• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3D/U OST Contest! Round 27 - Midgar (Grading)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If I could make a new rule, can everyone post a link to the video/music instead of posting the actual video? Example

If there's 50 or so Youtube videos on the same page it makes loading the page take forever. >_>

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If I could make a new rule, can everyone post a link to the video/music instead of posting the actual video? Example

If there's 50 or so Youtube videos on the same page it makes loading the page take forever. >_>
That's true. And I would assume most people can know the song from first glance of the title.

Congrats, Hotcakes! Might I say I'm really excited for round two. Hoping for Skyloft or Battle Ring.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
The second round hasn't started yet. I've been waiting all day...

I don't need it... I don't need it...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry about the wait everyone.

College happened.

Either way, the next round is up! And it's Skyloft.

ROUND TWO: Skyloft (Wii U)

UNIVERSE: The Legend of Zelda
GAME OF ORIGIN: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)

The competition's gone sky high and we enter Skyloft from Skyword Sword. Surely a Zelda game will have plenty of great tracks!

There is a confirmed track on this stage.

It's none other than the Ballad of the Goddess! The Main theme of the game!

Name: Ballad or the Goddess
Universe: The Legend of Zelda
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hJeaLotEw

What's this? No embed?

That's right. In an effort to prevent lag, no more embedding. Simple :link2:s will suffice.

Also, the Wii U will focus on console games so keep that in mind while making lists.

GO GET EM!!!

And to answer questions!

Congrats to Hotcakes! Job well done, man.

Yeah, my list sucked. In my defense, I think I played it too safe sticking with tracks that have been on Battlefield in the past. Granted, I love those tracks and I really do want to see them, but I also wanted to keep the tracklist from being too large. I glad my Multi Man Medley paid off, though it pained me not to include Multi Man Melee 1 (can you imagine the confusion if I had both of them on my list?). But I learned my lesson and if I had to do it again, I'd probably drop Battlefield (Melee) in favor of Metal Battle or Target Test. Oh well.

I actually had a question about one of your comments, where you said you would grade the Fighting Polygon Theme as if it was the original. Does this only mean that you were only judging the song's own merits and not the individual remix (which is understandable and fair) or were you indicating that you were judging the songs as if they were simply ported into the game? Personally, I don't have a problem with the song in the game as is, but I think it's likely that, much like previous games, we'll see songs get remixed and that should be taken into account.

I guess my main concern is if, for example, we do the Mario stage and my list includes Super Mario Bros. - Ground Theme, would it be judged as "a direct port from the NES will be on this stage" or as "this song itself will be on this stage, no matter what form it takes"? Personally, I would think that it be the latter, but for contest purposes, some clarification would be helpful.

In any case, great first round so far and I can't wait for Round 2!

You're list was great. Don't say it sucked!

Song's own merits. Not the individual remix. No worries there.

The latter. We'll judge it as "this song itself will be on this stage, no matter what form it takes."

There ya go! :D

Is everyone allowed to join? I might participate in round two.

Sure. You can join whenever!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Will it count against our "variety" scores if we don't include anything from other series outside of Zelda? Because let's be realistic here. We're limited to only 8 tracks on a Zelda stage. Choosing from that series alone is enough of a challenge.

[collapse=Skyloft Music List]
Song: Ballad of the Goddess
Source: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii, 2011)

Song: Skyloft

Song: The Sky

Song: Hyrule Castle Town
Source: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube/Wii, 2006)

Song: Clock Town (All 3 Days)
Source: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64, 2000)

Song: Kokiri Forest
Source: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64, 1998)

Song: Wind Waker "Domestic" Medley (Title Theme, Outset Island, Windfall Island)
Source: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube, 2003)

Song: Ballad of the Wind Fish
Source: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy, 1993)
[/collapse]

[collapse=I guess we can explain our choices, so...]
The three songs I chose from Skyward Sword were carefully selected. Obviously, Ballad of the Goddess is required (I would've chosen it anyway), and Skyloft's actual theme would be ludicrous to leave out. Not wanting to give too much representation to one game, when it came down to the remaining fan-favorites from Skyward Sword, I decided on the flying overworld music. It's a track you hear all throughout the game, and it fits the stage well. Lack of Groose's Theme notwithstanding, I think it's a fair selection.

Castle Town and Clock Town are pretty much the de facto "Skylofts" of their respective games. Thus, their music tracks are equally appropriate for a stage based on a quaint village area; the songs are instant classics as well.

