• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Yoshi or Bowser. Mostly Bowser just because he's easy to edgeguard.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
New character = Yoshi.

Unless someone can tell me how Bowser beats MK? (I'm pretty ignorant to both characters. I'm sorry T_T)

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
The main reason I don't think it's DK is not just the "no potential" comment, it's the "only a few are taking him to an advanced level" part. That would fit very well for Yoshi (and probably Bowser), maybe Ike as well, but in nearly every region DK is at about the same spot in Ankoku's character matchups, and he has about as many firsts as GnW, it's not like Bum is single-handedly keeping DK afloat. He's also not that easy to gimp, his recovery has invincibility frames which makes him very difficult to spike (unless you're Falco). Besides, he's on much more solid ground as a Snake counter than an MK one. I agree that the rest of the hint sounds somewhat like him, but if we just ignored select facts about the hint the last hint could have been him as well.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Dk is pretty good... definatly not low tier i have no idea what you all are talking about. probably ike, he can be gimped edgeguarded often. Yoshi to. Bowers specails are good, cept for his up-b

err

Smash Journeyman
its wario.
no one ever gives him enough credit
and the bike and bite and waft are esssssential

Shök

Smash Champion
No, He has enough credit and his recovery is fine.

it's Bowser.

Sliq

Smash Master
It is Bowser. Everyone that says it isn't Bowser after this point is being put on my ignore list.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
The hint says characters LIKE MK. which I can assume is Top and high tier.

The hint says many people believe he has no potential.

This all points out to yoshi well
Yoshi holds his own against Snake,MK, Wario and Pikachu (kinda...I don't like that rodent) and kirby. Dunno about G&W.

All of this goes out the window with his specials are useful...simply because the egg roll is bad. All of his other specials will definitely be used in a match except for egg lay...but that has more use and kill properties than Egg Roll.

Yoshi is punishable with a shield grab but who isnt really? If yoshi d-airs someone a shield grab isn't going to really work since it's going to eat a shield.

Back air isn't punishable, thats why yoshi's use it, the lag time on it is almost non-existant...and apparently you can auto-cancel it (I wouldn't know because I notice no difference) seeing as that's his main approach >.>...
Then theres the n-air.
Basically all yoshi's aerials are good, smash's are good, tilts are okay...so it somewhat fits the bill.

The specials thing throws me off because of egg roll.

Yoshi's not fun to edgeguard...unless you catch him After the jump is over... in which case it's great.... but if yoshi's jumping he becomes a pain to edge guard.

Charizard seems more likely to me too... nothing he has can't be used.

Yoshi, Bowser, Charizard and Ike.
Your top 4.... >.>...determined by a penguin who types to much...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
it doesn't say that its fun to edgeguard the char, it says "and could even lead to your death if the opponent is good at edgeguarding. "

So if they are good, they could hit you in yor DJ while there are no super armor frames, therefore making u lose your DJ and therefore only have your Up B (which doesnt help much) to try to recover.

The specials part throws me off a little too. Egg Lay can be used for ELFS though, so that counts as the 'use your specials to surprise your opponent' part. Down B can be used occasionally to catch your opponent off guard and possibly KO him/her. Side B isn't very good at all. Egg Throw is useful.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
im seriously getting tired of you yoshi mains. not to be mean or anything but for the last iunno 5? character guesses (not captain falcon of course) You guys went on rants about yoshi. heck You guys extend that even further in 1/3 opf the entire tier discussion and probably the character matchups too. I dont understand what is up with that but you guys are an obnoxious Lot and i am tired of hearing how "good" or Not-horrible Yoshi Is No one cares really. were not here to spite you! we dont hate yoshi

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Yoshi mains are by far the most annoying group. They go to threads like theese and praise the hell out of their character. Have You seen the Brawl Tier Thread?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yoshi mains are by far the most annoying group. They go to threads like theese and praise the hell out of their character. Have You seen the Brawl Tier Thread?
Your not looking at it right.
I've seen yoshi main's in secondaries contest that yoshi was low tier.
And people shoot them down.
Tell me how much praise someone gives a character for asking low tier?

Those arguments were primarily over yoshi moving up to low tier.
Praising yoshi would be saying "Yoshi should move from bottom to high tier" with no tournament results to back them up.

Your confused my friend.
Also I saw no praise in this thread I saw people saying.
"This could be yoshi because- this and this- yet this hint is odd and doesn't fit but the rest could"
and it isn't yoshi, so then the next 1 comes and they say "this is definitely Zelda" then the next 1 comes and they think it could be yoshi again.

Your over-reacting, as such you and I should go play some pokemon.

Snail

Smash Lord
Your not looking at it right.
I've seen yoshi main's in secondaries contest that yoshi was low tier.
And people shoot them down.
Tell me how much praise someone gives a character for asking low tier?

