• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 64, better than brawl?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well with so much hit stun it just turns into he gets the first hit in because after the first hit, if you're good, you should kill the other person.
You do know there's more potential DI in smash64 (not japan version) than in melee? You just suck at DI and are bitter most likely.

Superstar

Smash Champion
You do know there's more potential DI in smash64 (not japan version) than in melee? You just suck at DI and are bitter most likely.
I suck at DI and/or am bitter. Smash DI I assume, or the change hitstate multiple times I read [skimmed] about looking around.

cemo

white walker
dylan let's play smash 64 some time. i can't do any 0-death combos but i -can- taunt cancel, which is what this game is all about right?

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Smash64 was great back then....... Smash64 cant be compared to brawl... with online play and so much new feature its way better. In smash 64 the throws are deadly >__<

Best101

Smash Ace
Fortunately, I have. Not to forget the low gravity, certainty of returning to the stage, lack of options to space well (like dash-dancing), lack of edgeguarding possibilities, etc. But it's a fun game.

What do you guys think of Heavy Brawl?
I don't know. I hardly care enough to put the game in the Wii :laugh:, then I got to clean the disc to a perfect sparkle to get it to work.

I would play Brawl a lot more if the disc wasn't dual layered. It's too hard to get the game work when I do want to play it, but now that I got Mario Kart Wii I don't think I'll go back to playing Brawl in 3 or 4 months. I haven't played Brawl since MK:Wii came out

Superstar

Smash Champion
Smash64 was great back then....... Smash64 cant be compared to brawl... with online play and so much new feature its way better. In smash 64 the throws are deadly >__<
This thread takes competitive depth into account. Brawl has no combos, SSB64 has overpowered combos. You can be good easily in Brawl, it takes a lot of work to be good in SSB64.

After 3 months of playing Brawl I improved quickly with little effort, TOO quickly. The only improvements I've made recently were better prediction, increasing the range of the FSmash, nair->utilt and shine->dash. I'm very close to the point where there is little room for improvement, which sucks. I learned the drill combos during the first week, its not a hard game at all.

Also, the feel of combos is too good.

EDIT: Also, SSB64's online play is way better than Brawl's, ever hear of Kaillera? No friendcodes, main chat, you can make your own rooms and people join, smoother online. The only problem are the desynchs, does P2P fix that?

Best101

Smash Ace
This thread takes competitive depth into account. Brawl has no combos, SSB64 has overpowered combos. You can be good easily in Brawl, it takes a lot of work to be good in SSB64.

After 3 months of playing Brawl I improved quickly with little effort, TOO quickly. The only improvements I've made recently were better prediction, increasing the range of the FSmash, nair->utilt and shine->dash. I'm very close to the point where there is little room for improvement, which sucks. I learned the drill combos during the first week, its not a hard game at all.

Also, the feel of combos is too good.
You think that's bad? I haven't improved since day one I got Brawl lol. Every advance technique that comes out it takes me 10 minutes of practice to learn it, if I don't get it on my very first try.

Superstar

Smash Champion
You think that's bad? I haven't improved since day one I got Brawl lol. Every advance technique that comes out it takes me 10 minutes of practice to learn it, if I don't get it on my very first try.
That's another thing, training mode in Brawl is boring to use when you are on your own because there is nothing to do or practice. Only fun I had there was with the Ice Climbers, and only because they are one of the most technical in the game. SSB64's training mode has more use.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
brawl ftw!
honestly, i am just impressed on how the advanced techniques are
becoming more exclusive to spacific characters to create some
diversety

Superstar

Smash Champion
brawl ftw!
honestly, i am just impressed on how the advanced techniques are
becoming more exclusive to spacific characters to create some
diversety
But if they have so much diversity, why is it that after improving with a character from not knowing how to play for so long, I can, with little effort, pick up another?

In SSB64 [Melee moreso for me, but that's not the topic], if I try picking up another character after maining another for so long, I get pulverized.

If there is diversity, it should be much harder to pick up a secondary, due to the differences.

EDIT: Or is it that they are very diverse but all so ridiculously equally easy to main/second. So, if that's it, what's the point in the diversity, I thought diversity was good because it seperated required character skills or something to that effect.

Epsilon-Zero

Smash Rookie
Brawl>Melee>64...

Why?
I enjoy to play Brawl the most.
Melee was awesome, and still is.
64 was Awesome... but I really cant see how its better then Brawl... Other then combos... I find i could play brawl Longer then I could Melee and 64...
Maybe this is because they have lost there replay value, the games just got so boring after playing them for so long...

