• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm saying odds are: Bowser > Yoshi > Ike

Still saying Yoshi though, just to get people upset ;)
Ike's specials are not good, his u tilt is good, all the others are meh, and his potential is pretty much known. a hint for Ike would prolly mention his huge inability to deal with projectiles.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

Bowser's spot dodge is bad.
Yoshi's isn't.
Bowser gets combo'ed horrendously.
Yoshi doesn't.
Bowser's roll is punishable.
Yoshi's is to a lesser extent.
Bowser gets shield poked like theres no tomorrow.
Yoshi doesn't, but he doesn't get to jump out of shield or do some other fancy stuff.
Bowser's aerials all leave him open somewhere. Even his neutral air. ;.;
Yoshi's aerials cover him pretty well.
I see.

I was mainly referring to Yoshi's shield and roll dodge, but you covered the entirety of Bowser's defensive options.

I think it's Bowser, but with a 30% chance it's Yoshi.

Mmac

Smash Lord
The point of the post was actually to show there is absolutely no chance of it being Ike, unless the BRoomers seriously think Eruption, Quickdraw, and counter have good uses.
Well a simultaneous Jump+Eruption combo actually works very well as an Anti-Air attack....

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well a simultaneous Jump+Eruption combo actually works very well as an Anti-Air attack....
Assuming the opponent is a moron and runs into it. I used to main Ike, I understand the mindset behind him, and trust me, if you're close enough, when they start up eruption (in the air), you can punish it even if they didn't charge it. And there's ending lag, so even it got the opponent to gtfo, they'll be right back in your face very quickly.

It's good for killing MK at ghey damages. That's it.

Mmac

Smash Lord
No, I didn't say Eruption in the air. If you press Jump and B at the same time, you'll do a "Jumping Eruption" (Sounds so dirty >_>) that finishes at the peak of your jump. It's actually works quite well.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
its DK. good vs MK and relatively vs Snake, Recovery is gimpable if the perosn is good at ledgeguarding, specials are all useful (up b has invincibility frames, side b used to set up neutral b). his dair, fair are both punishable, but his bair and uair are easily kill moves. hes big, easy to hit, and should always be on the offensive.

lastly, ftilt and dtilt ****

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
its DK. good vs MK and relatively vs Snake, Recovery is gimpable if the perosn is good at ledgeguarding, specials are all useful (up b has invincibility frames, side b used to set up neutral b). his dair, fair are both punishable, but his bair and uair are easily kill moves. hes big, easy to hit, and should always be on the offensive.

lastly, ftilt and dtilt ****
true, but how many people do you know that think DK has no potential? Bowser makes more sense.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
to be honest, people dont take DK too seriously; you hear "oh a good dk is dangerous" but when do people ever expect to play a good one in a tournament? he has the potential to rise to high tier if more people play him, but he's constantly put in high-low tier or low-middle because of the unpopularity.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
to be honest, people dont take DK too seriously; you hear "oh a good dk is dangerous" but when do people ever expect to play a good one in a tournament? he has the potential to rise to high tier if more people play him, but he's constantly put in high-low tier or low-middle because of the unpopularity.
if you seriously think the SBR will put him there because he's not popular you're ****ing nuts.

It's Bowser.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Dk's specials are slow and easy to punish, lol.

And how exactly is he better than MK? I think it would be kinda known if a character was an MK counter, since he's the most studied character in the game.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Dk's specials are slow and easy to punish, lol.

And how exactly is he better than MK? I think it would be kinda known if a character was an MK counter, since he's the most studied character in the game.
Dk's specials are not easy to punish so I don't know who you have been playing but obviously they are bad if you think they are easy to punish.

neutral B is almost impossible to punish because of SA and push back on shields
down b (while it is punishable with MK, why would a DK player use it against MK?
up B (grounded)one of the most hard to punish attacks in the game
side b while easy to puish it should not be used against MK any way

second of all DK does counter MK, this has been known for some time now. ask any known DK or MK player

back on topic-I think its bowser

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Dk's specials are not easy to punish so I don't know who you have been playing but obviously they are bad if you think they are easy to punish.

neutral B is almost impossible to punish
down b (while it is punishable with MK, when would a DK player use it?
up B one of the most hard to punish attacks in the game
side b while easy to puish it should not be used against MK

second of all DK does counter MK, this has been known for some time now. ask any known DK or MK player
2 out of his 4 specials are punishable. So 1/2 of his special moveset is good. Right. >.>

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
2 out of his 4 specials are punishable. So 1/2 of his special moveset is good. Right. >.>
Not overall, whatsoever

against MK, yes, but in general they are all hard to punish side b breaks shield and down b ***** everyone but floaties which is like 6 characters

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Not overall, whatsoever

against MK, yes, but in general they are all hard to punish side b breaks shield and down b ***** everyone but floaties which is like 6 characters
Ike ****s Down b. Falco ****s down b. I could go on. It hits the floor around him, an aerial approach ***** it.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
thats why good dk's dont count on their specials when vs MK, tilts, smashes, bair, and uair keep MK on the defensive. lastly, GRABS. it's just harsh.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
But the point of the hint was that the character's specials are ESSENTIAL. **** man, stay with us here.

