• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

The Star King

Smash Hero
3 correct guess streak....didn't guess anything for Bowser or Kirby.

Rofl, people are not guessing Sheik, and I'm certain it's her. I can't believe people forgot about her. The description fits her perfectly. Many people think she's fun to play with, but not many top players use her. When the game first came out, peope thought that she was good in most aspects, but thought that is was too hard to kill with her and the would make her low. However people who are dedicated to Sheik have shown again and again that Sheik may be better than most expected. To kill, some use Sheik to rack up damage, then change into Zelda to finish them off, like Sakurai originally intended (didn't quite work out in Melee :laugh:) Others rely on edgeguarding or waiting for an opening to hit with an up-smash.
Some even like to use Vanish to kill (like Panda's homeboy Ankoku :)). Like all good players, Sheik mains have found ways to overcome Sheik's weaknesses.

Roager

Smash Ace
Mario? Fun cuz cape, hard to KO with cuz his kill moves get predictable/diminished. Lots of potential cuz cape and spike, devoted fanbase. Seems to fit well to me.

Martial

Smash Apprentice
No, it's actually Pichu. Mewtwo doesn't have trouble killing.
He does in Brawl.

Anyways, the only reason that it isn't Shiek, is because literally no one thought that she had potential when Brawl first came out. People were too busy BAWWWing about the nerfs.

The Star King

Smash Hero
He does in Brawl.

Anyways, the only reason that it isn't Shiek, is because literally no one thought that she had potential when Brawl first came out. People were too busy BAWWWing about the nerfs.
People did think she has potential...as in, being hard to kill with was her only weakness. Everything else about her was fine...

Mario? Fun cuz cape, hard to KO with cuz his kill moves get predictable/diminished. Lots of potential cuz cape and spike, devoted fanbase. Seems to fit well to me.
People didn't really think that Mario's lack of kill moves would hold him down, because it's not as bad as for Sheik.

infomon

Smash Scientist
There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases).
Although I'm excited for a Sonic discussion.. I think the bolded text here rules that out. Most people who main Sonic are absolutely terrible with him, IMO; there's never been a shortage of Sonic players. Serious Sonic players, on the other hand...

This part of the hint suggests Yoshi, Peach, or Shiek more than Sonic or Pit.

When the game first came out, many people thought the character had much potential but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good.
I'd like to think that many people thought Sonic had potential aside from his KO difficulty... but I think they were all just Sonic fanboys hoping beyond belief that he's somehow a good character. Everyone else was saying "LOL Sonic's bottom tier". This part of the hint, to me, suggests Shiek or maybe Pit.

Also, patient users can make this character better than most people expected.
What the heck does this mean?? This completely throws me off. I could easily answer Sonic to this, since his matches all last forever even when a really good Sonic is facing a mediocre opponent. And mastering Sonic's moveset is a long painful road IMO.

It could also mean Pit, if you're being very campy and spammy, as Pits are wont :o And I'm sure the Shiek camp could argue along a similar line?

I dunno, I've never really seen anyone care for Shiek in Brawl.

What about Fox? I feel like all the same arguments could work for him as well :urg:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Dazwa practically gave you all the answer on a silver platter. I don't get whats so hard to understand.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
lol its not fox(even if i want it to be-.-)
why?

This character is definitely a fun one to play, and those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character.well,this par its true

There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases).i know a few top layer who use fox,yeah,he does place quite high in tourneys

When the game first came out, many people thought the character had much potential but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good.this part dosent match,fox can KO pretty easy(at least 80-100%),but everyone though fox would be top tier as hes been scince 64

However, those people have been proved wrong with time as the people who play the character have proven the character can definitely get KOs. Also, patient users can make this character better than most people expected.its not exactly unexpected if someone gets beaten by fox

it comes pretty close but,no,not fox

Mmac

Smash Lord
I thought Sonic was well received at the beginning due to the Raw Speed, and his Spin Dash Combos. I saw more love than hate back in the day

Dazwa practically gave you all the answer on a silver platter. I don't get whats so hard to understand.
Madness! I refuse to believe the truth!

