• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
What a vague hint. The only thing there about the character is that he has problems KOing. Everything else is people response to the character.

Fun to play? C'mon, if it wasn't fun we wouldn't choose it! Every character can be fun! Dedicated? Each character has a fan base around it. We know there aren't many top tier players that choose it, but come on, every extremely good character has already been discussed. Yeah, there is Wario and Lucario there, but those don't have problems killing. Lucario? Yeah, it "may" be a bit harder when you are at 0%, but you still have 3 smashes, Dair, Bair, Uair, Aura Sphere, etc.

Characters that people thought it had potential? Now I think of Lucas, ZSS and Pit. Sonic never was thought that had potential. Of those, Lucas was quickly forgotten, but not because he couldn't KO good.

ZSS or PIT? I'm staying with Pit because it has a strong fan base that has not only discovered many useful AT, but there are some awesome Pits around there that had good positions in tournaments.

:034:

Smash Hero
Uhm... This is incredibly vague.

People who were thought to have potential early on in the game but sort of disappointed:

- Pit
- ZSS
- Lucas
- Olimar
- Luigi

Who of these were thought to have problem KO'ing:

- Pit
- ZSS

Yeah...

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character.
Mario is fun(until you're being CG'd) and Mario Mainers are quite dedicated

There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases).
Boss8 (Boss)
University Of Maryland
3rd out of 65 Players

Chudat Biweekly
5th out of 65 Players

Cyberden
9th out of 49 Players

Critical Hit 3
13th out of 111 Players

When the game first came out, many people thought the character had much potential but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good.
before the game came out in US Green Mario told me Mario was amazing, also Mario has 3 KO moves(with the exception of gimping) and they all depend on the situation

However, those people have been proved wrong with time. Patient users can make this character better than most people expected.
Mario demands patience considering the entire match you are waiting for a mistake to happen

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
fsmash much?

It's sheik. People play pit and he's still mediocre as far as tourney placement goes.
As much as I'd like to say this is Sheik, if you look back to the first week of the game, Sheik's analysis goes something like this:

"Hey, have you tried Sheik yet?"
"Yeah, her slap sucks now"
"Oh. So how does she kill?"
"No idea"
"Bottom tier, next"

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No, Peach was thought to be amazing because of Gimpyfish's early impressions on Brawl.

Same goes for Mario.

People easily assumed Pit and ZZS (as well as MK) were going to be great characters just by how they looked and appeared in the trailers. No one cared about Wario heh.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
it has to be pit or zss but the "fun to play part" makes me want to say zss but that's personal preference. the hints do get harder and harder... last time the hint was so hard almost nobody got it right! lol.

back on topic I think it's zss. pit doesn't have many ways to "work around it" and zss does have a few ways to kill people at okay percentage.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't Sonic assumed to be high tier material, before the game came out?
Off of initial impressions from the demo of the game (before it was finalized), Sonic (as well as a couple of other characters including Mario) seemed very, very good. Like, Melee fox minus Drillshining good.

But upon the game's release, he was pretty much left by the wayside, as people saw that his potential in the final version of the game had been severely hampered.

Pit really seems the only character that blatantly fits here. I mean, Pit was ranted about for the first few weeks as "The only character that can match up to the awesome power of Metaknight". (No, seriously. Someone even tried to add this to the Pit/MK smashwiki pages.) And detractors of Pit would pretty much keep coming back to the same issue: He can't kill that well (also, his up B is gimpable, but his recovery is good enough without it). The real issue with his killing is not lack of moves that kill at acceptable percentages, but lack of moves that kill at acceptable percentages and can be comboed into. I mean, his kill moves are Fsmash, Dsmash, and Bair. His combo potential primarily comes from being in the air and hitting with Nairs and Uairs, using multiple jumps to chase. The problem comes in when you realize that a character who really wants to be aerially based can't really kill unless he's on the ground (except with bair, but with the way that multijumps turn you around, it's hard to land unless you RAR them).

Snail

Smash Lord
I want to do something different and weird for the hint this time, because I feel like screwing with people, but I can't think of what to do for Kirby thats different. Anybody have suggestions?

Also, I'll throw my two cents in for Kirby later. I loved the little guy for awhile, but I've kinda become jaded to him recently.
Guys, don't forget! He's trying to fool us! He even edited the post he said this in >:o Don't guess the obvious!

This may be about Kirby's hint, but since that was never posted, I bet the "screwing with people"-concept carried over to this one :D

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
I may have said this before but I'm going with sonic.

I won't spend time going into how the hint could relate to him, since that is pretty well documented (low KO power, small dedicated ravening player base).

I will just say that all you Pit players who think he has trouble KOing, with his three KO moves and a spike, please come play sonic with his two KO moves and no stage spike.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
What a vague hint. The only thing there about the character is that he has problems KOing. Everything else is people response to the character.