Kokiri Forest was chosen for its naturesque air and playful innocence, which fits the colorful, whimsical Skyloft locale. The Wind Waker medley may fit better on a Wind Waker stage, but even if one is likely to show up, until it's revealed, I'm going to act like it doesn't exist, and I think that's fair. Besides, there's no saying a Wind Waker stage can't have Skyward Sword music. The "domestic" songs are light, warm, and homey, fitting Skyloft like a glove. Finally, Ballad of the Wind Fish was chosen for its status as a fan favorite and classic, and its peaceful melody would accompany Skyloft very nicely, while offering a more serious, sentimental touch than my other choices. Even if it's from a handheld game, we don't know the rules for music selection in the game yet, and I'd rather music from a handheld game accompany a console-based stage where it fits than a handheld-based one where it doesn't.

Maybe lacking in "epic" music, but I expect we'll see a more serious/foreboding Zelda stage as well; I assume that's where the boss battle themes, etc. will show up.
[/collapse]

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Will it count against our "variety" scores if we don't include anything from other series outside of Zelda? Because let's be realistic here. We're limited to only 8 tracks on a Zelda stage. Choosing from that series alone is enough of a challenge.
Variety is mainly talking about variety in GAMES not SERIES, so no need to bring other series in if you don't want. Variety is mainly there to ensure that we don't only get Skyward Sword music for example.

That make sense?

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
This contest sounds pretty cool. I didn't enter the first round because I've only played Brawl in the SSB series. :x
But I have played some Zelda! So I guess I'll enter my recommendations below:

* Skyloft - It's the theme used for the game Skyloft originates from, so it makes perfect sense.
* Ballad of the Goddess - T'was already confirmed.
* Koloktos Boss Battle - Probably the best battle theme in the game, above Ghirahim. I imagine Skyloft being the only Skyward Sword stage, so this theme HAS to appear should it not mix well with another Zelda stage. It's a thrill to listen to when fighting, and may match nicely with the platform flying high above the clouds and around Skyloft.
* Song of the Hero - Hopefully an extended version will appear. A tune that was said to resonate with everyone who recognised it after gathering the four melody parts and playing them together. A 40 second song that represents 25 years of LoZ makes sense to remix for a SSB stage.
* The Sky - You rode a horse in Hyrule Field. You sailed a ship in the Great Sea. From Skyloft, you traveled by flying on birds.This theme emphasised the magnificence of speeding high in the sky, and with a stage like Skyloft, you have to listen to this when you're kicking everyone into the clouds below.
* Kokiri Forest (Ocarina of Time) - Considering Kokiri Forest was where you started out in OoT, so was Skyloft in Skyward Sword, so listening to this track just blends well with it's cheery, homely tune.
* Main Theme (Twilight Princess) - I chose this over the main theme of Legend of Zelda just because I didn't want to be predictable as other's have picked it. Besides that, Song of the Hero is meant to help represent 25 years of LoZ in this list. I think Twilight Princess' Main Theme is just as emphatic as any other Zelda theme.
* Bazaar Theme (Skyward Sword) - A very uplifting melody reminiscent of the theme for the Delfino Plaza stage, I realised Skyloft's stage acts very similar to that stage, where it flies around to the various of areas within Skyloft and landing, before raising into the sky again. From that, I thought this theme would act perfectly.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Okay, time to research. I'll just pull up the Smash Wiki and use Bridge of Eldin for reference... (spits out Diet Dr. Pepper) NINE?! Sakurai had NINE tracks on that stage? And I only get up to eight to cover the ENTIRE Zelda series? It's not fair... (sniff)

Nevertheless, I have a semi-finalized list. I haven't played Skyward Sword, so my list might not be the best. Sorry.
[collapse=My second round list. Can you spot the Project M reference?]
1. Name: Ballad of the Goddess

www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hJeaLotEw

2. Name: Main Theme (Legend of Zelda)
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBVW2Yt1X4

3. Name: Skyloft

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4T38gw6Wk

4. Name: Time Attack
Game of Origin: Nintendo Land (The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7egDfOBGPk

5. Name: Title (Link's Crossbow Training)
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ99oJkBW-o

6. Name: Ocarina of Time Medley
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7PsFD9UuY8

7. Name: Great Temple/Temple
Game of Origin: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfWJJiDOQGM

8. Name: Groose's Theme

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xD1FAOJI84
[/collapse]

Enjoy, you judges, you!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My picks for Skyloft.

