• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl UK Social Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So i was sat thinking i need to get back into brawl and make the scene up its game again, i took to the idea of looking on the boards, catch up with everything and what do i find? nothing has changed!! Why are people crying about hosting tourneys god dam it?? Wheres the love? If heads actually put egos aside and organized say for example monthly nationals or even bi monthly then everyone would be happy and i wouldnt have to read though pages of tears!!

Now i apologize for the little rant and i no i didnt read though all the facts but as a player who wants to start playing pro again and finding everyone is still arguing over whos hosting what tourneys and whos not welcome and all that bolloxs its not appealing! Now if theres an actual problem with holding tourneys then i am welcome to hold some in my house if thats gonna stop cry *****es complaining about what games are played were! I Dont give a flying pan handle if brawl has stopped being hosted in london for say and why should anyone else? All it takes is a house or even a bloody youth club and you've made the day of a group of gamers... So like i was saying earlier, as a returning player, please guys stop crying about hosting, stop crying about who does all the work and actually think about it.. For the sake of a days organizing and lets be honest now, hosting a tourney really isn't that hard i mean seriously, its only as hard as you make it...
Now ya am ranting like a pro due to come back rage, its good to see its still alive though and its good to see the likes of smudge and darren still giving the north a name :) (Insult way!)
this man talks sense, sadly hardly anyone listens
oya darren, if this does go ahead, can i shotgun a spot at yours?

K.Mac

Smash Lord
Well, I know for a fact the following two things are true:

1) I could very easily get hold of a hall in order to organise a monthly / national

but

2) I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have many TVs. I'd have difficulty getting people housed too.

LOL

But I am serious. Village hall. My mum works there (organises most events) so it wouldn't be too hard for me to book it, but I would need a bucketload of interest and some dedication for you guys getting here.
:psycho:

It's about as big as that place yens hired in louth once ... got a kitchen and a shop nearby and everything. it's just the case of travel. ;) eh. eh.

**** YOU MELEE COMMUNITY. WE PLAY THE SUPERIOR GAME.

and @ pro - you're just saying that because FOX ISN'T HIGH TIER. yeah, I'm trolling you. get raked son. :bee:

Smudge

Smash Lord
There's a good few halls in Congleton I can run tournaments at, this isn;t what we need right now.

We need something big, something to reunite the north, things seem to have gone so downhill since Manchester tournaments and my haitus from Brawl last semptember, no-one seems interested.

Gamerbase in Manchester will definitely be coming back, I don't care what I have to do to get it, but it's coming back, we need a good stable base.

On top of that, if there is interest, I will run tournaments in my home time of Congleton, i'd need to make it worth it though. There'd be fun little things going on too that Dooan knows of =D

Come on guys, we need to get things back together, been waiting 2 months to get back into this game now, I'm not waiting any longer.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Tbh kyle, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I know where we could hold an event, my church has a conference center, we could rent out one of the rooms buuuuut when i asked my mom about having a few of you guys over sometime in the future she said that the house isnt big enough....even though i told her that ive stayed with like 8 other people in smaller houses so theres definete housing problems
Plus I have maybe 2 movable tvs...and theyre not huge
Also doesnt help that theres no other birmingham brawlers and if I host then there would be more people travelling further than if it was hosted up north

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Possible to have the venue overnight for sleepys? I was able to at my church hall that I used however I just used my house. I'm sure with a bit of persuasion you could do the same...hopefully.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
hmm i dunno becauese theres a meeting on friday nights till 10pm and then sunday morning they start getting the conference rooms ready for guests and first time visitors who come to the sunday morning service at about 7.30am

Jankai

Smash Journeyman
Give me numbers on who would attend a brawl only national and i will more than likely be able to hold something at my house, i have two TVs already and am sure i can fit another two, the back gardens gonna be getting sorted so i have space for chilling get a BBQ on the go and my house is big enough to host a prity big tourney... I Spoke to darren last night and were both happy to host(Not speaking for darren here btw, its just what got mentioned) So if i have a good average on numbers i could probs run a weekend event, housing shouldnt be a problem tbh i could probs hold about 6-10 people... I'll let this all run its course for now because i do realise i have just jumped into the deep end on all this, so i'll let my offer stand and wait until theres a clear space for organizing :)

Calzorz

Smash Lord
as much as the scene apreciates people trying to host in there house , we just cant rely on 6-10 people turnout in a house with 4 tvs to get the brawl scene going we need 1 tourny were the venue fee is like 5 pounds - 10pounds giving the new brawl scene organiser extra money (keeping the venue money) and buy some cheap tvs like the ones in london for about 10 each its like a donation to get the community going then we just need a venue were people can sleep in like a main hall section then have rooms with tables and chairs for tourny time

and smudge if you can get the gamerbase ones going again great but yet again only 4 tvs are being able to used there and u can basically only use it for 1 day so no 2 day event and with 4 tvs its limited to how many can turn up i rember it use to sruggle finishing on time with 20 turnout

SO the main this we can all do is choose a host in london and a host in nw/em and all chip in for a few cheap tvs or the hoster could put his own money for tvs and overtime get it back from extra venue fees or w/e we just need to get the brawl scene going in a decent venue with about 10-20 tvs once a month

The Filth

Smash Lord
Thank you calz man, that's the kind of support I'm neeeding right now.