The Star King

Smash Hero
It could also mean Pit, if you're being very campy and spammy, as Pits are wont :o And I'm sure the Shiek camp could argue along a similar line?
What Sheik camp? You're the third person to talk about why it could be her. Nobody even considered her until I mentioned her, so maybe I'm wrong, because usually other people are accurate. However, I had a gut feeling that it was Sheik, as well as Pikachu, Marth, and... C. Falcon being the manliest. :laugh: Those are the only characters I guessed for, so maybe this will break my streak? I hope not. *Bribes Backroom to switch discussion to Sheik instead of Mewtwo*

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i'm uh gonna uh think uh maybe just yoshi.. yeah yoshi it's yoshi.... YOSHI YOSHI YOSHI XD 100% sure

Grunt

Smash Master
everyone is right, yet no one is right.
I'm sure they'll pick the character out of a bin of characters that could possibly fit the bill.
besides, when is "They're Fun to play as" a hint?

AlexX

Smash Ace
besides, when is "They're Fun to play as" a hint?
I know they used it for the Dedede hint. Probably used it in a couple others, too. I agree it's a pretty subjective comment to make, though.

On a totally unrelated note, we've now hit 400 pages with this topic... wonder how high it'll reach by the time they're done. Probably about 800 or so since they're about halfway done now.

Trillion

Smash Ace
"This character is definitely a fun one to play"(sonic, although granted every character can be thought of as fun.)

"those who play this character seem quite dedicated to the character." (dnes, _X_, tenki, terios, boxob etc.)

There aren't too many top players who use this character, but those who decide to main the character can generally use the character well, and you'll see a couple placing fairly high in tournaments (if not much higher, in some cases). (very few top sonics. somehow many of them place in the top 10 inn tourneys, and many reports of 3rd even.)

When the game first came out, many of the top players thought the character had much potential (massive speed = potential, we still had melee in mind, where speed always = win)

but the character's difficulty KO'ing was going to hold the character back from being too good. (sonic has almost NO priority on almost EVERY attack. getting KO's was insane and many matches for lots of potential sonics would involve kills at 250% + )

However, those people have been proved wrong with time as the people who play the character have proven the character can definitely get KOs. Also, patient users can make this character better than most people expected. (patience and practice lead to a sonic that is highly above many's expectations and KO combinations and methods are being thought of.)

SONIC!!

Tenki

Smash Hero
LOL, I guess its been a while since youve been to the sonic boards eh?
lol Boxob was good though ;3

anyway,

I'm gonna laugh when they decide to do PT as separate characters and this week is Squirtle.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Also, patient users can make this character better than most people expected.

This hint applies to Pit, but not Sonic. Pit has a defensive playstyle, and a player who is patient can use his arrows and Angel-Ring to their maximum potential. Sonic on the other hand, must play aggresively. Patience requires you to be taking your time, and Sonic cannot do that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This hint applies to Pit, but not Sonic. Pit has a defensive playstyle, and a player who is patient can use his arrows and Angel-Ring to their maximum potential. Sonic on the other hand, must play aggresively. Patience requires you to be taking your time, and Sonic cannot do that.
I'd just like to point out that it's considerably harder to win quickly as Sonic than it has been for me with any other character. It gets on my nerves sometimes that when I choose Falcon or Ike against a crappy player, I can get 1-2minute rounds, even if I die once or twice. But then I choose Sonic and pull off a 3stock but the game lasts from 2:30-4 minutes.

You people who think that just because Sonic's a fast character that patience has nothing to do with it... `.`;
Also, you can't just be totally aggressive, otherwise you run into high priority moves that you shouldn't be getting hit by otherwise.

PS.

Go go Squirtle.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Let me put it this way, guys:

Mewtwo is a hell of a lot of fun to play, and when people first started playing him, his combos and unique qualities all seemed to be very good, but people noticed at first that he couldn't really KO easily. But if you just stuck it out and waited long enough, you'd be able to KO. The thing is, not many people figured this out, but a few people just figured that if you waited long enough, the opportunity to KO would eventually arise.

Tenki: it could be Squirtle, but it's not.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks mc-killa, you've given good reasons why it's not Fox.

What Sheik camp? You're the third person to talk about why it could be her. Nobody even considered her until I mentioned her, so maybe I'm wrong, because usually other people are accurate. However, I had a gut feeling that it was Sheik, as well as Pikachu, Marth, and... C. Falcon being the manliest. :laugh: Those are the only characters I guessed for, so maybe this will break my streak? I hope not. *Bribes Backroom to switch discussion to Sheik instead of Mewtwo*
Yes, the only reason I considered Sheik at all for this is because you brought her up :) I don't know how Sheik is played, but I meant to indicate that maybe patient users could be dodgy, campy, spammy with those freaking needles. but.... I don't see why that would be a much better Sheik than one who's fairly aggressive.

This week is actually Mewtwo! Yes!

Top Bottom