Ballad of the Goddess - Skyward Sword
Groose's Theme - Skyward Sword
Clock Town - Majora's Mask
Battle against Ghirahim - Skyward Sword
Hyrule Castle - A Link to the Past
Great Temple/Temple - Brawl
Takamaru's Ninja Castle - Nintendo Land
City in the Sky- Twilight Princess

Reasoning for having Ninja Castle on here is because of the sister relationship Nazo no Murasame and Zelda have to each other, and most of the Nintendo Land Zelda songs are from OOT (Saria's Song, Gerudo Valley) and I wanted to save them for the 3DS Gerudo Valley stage. Plus it wouldn't be the first time a stage has had music from another franchise on it (Tunnel Scene from X being on Lylat Cruise).

Ballad of the Goddess is confirmed so yeah...

I think Groose's Theme fits well considering the environment, plus its lightheartedness fits the Smash atmosphere.

Clock Town fits really well too in my opinion. I was considering putting it on the Gerudo Valley stage, but Majora's Mask isn't a handheld where as OOT is.

Ghirahim battle captures another turn on Skyward Sword's sountrack. Ghirahim is a wildly popular character in some realms, so at least having his song can satisfy some fans.

City of the Sky is a really weird sounding track, but it sounds like it fits on the stage.

Hyrule Castle from LTTP is there to show off some music from LTTP. It and Great Temple cover every console Zelda game with the exception of Wind Waker, who I was really conflicted on because of Spirit Tracks fitting the music more.

Melee's Temple is a Smash classic so it should appear again.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
[collapse="GRC's Skyloft Song List"]
Name: Skyloft
Series: The Legend of Zelda

Name: Ballad of the Goddess

Name: The Bazaar
Note: This would act as mini-medley of sorts, with parts of the song cycling through different variations.

Name: Versus Moldarach / Koloktos

Name: Clock Town
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Note: Day 1 version.

Name: Windfall Island
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Note: This version takes from the HD version of Wind Waker, which does have minor differences from the original.

Name: Hyrule Castle Town
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Note: The song doesn't really feel like it fits the tone of Smash Bros. until 0:54, but from that point on the entire song is grade-A material.

Name: Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda)
Series: Super Smash Bros.
Game of Origin: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Name: Hyrule Temple
Series: Super Smash Bros.
Game of Origin: Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Nine tracks instead of the usual 5-8 due to wide range of Zelda games to cover in addition to that Bridge of Eldin had nine songs as well. If I'm really going to lose points for going one over the limit, please factor out "The Bazaar" from my list and judge it based on the remaining eight.
  • Handheld title songs avoided like the plague so as to give 3DS versions' Gerudo Valley and Spirit Train songs to draw from.
    • This includes no Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Four Swords/ALttP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Ocarina of Time, or A Link Between Worlds. That leaves Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, all of which are present in the list. All of that said, I avoided using other Wind Waker songs as fitting as they are due to the inevitable Wind Waker stage on SSB4 Wii U.
  • 4 Skyward Sword songs, 1 Majora's Mask song, 1 Wind Waker song, 1 Twilight Princess song, 1 Brawl song, 1 Melee song--Diverse yet relevant to what is being displayed.
    • Of the Skyward Sword songs, we have the most well known Skyward Sword song, the song of which the stage originated with, a more upbeat song/medley to stand out, and a battle theme.
    • In regards to the other songs, three town themes that aren't too unsuitable for battle, each from one of the other major console Zeldas and having separate vibes from one-another. Coming from past Smash Bros. games, we have the main theme that just about goes with any Zelda stage (based on Zelda 1) and a classic Smash Bros. song that fits well within the similarly high-above-the-clouds vibe of Skyloft (based on Zelda 2)--Diversity within diversity!
  • To sum up the above:
    • Skyward Sword songs
      • Skyloft - Song actually associated with the stage
      • Ballad of Goddess - Theme most associated with Skyward Sword and a good battle song
      • Bazaar - Upbeat mini-medley to stand-out from the rest of the songs
      • Versus Moldarach / Koloktos - A more serious track and easily one of the best battle songs in all of Skyward Sword, period
    • Other songs
      • Clock Town - Majora's Mask song, "Time's a wasting, let's be productive and fight!" town vibe
      • Windfall Island - Wind Waker song, "Whoa, look at that view!" town vibe
      • Hyrule Castle Town - Twilight Princess song, "All this fighting and flying around, everything's so busy!" town vibe
      • Main Theme - Brawl/The Legend of Zelda 1 song, the Zelda song that should always take some form in Smash Bros.
      • Hyrule Temple - Melee/The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure song, totally classic Smash Bros. song from a similar "land mass in the sky" stage
[/collapse]
I think I'm much better equipped this time around. Good songs with diverse vibes and a variety of games, all backed up by a big list of reasoning for each and every track. Best of luck to everyone else.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I respectfully disagree. It should be saved for Final Destination. It does, after all, go with everything.
What Sakurai should do is create an algorithim that allows Groose's Theme and Guile's Theme a chance to be played on ANY stage in the game!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Skyloft
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - The Sky
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Battle with Ghirahim
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Koloktos
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Fight with Levias
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Hidden Village (Brawl)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)

