• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 64, better than brawl?

superman969

Smash Journeyman
if you go look at the SoCal standings in Brawl, which are the only ones I've looked at (because Florida's pretty bad at Brawl) and I think there's like 2 Warios (including number 1), a Wario/GW, a DDD, a Metaknight, 1 Snake, 1 Snake / Marth, a Marth, and 2 ROBs. Wario is like, middle or high tier, and Snake's supposedly broken (lies). I'm not entirely sure how a whole bunch of 0-death combos give 64 more depth than brawl, although the lack of ANY combos does take depth out of it.

and if your friends can't get around 2 - 3 spammable Snake moves, they should probably just give up on life.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Snake's tilts are broken but not impossible to get around. They are really good tilts, but that makes up for FSmash sucking and USmash/DSmash being utility/extra specials moves. Snake doesn't seem to be broken because of specials, but overusing tilts shouldn't be hard to beat. Isn't Snake all about pressure? Or am I missing something? I'm only toying around with the character right now.

Its not so much having 0-death combos [which I fear a series of combos than one combo itself], but the actually having combos that seems to make the difference. Brawl has a few but they are petty.

I assume it's a good thing I don't play in Florida tournaments and focus all my time online then, if Florida severely sucks.

My birthday needs to come soon, so I has some permissions for teh 64s.

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
Personally I prefer brawl over 64 mainly as it has online gameplay and a larger roster, multiplay need never be a problem plus it's easy to get bored with endless combos and even if you main one character it's fun to try out the others too.
Having said that Melee owns both, it's a game of pure awesomeness.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Personally I prefer brawl over 64 mainly as it has online gameplay and a larger roster
If you count Kaillera, 64 has online, which admittedly surpasses Brawl's in both ease of connection and lag [equal to my best matches in Brawl, BEST matches]. P2P makes it less laggy, but sacrifices ease of connection.

I like Melee more than 64, but I still have no driver's license [me lazy], so I can't drive to tournaments, and people stopped playing anyways, even though I want to attend Fast1 and get *****. 64 suffices.

dirty1

Smash Cadet
melee>brawl>64 imo.

course i was never really into the 64 scene. it was onlyt ill melee that i got a lil competetive with the game.

Rampage

vx
Okay, IMO, I believe overrall, Brawl is a better game than 64, just like Melee was better. Why? Technically, it has more features, more depth, and just overall, brawl is a better game, even if slightly broken.

But

which do I prefer? SSB64. I find it to be the best party game to play with friends. It's not as competitive as Melee, nor is it just as broken as Brawl. It's the perfect mix. Also, I find that even though there;s alot more in brawl, I find there's a bit too much. ( character wise). I like the original 12, and I find Brawl too crowded with characters, and the random new items. If I was having a party with some friends, I would pop SSB64 in my N64 in a heartbeat.

Melee>Brawl>64- overall ( Brawl has too much to be ranked over melee)
Melee>64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl- competitive play ( Brawl is way too broken IMO)
64>Melee>Brawl- fun to play at parties

Now, my reasons may not be great, but I don't think that 64 is technically a better game than brawl, but I prefer it way more than brawl
...broken? gtfo noob

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
if you go look at the SoCal standings in Brawl, which are the only ones I've looked at (because Florida's pretty bad at Brawl) and I think there's like 2 Warios (including number 1), a Wario/GW, a DDD, a Metaknight, 1 Snake, 1 Snake / Marth, a Marth, and 2 ROBs. Wario is like, middle or high tier, and Snake's supposedly broken (lies). I'm not entirely sure how a whole bunch of 0-death combos give 64 more depth than brawl, although the lack of ANY combos does take depth out of it.

and if your friends can't get around 2 - 3 spammable Snake moves, they should probably just give up on life.
Nothing like saying if you cant play a game then die. (If you kill yourself its called "giving up on life right?"

And this is the only time im going to correct you because your a really annoying guy and i cannot see myself taking any real amount of time to make you look stupid.

First off STOP asuming things to make yourself sound right....0-Death combos dont make the game more deep then Brawl, the fact that you can do them, modify them, and perform them with allmost every characture does...none of this is do-able in Brawl

Secondly tiers don exist....no johns!!

And snake is broken, jk MK is...again jk stop whinning!!!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I like smash 64 it takes less effort and money to play at your house without having to see people. Not all of us have time to play smash all the time anymore, well not me anyhow.

