• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Smash Ain't no Joke" - Little Mac Matchup Discussion Thread

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Do Little Mac players have any substantial weaknesses when battling Ike?
Use your long reach. Ike has a long sword and when timed right, you can hit Mac without being in danger yourself. Mac is a close-range fighter so he has no other option than being close to you. Also use that nifty neutral air as it hits pretty far away.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Use your long reach. Ike has a long sword and when timed right, you can hit Mac without being in danger yourself. Mac is a close-range fighter so he has no other option than being close to you. Also use that nifty neutral air as it hits pretty far away.
Mac players are adept at punishing pretty much anything from a range too, though. I heard he gives Marth trouble because of his armor. And as far as recovery options go, Macs seem to be good if they don't get hit in the air before reaching the ledge.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Mac players are adept at punishing pretty much anything from a range too, though. I heard he gives Marth trouble because of his armor. And as far as recovery options go, Macs seem to be good if they don't get hit in the air before reaching the ledge.
Super armor can also be used defensively, that's true. The key is to time it right so that you can take advantage of the endlag of his smashes (particularly up smash and forward smash to a lesser extent). Bait a lot and condition him for this. Macs also use forward tilt and down tilt for spacing but Ike has a slightly longer reach (and priority, I think) so you would win the exchange.

And about the recovery, this pretty much goes for any character in the game, really. If you hit Mac just once when he is recovering, or you send him flying really far horizontally (I think Ike's down smash does this) then he's as good as gone.

Last edited:

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Excuse the double post.

Last edited:

SirBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seymorebuts
So i have a tournament and m2k is in my bracket I know he mains diddy and sonic and occasionally Rosa luma. I main little Mac and sheik who should I use against his mains? Not sheik vs diddy he has had way to much practice against sheik with diddy. But I side main ganon and I know he can kill his sonic but I need opinions on which character vs his Rosa luma and his diddy

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
So i have a tournament and m2k is in my bracket I know he mains diddy and sonic and occasionally Rosa luma. I main little Mac and sheik who should I use against his mains? Not sheik vs diddy he has had way to much practice against sheik with diddy. But I side main ganon and I know he can kill his sonic but I need opinions on which character vs his Rosa luma and his diddy
I feel Little Mac can go toe-to-toe with all of those characters, but I'm not so sure against that player. I wish you the best of luck.
Against Diddy it's important to remember your jabs can beat out his bananas and dash-grab attempts. Against Rosalina you should poke her with forward-tilt and try to knock out Luma when ever you can.

Against Sonic I recommend staying on top of him when ever you can. But honestly I still have a lot of trouble with the matchup. And would love anti-Sonic advice myself.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
In my experience you cant jab Sonics fully charged spinattack. Slipcounter will miss cus Sonic is too fast. If you spotdodge he will likely hit you anyway. If you sheild nothing happens and you are back at nutrual.

Either do a well timed smash or reversed utilt will stop the spin attack. Watchout for the spring gimp, and backtrows.
Sonic is a pain for us in my opinion.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I feel Little Mac can go toe-to-toe with all of those characters, but I'm not so sure against that player. I wish you the best of luck.
Against Diddy it's important to remember your jabs can beat out his bananas and dash-grab attempts. Against Rosalina you should poke her with forward-tilt and try to knock out Luma when ever you can.

Against Sonic I recommend staying on top of him when ever you can. But honestly I still have a lot of trouble with the matchup. And would love anti-Sonic advice myself.
Sonic huh?
The first thing that comes to mind is abuse the smash attack's Super Armour. Although, since Sonic players will have to respect the Armour, so they (most likely) won't be trying to rack up damage by getting in your face. USmash or an upward FSmash can easily punish homing attacks pretty easily... although it can be risky in case that they happen to end up behind you and you miss the Smash attack, So they CAN still punish back in that scenario. Don't be counter happy (kind of obvious), cause most Sonic players will abuse their grab range to punish. Speaking of counter, am I the only one that has an easier time connecting counters on a fully charged Spin charges and Spin Dashes, rather than the uncharged ones?