Brawl is New, give it some time guys... Eventually i think people will find something to make the game a little more competitive.
Competitivly:

Melee>Brawl>64( I never got into the whole compeitiveness of this game)

Superstar

Smash Champion
64 is more competitive than Brawl, if only for the sheer difficulty of being good in the game as compared to Brawl's minimal effort. I'm good in Brawl, but everyone is except for those that don't even know shieldgrab.

For what you enjoy though its alright, we have our preferences. I personally prefer Melee over 64 [actually, I don't know which one I better enjoy], and I prefer them over Brawl. If I was allowed to play online Kaillera I'd practically give up Brawl except for the occasional match. I only go on when I'm alone at home.

Brawl was already given a lot of time by a lot of people. It would need either
A) Some miracle tech that doubles hitstun and can be used anytime [but not easy].
B) A whole lot of small, usable techs that take difficulty to perform, or a sheer lot that their difficulty is in knowing which one to use at which time.
C) A version 1.1 that slightly increases hitstun and overrides 1.0 in online play. VERY unlikely given Sakurai's attitude, if he does that [1.1] it will be made LESS competitive, with even less hitstun maybe among other things.

If I recall, people state that nobody was looking for techs in the beginning of Melee's life, in Brawl they are like madmen in thousands. But meh, who knows.

Hikki

Smash Rookie
Sure. When it comes to the competitive/advanced scenario, both SSB and Melee completely own Brawl. Personally, I play all of the games competitively (if that even exists in Brawl) and I feel that Brawl just isn't appealing to competitive players the same way SSB and SSBM are because of the lack of combos/hitstun and advanced techniques. Heck, the best you can do in Brawl is an [escapable] two-hit combo, while in SSB you can do 0-Death combos and in Melee you can do combos of great extents, which are enchanced by tech-chasing, chain throwing etc. The only greater combos you can perform in Brawl are the infamous infinites, which are, in my opinion, stupid. Overall, Brawl is still a good game and is fun to play casually, but will never compare to Melee and the good ol' SSB. Finally, my "scale" would be:

Melee > Smash Brothers > Brawl

The former Smash Bros. games are just WAY too good. What feels better than comboing someone to death in SSB or frustrating someone with tech-chasing and knee combos (Captain FTW) in Melee?

Adi

Smash Lord
Hah that's not even a question, of course SSB is greater then SSBB. To this day it's one of my favorite games, although I think Melee does a little more competitive depth because there are much more option open to you in Melee than in SSB.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
They need to release SSB64 on the virtual console.

honestly, I like brawl more, but that's not to say the original isn't awesome.

Superstar

Smash Champion
However, edgeguarding is almost completely gone in Brawl. It can still be done, but just barely. In SSB64 edgeguarding was still a big mechanic.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
After 3 months of playing Brawl I improved quickly with little effort, TOO quickly. The only improvements I've made recently were better prediction, increasing the range of the FSmash, nair->utilt and shine->dash. I'm very close to the point where there is little room for improvement, which sucks. I learned the drill combos during the first week, its not a hard
Although I agreed with most things you said, never say there's nothing more to learn. It's a smashbros game. There will never be a point where you're done learning. And that's one of the main reasons I'm a smashfan.

Superstar, what do you think of Heavy Brawl?

Superstar

Smash Champion
The only thing I really have left to learn is yomi and covering up my mistakes. My last recent learning with Fox was Fsmashing in the inital dash to increase range and shine to dash attack, very little left exists at this point if at all/minus OTHER character moves and matchups. I believe this is a reason some people dislike Brawl. There is much less to learn here than in the previous two smashes.

Heavy Brawl > Regular. Utilt juggle >>>, gimping is fun, and I can chain a few more moves. However, it has a low chance of being a standard.

The only reason I play Brawl is because I'm restricted from SSB64 online. Otherwise I'd ditch it, sans a few friendlies.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
i like brawl more because i didnt figure out that ssb64 had advanced tecs untill i learned them in melee.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
i like brawl more because i didnt figure out that ssb64 had advanced tecs untill i learned them in melee.
That's a stupid reason to like brawl more then 64.

Your pretty much throwing all advance techs away if you used to play melee and your moving on to brawl. Take what you know in melee and use it in 64 >_>

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
That's a stupid reason to like brawl more then 64.

Your pretty much throwing all advance techs away if you used to play melee and your moving on to brawl. Take what you know in melee and use it in 64 >_>
Better idea!

Take what you've learned from Melee, and play melee!!!!!

or you could go to smash64 yoru call...

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
I'm going to be honest, and this'll be the only post i'll make on it.

I think Brawl is way better than the first two. The reason? Everything is more balanced. Every character has a chance at winning. In Melee, for example, most people used Marth or Falco. Those were the two "God" characters. *Sheik as well* In Brawl, no matter who you use you'll have a chance at winning.