Smash 64 is just so f**in acessible, and its the game I first liked above other n64 games when it came out, and I practiced it a lot before even knowing about smash64, I tried melee it was weird so I went back and got semi decent at smash, went back to melee and learned all the pro stuff and since then Ive been playing 64 again at a relaxed pace but Im getting better than what I used to be..

I need a **** n64 controller though my dpad style just doesnt work right with smash 64, but ill try anyway. Must make some extra dough and buy an adaptor for a n64 controller!

Melee is fun but it takes massive time and playing different human opponents to keep in good shape for, and.. online is like so difficult and hard to do no one really much does it.

Brawl is in my eyes a game very much like melee but a lot easier to play so if you know how to space and predict and be strategic you're probably pretty good at it...

But honnestly I played it for like a 4 hour period and it was fun but I dont see it lasting, 64 has been fun since it came out.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yay, yes, 64 = melee>Brawl, win.

Hmm I just of something, if you try to play both melee and 64, its not easy. if you try to play melee/64 and brawl its easy, because in brawl all you must do is mash and camp!.. /flame

Best101

Smash Ace
Smash64 needs to come to the Wii VC. I don't have a good N64 controller to play with, and the game cartridge doesn't save my progress anymore. Things tend not work after nearly 10 years of age and wear lol

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, ssb is pretty obviously a better game than brawl. brawl is just poor full stop.

but what annoys me is that people think melee/ brawl is a better party game than ssb. Trust me, i've got all three games and after all these years the original ssb is the one thats by far the most fun in drunken 4-player with items.
It's something to do with the huge stun time, better levels or somehow more painful feel the moves have- falcon punch just doesn't have that brutal crunch in melee

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Practically everyone in my local area that has known about Brawl has moved onto Brawl and forgetten the older games. (pity, no one to play Melee) However, I know plenty of players on my sports team that have played SSB64 and never heard of Brawl, so I play them every now and then, with other assorted first-person shooters.

Gameplay-wise, I prefer SSB64 slightly. The combo potential is much greater, there are only a few overpowering characters and not impossible to beat. Though the roster is minimal, the music is minimal, the stages are minimal (though they are great), and there's no air-dodging, the perspective I have of the game itself makes me focus more on the major aspects, rather than the minor aspects.

Other than gameplay, Brawl tops SSB64 by a pretty wide margin. I don't have a Kaillera, I've unfortunatley never experianced the game with wifi capabilities >.<. Other than gameplay and wifi, Brawl was merely an upgrade in other minor catagories.

I loved SSB64, it was the first video game I played (at age 7). Though everyone in my area has seemingly moved on to the newer [versions/series] of games...

Superstar

Smash Champion
It's true, I saw the whole thing.

I suck in melee and 64, I have my reasons and I'd like to be good but I still suck [it's not keyboard in 64 even though I use it]. However, trying to be good in Melee and 64 just feels more satisfying than Brawl. I only play Brawl in friendlies and that's it. The only reason I do so well on Kaillera is because for some reason most people on there seem to suck. Multi stocking people but getting multi-stocked by others still is a pretty good feeling. In Brawl I either multi-stock people or almost tie, and it doesn't feel satisfying because it took less than a month.

Tyfighter, 64 is much better once you try it's online. It's sick. Now if only I could go from Kaillera to P2P without changing the filenames, the old version of P2P was able to do that through a dropdown menu, I don't know what happened after my compy crashed. There seems to be no module for normal Kaillera play.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I aim to get one of those adaptors so I can plug my n64 controller into my computer, then Ill be way more comfortable on kaillera.

I still cream people who dont play at a high level, but say a good falcon/fox its hard to beat on a dpad controller due to some uhh.. limited options with my controller.

Ok this is my controller

Ps2 shape, with a dpad like a super nintendo one.

R1 (Grab) is destroyed from grabbing with falcon.

I use L1 to cancel melee style, Circle to jump Shorthopping is easy enough, X to attack, Square for specials and Triangle for grab.

I cant play like I could with a 64 controller though, then id have much better DI in general, wont have to buffer tilts (with a dpad if you press forward, you dash. Simple.) Wanna walk? Buffer an aeiral or jab and hold forward in the animation and youll walk at a weird pace forward.