Whenever Sonic approaches with any spin dash (Down or side B) just hold Jab, since it can beat it out free, except against a fully charaged one... don't bother against those :p Although for this MU, most Sonic's will mostly use it as a way to mind game with you rather than as a damage tool. Watch out for the B-throw when you are close to the edge. It can't KO as easily as Ness' can, but its certainly up there in terms of how good it is. Also watch out for Up throw, at higher percents any decent sonic player will take the opportunity to do the up air follow-up and KO you at the ceiling.

If you somehow manage to land a grab, use that opportunity to either DThrow/ UThrow with an Up B follow up. It gets me a fair amount of kills and can kill about 100%+, depending on the stage ceiling (mind you though, I still need to test it more though) and can rack up damage pretty quickly as well..

Sonic's will usually approach from the air, since most ground options are a no-go zone for them, so watch out in case they tend to mix some things up like doing a spin-dash into a jump, Double jumping in different directions or homing attacks. Also when recovering, Spring gimps can destroy Mac is used right.

Really though, during this entire match up, Sonic players WILL keep you guessing about what they will do and can easily bait and Punish Smash attacks pretty easily, especially things like USmash (which has slightly more cool down more than his other Smash attacks) with Grabs. Although, it is possible to mash out Mac's jab if you see sonic going in for the punish.... it actually works rather well, depending on the situation. Also don't get grabbed :p lol. But really though, this matchup is either a 65-45 or 70-30 Sonic's way.
I've probably forgotten alot of stuff about this MU or I've messed up alot of info in my paragraphs, so feel free to correct me on anything if need be :p

Spudman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevets_Spud
Anyone struggle mightily in the mirror match? I just fought a Little Mac that I could not touch at all while I was Little Mac as well, but I just can't learn the matchup really.

Spudman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevets_Spud
Yeah I think given the option I'll just avoid it honestly, it's just not enjoyable. Little Mac mirror is 6:4 in your opponent's favor XD

Jayrodd

Smash Rookie
Recently started trying to get into comp smash, been playing online and one of my hardest match ups has been yoshi/pikachu. I'm not sure quite how to deal with their up air combos, then yoshi with the eggs and pika's thunder, it's just a mess overall. I know each of those match ups are unfavored, but does anyone have any idea how to deal?

Another issue I've had is sonic with his fair combos off stage, read something about lucky counters (even though it's near impossible to recover after that) so if any other strat has come up, that'd be good to know.

Last edited:

Spudman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevets_Spud
Against Yoshi myself I've actually had a pretty good time. I tend to bulldog my way in with perfect shielding on yoshi's egg throws, and be patient against his dair, be wary of his grab range, etc.

I've found most Yoshis actually have a rough time against my Little Mac, so long as I'm not reckless.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Thoughts against Mario? I've never really done this MU on either side while being good at either character, I'm just wondering what you guys think?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
One of our toughest for sure. FLUDD is honestly just too good. It negates our double jump, which is really our only hope of having a successful recovery. With that exhausted it's just a free cape every time.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
One of our toughest for sure. FLUDD is honestly just too good. It negates our double jump, which is really our only hope of having a successful recovery. With that exhausted it's just a free cape every time.
There's really no reason you should be getting hit by FLUDD or the cape if you recover low. Personally I don't use Jolt Haymaker in any match-up unless my opponent aggressively pursues me off stage and my opponent isn't expecting Jolt Haymaker.

Rising Uppercut isn't the best recovery move, but it's more difficult to gimp as the opponent has to actually go under stage to stop you. With good timing/positioning you can hit your opponent before they can dAir/bAir you. You have much more control recovering this way.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
I noticed that FLUDD doesn't hit you when you're airdodging, even though it isn't a damaging move. Timing is key here of course.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
^ Can u deal with Mario onstage then?
It's not easy. In this match-up Mario wants to stay in the air most of the time using either dAir or bAir. dAir is stupidly safe and sets up for juggles if it lands. bAir has little endlag and he'll usually space it right so you can't shield grab him and he'll probably just double jump away rather than land next to you.

Essentially you have to be very patient because Mario is just baiting for you to do something he can punish. The trick is to not stand still despite all the hit boxes Mario is throwing out. And remember you have super armor. If you mess up his spacing then it'll be easier to trade hits, which is definitely in your favor.

