• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Sliq

Smash Master
I would say its DK...
He's good against MK, has good tilts/smashes/arials(kind of), and he's easily punishable if you miss.
But nobody thinks he's bad or underrated. Most people have come to the consensus that he is good.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sliq, when did you realize you were fucking awesome?
Because he's teaching people to censor bypass, which will probably get them banned, and completely ignores a question completely even though that question unanswered is probably the sole reason why this week's character is probably not that character in the first place!

Awesome! :psycho:

Sliq

Smash Master
Because he's teaching people to censor bypass, which will probably get them banned, and completely ignores a question completely even though that question unanswered is probably the sole reason why this week's character is probably not that character in the first place!

Awesome! :psycho:
Censor bypass is a 2 point offense. You'd have to get modded for it 3 times to be banned. Furthermore, what is this question that I left unanswered?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Cleared up some grammatical confusion in the hint.

EDIT: Holy hell, there has been quite a bit of debate on the issue. I actually find that pretty funny. Maybe I should've left it the way it is...
D'oh!

You're crazy, luigi's moves are NOT punishable in the slightest
I forgot to double check that one. But it doesn't matter anyways... I was among the people who did the "wrong" reading of SamuraiPanda's original hint.

Umm... hurk, now I gotta rethink this entirely.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Bowser vs Meta is wierd, it's kinda like DK vs Meta.
IF you can make it about spacing, well, then Meta will still win lololol.
But Ftilt goes through Meta's B, and if you can keep pressure on the Meta and force him to space bad, up-b out of shield will do good against his aerials.
I actually know very little about this matchup.
Ne1else? :/

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
Finally someone else who thinks Bowser can go toe to toe with Meta. He may be slow, but his attack speed is fast.

Sliq

Smash Master
As I previously posted:

Also, Bowser does well against MK because if Bowser gets a grab around 100%, Metaknight will ALWAYS die. It's all about the grab release. Land the grab, let MK break out, and down tilt. You should never really use down tilt other than after a grab release, and only to KO, so it should be fresh, and should KO. Furthermore, you can re-grab MK after both a break out AND a jump breakout, so you can let him break out and re-grab, forcing him closer to the edge of the stage, making it easier to KO.

Bowser's f-tilt goes through the tornado, and he is the heaviest in the game, so takes a lot of damage to KO. Up b out of shield punishes all mis-spaced aerials and some ground moves, albeit ground moves should be shield dropped to f tilt or shield grabbed, but up b is still an option.

Bowser's f smash can be uses to parry glide attacks because of his head cock animation, and kills at low percents. Furthermore, Bowser's up air will kill MK at around 60% before the hit, dependent on stage position. Furthermore, Bowser's down b can be used for over zealous shuttle loopers and KO's at low *** percents.

I'd still say the advantage is in MK's favor, but its not completely one sided, as is a lot of MK matches. The fact that Bowser has a guaranteed KO setup on MK at low percents is his main advantage, and the fact that Bowser can CG MK is also a plus.

cutter

Smash Champion
In the hint where it says "specials are essential" it must be referring to Bowser's Side B and Up B (assuming the character is Bowser)

Up B is just pure amazingness OOS (I agree totally with that Sliq) and Side B is not only a powerful suicide but it does a ****load of damage for a grab. Besides, landing a Bowsercide fits the "used to surprise" part of the hint. :)

Popertop

Smash Champion
One time I was playing a Lucas player on Lylat, I got a side-B at Zero then inf jumped off the platform on the right and got him with another right after it was soo sweet. He was like "You can chain those??!!!!?!?"

Mmac

Smash Lord
Also, Bowser does well against MK because if Bowser gets a grab around 100%, Metaknight will ALWAYS die. It's all about the grab release. Land the grab, let MK break out, and down tilt. You should never really use down tilt other than after a grab release, and only to KO, so it should be fresh, and should KO. Furthermore, you can re-grab MK after both a break out AND a jump breakout, so you can let him break out and re-grab, forcing him closer to the edge of the stage, making it easier to KO.

Bowser's f-tilt goes through the tornado, and he is the heaviest in the game, so takes a lot of damage to KO. Up b out of shield punishes all mis-spaced aerials and some ground moves, albeit ground moves should be shield dropped to f tilt or shield grabbed, but up b is still an option.

Bowser's f smash can be uses to parry glide attacks because of his head cock animation, and kills at low percents. Furthermore, Bowser's up air will kill MK at around 60% before the hit, dependent on stage position. Furthermore, Bowser's down b can be used for over zealous shuttle loopers and KO's at low *** percents.

I'd still say the advantage is in MK's favor, but its not completely one sided, as is a lot of MK matches. The fact that Bowser has a guaranteed KO setup on MK at low percents is his main advantage, and the fact that Bowser can CG MK is also a plus.
Hmmm.... Interesting, I didn't even know that Bowser had a chaingrab on MetaKnight. I thought it was just a Yoshi/ZSS thing. It seems like it's similar to Yoshi's way of dealing with MetaKnight, except Yoshi has more options to trade in with Raw Power. Interesting that Ftilt > Tornado, but what about a SH Fair?

