

Perhaps a Super Mario 64 DS or Mario and Luigi track would be good?

And ATTENTION!!! I'd like two things to happen right now. The first page is lagging so....much. So... if you participated in the first round, can you change your embeds into links? That would help IMMENSELY. Also, tell me what you think of the Wall of Honor. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well done, GRC. I mulled over not giving you a 40, but the Beach theme stuck out as odd for me.

But like I said, ladies and gentlemen, do not expect perfect scores from me. I learned this from my English professor last year. She never gave a perfect score on an essay because, no matter how perfect it could have been, there will always be room for improvement.

Next round starts tomorrow. Look over our critiques, and pick what you think is the most fitting for tomorrow's stage.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah... About tomorrow, less people will probably participate. But hey, it will still be fun.

Groose

Smash Champion
One thing I have to comment about this round: so many people picked "They're Pretty Tough, Should We be Careful?" And while it's definitely a great song (and earned you a great deal of variety points on my list)... WHY U NO DARK BOWSER!?!?! There's a reason people rank it among the best final boss music of all time. It's popular as heck and provides the same variety as the theme you picked.

And ATTENTION!!! I'd like two things to happen right now. The first page is lagging so....much. So... if you participated in the first round, can you change your embeds into links? That would help IMMENSELY. Also, tell me what you think of the Wall of Honor. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

I still can't view the first page. Listen to this man, guys!

EDIT: prolly being too hard on myself... again :p
Yup. I found your list to be better than the average this time around. The other judges may not have thought so, but you should still be proud of your list.

I was considering doing the Slide Theme from Mario 64 alone, but I chose Rainbow Cruise instead since it had the Slide Theme in it already. So... I guess I should have chose the Slide Theme alone. I also should have chosen a song from the Mario RPG games... probably the battle theme from Dream Team or Sticker Star. I... guess I rushed a bit with my list. :p

I can't wait to do the music for the next stage!
I liked that track, but I didn't like the sheer amount of existing Smash music on your list. Out with the old, in with the new!

Heh, it's okay. I really liked your list and I really liked that piece from Inside Story that you had. It was what made me give you that perfect ten in Variety. It probably would fit better on a Bowser's Castle... but who's to say we'll get one of those? :laugh:

Nice work on your list. You placed in my top five this week (or, at the very least, on the fringe thereof)!

I guess I have a habit of trying to add catchier songs over the ones that are more generally popular. It's even more harder trying to add songs that already came up on other people's list, when you thought you came up with it first.

Glad I did better than last time.

Very admirable entry in this round, mate. I liked that volcano song. Really varied your list up quite a bit and brought back some fond memories.
I am... Surprised, wow. I was helping AEM make his list when he and I reached a disagreement of Dr. Mario, so he dared me to enter the contest with that track and do better than him. I never expected to be the winner a second time in a row. I didn't think I had that type of luck! Retweeted by #HumbleBrags

In all seriousness, I'm really glad I won. Like Zelda, Mario is a fun series to work with in terms of what's available to use, so it's only natural that everyone else had a great variety of entries. Great job to you all! Now I just wonder if this means I'm SOL for next round...

By the way AEM, told ya.

Heh. Dr. Mario was pretty great and helped push you over the top in variety. Glad you used it.

Make sure to enter the next round. Once again, we've chosen a stage from a very popular game... oh, but I've said too much already. :shades:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Hmmm this game looks fun and I might try participating on a day where I'm actually somewhat experienced/familiar with the music, probably not though XD (not much of a music buff really) but whatever, carry on interesting thread =P

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Make sure to enter the next round. Once again, we've chosen a stage from a very popular game... oh, but I've said too much already. :shades:

Does it involve a certain super fighting robot? I think we know what he's thinking of...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
One thing I have to comment about this round: so many people picked "They're Pretty Tough, Should We be Careful?" And while it's definitely a great song (and earned you a great deal of variety points on my list)... WHY U NO DARK BOWSER!?!?! There's a reason people rank it among the best final boss music of all time. It's popular as heck and provides the same variety as the theme you picked.

Heh. Dr. Mario was pretty great and helped push you over the top in variety. Glad you used it.

To answer the first question, it's because I can't a stage that looks like this:

Having music that portrays this:

And if I'm excited enough by the next stage, I certainly will join once again!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Do NOT spill the beans, Groose.

But yes, everyone did marvelous this time around. If anyone has a question about a certain critique I gave them, please PM me, and I'll be happy to tell them why I gave them that score. And what you said about Dark Bowser: I like the Boss Battle theme better. Besides, the Dark Bowser music does not fit in with that stage.

Swamp, I like the Wall of Honor. It's simple yet satisfying if your name is on there. And since GRC is on there twice, it's double the satisfaction for him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I honestly would like to see the new lost world stage up on here, but we would probably see it sometime after sonic lost world comes out.

D

Deleted member

I liked that track, but I didn't like the sheer amount of existing Smash music on your list. Out with the old, in with the new!
Yeah... I suspected that. When I put in the Super Mario 64 theme, I thought, "Great. I bet that could count as 4 SSB songs even though they used the original version in Brawl." I guess I might refrain myself from using more than 3 SSB songs for each stage now.

EDIT: I also feel like the Dark Bowser music would be terribly unfitting for the stage that is bright and colorful when the music is for a very dark battle. I mean, I love the song, but it wouldn't make sense to me if it appeared on this stage. I think it more belongs in a Bowser's Castle stage... if we get one that is. You don't have to agree with me, but

Groose

Smash Champion
Well, Dark Bowser is what makes us all different, eh? That's why we have four judges: so someone like me doesn't horribly mess you up.

Do NOT spill the beans, Groose.
I won't. You can be sure of that. I'm having too much fun giving tiny little hints. I feel like Sakurai... *Laughs*

I honestly would like to see the new lost world stage up on here, but we would probably see it sometime after sonic lost world comes out.
I did say the stage comes from a very popular series. Sonic is very... Oh, but I've said too much.

I'll tell you now. It's not Megaman.
Mega Man was my second choice. But I managed to argue it out and get my first choice. So when you see what stage it is tomorrow, thank good 'ol Groose. :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Groose, Tumbler!

Edit your posts...

Now.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so it's sonic. good, I have been listening to it's music all day.

if it's not sonic I swear to groose, this is bull

Top Bottom