Any idiot should know his potential, and his specials are not essential, lol. Well, up b is good, the rest can go kiss my ***.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Seriously, how the hell can anyone think it's Olimar.

Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character. But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level.
Ha.

Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK
Haha.

With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.
Three strikes and you're out.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Seriously, how the hell can anyone think it's Olimar.

Quote:
Many people are convinced that this character has no potential, and have barely put time into learning the character. But it seems a select few have seen this character's potential, and are taking it to the next level.
Ha.
actually, most people who dont go to forums alot think this character ****s,barely tries him out, and has no potential

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, this character may even have the potential to put up a fight against characters like MK
Haha. FAIL, ive used this character to fight lots of mks, hes actually able to put up a fight unlike ddd

Quote:
With effective tilts/smashes/aerials that can be punished if missed or blocked, you should make every attack with this character count.
Three strikes and you're out.
you konw what, ill give you that one

but liie i said zerosuitsamus is more probable

Snail

Smash Lord
actually, most people who dont go to forums alot think this character ****s,barely tries him out, and has no potential
I disagree. Most people do think Olimar at least has potential. In fact, I have yet to see the first list in the Tier List topic where he's put below Mid Tier, and I've seen a lot of crap there. So no, people might think he's not great, but pretty much everyone agrees he has potential.

FAIL, ive used this character to fight lots of mks, hes actually able to put up a fight unlike ddd
The matchup Olimar vs MK is rated a 4/6 on the Olimar boards, meaning Olimar has a disadvantage in this matchup. Surely he can do decently, and he can put up a fight. But the matchup is not advantageous, and it's an uphill battle.

but liie i said zerosuitsamus is more probable
BOWSER.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I noticed something. Bowser does decent against MetaKnight, but what about the other Higher Tier Characters? (Snake, G&W, Marth, Dedede, ROB, Falco, Wario)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Isn't Bowser one of the 5 characters Dedede can standing infinite? I wouldn't count that as a decent match-up. He also fails against Falco pretty badly, I'm not sure about the others though.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Isn't Bowser one of the 5 characters Dedede can standing infinite? I wouldn't count that as a decent match-up. He also fails against Falco pretty badly, I'm not sure about the others though.
Well I know that he can Infinite Wario, but that was discovered after the hint went up

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Dabuz, go quit life. You have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

"I beat an MK, the match ups are wrong!" Yeah, M2K two stocked a **** load of MK's with DDD, dos that mean DDD can actually put up a fight against MK? **** NO.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ness

his specials set him above a lot of characters, but the entire east coast is convinced he's a crappy version of lucas

great aerials, and a very punishable ground game, easy to edge guard, it fits him

and no its not dk, nobody underestimates him, and he doesn't get put on the defensive easily (sa frames bail you out of everything)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
it's mewtwo
I third this. :) (or did i misunderstand the use of the phrase " i second this " ?)

I think it's Yoshi a little more than some others. Lol at having to discuss/argue about what parts of the hint mean (like the 'specials aren't simply good but are essential' part). But i do agree it's important to make sure u're reading the hint correctly. Im gonna have to side with Mmac at least for now, that sentence means: the specials aren't awsome but they are important.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive heard strong arguements for both yoshi and bowser, but im going to have to go with yoshi, because one of the best yoshis in the world lives with me, and ive seen him put the smackdown on MK, ive seen him wavedash, and i saw him play seriously for the first time in a long time. yoshi is a lot like sonic, as a character, he is crap, but the ATs and mindgames that he can break out, make him a really solid character. and the learning curve is way steep to use him.
for the record,
yoshi can Down smash OOS, its basically his only option besides rolling, but its so good that it almost doesnt matter
and you can really punish a good yoshis grabs, they should be pivoting their grabs, it gives them the ability to have the grab range of D3 while doing a a fast grab with litttle recovery while running backwards, which gives added safety. its really too good,

its amasing (and kind of saddening as well) how characters like samus, tink, wolf, sonic and samus, have such awesome fun moves, but nobody barely ever gets to see them because even with all this cool stuff, they cant really do anything against shuttle loop and snake's f-tilt

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I third this. :) (or did i misunderstand the use of the phrase " i second this " ?)

I think it's Yoshi a little more than some others. Lol at having to discuss/argue about what parts of the hint mean (like the 'specials aren't simply good but are essential' part). But i do agree it's important to make sure u're reading the hint correctly. Im gonna have to side with Mmac at least for now, that sentence means: the specials aren't awsome but they are important.
MMac agrees it's Bowser now. And the original hint was ****ing obvious, Yoshi's specials are ****, Bowser's are not. The hint meant "Not only are they awesome, they're ESSENTIAL". How is this ****ing hard to understand. What kind of a ****ty special is ESSENTIAL.

It's ****ing Bowser, lurk moar fool.

SERIOUSLY DOODZ. IT'S ****ING BOWSER.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Every week, no matter what the hint is, Yoshi mains say it's Yoshi. I really hope they do Yoshi so all the Yoshi mains can chill out and finally be happy that they picked their character, however this one is starting to look like it is Boozer.
Besides being completely false, I find it ironic that you leave out those shouting Lucario and Olimar every week.

Top Bottom