"Skyloft" is a good change of pace song that captures the spirit of the town. Titular song for the stage. "The Sky", besides being the place Link spends most of his time, is adventurous -- a great song for a battle. "Battle with Ghirahim" and "Koloktos" are the more popular battle themes from the game, and while others like the "Stalfos" theme and the final boss theme are also good options, too many would detract from the theme of the stage instead of being an occasional change of mood. "Fight with Levias" is my more left of field choice as I feel it is a good fit with the Skyloft stage. "The Hidden Village" and the "Ocarina of TIme Medley" are my two "retro" selections. "Hidden Village" is a very lighthearted town song that would probably fit better on Skyloft than it did Eldin Bridge. "Ocarina of Time Medley" is one of the marque tracks from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I cannot really see any circumstance it wouldn't return. Why these two and not any other? For starters, I'm limited to a five-to-eight threshold; and secondly because these two best fit Skyloft. And since I'm of the opinion we'll be seeing a new Wind Waker HD stage, the rest will wind up there.

D

Deleted member

Sure. You can join whenever!
Thank you!
Ballad of the Goddess (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Skyloft (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
The Sky (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Faron Woods (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Saria's Song (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Ballad of the Wind Wish (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening) (please don't pay attention to the remix that starts at 1:24)
Ocarina of Time Medley (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda) (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
EDIT: Most of the songs I chose were me thinking which ones that I truly felt fit the stage and I was imagining what we have seen of the stage thus far with these songs playing in the background. Ballad of the Wind Fish may be a sad song, but I think it fits in with the stage just fine. I avoided battle themes like any of Ghirahim's Battle Themes and Levias' Battle Theme since I didn't think they would fit the peaceful nature of Skyloft. I might not win, but I'm glad that I participated!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Here's my entry for Skyloft stage. Let's see how it goes.

Ballad of the Goddess (Skyward Sword)
Skyloft (Skyward Sword)
The Sky (Skyward Sword)
City in the Sky (Twilight Princess)
Palace of Winds (Minish Cap)
Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda) (Brawl)
Clock Town (Majora's Mask)
Hyrule Field (Ocarina of Time)

I chose Hyrule Field and Clock Town as they are the HUBs for their respective games, as Skyloft is. City in the Sky was largely a choice based on the name, as that it describes Skyloft quite well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's my entry for Skyloft stage. Let's see how it goes.

Ballad of the Goddess (Skyward Sword)
Skyloft (Skyward Sword)
The Sky (Skyward Sword)
City in the Sky (Twilight Princess)
Palace of Winds (Minish Cap)
Main Theme (Skyward Sword)
Clock Town (Majora's Mask)
Hyrule Field (Ocarina of Time)

I chose Hyrule Field and Clock Town as they are the HUBs for their respective games, as Skyloft is. City in the Sky was largely a choice based on the name, as that it describes Skyloft quite well.
Um...

Fal, Ballad of the Goddess is the Skyward Sword Main Theme. You have the same song on there twice.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You got less than a day to go people!

You better submit your lists!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Here is my song list for Skyloft.

1. Ballad of the Goddess (Skyward Sword) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hJeaLotEw
  2. Skyloft (Skyward Sword) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4T38gw6Wk
  3. The Sky (Skyward Sword) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbROTdOgj0
  4. Groose's Theme (Skyward Sword) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xD1FAOJI84 (this one would be an orchestral, slightly more upbeat version of Groose's theme... fit for battling!)
  5. Levias Battle (Skyward Sword) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYf5c1Dfp8
  6. Fi's Theme (Skyward Sword) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPheoucN_0
  7. Hyrule Field (Ocarina of Time) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8Y7hdD6Qk
  8. Lon Lon Ranch (Ocarina of Time) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPS5ubApoE
  9. Clock Town (Majora's Mask) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaflMqvxIqA

And my reasoning for each song:

