• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
trust me lol koopa i'm not continuing that argument, you don't have to worry

just gonna take the l (loss) on this and move on

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
SmashBoards completely messed up my post... :glare:

I honestly have no idea how Golden's post was repeated THRICE.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
The chart needs a Dragon Quest hero (probably Loto/Erdrick) and a Slime, I think. The series became a cultural phenomenon in Japan on the Famicom and only two games were never released on a Nintendo platform since. DQ has also been Nintendo exclusive since the mid 00s and has played a huge part in helping their systems dominate the Japanese market. All of this sets the series apart from other popular Square-Enix properties that have stronger ties with Sony (Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts) or their more obscure one-hit wonder characters like Geno or Neku.

On the Nintendo side, you may want to consider Andy and/or Sami from Advance Wars as well.

D

Deleted member

Square-Enix has not made any notion whatsoever towards Smash Bros. for any of their series nor is there considerable fan demand. The one SE character that does get considerable fan demand is Cloud (especially in Japan, according to Chrono), but it pales in comparison to that of Mega Man, who Sakurai indirectly acknowledged as a possibility, as well as Capcom throwing their supportive statements about him being in Smash.
You might be asking "then why is Layton on the chart?", well, this is why:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=37327
The concept of Layton in Smash had been brought up to both his creator (Hino) and Sakurai at the same time. With Hino's statement in an interview that he finds Layton being in Smash to be a "wonderful opportunity", it isn't unreasonable to speculate that the two had discussed about this in private sometime between this gaming talk show in 2008 and towards the beginning of Smash 4's development.

As for Advance Wars characters, there are sadly very unlikely. Little to no fan demand, no new games since Brawl, and was apparently seen as a series with no workable character, considering that the Assist for the series is a set of generic grunts and tanks rather than a defined character.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Square-Enix has not made any notion whatsoever towards Smash Bros. for any of their series nor is there considerable fan demand. The one SE character that does get considerable fan demand is Cloud (especially in Japan, according to Chrono), but it pales in comparison to that of Mega Man, who Sakurai indirectly acknowledged as a possibility, as well as Capcom throwing their supportive statements about him being in Smash.
The concept of Layton in Smash had been brought up to both his creator (Hino) and Sakurai at the same time. With Hino's statement in an interview that he finds Layton being in Smash to be a "wonderful opportunity", it isn't unreasonable to speculate that the two had discussed about this in private sometime between this gaming talk show in 2008 and towards the beginning of Smash 4's development.

As for Advance Wars characters, there are sadly very unlikely. Little to no fan demand, no new games since Brawl, and was apparently seen as a series with no workable character, considering that the Assist for the series is a set of generic grunts and tanks rather than a defined character.
You included Mr Layton, an obscure third party character because someone made a joke about including him to Sakurai and his developer?
While the modern face of Nintendo gaming is left out..... Ooooooooooookay.

I'm sure virtually every fellow game developer Sakurai comes into contact with has discussed their characters in relation to SSB whether or not someone jokes about it in front of them or not.
Sakurai isn't that fickle with his selections. Third party spots are reserved for characters who will generate significant excitement and a meaningful boost in sales of the game.

(Namco games have virtually been adopted as first party for all intensive purposes in Smash since they are working on the game. So there could be Namco exceptions to this.)

You put too much emphasis on what he says/what people say to him and not nearly enough emphasis on what reall¥ matter$ mo$t in th nd.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing is though that this guy MAKES the game. He gets to decide who HE wants. So if he publicly says he doesn't think he would want the Miis in the game, then chances are they won't be in unless he says otherwise.

My defense for Layton being on the chart is comparing it to another Solid Snake situation. Like if the two of them as friends decide they would like to do that.

Anyway, new topic, as I think at this point we're beating a dead horse about the Miis.

Why the **** is Magikarp not on this chart? :troll:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The thing is though that this guy MAKES the game. He gets to decide who HE wants. So if he publicly says he doesn't think he would want the Miis in the game, then chances are they won't be in unless he says otherwise.

My defense for Layton being on the chart is comparing it to another Solid Snake situation. Like if the two of them as friends decide they would like to do that.