Those arguments were primarily over yoshi moving up to low tier.
Praising yoshi would be saying "Yoshi should move from bottom to high tier" with no tournament results to back them up.

Your confused my friend.
Also I saw no praise in this thread I saw people saying.
"This could be yoshi because- this and this- yet this hint is odd and doesn't fit but the rest could"
and it isn't yoshi, so then the next 1 comes and they say "this is definitely Zelda" then the next 1 comes and they think it could be yoshi again.

Your over-reacting, as such you and I should go play some pokemon.
But he's right in a way, the Yoshi mains are flooding the Brawl Tier thread yelling Yoshi needs to be mid tier while he simply doesn't belong there. Yet. >_>

Either way, it has to be Bowser because unlike Yoshi, his specials are essential to playing the character, while egg roll, egg lay, the down-B thingy and egg throw are all situational.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Step 1: Flame Character for no reason
Step 2: Attempt to cause unnecessary flame war
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!

It seems I can't even make a educated guess about my character when it most likely is that character. It seems like I can't set foot anywhere without my character getting constantly bashed and being blamed for all of peoples problems. This crap doesn't belong here

Also, I disagree with the "Yoshi specials are situational, not essential" thing. It doesn't matter how situational they are (Plus his UpB isn't situational anyways) his Up, Side, and Down B's are still essential to his game, and it's important to know how and when to use his Side/Down B

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
After splitting up Zelda and Sheik, I disagree with anyone who says PT will be done as one character
PT =/= Zelda/Sheik. You can't use the same guy over and over again-you're forced to switch after a while, whether you want it or not. Besides, I can find at least one way to make the hint unobvious-make PT the last character discussed. I dunno, it's the SBR...they can hint in whatever whay the want and all we can do is guess.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It's not that Yoshi is over praised or anything.
He's just talked about on EVERY single page of tactical board.
EVERY. ONE.
And yeah I've just seen the statement "characters LIKE MK", and not him especially which is what I previously thought.
It's still not Yoshi, he can't cope with Snake or Pika or Game & Watch and others.
No bias, I like Yoshi (somewhat) :3

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's still not Yoshi, he can't cope with Snake or Pika or Game & Watch and others.
Science fact: Yoshi actually does well (compared to most people) against Snake, and is even against Pikachu (Not to sure myself, but the top Yoshi's say so...).

Plus how do the other possibles do against them? (Bowser, Ike, Sonic)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
idk i don't think it is going to be yoshi but i have been wrong before. idk who it will be so i ill stay on my plan to guess one person till i am right unless it is obvious who it will be so once again i am going lucario

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I don't think this is Sonic because you can't edgeguard him effectively.
Match-up wise, Pika and Snake from my experience aren't that hard with Sonic. A disadvantage on Snake definately, but not a big one. I'd go as far to say that Pika's even, but I can't really tell because I only get to play mediocre ones.
My guess is Bowser anyway.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Um... Olimar? He is easily edge guarded.

Edit: After reading it again, Bowser ^^ Olimar doesn't have aerials that are easily punishable and with much lag^^

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
After thinking about it a lot, I'm gonna risk and say Bowser. If I get it right, this will be 5 wins in a row XD.

BTW: Yoshi has no mandatory specials. Maybe UpB, but in the hint says some specials. Some= more than 1. Ike can't be because he can't match MK nor any top/high tier (but the hint also says that people won't say so, so who knows?

Hardest hint IMO.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
The key word here is "potential." Relative to the boards, the only character to have even attained such a status of being seen as having no potential is Bowser. Jigglypuff, Olimar, DK (how the hell did this one get brought up =\ ), Yoshi, Ike... the general populous love and believe in the mindgames you can play with these characters (except DK, who's just too good). Bowser? He sucks. He has no decent approach, he's got massive end lag, and the only things keeping him above the water is a ho-hum moveset. Bowser simply doesn't accel in any area. Not even power (DK takes that one).

I mean, I know some characters get looked down upon, but when both the casuals and competitve alike can't help but admit it... Yeah, Bowser just isn't good.

EDIT: Which is all the more surprising when Sliq comes out of nowhere and kicks your butt.

Frown

poekmon
I think it's Bowser.

99% of Yoshi mains admit that he's low/bootom tier. SamuraiPanda, on the other hand, thinks he's low mid.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
Jiggs has no easily punishable aerials, Yoshi's specials are not essential to the character.

It has to be Bowser >:o
LOL

Up B obv is and if you play any ranged spammer you know that over B is great and can even kill at some percents and down B is also good if you use it surprisingly his reg B is the only move that really is in some ways bad but if you do it right while your both off the stage its good.

and for jiggs well almost any move if you miss is punishable

Top Bottom