Cant wait till I can get that adaptor.

64 smash online is the most acessible, anyone can play for cheap, you just need an ok controller or master use of keyboard (Harrrrd)

So its the best in that respect. Long live 64 smash

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hmmm, IMO it goes like this in terms of gameplay.

Melee > Brawl = 64

I think nobody will argue Melee is clearly the superior of the three in terms of gameplay.

Brawl and 64 are essentially opposites, but Brawl by far has the superior depth (like srsly, there are indeed more advanced commands in Brawl than in 64), the only thing truly bringing it down is random tripping, which sucks. Both are about equally technical IMO, but differently. Combos are easy in 64, while surviving (blocking included) is easy in Brawl.

The thing 64 doesn't have so much that that Brawl is good about is movement options. This actually makes Target Smash much better in Brawl even when it's no longer character specific.

IMO the depth to Brawl really shines more especially when you factor in team battles. Hard to explain, but the larger number of factors that can be managed in Brawl really helps emphasize strategy, which is big in team Brawls. Characters don't really have as many differences in 64 besides how ultimately effective their combos and kill moves are as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I feel combos are somewhat underestimated in Brawl. There are indeed combos, and many good ones require good technical skill to pull off. Yeah, it's not the same as the combo oriented goodness known as 64, but it's not like it's that bad in Brawl.

Yeah, my two cents. They are all fun IMO.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Combos actually exist in Brawl. You mean you didn't know? If you really want me to I can highlight the good ones and point out how they actually require a level of technical skill to pull off.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Nice joke account. Massive movement options? in Brawl? You MUST be joking boy. No dashdancing, no wavedashing, no DJC, being forced to stay on the ledge until invincibility runs out, more lag on every aerial move, this is what you call having better movement options?

Please show us your "awesome" Brawl combos. I can't wait to see you beating on lvl 1 dummies in training mode or your friends that suck.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
...it does

M3tr01D said:
I love the way brawl plays compared to N64. It rewards playing smart and strategically a lot more then the other games did I believe, because if you use stupid moves that leave you vulnerable, you get hit. In N64 and Melee you could use a move and just cancel it instantly so it was harder to penalize mistakes.
I could just take quotes from any Melee pro, but I thought it would be more fitting to get it from someone who is a 64 player.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Brawl emphasizes on mindgames, however, there is less possible mindgames than Melee, AND each mindgame has a smaller reward. With 64...mindgames have a much larger reward with 64 so it's more important to get one right against rock paper scissors shoot, but the amount you can do I think are a bit limited I think. Perhaps it's a more technical game, but eh.

There are combos in Brawl. However, only a few characters have them and they are usually pretty short and have very little variety, the same combo over and over.

Also, in 64, I beat many in Kaillera, but I get 5 stocked by some others. In Brawl, I either 3 stock everyone, tie with the rest, and barely lose against what's left. Personal experience sometimes fails in an argument, I just wanted to say it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Brawl emphasizes on mindgames, however, there is less possible mindgames than Melee, AND each mindgame has a smaller reward.
Very true. Punishing people in Brawl can usually be like, 20 damage lol.
Given the fact Melee simply allowed for so much more "to happen", mindgames were and still are plentiful.
With 64...mindgames have a much larger reward with 64 so it's more important to get one right against rock paper scissors shoot, but the amount you can do I think are a bit limited I think. Perhaps it's a more technical game, but eh.
I agree.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
64 better than brawl? IMO, no.

Some gameplay aspects are better in 64 than brawl like speed, combos, etc., but brawl feels more lively. Brawl has more characters, stages, modes, etc. It's alot funner than 64, so is melee.

Also, 64 has only 12 characters and you can use one play style to play with half of them. For example, the same way I play with Cfalcon, I can play with Donky Kong. I could never do that in Brawl, Cfalcon and DK are worlds apart. That's what makes brawl funner to play for me than 64.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
64 better than brawl? IMO, no.

Some gameplay aspects are better in 64 than brawl like speed, combos, etc., but brawl feels more lively. Brawl has more characters, stages, modes, etc.
Up to this point your post was your own opinion and an acceptable one, then after this you start spouting random untrue crap.

Also, 64 has only 12 characters and you can use one play style to play with half of them. For example, the same way I play with Cfalcon, I can play with Donky Kong.
Oh yes, Fthrow -> Usmash -> Uair -> Uair -> UpB is a combo that works so well for DK. And Falcon can definitely infinite throw trap lots of characters just like DK and he can also combo his down B into his falcon punch.