And obviously if Mario is fishing for grabs then you should be using jabs or forward tilt to stop him. The last thing you want to do is shield.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I feel like a lot of the matchups that were discussed haven't considered the maps youll be playing on, which will hardly ever be on FD. Smashville is likely where youll counterpick. Basically, do platform help or hinder Little Mac?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I feel like a lot of the matchups that were discussed haven't considered the maps youll be playing on, which will hardly ever be on FD. Smashville is likely where youll counterpick. Basically, do platform help or hinder Little Mac?
given how Little Mac is generally an air fighter, I would imagine that platforms generally hinder Little Mac, however, the metagame is constantly finding news air option for Mac as the metagame goes on. Things like his buffered (or non-buffered) K.O. air uppercut can prove to be fun. Then there's his dair jab lock, which combos perfectly into his sweet spot up smash. In short, I agree that we need to take into account stage as well as the MU.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
If you know what's good for you, you will never pick SV, and will ban it every set you play in.

It depends on which platforms you're talking about. The SV platform is really bad for us because we can't pressure it with moves so people, if they wanted, could hit us once and reliably camp on the platform the entire game and time us out. I've done this to a mac who has CPd me to SV. Hopefully I taught him a lesson, and hopefully none of you guys make that same mistake.

But some platforms are really great for us. The lower BF platforms are really good because we can pressure them really well, and they also give us more recovery options. Lylat platforms are the best plats, and this stage might actually be our best stage (FD and LC are definitely our two best). Can't get platform camped here, and platforms for recovery again.

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
My two bans are always Smashville and Lylat. Unless I'm up against Diddy Kong then I'll ban Town and City instead of Lylat because his juggle potential on T&C is just too strong.

I agree with @ Alphicans Alphicans on how good Little Mac is on Battlefield. Wrote a guide on the stage for LM myself. And I can somewhat see is interest in Lylat. The platforms are really easy to pressure and you can get a lot of follow ups as people attempt to get back on the floor. Buuuut Lylat's ledges are incredibly difficult to snap onto. Little Mac has severely limited recovery options AND Lylat is very strict about how you can recover. This makes Little Mac's recovery paths even more predictable and even easier to gimp.

I'd say Castle Siege, Halberd, and Delfino Plaza are all stages worth trying out.

Castle Siege can save you from falling with transitions and it also has the statue phase which has no bottom blast zone. Characters with good aerial mobility can circle camp pretty well during the phase, but with good timing/positioning Rising Uppercut will put an end to that. Just make sure not to destroy the statues because then you can't reach the top platforms. Not my most practiced stage, but I've gotten good results.

Halberd has a rather low top blast zone so that makes KOs with up-smash and Rising Uppercut that much easier. You also have the option of recovering through the stage during the first phase so that's always a good thing.

Delfino Plaza is a strange mix. You can't contest all of the platforms, but the stage also changes often enough that any platform camping will be short lived. The blast zones are small on this stage which is always good for Little Mac who relies on that one-hit to finish the job. The transitions can occasionally save your life and certain area don't have lower blast zones. But if you find yourself busy as the stage transitions back into platforms your recovery isn't always good enough to get you back onto the stage in time. I have mixed results on this stage, but it isn't really one I mind being CP'd to.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
If you know what's good for you, you will never pick SV, and will ban it every set you play in.

It depends on which platforms you're talking about. The SV platform is really bad for us because we can't pressure it with moves so people, if they wanted, could hit us once and reliably camp on the platform the entire game and time us out. I've done this to a mac who has CPd me to SV. Hopefully I taught him a lesson, and hopefully none of you guys make that same mistake.

But some platforms are really great for us. The lower BF platforms are really good because we can pressure them really well, and they also give us more recovery options. Lylat platforms are the best plats, and this stage might actually be our best stage (FD and LC are definitely our two best). Can't get platform camped here, and platforms for recovery again.
I don't know what's good for me. Just started using Mac.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Castle Siege you can get camped out on really badly. 1st transformation isn't ideal, 2nd transformation they can just destroy the statues, or just stay on top of the higher statue and they're pretty much 100% safe. 3rd Transformation is obviously great for us, just it doesn't last very long.