I loved the technical aspects of 64 and Melee, but just because there's no longer any "tech skills" in Smash, doesn't mean it's a bad game. They tried to level the playing field. If you didn't know shffling in Melee, you were minced meat. Plain and simple.

So IMO, Brawl > Melee >64. Just because the cast is more balanced, doesn't mean the game is horrible.

I rest my case.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'm going to be honest, and this'll be the only post i'll make on it.

I think Brawl is way better than the first two. The reason? Everything is more balanced. Every character has a chance at winning. In Melee, for example, most people used Marth or Falco. Those were the two "God" characters. *Sheik as well* In Brawl, no matter who you use you'll have a chance at winning.

I loved the technical aspects of 64 and Melee, but just because there's no longer any "tech skills" in Smash, doesn't mean it's a bad game. They tried to level the playing field. If you didn't know shffling in Melee, you were minced meat. Plain and simple.

So IMO, Brawl > Melee >64. Just because the cast is more balanced, doesn't mean the game is horrible.

I rest my case.
Balanced? Lol *cough* snake *cough*

greenblob

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say Brawl is any more balanced than 64 or Melee. Already most tournaments are won by MK, Marth, and Snake.

Melee isn't as unbalanced as everyone makes it out to be. I'd say a good 12 characters (everyone from top to middle tier) are tournament viable, and you could also argue that Luigi, DK, and even Pikachu are usable in tournaments.

64 is probably the most balanced. Every character except Link and Samus are tournament viable.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
Brawl = Melee > 64

Yes, 64 is an amazing game, and it's the first game I ever played / got me hooked on smash.

Too bad it's only got 12 characters and 9 stages. In addition to this, there's a complete lack of defensive game, and combos usually do AT THE VERY LEAST 30-40%. I <3 this game more than any other 64 game ever made, and more than most other games, but it's nowhere near the awesomeness of Brawl and Melee.

Melee's fun as hell because of all the AT's, combos, its speed, and the competitiveness (and because Captain Falcon doesn't suck). I could go on and on about Melee's awesomeness, but the topics Brawl vs 64. When Melee is definitely tied for favorite multiplayer game of all time, along with Brawl. I understand how some people could be disappointed by Brawl, but boohoo. All the people who didn't give Brawl a chance can suck my c0ck.

So most people that played Melee competitively hate Brawl. Just because you can't wavedash or L-cancel doesn't mean the game isn't competitive. Brawl's definitely going to become more competitive with time, even though I agree that I'm surprised it hasn't been broken yet. Brawl has almost 3 times the characters that 64 does, more than 4 times the number of stages, and just because you get the first hit doesn't mean you get the first kill. I have never gotten bored of Brawl if i have a friend over / play online, but playing by yourself does suck. There isn't anything to practice and who cares about classic / all star? Doing BTT and HRC is fun, but boring after a bit. I don't see how you could NOT find Brawl fun in any way, shape, or form. It's one of the best games ever made, definitely a great 4 player game, and has it's 1v1 possibilities too.

And on a side note, people who don't have Brawl can stfu, and I think some of the Brawl hate is caused by Melee pros/competitive players who decided not to grow up, and this hate is trickling down to n00bs who wanna be accepted. That, and we're in the 64 boards haha

kay, I'm done ranting now lol. sorry bout the wall of text.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Let's see...

Combos
Better online (this statement is not a joke, but the Wii's online is)
Small, but cool and knowledgeable community

Hmm... I wonder what game I prefer...

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Okay, IMO, I believe overrall, Brawl is a better game than 64, just like Melee was better. Why? Technically, it has more features, more depth, and just overall, brawl is a better game, even if slightly broken.

But

which do I prefer? SSB64. I find it to be the best party game to play with friends. It's not as competitive as Melee, nor is it just as broken as Brawl. It's the perfect mix. Also, I find that even though there;s alot more in brawl, I find there's a bit too much. ( character wise). I like the original 12, and I find Brawl too crowded with characters, and the random new items. If I was having a party with some friends, I would pop SSB64 in my N64 in a heartbeat.

Melee>Brawl>64- overall ( Brawl has too much to be ranked over melee)
Melee>64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl- competitive play ( Brawl is way too broken IMO)
64>Melee>Brawl- fun to play at parties

Now, my reasons may not be great, but I don't think that 64 is technically a better game than brawl, but I prefer it way more than brawl

Superstar

Smash Champion
So most people that played Melee competitively hate Brawl. Just because you can't wavedash or L-cancel doesn't mean the game isn't competitive. Brawl's definitely going to become more competitive with time, even though I agree that I'm surprised it hasn't been broken yet.
That's not exactly it... I've pretty much forgot about those two until I started playing Melee again [and L-Cancel for 64], and I forget them again when I played Brawl again. I'm actually more pissed about lack of hitstun severely reducing combos.