Oh wait.

NO

I could never do that in Brawl, Cfalcon and DK are worlds apart. That's what makes brawl funner to play for me than 64.
So you pretty much sucked at SSB64 and had no idea about how anything works in that game. Oh wait...

E.M.
Smash n00b

That explains everything.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
uh, you CAN dashdance in brawl, but its annoying, cuz 9/10, you will trip, and get smashed away.
dashdancing in brawl isn't real dashdancing, it's just spazzing out while staying in one spot. Dashdancing in melee and ssb64 allowed you to take much bigger dashes while dashdancing and letting you bait the opponent into attacking and missing.

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
It's clear that advanced techniques were removed to attempt to balance things out, but unfortunately, other circumstances break the balance (Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAKE!)

My preference on game depends on the character I'm using. My main is Kirby, so it's only natural I dislike Melee, because they nerfed Kirby beyond humane standards. SSB Kirby is awesome, though it's tougher to Kirbycide. However, I also like to use Roy (I never liked Marth, shoo) and that can only happen in Melee. There's obviously no Roy in SSB or Brawl, so Melee wins there. SSB one-player is repetitive and awfully easy, even on Very Hard. Melee's was most balanced, and Adventure > SSE (takes too long, can't use a single character all the way). Brawl's one-player is the toughest, but also the most annoying (Allies are just as they were in Melee, 1-vs-1 You vs. Giant Marth, etc., is just stupid/broken, All-Star is broken and doesn't really judge your skill too much, especially with characters that just take a lot of damage/are lightweight, yadayadayada) Brawl offers me my biggest lineup of characters I love to use, however. Also, Kirby got a big boost, and I can actually win in a FFA with it now instead of having to rely on Falco to do the job.

As far as stages go, Brawl wins with Lylat Cruise (thank goodness it's legal!), 75M (most fun stage ever alongside Saffron and Pokéfloats), and custom stages. However, many of the stages are also broke (Mario Bros.), annoying (Great Sea ugggggh), and simply unfair (Bridge of Eldin -- High % screws you no matter where you are; edge of stage = easy picking, middle of stage = boom). I miss quite a few stages from Melee and SSB, though -- at least I can *sorta* replicate them in custom stages, but I simply can't create a door that expels exploding Electrodes.

When it comes to tactics, I play very defensively, and I'm mediocre at combos, so Brawl's gameplay suits me best. I honestly find it easier to combo with Kirby in Brawl than in SSB due to directional throws, but that may also be because I'm older and better now (haven't played SSB with real people in quite a long time).

And of course, there's nostalgia. Metal Mario will always be #1, as will Giant DK and Master Hand. The only real Team characters are Yoshi and Kirby. Polygons > Wire Frames > Alloys. Melee made the mistake of killing board the platforms (I felt that it really tested your ability to move around / recover with your character) and then Brawl had to get rid of Race to the Finish (what's the point, seriously? I don't want to break targets twice in one game!). Individual BtTs were better, too -- Pit owns all five levels in the blink of an eye; he clearly needs tougher ones. Norfair fails compared to Brinstar as a "lava stage", Saffron > Spear Pillar (just a broken, hazardous stage -- Cresselia's Psycho Cut and Palkia's Spacial Rend are 100x more dangerous than Electrode's Selfdestruct), Jungle Japes > Rumble Falls (hate that place), etc. etc.

So... in my opinions, at least, Brawl wins in casual/fair gameplay, SSB wins in nostalgia and more balanced advanced play, and Melee's somewhere in between. I severely dislike the incredibly obvious tiers in Melee, though. I mean, did they really have to make Pikachu, Kirby, and Ness *that bad* because they were top class in SSB?

*awaits flame spam*

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
"That explains everything."

The hell it doesn't. Don't be fooled by post count. What I posted were my experiences between the games. Your experience may vary. Accept it and move on.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
"That explains everything."

The hell it doesn't. Don't be fooled by post count. What I posted were my experiences between the games. Your experience may vary. Accept it and move on.
I like how you ignore the rest of my post. And the join date only shows how recently you joined this community. Combined with how wrong your post was it shows how little you know and how you really should stop posting.

Top Bottom