Halberd is pretty good for us. On the ship might actually be our best stage overall, but while on the platform phase it's one of our worst.

Delfino can be really good, but I feel like if someone wanted to they could time mac out super easy :/.

Most rulesets have duckhunt legal, so I definitely wouldn't waste a ban on lylat, especially considering how good it is for us. As far as having problems snapping to the ledge? Idk just get better at it I guess, I don't have many problems. But yeah, definitely ban SV and duckhunt. If they go to CS I'd probably switch characters. Same goes for if KJ64 or skyloft are legal. I'd stay mac for delfino, but switching might not be a bad idea.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Castle Siege you can get camped out on really badly. 1st transformation isn't ideal, 2nd transformation they can just destroy the statues, or just stay on top of the higher statue and they're pretty much 100% safe. 3rd Transformation is obviously great for us, just it doesn't last very long.

Halberd is pretty good for us. On the ship might actually be our best stage overall, but while on the platform phase it's one of our worst.

Delfino can be really good, but I feel like if someone wanted to they could time mac out super easy :/.

Most rulesets have duckhunt legal, so I definitely wouldn't waste a ban on lylat, especially considering how good it is for us. As far as having problems snapping to the ledge? Idk just get better at it I guess, I don't have many problems. But yeah, definitely ban SV and duckhunt. If they go to CS I'd probably switch characters. Same goes for if KJ64 or skyloft are legal. I'd stay mac for delfino, but switching might not be a bad idea.
To throw my two cents in, I feel Halberd or T&C are LM's best stages.
Halberd for the large stage and low platform on the ship, but even on the floating part, I feel it can be of use sometimes due to the slanting and lower section underneath. Depending on the opponent, I like to use it to help against projectiles and forcing them to come at me.
Town and City's platforms can sometimes save you when thrown off stage, and the phases end quickly enough so that they can't continue to camp one platform the whole time. I know the platforms on one of the transitions can be camped easily, but if I remember correctly, the other transition isn't as bad with this. This is just my opinion though, and I definitely prefer this stage over SV.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Diddy Kong Discussion

Alright guys, I think we should start discussing how Little Mac does in the Diddy matchup.
Diddy Kong is becoming a real threat to the rest of the Smash 4 cast, due to him having incredible options in the air and ground game, and with so many people picking him up lately. We need to prepare and see just what our options are to deal with this beast, as well as how much we can't do.

How do you feel about this matchup, and how do you handle it personally?
What stages do you think are in LM's favor in this matchup?

I personally have a lot of trouble with this matchup. His Monkey Flip(Side Special) always throws me off and takes me a few minutes to adjust to. The reason for this is because I always acknowledge it as an attack and try to shield, forgetting that it functions as a grab does unless he decides to kick. Once I remember this thought, I either spot dodge it or run back a few paces so that I stop just in front of where he lands, giving me the option to punish him.
His d-throw>uair>uair combo always wrecks my Mac and I have trouble getting out of it at all.
Then there are the banana's. They completely zone me out of an area if they land on the ground. I believe my only options are to A) Shield the banana so that it disperses, B) catch the banana, which appears to be my best option, C) if it hit's the ground, pick it up and go from there, D) jump over the banana which can be dangerous depending on the situation, or E) Slip.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Warning Received
Diddy Kong Discussion

Alright guys, I think we should start discussing how Little Mac does in the Diddy matchup.
Diddy Kong is becoming a real threat to the rest of the Smash 4 cast, due to him having incredible options in the air and ground game, and with so many people picking him up lately. We need to prepare and see just what our options are to deal with this beast, as well as how much we can't do.