Anyway, new topic, as I think at this point we're beating a dead horse about the Miis.

Why the **** is Magikarp not on this chart? :troll:
Because he would break the game worse than Meta Knight.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well if we have to change the topic to something less stupid, how about King Boo? That is one of the more skeptical choices on the chart in my eyes, but at the same time I could see why he would be on there in the context of being the closest thing to Luigi's arch nemesis in a vein to how Bowser is Mario's arch enemy. But I do question the practical side of it and the odds.

Because he would break the game worse than Meta Knight.
Only Meta Knight can break Meta Knight.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Because obviously he has to inform the public that he takes back his previous statement before he can put Mii in the game. :rolleyes:

Also, he never said that.

And for the 7th time since the GoldenYuji zealots can't comprehend this after only being told a mere 6 times: no one said the chances are that he will be in the game, rather that he is waay more likely than many others in the chart etc etc..

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well if we have to change the topic to something less stupid, how about King Boo? That is one of the more skeptical choices on the chart in my eyes, but at the same time I could see why he would be on there in the context of being the closest thing to Luigi's arch nemesis in a vein to how Bowser is Mario's arch enemy. But I do question the practical side of it and the odds.

I don't think King Boo will get in for one main reason; he has no legs.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know NOTHING of Magikarps powers. I even have a moveset.

Neutral b: Splash
Side b: Side Splash
Down b: splash
Up b: upward splash (he needs a recovery)

neutral a: splash
forward tilt a: splash
up tilt: splash
down tilt: splash

side smash: violent splash
up smash: violent upward splash
down smash: violent downward splash

The secret is that Magikarp can't jump, he can only splash. UNTIL of course, his Final Smash.

Surf: Floods the screen, and then all of his splash moves are an instant KO. He gains the ability to swim. Gyarados ain't got **** on my boy magikarp.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

The secret is that Magikarp can't jump, he can only splash. UNTIL of course, his Final Smash.

Surf: Floods the screen, and then all of his splash moves are an instant KO. He gains the ability to swim. Gyarados ain't got **** on my boy magikarp.
His Up B should be Bounce, and his Side B should be Tackle. His Final Smash should be FOCUS SASH FLAIL!!!!!!!!.......... or bigger Splash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because obviously he has to inform the public that he takes back his previous statement before he can put Mii in the game. :rolleyes:

And for the 7th time since the GoldenYuji zealots can't comprehend this after only being told a mere 6 times: no one said the chances are that he will be in the game, rather that he is waay more likely than many others in the chart etc etc..
Sorry if you're butthurt just because I, and several other people disagree with you. I meant no malice in what I said.

If you are to call other users on this site "zealots" to another user, are other people who support Mii's not YOUR zealots? I guess sharing an opinion with another person automatically makes someone a follower of another. My bad. So you know, even if you claim to not be a complete douche, your posts are beginning to falsify that.

You as well as everyone else in this conversation has repeated the same exact arguments for the Miis, and I REALLY don't want to talk about it anymore, as i'm sure most others do not. The things you have explained are the following: They are important, represent Nintendo currently etc.. From the arguments you are making, it sure seems like you are arguing for them in the game as playable, as that is essentially the same thing as arguing that they are more "likely" and/or "deserving". Not to mention that several other character on this chart outshine them in most facets.

Actually, Sakurai DOES announce to the public that they will be in the game once he announces a character on the dojo, so that point isn't as trivial as you think either.

EDIT: Also, I never said he had to say it in an interview/article, so i'm not sure why that was even brought up.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Final Smash should just be Giyarados Hyper Beaming everything in oblivion.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You included Mr Layton, an obscure third party character because someone made a joke about including him to Sakurai and his developer?
While the modern face of Nintendo gaming is left out..... Ooooooooooookay.
Obscure =/= Best Selling Non-Nintendo Series on the DS.
I don't really see that as being obscure, especially since he still has another two games (out of 7 / 8 if you count the iOS spinoff) yet to be released internationally (Azran Civilization and Professor Layton x Ace Attorney). He's even less obscure because the games are published by Nintendo outside of Japan.