1. 'Ballad of the Goddess' is a perfect match for this stage. It is the most iconic and popular song from Skyward Sword, and it is quick enough to work wonders for a fighting game!
  2. 'Skyloft' may not be and intense battle theme, but it fits the stage - it is the theme of Skyloft, after all! Delfino Plaza got it's main theme, and Skyloft definitely needs the same.
  3. 'The Sky' fits the fast-paced upbeat nature of this stage, perfect for flying around all over Skyloft!
  4. Who doesn't love 'Groose's Theme'? Who wouldn't want to fight along to an orchestral, upbeat version?!
  5. 'Levias Battle' was the theme to one of the most well-remembered battles in Skyward Sword - and plus, it took place in the Sky, so it fits this stage perfectly.
  6. Think of the inclusion of 'Fi's Theme' sort of like how Bridge of Eldin had Midna's Lament. Not too much of a fighting game tune, but a nice homage to Link's companion from their respective games.
  7. 'Hyrule Field' is such an iconic and popular song, it has to be in! Luckily, it still manages to fit the stage very well.
  8. 'Lon Lon Ranch' is one of the most memorable tunes from Ocarina of Time, and it fits Skyloft like a glove!
  9. Town themes are just wonderful, aren't they? One of the most wonderful is 'Clock Town', from Majora's Mask, which is why I added it to this stage.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played enough Zelda to offer up a complete list, but, for your consideration, I totally think we should allow music from the 25th Anniversary Symphony:

Like Gerudo Valley.

Okay, mostly just Gerudo Valley.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I haven't played enough Zelda to offer up a complete list, but, for your consideration, I totally think we should allow music from the 25th Anniversary Symphony:

Like Gerudo Valley.

Okay, mostly just Gerudo Valley.
that would fit better on the, you know, gerudo valley stage? the one that's confirmed? you know?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Hold on... We have to explain our song selections now? Crap! Um...

[collapse=I guess we need to start with Battlefield.]
I find the best strategy is to look at past Smash titles. Smash Bros. is about legacy and each new version builds upon the previous. With this in mind, looking at past Battlefields, we can see what tracks make up its core essence.

Melee's Battlefield track is a remix of the Melee menu theme. However, Sakurai already provided us this theme, so we can be assured it's represented. The Multi Man Melee tracks in Melee are remixes of Melee's opening theme. The Battlefield tracks in Brawl are remixes of Brawl's main theme. So three essential themes to be on this stage.

Now, if you look back at Smash 64, there is a Battlefield-esque stage where you encounter the Fighting Polygon Team. To me, that's a fantastic choice to put in to rep the original. And don't forget the Smash 4 theme as history indicates that there'll be some version of it on there.

All in all, your list may look like this
Menu (Super Smash Bros. Melee) -Brawl Version-
E3 Trailer Music (SSB4)
Multi-Man Melee 1 (Melee) (Melee opening rep)
Battlefield (Brawl) (Brawl theme rep)
Fighting Polygon Team (SSB) (Smash64 rep)

And there you go! There are tracks representing each game as well as each song that has been utilized for Battlefield in the past. From here, it's personal taste, really. I swapped out Multi Man Melee 1 for the medley since I like Multi-Man Melee 2 more and it wasn't in Brawl plus it fits better with Battlefield Ver. 2. And I put in Battlefield (Melee) for nostalgic reasons. Of course, I know that was dumb, as I could have used that space for unsung heroes of the Smash music world. If you take a look at Captain Hotcakes's winning tracklist, it closely emulates our above list, plus his own tastes for excellent music. He chose a different Smash 64 track for the rep, but his list still captures the core essence of Battlefield and Smash.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Now, for Skyloft...]
This is a bit trickier, as there are 25 years of Zelda history to try to fit into one stage. Sakurai made it easier by giving us a track to start off with, Ballad of the Goddess. From there, well let's once again look to Smash's past for our muses.

Main Theme (Legend of Zelda)
This song has been in Smash Bros. since the N64 days, showing up faithfully on Hyrule Castle, Great Bay, and Bridge of Eldin. It seems like a no brainer for Skyloft to have the track this round.

Ocarina of Time Medley
Great Bay had Saria's Song as its alt track, lending it some history with Smash. Yet this track and many more were featured in Brawl's medley which seemed to capture the essence of Ocarina of Time. So I opted for this choice.

Great Temple/Temple
Who doesn't love the Temple theme? This tune wormed its way into our hearts since Melee and at the same time vindicated Zelda II as one of the classics. Personally, I enjoy the Great Temple/Temple more, so that's why I opted for that one. Either one works though and it serves as a neat reference to Project M! :p

Now, here's where it gets tricky. It is impossible to fit all the tracks that were in Brawl on this stage. However, we can take a look at the games represented...