Seems reasonable enough, but I would imagine that you would have big problems if MetaKnight knocks you into the air

Grunt

Smash Master
Hey guise, I think it's Snake.
He like pons MK and spams effective Nades and c4 and Syphur.
also, RPG>tornado

Quietdrive

Smash Rookie
It's Olimar...

and my god you could not be more wrong if you say Snake. If you completely ignore the fact that Snake has already been done, you can't ignore the part of the hint that says few players see this characters potential.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
It's Olimar...

and my god you could not be more wrong if you say Snake. If you completely ignore the fact that Snake has already been done, you can't ignore the part of the hint that says few players see this characters potential.
Noob got trolled.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Every week, no matter what the hint is, Yoshi mains say it's Yoshi. I really hope they do Yoshi so all the Yoshi mains can chill out and finally be happy that they picked their character, however this one is starting to look like it is Boozer.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Every week, no matter what the hint is, Yoshi mains say it's Yoshi. I really hope they do Yoshi so all the Yoshi mains can chill out and finally be happy that they picked their character, however this one is starting to look like it is Boozer.
It's STARTING to look like Bowser? Where the **** have you been?

Snail

Smash Lord
It's Olimar...

Yeah because Olimar's smashes are sooooooo easily punishable. And everyone knows he has no potential! And on top of that, he does well against Meta Knight!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5085914&postcount=5115

BBQ°

Smash Champion
You guys are dumb. Don't you know Bowser was the 7th character that was discussed on here? Jeez learn to read.

No just kidding.

This was my original guess to the hint, but now that Samurai Panda fixed the grammar confusion, I'm leaning more towards Bowser.

The only thing I don't agree with is that Yoshi does worse in the defensive position than Bowser does.

Finally, a challenging hint. This hint could be many characters, but I'm thinking it's Yoshi this time.

I hate how so many people disrespect Yoshi. "HE SUX" "BOTTOM TIRE LOL". He isn't half bad if you get to know him. Sure, a lot of other characters are better than he is, but he doesn't suck. Some Yoshi mains, such as Chaco and Bigman, are finding and learning a lot of Yoshi techs. Dragonic Reverse is a technique that basically allows Yoshi to wavedash - a characteristic that no other character in the game has.

I usually lurk the Yoshi boards because I like the community there, and I've seen the match-up post about Metaknight. Surprisingly, this match-up is fairly close, being about 55:45 in MK's favor. I don’t think Metaknight is going to worry about Yoshi and start thinking of counter tactics, but the Yoshi board will, giving them an advantage and hopefully making the match-up neutral or maybe in Yoshi’s favor.

Yoshi’s special moves appear to be made of crap at first, but did you know that Yoshi’s down-b is actually one of his best killing moves? His neutral b on the edge forces opponents to DI towards the stage, which leaves them open to get hit by a dair which does over 9000 damage. His up-b is one of the only few projectiles that can be controlled, it does decent damage, and is easily spammed. You can also ledge stall with this move while the opponent has to worry about not getting hit by the eggs. Although his up-b is bottom tier in terms of recovery, he still gains distance with it, maybe more or about the same distance as olimar’s up-b. In my opinion, side-b is his worst special, but it can be a move to mix up his ground game, and it has decent priority from what I’ve heard.

Being in a defensive position for Yoshi is why he is considered so bad. He’s got a terribly slow roll dodge, he can’t up-smash out of a shield, and he can’t jump out of his shield. Basically, when Yoshi is put into a defensive position, he has the worst options in the game. Why did Sakurai do this? Probably to “balance” out the fact that Yoshi’s shield does not shrink. But still, I’m sure any Yoshi main would rather prefer a normal shield than an egg shield.

Death if edgeguarded? Yes, footstool jump eats Yoshi’s only real recovery, but a good Yoshi will know how to avoid footstools. I actually find that Yoshi’s recovery is one of the harder ones to gimp because he has a lot of direction control and good “gtfo” aerial attacks.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Sounds like bowser to me. Great tilts, important specials, gimpable recovery, all points seem to be aimed at him.

Popertop

Smash Champion
You guys are dumb. Don't you know Bowser was the 7th character that was discussed on here? Jeez learn to read.

No just kidding.

This was my original guess to the hint, but now that Samurai Panda fixed the grammar confusion, I'm leaning more towards Bowser.

The only thing I don't agree with is that Yoshi does worse in the defensive position than Bowser does.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

Bowser's spot dodge is bad.
Yoshi's isn't.
Bowser gets combo'ed horrendously.
Yoshi doesn't.
Bowser's roll is punishable.
Yoshi's is to a lesser extent.
Bowser gets shield poked like theres no tomorrow.
Yoshi doesn't, but he doesn't get to jump out of shield or do some other fancy stuff.
Bowser's aerials all leave him open somewhere. Even his neutral air. ;.;
Yoshi's aerials cover him pretty well.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I'm saying odds are: Bowser > Yoshi > Ike

Still saying Yoshi though, just to get people upset ;)

Top Bottom