Third party spots are reserved for characters who will generate significant excitement and a meaningful boost in sales of the game.
You're saying Professor Layton won't increase sales and hype for the game? Have you been living under a rock for the past 4 years? The Layton franchise is incredibly popular worldwide. Enough for it to have a two animated movies (One already being out) and a live action one coming out in the future.

Layton really is the most qualified third party character to be added into Smash, behind Pac-Man though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Listen, I personally think even with Sakurai's statements about the Miis, they should be on the chart, but they're not, and there's a valid reason why that is, and Golden isn't changing his mind, so there's not much pointing bringing it up anymore. Seriously.

It's not like Golden's not going to add them if they do end up playable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Precisely. This chart doesn't even matter at the end of the day. It's just here to keep track.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Listen, I personally think even with Sakurai's statements about the Miis, they should be on the chart, but they're not, and there's a valid reason why that is, and Golden isn't changing his mind, so there's not much pointing bringing it up anymore. Seriously.

It's not like Golden's not going to add them if they do end up playable.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The secret is that Magikarp can't jump, he can only splash. UNTIL of course, his Final splash*.

Fixed*

With 1 change this character could actually be a legitimate joke character with a minute chance of making it (Only because Sakurai likes the idea of joke characters).

I'd change his final splash to evolving into Gyarados for at least a whole minute or even the rest of the game/until he dies.

He'd be the ultimate joke character who is utterly useless in every way..... unless he gets the smash ball in which case he becomes way overpowered with by far the best final smash in the game.

You should make a support thread.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I honestly might have to do that. I think I will. I CALL MAKING IT NO ONE BETTER STEAL THIS CHANCE FROM ME!

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

Hmm. I don't necessarily agree, but fair enough.

Who's this Chrono person?

D

Deleted member

I don't think King Boo will get in for one main reason; he has no legs.
To be fair, neither does R.O.B. technically. :troll:

(I'm choosing to ignore the repeated Mii discussion. It's gotten too damn ridiculous to the point that the main advocator reached Ove levels.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I hate to hit the dead horse again but I can see a Yarn Kirby/Prince Fluff character as a possibility. Also is Mii on there? I may have missed it but I can say Miis have a great chance of being in Smash 4 unless there has been something stating otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is it suppose to be 3DS Custom Character because I don't see any blank that states Miis or has anything that looks like a Mii.
Why don't you actually read the thread?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Is it suppose to be 3DS Custom Character because I don't see any blank that states Miis or has anything that looks like a Mii.
If you read the past two pages, you would have known that Golden isn't planning on adding them back anytime soon.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok, I had read first 5-6. This poll is really not legit then because it is based on Golden's personal opinion. IMO, Mii's have about a 60% chance or more seeing their reappearance on 3DS and Wii U.

They have also been implimented in other cross overs such as Mario Kart Wii and Mario + Sonic at the Olympic games. They could be implimented easily into Smash 4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok, I had read first 5-6. This poll is really not legit then because it is based on Golden's personal opinion. IMO, Mii's have about a 60% chance or more seeing their reappearance on 3DS and Wii U.

They have also been implimented in other cross overs such as Mario Kart Wii and Mario + Sonic at the Olympic games. They could be implimented easily into Smash 4.
Whether or not I agree with you, there is absolutely no point in bringing it up anymore. They're not going to be added to the chart. Golden's ignoring Mii discussions now. You're hardly the first person to bring them up.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, I missed previous posts, I will drop it.

I will say another idea is to put Vets in this thread as well because none of them are 100% confirmed yet although it is safe to say that at least 90% of them will be back.

D

Deleted member

This poll is really not legit then because it is based on Golden's personal opinion.
Yes, because it is my personal opinion that Sakurai pretty much said they were too casual for inclusion. :rolleyes:

And no, Brawl veterans will not be added to the chart. This chart is intended for characters not playable in Brawl.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's not a poll either. It's a chart concerning the most likely additions to the roster based off of actual polls, and logical association.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I already made my case for Miis, and I agree that at this point, we're just beating a dead horse.
My only gripe is I don't think they would deserve the "unexpected" label if they are ever confirmed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive been meaning to ask, whats your logic behind the sonic characters?

not the individual characters them selves but rather why you think there's a chance we my get more sonic characters

Top Bottom