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (pretty much just Temple, though)
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
Twilight Princess
(I didn't include Link's Awakening as it's a handheld game, though it technically would count thanks to the Super Game Boy.)

So, we got three of those taken care of. Let's move on to my other choices...

Title (Link's Crossbow Training)
Now, another thing I was considering was that the Zelda franchise had quite a few games after Twilight Princess. One of them, Link's Crossbow Training, doesn't seem to have much in the way of original music, being tied to Twilight Princess. However, the title theme hit it off with me pretty quickly and is a remix of the Hyrule Field theme of that game. It also appears to have bits of The Dark World from A Link to the Past in it as well. So, that drove me to include it. Plus, I imagine a lot of Link to the Past stuff will be in Link Between Worlds, so I chose to omit that game from my selections (though I thought about including one.)

Time Attack
Game Of Origin: Nintendo Land
In looking to the future of Zelda, I figured that there should be a Wii U rep. Other than the Wind Waker HD, the only other Zelda related game was Nintendo Land, yet the Battle Quest could technically count. None of the tracks seemed to match Skyloft or effectively represent Nintendo Land... except for Time Attack. I'm not sure if the Time Attack is a remix of a Zelda theme or not, but it seemed to be perfect for a battle throughout the city. Hence I chose it.

Skyloft
To be perfectly honest, my original list had a track from Wind Waker to rep its HD release in this spot. I had never played Skyward, so I didn't know any of the songs (except for the other two). However, the fact it had an HD release recently, Toon Link was returning as a fighter, and that Pirate Ship could be returning from Brawl had me change my mind at the last minute. So I stole this idea from BridgesWithTurtles (sorry!) Besides, what kind of stage would it be if it didn't include its own theme? Besides, Bridge of Eldin had three Twilight Princess tracks, so three Skyward Sword tracks is reasonable.

Groose's Theme
Do I honestly need an explanation? It's awesome. End of story.

So in the end, I traded off Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, and Wind Waker for Link's Crossbow Training, Nintendo Land, and more Skyloft.

EXTRA NOTE: Four Swords Adventures and Majora's Mask had only one song each and were both on the Pirate Ship, so I didn't put them in consideration...
[/collapse]

Phew! I hope I got these done in time before the cutoff...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
First, Ballad of the Goddess of course! (also, I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment and this is a late entry, so I may not be explaining my selections much)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hJeaLotEw Game: Skyward Sword. Universe: The Legend of Zelda.

Skyloft. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4T38gw6Wk Game: Skyward Sword. Universe: The Legend of Zelda. I chose this song to take a break from the faster paced, epic and/or more dramatic pieces. Some stages just need a calm song among everything else.

The Sky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbROTdOgj0 Game: Skyward Sword. Universe: The Legend of Zelda. This theme is certainly one of Skyward Sword's more iconic themes, being the song that plays when you ride your Loftwing in the overworld, the main overworld theme is always an iconic theme for the game. I find that it suits this stage well, after all, the entire location is visible when flying in the overworld in Skyward Sword.

Levias Battle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYf5c1Dfp8 Game: Skyward Sword. Universe: The Legend of Zelda. An epic piece that I believe perfectly suits the battle with the possesed whale-like Sky Spirit, Levias. At least one boss theme should make it onto this stage, and this one I think fits the stage best, as like in the Levias battle, you'll be flying around the area, (though on platform this time) and well suits an epic battle for this location.

Puppet Zelda. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs_eaPO6lZw Game: Twilight Princess. Universe: The Legend of Zelda. If you ask me, this was a memorable part of Twilight Princess. I mean, who else expected Ganondorf to POSSESS and have you fight Zelda? Of course it turned out as new type of Phantom Ganon battle, but still posing a decent difficulty and giving a short lived, but good plot twist. The faster pace and more panicky feel to the piece I think fits a moving stage in the sky better than the theme that plays during the final phase against Ganondorf in Twilight Princess.

Ghirahim Battle. (I listed two songs here because I would prefer a medley of them, but couldn't find a medley video of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1OgurYq28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWy_F29hJg0 Game: Skyward Sword. Universe: The Legend of Zelda. Ghirahim is arguably the most memorable character in Skyward Sword, and his themes are among the more popular songs in the game. Though, Ghirahim doesn't truly deserve a slot in the game, he is at least worthy of having two out of his three battle themes get into the game. Though, perhaps I shouldn't have included both Puppet Zelda and Ghirahim's themes here, but I'll go ahead and give it a shot anyway.