I personally have a lot of trouble with this matchup. His Monkey Flip(Side Special) always throws me off and takes me a few minutes to adjust to. The reason for this is because I always acknowledge it as an attack and try to shield, forgetting that it functions as a grab does unless he decides to kick. Once I remember this thought, I either spot dodge it or run back a few paces so that I stop just in front of where he lands, giving me the option to punish him.
His d-throw>uair>uair combo always wrecks my Mac and I have trouble getting out of it at all.
Then there are the banana's. They completely zone me out of an area if they land on the ground. I believe my only options are to A) Shield the banana so that it disperses, B) catch the banana, which appears to be my best option, C) if it hit's the ground, pick it up and go from there, D) jump over the banana which can be dangerous depending on the situation, or E) Slip.
You can also jab the banana, and roll towards or away from it.
Yeah, with Diddys juggles, I see no hope for Mac. Platforms dont help, unless maybe on town and City or Lylat. I just wouldnt pick mac, but banning BF seems to be a good option. One throw and Mac is done.

Slightly off topic, but what rulesets are banning duckhunt? Is he becoming really good too? Like, I know he's a good camper, but I thought we were discovering some glaring flaws with him too! Is he like Diddy good or something?
lol

To throw my two cents in, I feel Halberd or T&C are LM's best stages.
Halberd for the large stage and low platform on the ship, but even on the floating part, I feel it can be of use sometimes due to the slanting and lower section underneath. Depending on the opponent, I like to use it to help against projectiles and forcing them to come at me.
Town and City's platforms can sometimes save you when thrown off stage, and the phases end quickly enough so that they can't continue to camp one platform the whole time. I know the platforms on one of the transitions can be camped easily, but if I remember correctly, the other transition isn't as bad with this. This is just my opinion though, and I definitely prefer this stage over SV.
Not Lylat?

Last edited by a moderator:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
You can also jab the banana, and roll towards or away from it.
Yeah, with Diddys juggles, I see no hope for Mac. Platforms dont help, unless maybe on town and City or Lylat. I just wouldnt pick mac, but banning BF seems to be a good option. One throw and Mac is done.
The option of punching the banana's slipped my mind! Rolling towards or away from it can be a pain, as you are allowing him to set up the banana in that spot and gain control.
Why are platforms bad against Diddy? I personally like taking him to a stage with platforms, like Battlefield, because it gives me more options to land. I am biased in this though, due to me hating stages with very few platforms/no platforms as LM. My reason for this is "LOOK AT ALL THAT AIR", and the fact that I HAVE to land on the ground after being air combo'd. I feel very vulnerable.
I made the mistake of counter picking Halberd against Diddy once though. Halberd is a really good stage for Diddy, but it's been a while since I did that and I've forgotten why. Anyone with insight on this would be appreciated.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA

Castle Siege is pretty bad for us in theory. But it's a stage I've done pretty well on against high-level players. I'll need to find more people to practice on that stage with to come to a better conclusion.

I wouldn't say Halberd is too bad while it's in the platform phase. Just like the 1st phase of Castle Siege the stage is very small and s it's really easy to stay on top of the opponent. The platform on Halberd is hard to reach in the middle during this phase, but it's not really that big a deal.

I don't think Delfino is bad for time outs. The stage transitions every 15 seconds so they never stay out of reach for that long. And staying on top of platforms during transitions can put them in a bad spot.

There's not really a 'getting better' at snapping to the ledge for Lylat. Little Mac's Rising Uppercut doesn't sweet spot like most other up specials. Even if you're under the stage Little Mac's fist during the Rising Uppercut extends your hurt box and allows you to be hit before you grab the ledge. Jolt Haymaer is worse for obvious reasons. Lylat is not a stage you want to go on against anyone who goes for gimps. Which any competent high-level player would do that understands Little Mac can be KO'd at any percent with two good reads.

Duck Hunt is annoying, but isn't half as problematic as say Lylat. For starters if anyone sits on the tree then they're just stalling the game. you have no reason to approach unless you're behind in percent. If you have to approach then use a full jump into Rising Uppercut to hit the opponent if they're on top of the tree. Use empty jumps to keep them guessing WHEN you'll Rising Uppercut to lower their shield and make them hesitate. You can also land on the bottom branch to pressure the opponent. It makes it even easier to Rising Uppercut. Most players will just leave the tree at this point.

I've gotten KOs around 40~50% on Duck Hunt from players trying to abuse the tree and have also timed out players who did not have a percentage advantage. The stage is annoying, but it's not as bad as Smashville or Lylat IMO.