I'm on the hunt for cheap smaller TVs which my first couple of paychecks are going on if need be.

For my thing, we got options for housing. If we can't be at the venue, there's a nearby field. I know you all love your camping, but how about camping in a field overnight eh?

If not I guess I can shoehorn a fair amount of people at mine... i'd prefer staying at the venue to make sure everything runs swimmingly though, and nothing goes missing. Actually on that note if something DOES go missing like at the london one I went to, there's going to be unpleasant things happenning until I've found that **** -.-

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Thank you calz man, that's the kind of support I'm neeeding right now.

I'm on the hunt for cheap smaller TVs which my first couple of paychecks are going on if need be.

For my thing, we got options for housing. If we can't be at the venue, there's a nearby field. I know you all love your camping, but how about camping in a field overnight eh?

If not I guess I can shoehorn a fair amount of people at mine... i'd prefer staying at the venue to make sure everything runs swimmingly though, and nothing goes missing. Actually on that note if something DOES go missing like at the london one I went to, there's going to be unpleasant things happenning until I've found that **** -.-
haha i get it, im no pikey XP
well anyway, liek ive said many a time, there are tv's in a shop real close to mine thats cancer research and they sell usual brawl size tv's for about a fiver, i also know theres a certain website that gives this crap away for free, but the person giving it away has to choose who they give it to, so a team effort on swarming those products could end up giving us a lot of free tv's

The_Rake

Smash Lord
hmm tbh i imagine those kinda things will go towards unprivelidged families so they can have them....as oposed to some teenagers/young adults putting on a tourney

Heartstring

Smash Legend
a-ha, if theyre THAT unpriveledged, we wont be on a computer will they?
also, who said we needs to tell them were hosting a tournament?
the way it works is that someone puts up an item, people 'bid' and give a reason why they should get it, and then the owner decided who it goes to.
so if we all bid separately, we have a bigger chance of winning the product, and ratehr than saying 'were using it fro a nerdy game tournamnet' we can say (this is my reason for stuff btw, make your own >.<)
'im currently in the process of leaving home and would like to get some basic luxuries because all of my money is being saved for rent, and anything i had spare was used in buying essential equipment'

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay, so the website is called:
http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=United Kingdom
you want to type in where you live in that search bar, click on the nearest one (a.k.a sheffield for darren) and then on the filter, remove all 'wanted, taken and recieved' offers and put 'TV/television/etc.' in the keywords bar, it turns out you can get some bigger ones too, but alot of the stuff on there is older tv's, but there are also bigger than 13" ones on there.
make note of the fact that YOU NEED A YAHOO E-MAIL ADDRESS and youll probably need to collect from the owners house, but seeing as its free, its a small bother.
also, feel free to use my reasoning behind asking for it. we wont need to swarm it or anything, jsut ask for stuff, you can get at least a few from that site.
enjoy ^_^

edit: you need to register and login before you can look at anything

Jankai

Smash Journeyman
as much as the scene apreciates people trying to host in there house , we just cant rely on 6-10 people turnout in a house with 4 tvs to get the brawl scene going we need 1 tourny were the venue fee is like 5 pounds - 10pounds giving the new brawl scene organiser extra money (keeping the venue money) and buy some cheap tvs like the ones in london for about 10 each its like a donation to get the community going then we just need a venue were people can sleep in like a main hall section then have rooms with tables and chairs for tourny time

and smudge if you can get the gamerbase ones going again great but yet again only 4 tvs are being able to used there and u can basically only use it for 1 day so no 2 day event and with 4 tvs its limited to how many can turn up i rember it use to sruggle finishing on time with 20 turnout

SO the main this we can all do is choose a host in london and a host in nw/em and all chip in for a few cheap tvs or the hoster could put his own money for tvs and overtime get it back from extra venue fees or w/e we just need to get the brawl scene going in a decent venue with about 10-20 tvs once a month
okay, so the website is called:
http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=United Kingdom
you want to type in where you live in that search bar, click on the nearest one (a.k.a sheffield for darren) and then on the filter, remove all 'wanted, taken and recieved' offers and put 'TV/television/etc.' in the keywords bar, it turns out you can get some bigger ones too, but alot of the stuff on there is older tv's, but there are also bigger than 13" ones on there.
make note of the fact that YOU NEED A YAHOO E-MAIL ADDRESS and youll probably need to collect from the owners house, but seeing as its free, its a small bother.
also, feel free to use my reasoning behind asking for it. we wont need to swarm it or anything, jsut ask for stuff, you can get at least a few from that site.
enjoy ^_^

edit: you need to register and login before you can look at anything
@ Golden

Free cycle is a very trusting site, gotten alot of stuff from there in the past, but you need to pick it up, its one of the only things people ask for on that site. Bit of a piss take but it is free at the end of the day :)

@Calz

I appreciate the enthusiasm calz, but what we need atm is less talk about what we should do and more people doing it! As an idea which completly goes against what i just said, holding smaller tourneys at a larger price would speed up the process in getting larger venues and more TVs for say.. I can have 6-10 people staying over for the night, but i can have about 20 people in the house. As a starting point events like this would help towards getting the bigger venues quicker :) Gamerbase is a bit **** from my experience of being there but holding a few more tourneys their for example at a higher cost like you said would work, but holding it at a venue like that would mean less profit for us because of the turn out and the actually venue cost..