Stone Tower Temple. (normal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_NK5HgR6Q Game: Majora's Mask: Universe: The Legend of Zelda. Well, I think this song happens to fit in this stage. I don't know why exactly, but theres just something about it that I think makes it fit. I don't really have an explanation here, sorry about that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I might as well get into the mix too while I can.

So skyloft.

* Skyloft.
Its a soft and sweet song that plays in the area itself of Skyward Sword. I'd imagine it would most likely be used for Smash Bros Wii U as well.

* The Sky.
The main overworld theme from skyward Sword, it's a very upbeat song that plays while you are riding on your loftwing in the game. I can definitely imagine them using this track in the Skyloft stage.

* Ballad of the Goddess.
Pretty much a no brainer I say, it's a great track and its also great to fight with I'd imagine. I definitely hope they use it in the game.

* Legend of Zelda main theme.
Also another no brainer, I'm fairly certain we will get another remix of this classic tune in the Skyloft stage. If not this one than probably in another unannounced Zelda stage.

* Kakariko Village.
I'm not exactly sure but I think we could probably get a remix of some kind of the Kakariko Village theme. Probably because you're fighting in the middle of a village from the Zelda series.

* Palace of the Winds or Cloud Tops.
I'm not sure if the music will be exclusives in the same way that the stages are. But if their not, I think we should definitely get a remix of one of Minish Caps sky areas. Palace of the Winds and Cloud Tops in particular would be great songs to have in the Skyloft Stage.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright the round is over!

We'll start grading the entries now! :D

Groose

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I'm just popping in to grade your entries. Because we've switched to links, I can actually come here without my page crashing between watching every embed.

If you guys have any questions or want me to elaborate more on my grading of your list, please send me a PM. I want to be as open as I can.

I'd also like to apologize: grading Battlefield was incredibly difficult because of the nature of the stage. I promise I'll do a better job from now on.

Oh, and since my name is Groose, I feel especially qualified to judge a SS stage... :p

Hold on... We have to explain our song selections now? Crap! Um...

[collapse=I guess we need to start with Battlefield.]
I find the best strategy is to look at past Smash titles. Smash Bros. is about legacy and each new version builds upon the previous. With this in mind, looking at past Battlefields, we can see what tracks make up its core essence.

Melee's Battlefield track is a remix of the Melee menu theme. However, Sakurai already provided us this theme, so we can be assured it's represented. The Multi Man Melee tracks in Melee are remixes of Melee's opening theme. The Battlefield tracks in Brawl are remixes of Brawl's main theme. So three essential themes to be on this stage.

Now, if you look back at Smash 64, there is a Battlefield-esque stage where you encounter the Fighting Polygon Team. To me, that's a fantastic choice to put in to rep the original. And don't forget the Smash 4 theme as history indicates that there'll be some version of it on there.

All in all, your list may look like this
Menu (Super Smash Bros. Melee) -Brawl Version-
E3 Trailer Music (SSB4)
Multi-Man Melee 1 (Melee) (Melee opening rep)
Battlefield (Brawl) (Brawl theme rep)
Fighting Polygon Team (SSB) (Smash64 rep)

And there you go! There are tracks representing each game as well as each song that has been utilized for Battlefield in the past. From here, it's personal taste, really. I swapped out Multi Man Melee 1 for the medley since I like Multi-Man Melee 2 more and it wasn't in Brawl plus it fits better with Battlefield Ver. 2. And I put in Battlefield (Melee) for nostalgic reasons. Of course, I know that was dumb, as I could have used that space for unsung heroes of the Smash music world. If you take a look at Captain Hotcakes's winning tracklist, it closely emulates our above list, plus his own tastes for excellent music. He chose a different Smash 64 track for the rep, but his list still captures the core essence of Battlefield and Smash.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Now, for Skyloft...]
This is a bit trickier, as there are 25 years of Zelda history to try to fit into one stage. Sakurai made it easier by giving us a track to start off with, Ballad of the Goddess. From there, well let's once again look to Smash's past for our muses.

Main Theme (Legend of Zelda)
This song has been in Smash Bros. since the N64 days, showing up faithfully on Hyrule Castle, Great Bay, and Bridge of Eldin. It seems like a no brainer for Skyloft to have the track this round.

Ocarina of Time Medley
Great Bay had Saria's Song as its alt track, lending it some history with Smash. Yet this track and many more were featured in Brawl's medley which seemed to capture the essence of Ocarina of Time. So I opted for this choice.

