• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

Croco

Smash Lord
#13 and #14 are probably Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch,and it fits almost perfectly.
#17 might be Snake.. though chances are he is somewhere after #18.. Especially if everyone feels that there are 2-3 more 3rd party characters.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Snake is 17 because it goes by the Japanese name of his series in alphabetical order.
No, it doesn't, as the Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, and F-Zero icons demonstrate. It may go by Japanese name of series or character, chosen arbitrarily, but that leaves a possibility Snake will be somewhere past 18.

Revven

FrankerZ
I like this theory for a couple of reasons. 1. It hasn't been disproven yet 2. It's seemingly turning out right and 3. It gives me hope for some characters that I want! (Franchises anyway).

Here's hoping it sticks to what we think it is!

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
You know what I just realised? Ice Climber is Aisu Kuraimā in Japanese. That means it would go before Fire Emblem. Does that mean Ice Climbers are deconfirmed now?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Doggalina
If the "it's alphabetical by character name" thing was confirmed, then Icies would be deconfirmed. So, as of right now, it's up in the air.
I'd say that it's pretty likely it's in alphabetical order, seeing as how the whole list is practically filled out and it's all in alphabetical order so far. If it's not in alphabetical order, that's be a hech of a coincidence wouldn't it. And it's in alphabetical order by the name of the games, not the characters.

I'm convinced Ice Climbers are out. They were pretty cool and they'll be missed, but the icons don't lie. They're icon doesn't fit on the list, so they're out, IMO. I'd be willing to put money on it. I think that this icon theory is 100% true.

I think Balloon Fighter will be in this one. BF's icon would fit before Animal Crossing, and he almost got in Melee. It came down to IC or BF, and they ended up going with IC. I'll bet they cut IC and decided to give BF his 15 minutes of fame.

If you really think about, the odds of them making a new Ice Climber game ever don't seem likely. They were basically in Melee for shock value, and now that they've already been in a previous Smash game they don't really add that surprise element that they did before. The same could be said for G&W, he may be cut too. I'd like to see IC and G&W replace by Balloon Fighter and the Duck Hunt dog.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Animal crossing and yoshi kinda make that whole alphabetical thing wrong don't they...

Yoshi stats with a Y and I think Animal Crossing starts with a D

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Animal crossing and yoshi kinda make that whole alphabetical thing wrong don't they...

Yoshi stats with a Y and I think Animal Crossing starts with a D
They're also in order by the different Smash games. 1 to 11 are all the series that were first introduced in SSB64, in alphabetical order by their Japanese names. 12 to ?? are the series introduced in Melee, in alphabetical order by their Japanese names. And the rest are all the new series that are debuting in Brawl, in alphabetical order by their Japanese names.

So Ice Climber should be before Fire Emblem. Since it doesn't fit there, that means that Ice Climbers have apparently been removed from the game.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
And it's in alphabetical order by the name of the games, not the characters.
No, it's not. For example, Rinku is the character name - Zeruda no Densetsu is the name of the series. The alphabetical thing only works if you pick between character and series arbitrarily in order to make it work. There are a lot of other orders that would match the theory just as well.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not. For example, Rinku is the character name - Zeruda no Densetsu is the name of the series. The alphabetical thing only works if you pick between character and series arbitrarily in order to make it work. There are a lot of other orders that would match the theory just as well.
I never noticed that before, but you're right. Rinku means Link, not Zelda. The order might be completely random for all we know. The same goes for Star Fox and F-Zero, they used the Japanese names for Fox and Captain Falcon, not the Japanese names of the games (Sutā Fokkusu and Efu Zero). The order might not be completely random though. It's still probably alphabetical, but they probably randomly chose which name to use. If that's the case then both Ice Climers (under the name Popo, they would fit as 14 assuming G&W is still in) and Game & Watch (would fit in 13 assuming Ice Climbers is still in) still fit. Since it seems to be going in alphabetical order and in game order, the only other possible series that could be in spots 13 and 14 are new series being introduced in Brawl.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
What is this?
Someone is finally listening to logic and reason in this topic?
Changing things around so they fit into a false, predetermined mold is NOT a pattern.

Perhaps this thread may finally get the closing its deserved for so long...

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
What is this?
Changing things around so they fit into a false, predetermined mold is NOT a pattern.

Well, I'm not saying the pattern is gone all together, I'm just saying that the pattern is a lot less stable if you have to interchange the name of the series with the name of the character. If that is the real pattern though, no one is definitely out of the game. It's still a huge stretch to say that there is a pattern. This is all just speculation. Once we find out what 13 and 14 are, we'll know if there's a pattern or not.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
What is this?