There are some, Fox's drill combos into almost any move in his moveset, slower ones with more damage due to increasing hitstun., the best one being drill->Dsmash dealing 33% as soon as the opponent passes 50. His nair combos into a reverse utilt which may juggle some characters, and his shine combos into a dash attack [but counter somehow doesn't go up] on some fastfallers and heavies. However, there aren't as many as Melee and way less than 64.

And yes, Marthmaster92 has chugged one too many beers.

Also, I was 5 stocked in 64 several times, that never happens in Brawl. Therefore, 64 > Brawl [I love teh 5 stocks].

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Brawl = Melee > 64

Yes, 64 is an amazing game, and it's the first game I ever played / got me hooked on smash.

Too bad it's only got 12 characters and 9 stages. In addition to this, there's a complete lack of defensive game, and combos usually do AT THE VERY LEAST 30-40%. I <3 this game more than any other 64 game ever made, and more than most other games, but it's nowhere near the awesomeness of Brawl and Melee.

Melee's fun as hell because of all the AT's, combos, its speed, and the competitiveness (and because Captain Falcon doesn't suck). I could go on and on about Melee's awesomeness, but the topics Brawl vs 64. When Melee is definitely tied for favorite multiplayer game of all time, along with Brawl. I understand how some people could be disappointed by Brawl, but boohoo. All the people who didn't give Brawl a chance can suck my c0ck.

So most people that played Melee competitively hate Brawl. Just because you can't wavedash or L-cancel doesn't mean the game isn't competitive. Brawl's definitely going to become more competitive with time, even though I agree that I'm surprised it hasn't been broken yet. Brawl has almost 3 times the characters that 64 does, more than 4 times the number of stages, and just because you get the first hit doesn't mean you get the first kill. I have never gotten bored of Brawl if i have a friend over / play online, but playing by yourself does suck. There isn't anything to practice and who cares about classic / all star? Doing BTT and HRC is fun, but boring after a bit. I don't see how you could NOT find Brawl fun in any way, shape, or form. It's one of the best games ever made, definitely a great 4 player game, and has it's 1v1 possibilities too.

And on a side note, people who don't have Brawl can stfu, and I think some of the Brawl hate is caused by Melee pros/competitive players who decided not to grow up, and this hate is trickling down to n00bs who wanna be accepted. That, and we're in the 64 boards haha

If you think wavedashing and Lcancelling are the reasons people don't find brawl to be a good competitive game, then you need to stop talking now. Brawl is boring to me and many others because there's very little depth. I barely play that game and whenever I beat other people who play that game a lot by just picking snake and spamming his broken tilts. And you're a pretentious *** for saying everyone that prefers the older game is just "some noob who didn't wanna grow up".

Okay, IMO, I believe overrall, Brawl is a better game than 64, just like Melee was better. Why? Technically, it has more features, more depth, and just overall, brawl is a better game, even if slightly broken.

But

which do I prefer? SSB64. I find it to be the best party game to play with friends. It's not as competitive as Melee, nor is it just as broken as Brawl. It's the perfect mix. Also, I find that even though there;s alot more in brawl, I find there's a bit too much. ( character wise). I like the original 12, and I find Brawl too crowded with characters, and the random new items. If I was having a party with some friends, I would pop SSB64 in my N64 in a heartbeat.

Melee>Brawl>64- overall ( Brawl has too much to be ranked over melee)
Melee>64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl- competitive play ( Brawl is way too broken IMO)
64>Melee>Brawl- fun to play at parties

Now, my reasons may not be great, but I don't think that 64 is technically a better game than brawl, but I prefer it way more than brawl
Brawl is not a "technically better" game. Brawl may be more fun for casual gamers, but the gameplay suffers. Last I heard, fun came from gameplay, and Brawl's gameplay is horrid compared to melee or ssb64. All the extra crap and icing added on to brawl like characters and stages don't make up for being a crappy fighting engine.

Best101

Smash Ace
Brawl = Melee > 64

Brawl is really fun with friends. It just can't compare to Smash64 and Melee in my opinion. Melee is the best game ever made if you were to ask me, Smash64 is the second best game ever made, then followed by some Mario games and most of the Zeldas, then Brawl follows after that.

There's just something about Smash64 and Melee that makes watching a C-sticking n00bs (in Melee) fun to watch as well watching the tech crazy pros (both games). With Brawl it's boring to watch n00bs and pros play, and maybe it's because they took out all the awesomeness that makes a fighting game, combos. It's only fun playing Brawl with friends and just that.

I have a lot of reasons why I don't like Brawl as much as the other Smash Bros games (I mean a lot too lol). I don't feel like going in to it right now :)

Top Bottom