Great Temple/Temple
Who doesn't love the Temple theme? This tune wormed its way into our hearts since Melee and at the same time vindicated Zelda II as one of the classics. Personally, I enjoy the Great Temple/Temple more, so that's why I opted for that one. Either one works though and it serves as a neat reference to Project M! :p

Now, here's where it gets tricky. It is impossible to fit all the tracks that were in Brawl on this stage. However, we can take a look at the games represented...

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (pretty much just Temple, though)
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
Twilight Princess
(I didn't include Link's Awakening as it's a handheld game, though it technically would count thanks to the Super Game Boy.)

So, we got three of those taken care of. Let's move on to my other choices...

Title (Link's Crossbow Training)
Now, another thing I was considering was that the Zelda franchise had quite a few games after Twilight Princess. One of them, Link's Crossbow Training, doesn't seem to have much in the way of original music, being tied to Twilight Princess. However, the title theme hit it off with me pretty quickly and is a remix of the Hyrule Field theme of that game. It also appears to have bits of The Dark World from A Link to the Past in it as well. So, that drove me to include it. Plus, I imagine a lot of Link to the Past stuff will be in Link Between Worlds, so I chose to omit that game from my selections (though I thought about including one.)

Time Attack
Game Of Origin: Nintendo Land
In looking to the future of Zelda, I figured that there should be a Wii U rep. Other than the Wind Waker HD, the only other Zelda related game was Nintendo Land, yet the Battle Quest could technically count. None of the tracks seemed to match Skyloft or effectively represent Nintendo Land... except for Time Attack. I'm not sure if the Time Attack is a remix of a Zelda theme or not, but it seemed to be perfect for a battle throughout the city. Hence I chose it.

Skyloft
To be perfectly honest, my original list had a track from Wind Waker to rep its HD release in this spot. I had never played Skyward, so I didn't know any of the songs (except for the other two). However, the fact it had an HD release recently, Toon Link was returning as a fighter, and that Pirate Ship could be returning from Brawl had me change my mind at the last minute. So I stole this idea from BridgesWithTurtles (sorry!) Besides, what kind of stage would it be if it didn't include its own theme? Besides, Bridge of Eldin had three Twilight Princess tracks, so three Skyward Sword tracks is reasonable.

Groose's Theme
Do I honestly need an explanation? It's awesome. End of story.

So in the end, I traded off Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, and Wind Waker for Link's Crossbow Training, Nintendo Land, and more Skyloft.

EXTRA NOTE: Four Swords Adventures and Majora's Mask had only one song each and were both on the Pirate Ship, so I didn't put them in consideration...
[/collapse]

Phew! I hope I got these done in time before the cutoff...

You don't have to, but it may help us judges out and save you a point or two. Sometimes we can be on different wavelengths, but a brief exlpanation may stop me from taking off a point or two.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Hey guys, I'm just popping in to grade your entries. Because we've switched to links, I can actually come here without my page crashing between watching every embed.

If you guys have any questions or want me to elaborate more on my grading of your list, please send me a PM. I want to be as open as I can.

I'd also like to apologize: grading Battlefield was incredibly difficult because of the nature of the stage. I promise I'll do a better job from now on.

Oh, and since my name is Groose, I feel especially qualified to judge a SS stage... :p

You don't have to, but it may help us judges out and save you a point or two. Sometimes we can be on different wavelengths, but a brief exlpanation may stop me from taking off a point or two.
Ah, I see. In that case, I'm glad that I did that mad rush to explain my feelings. And I think your Battlefield grades were good and honest. Not everyone's taste will match up and that's the beauty of this contest: to share different points of view. So thank you for your feedback, good sir.

I just realized that I never thanked Swampasaur for his reassuring words and clarification on my statement. My apologies and thanks again. I eargerly await the results.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Prepare to be disappointed.

We're switching which version of the game we're taking stages from every time so...keep that in mind.
Ooh, so a 3DS stage this time. (crosses fingers for the Mario hybrid stage)

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hee ho! I just dropped by to thank the judges on my win and pegging my tracks down in the list of honor. Also, thank you everyone else for participating and congratulating me. All of your lists had their own merits. Battlefield is an interesting starting round, given we demonstrated that the SSB series really does have a lot to work with. Tabuu's theme was something no one else in the entire round listed, and that either gave me extra leverage or went shaky with a few judges. Hell, I even got a perfect score with one.

Oh, Zelda music. That's not my strong point. I look forward to future matches. :grin:

Top Bottom