Fun to play? C'mon, if it wasn't fun we wouldn't choose it! Every character can be fun! Dedicated? Each character has a fan base around it. We know there aren't many top tier players that choose it, but come on, every extremely good character has already been discussed. Yeah, there is Wario and Lucario there, but those don't have problems killing. Lucario? Yeah, it "may" be a bit harder when you are at 0%, but you still have 3 smashes, Dair, Bair, Uair, Aura Sphere, etc.
I agree with this fine person.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I will just say that all you Pit players who think he has trouble KOing, with his three KO moves and a spike, please come play sonic with his two KO moves and no stage spike.
?_?

But... Sonic has more KO moves than two. B-air, F-smash, D-smash are his strongest, in conjunction with his "higher %"/ situational KO moves like N-air, F-air, U-air, D-air (er... should have just said aerials), ASC, and U-throw/B-throw.

And I actually perform stage spikes often. He has no 'meteor' attack

:laugh: my previous statement about Sonic mains still stands.
----------------

I may have just been fighting competent Peach players, but they don't seem to have too much trouble KO'ing me `.`;

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
No, Peach was thought to be amazing because of Gimpyfish's early impressions on Brawl.

Same goes for Mario.

People easily assumed Pit and ZZS (as well as MK) were going to be great characters just by how they looked and appeared in the trailers. No one cared about Wario heh.
SP's hint says: "When the game first came out, many people thought the character had much potential but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good."

I reallllly doubt that that is referring to Gimpy's E4All impressions. Did people even take those seriously? Anyways, when the game first came out the general consensus was that she was pretty suck; with Vidjo, Cort, and Yuna backing that statement up.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I may have said this before but I'm going with sonic.

I won't spend time going into how the hint could relate to him, since that is pretty well documented (low KO power, small dedicated ravening player base).

And so the sonic users are shamed again.

Sonic has three KO moves.

Bair, Dsmash, Fsmash which kill at around 120% (110 at the edge of the stage).

Let alone his gimping ability (which gives even Rob a tough time) or his Uair setups (which can kill some characters at around 93%)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I could make a lot of money from this thread....

>_>...

:)

Nestec

Smash Ace
Hmm, this hint seems to have the most possible options. Probably because it's so vague. >_<

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I could make a lot of money from this thread....

>_>...

:)
Then it's not Pit.

I'm sure SamuraiPanda told Hylian to post that so as to give us another hint (because the actual one doesn't say crap lol).

So there...it's NOT Pit!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Unless thats what he wants us to think. the past 2 real hints have had SBR or friends of SBR people talking. he could be setting us up with "hints" like this to stab us in the back later. just my opinion. Ill go for pit off of that just because it is better then the hint itself lol.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people complain when the hint is vague. Isn't that the point of the hint? Ugh, I edited one part because it seems that was unclear, but I hope it doesn't make the hint too easy now. If it does, then you guys have nobody but yourselves to blame for that.

Btw, its actually Mewtwo this week. I'm surprised nobody guessed him. 'Cept Dazwa, of course.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people complain when the hint is vague. Isn't that the point of the hint? Ugh, I might edit it to add one more detail later on, if people still have trouble guessing it.

Btw, its actually Mewtwo this week. I'm surprised nobody guessed him. 'Cept Dazwa, of course.
When are you gonna do Pichu?

:confused:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character. There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases). When the game first came out, many people thought the character had much potential but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good. However, those people have been proved wrong with time. Patient users can make this character better than most people expected.

Can you guess this week's character?

Prolly not Lucario. By "aren't too many top players," they probably mean none. Otherwise, Luc fits perfectly. Due to the twisted logic they have been known to take, they may really mean what they say, so it might actually be Lucario, after all.

Might be Pit, too. Pit mains are usually quite dedicated. People definitely thought he had potential at the beginning of the game, as well. Unfortunately, people EXPECT Pit users to be patient and spam arrows, and thus their expectations are pretty darn high. <.<

Can't be Sheik. People thought she was nerfed to hell and back and was utter crap when Brawl came out. Sure, Sheik mains are dedicated to her, but they're so few in number and rarely speak out. Patience doesn't suit her, either.

Can't be Sonic either. People always thought he was crap. He has a dedicated fanbase, but patience really doesn't suit him, either.

Zamus, probably not. She has problems KOing, but she doesn't wear patience well, and she doesn't exactly place too high.

In other words, it's between Pit and Lucario. Pit doesn't place as high as Lucario, though, and his fans, while dedicated, aren't as outspoken as Lucario fans are. The Lucario boards are brimming with fun and dedication to the character, though, and are apparently recognized throughout the site. Pit probably wouldn't be called out for having a dedicated fanbase. Also, Pit's difficulty in KOing really isn't as apparent as it is in Lucario. The only problem? Our "representative" top smashers aren't exactly known for their patience, although a simple analasys of the character itself would tell you that they should be.

Lucario's #19. I'm sure of it now.

Top Bottom