I agree that these people are acting like a congregation lemmings following a "theory" that was disproved by its own creation, but this topic does not deserve to be closed. The fact that there is an order at all needs to be known, and the list is quite fun for building suspense.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I guess I stand corrected. I didn't realise that some of the icons are listed by the character name. I guess if IC is listed as Popo it could still fit. They're still obviously in alphabetical order. I don't know why some of them are listed by their game name and some are listed by their character name, but if they aren't in alphabetical order then that's the biggest coincidence I've ever seen. Anybody who think this topic should be closed is an idiot.

Chepe

Smash Lord
If the popular hunch is true, and tomorrow we get a Metal Gear related update to honor Hideo Kojima's birthday, then we might just get the Kojima Productions symbol's position at last, and that would answer many questions about where third party icons are placed...

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
If the popular hunch is true, and tomorrow we get a Metal Gear related update to honor Hideo Kojima's birthday, then we might just get the Kojima Productions symbol's position at last, and that would answer many questions about where third party icons are placed...
you make me sad. You probably just ruined our wonderful surprise...oh well..we'll just hope Sakurai is nice to Hideo and gives him a special birthday Brawl update. Right? :laugh:

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
Lets not forget Sakurai is still as unpredictible as ever.

For all we know tommorows update could just be How to Dash update.
But you never know ;)

Maybe there will be something MGS related.
Seeing how this week has been the Best ever.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha..RAIDEN FOR BRAWL! I think I'm the only one who thinks Raiden kicks equally as much *** as Snake.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I ruined the surprise? Me sorry! :(

I kinda thought everyone would have guessed it. I could always be wrong...

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
Guys... Guys...

Look. Just because some of the names are the character names, you guys freak out and claim this is all arbitrary. Not at all. Calling it the "Link Series" or "The Link games" is fairly common.

Now, all of you act like this list could have came up randomly. And of course, it could have. Annything can happen with chance. But let's talk about odds.

Leaving out the fact that the list is segmented by game, let's look at 1 through 11. The original series. We could name each one:

Donkī Kongu

Sutā Fokkusu
Fokkusu

Kabii
Hoshi no Kabii

Kyaputen Farukon
Efu Zero
F-ZERO

Metoroido
Aran Samus
Samus

Mother
Nessu
Maza

Pikachū
Poketto Monsutā

Rinku
Zeruda

Supa Mario
Mario

Yosshi

The ten franchises can be arranged a total of 3,628,800 different ways. If you were to pick one name out of each list and add it to an alphabetized list, you would get 864 alphabetized lists

If Sakurai simply made a random ordering, then, his chances were 864/3628800, or .00024%. Actually, less than that, due to the fact that some name choices wouldn't change the ordering (Pikachu and Pokketo is a dead choice, since choosing either over the other wouldn't change the franchise's position, and is Samusu or Aran Samusu is chosen for Metorid, there is no difference between Maza and Mother). So the actual odds are even less than .00012% (Divide by half for the Pikachu/Pokketo thing, and factor in the myriad other collapsing branches).

And that, again, does't even account for anything past 11. You guys arguing against this have probability squarely against you.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Guys... Guys...

Look. Just because some of the names are the character names, you guys freak out and claim this is all arbitrary. Not at all. Calling it the "Link Series" or "The Link games" is fairly common.

Yes, but that's not the official name of the series. And I don't really hear anyone calling it the "Link Series"....it's always been Zelda.

It doesn't make sense logically to call it the "Link Series" while almost all of the other ones have the official name of the franchise as the title.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
Yes, but that's not the official name of the series. And I don't really hear anyone calling it the "Link Series"....it's always been Zelda.

It doesn't make sense logically to call it the "Link Series" while almost all of the other ones have the official name of the franchise as the title.
Since this aspect isn't official, but a simple naming convention used by the webmaster, it doesn't have to be picture perfect. It makes some small sense, to where I can see where the guy came up with it.

jimmysilverims said:
Yep, the order's totally random.
...did you not read what I just wrote? The odds of it being completely random are less than .00012%.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
You guys arguing against this have probability squarely against you.
I'm fairly confident that you're right, and it isn't completely random. There's obviously no way of knowing for sure, but in all likelieness, this list does hold up fairly well.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
So Ice Climbers is confirmed at 14, which means 13 pretty much has to be Mr. Game and Watch.

Croco

Smash Lord
So Ice Climbers is confirmed at 14, which means 13 pretty much has to be Mr. Game and Watch.
yep.. I even mentioned that like a month ago.
My theory was correct.
It's Smash Brothers 64.. then the 3 games series introduced in Melee.. and finally the ones for Brawl..
Just check many MANY pages back.. you might find it that I posted it first. lol

Top Bottom