All i'm saying at the end of the day mate is that we need to keep with the smaller tourneys atm and up the price. Atleast then we can keep playing brawl, keep the scene pushing though for a little bit longer to then find after all the traveling and hard work everyone has put forward, we have more money to play with and can actually hold bigger tourneys with more TVs :) Hard work and patience is the only way to push the scene to how we all want it :) we cant just instantly start spending large amount of money on it and expecting people to instantly pay large amounts to play in bigger venues, its something every player in the country(in the north/EM) has to work towards, otherwise it wont last and it'll just collapse..
Not having a go or anything, might seem like that but am not :) Speaking over the internet remember so reading something is different to hearing it person :p

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Free cycle is a very trusting site, gotten alot of stuff from there in the past, but you need to pick it up, its one of the only things people ask for on that site. Bit of a piss take but it is free at the end of the day
i did mention the need to pick up the product from the owner, i guess you jsut missed it.
i appreciate how generous these people are, and i should imagine if one of the tv's collected isnt useful for our purposes in can be donated to an electrical charity shop or something, return the kindness after all ^_^

Jankai

Smash Journeyman
i did mention the need to pick up the product from the owner, i guess you jsut missed it.
i appreciate how generous these people are, and i should imagine if one of the tv's collected isnt useful for our purposes in can be donated to an electrical charity shop or something, return the kindness after all ^_^
Yeah I Didnt read it fully just scanned over it :p Me and the cheadle lot have decided to destroy ourselves tonight, so were drinking Absinth and quiet alot of beer lol

If tellys need picking up i think us lot in cheadle could help towards that, just need to persuade solid to drive :D

Destrawr

Smash Cadet
So if this is planned and all could somebody make an AiB tourney page for it?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
andy, you need to add a ledgegrab limit to the ruleset, srsly, we really need one or a certain norfolk smasher who began maining meta knight will be scrooging all day
and yes, you can remove the question marks of the locations too, both me and shlurp are from norfolk, but neither from norwich

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
andy, you need to add a ledgegrab limit to the ruleset, srsly, we really need one or a certain norfolk smasher who began maining meta knight will be scrooging all day
and yes, you can remove the question marks of the locations too, both me and shlurp are from norfolk, but neither from norwich
its the tractor amirite? that fool!

Calzorz

Smash Lord
lol slurp if u honestly plank that bad to make gp want a ledge grab limit il have to show u that ul get mega punished for it when u vs my snake MUAHHAHAHAHAHAH BOOM

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol slurp if u honestly plank that bad to make gp want a ledge grab limit il have to show u that ul get mega punished for it when u vs my snake MUAHHAHAHAHAHAH BOOM
he don't atm, but theres nothing stoppnig him for using one nado then scrooging the next 8 mins

GP can you please keep your mouth shut? You play Ike and could never dream to beat a MetaKnight so please don't use that as an excuse for this rule.

Also may I add that no Metaknights around here will have the patience to do that? We ain't the US. There is only one person in this entire community who screws over the ledge grab limit, and that is me. So that is obviously a personal attack.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Tbh gp there are rules against it....called stalling

and no i wouldnt consider what kj does stalling, he spams his *** off even when hes grabbing the ledge so hes defo not stalling

K.Mac

Smash Lord
GP can you please keep your mouth shut? You play Ike and could never dream to beat a MetaKnight so please don't use that as an excuse for this rule.

Also may I add that no Metaknights around here will have the patience to do that? We ain't the US. There is only one person in this entire community who screws over the ledge grab limit, and that is me. So that is obviously a personal attack.
I plank ... a lot .... :/

does that mean I'm being attacked too? for getting so frustrated that I need to stall on the ledge for a bit to figure out what to do? >_<;

for the record my planking won me my matches against brado at GT2. lol.

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
it wasn't an attack on anyone,

its one of those "possible situtation" things, like the Sonic neutral B under the stage thing. no one does it, its just something that CAN be done

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
you can't do anything vs sonic's neutral b stall, planking is different >_>

it wasn't an attack on anyone,

its one of those "possible situtation" things, like the Sonic neutral B under the stage thing. no one does it, its just something that CAN be done
It actually was. We even discussed it in the chat, he actually apologised for it, but still continued to post it on here. I believe that it should not be banned until it is done.

@Kmac, you beat Brado with this strategy, I beat Cong and Kira, BIG difference.

Top Bottom