Diddy Kong Discussion

I'd consider the matchup even. Jabs just beats so many of Diddy's options. If you just hold down the jab button Little Mac spams those one-frame punches. These destroy bananas, out range and beat Diddy's dash grab, and it also beats out Monkey Flip if Diddy uses it close range. It's also worth noting you can use side smash's super armor to move through banana peels without slipping.

Diddy still hurts really bad, but he has to change his game plan against Little Mac.

Last edited:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Play me on duckhunt I will change your mind almost certainly lmfao. Rising uppercut is NOT a reliable way to deal with platform camping.

There are only two ways to get on ANY of the platforms of the tree. 1) you upB to it, or 2) you wait for the dog to appear and use him so your jumps can actually make it up the three. Without the aid of the dog your jumps cannot get you up on the tree. If you have any % deficit you're probably going to lose. If you have a stock deficit you will certainly lose.

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Play me on duckhunt I will change your mind almost certainly lmfao. Rising uppercut is NOT a reliable way to deal with platform camping.

There are only two ways to get on ANY of the platforms of the tree. 1) you upB to it, or 2) you wait for the dog to appear and use him so your jumps can actually make it up the three. Without the aid of the dog your jumps cannot get you up on the tree. If you have any % deficit you're probably going to lose. If you have a stock deficit you will certainly lose.
I'm definitely up for someone showing me why the stage is so bad. My NNID is VenksUSA. What time are you free to play?

Last edited:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'd consider the matchup even. Jabs just beats so many of Diddy's options. If you just hold down the jab button Little Mac spams those one-frame punches. These destroy bananas, out range and beat Diddy's dash grab, and it also beats out Monkey Flip if Diddy uses it close range. It's also worth noting you can use side smash's super armor to move through banana peels without slipping.

Diddy still hurts really bad, but he has to change his game plan against Little Mac.
I'll definately have to start jabbing against diddy more. What about regular grabs>Air Combo's though? Diddy can get in on Little Mac pretty safely most of the time, and that usually allows for a free grab or punish for him.
Also, what stages would you consider counter picking and/or banning against diddy? Any you prefer?

I'd like to keep this discussion going strong until we've covered diddy kong pretty well. We've only just scratched the surface here.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Except that you're one of the few people Diddy CAN'T get in on easily because your jabs beat his grabs and nanas. You can literally just press A to win engagements, like a poorly made quick-time event. This leaves fair approaches and more patient play in which case they're fishing. If you see a fair you just punch him in his face. You're armored and he's not, so unless you whiff or positioned badly, he's going to get a nice glove-shaped imprint in his face. Granted I'm slightly oversimplifying but it's really not that bad. When it gets bad is once he HAS gotten in on you. Getting back to neutral is a bad time. Fast falling air dodge is what I try to condition for. It can get you home if you time it through the first possibly avoidable fair/uair and if you do it enough times they get complacent and forget you can counter fair for a DECISIVE return to the neutral game in your favor.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Except that you're one of the few people Diddy CAN'T get in on easily because your jabs beat his grabs and nanas. You can literally just press A to win engagements, like a poorly made quick-time event. This leaves fair approaches and more patient play in which case they're fishing. If you see a fair you just punch him in his face. You're armored and he's not, so unless you whiff or positioned badly, he's going to get a nice glove-shaped imprint in his face. Granted I'm slightly oversimplifying but it's really not that bad. When it gets bad is once he HAS gotten in on you. Getting back to neutral is a bad time. Fast falling air dodge is what I try to condition for. It can get you home if you time it through the first possibly avoidable fair/uair and if you do it enough times they get complacent and forget you can counter fair for a DECISIVE return to the neutral game in your favor.
Other than using Jabs to beat most of his moves, what else do you do to deal with Diddy's approaches? I'm sure you don't sit there and Jab all day. Are you saying that you should play Little Mac in a defensive playstyle against Diddy, throwing out attacks when able and keeping him out? What if Diddy short hop fairs you at close distance? How do you condition for the fast fall air dodge?

Top Bottom